This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830773]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:05 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830774 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Beauty of a pass by Letang there!

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830775 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Beauty by 97.

Hope this game isn’t like yesterday and many other games where the team show’s offensive prowess early and suddenly assume they are Team Canada.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830776 is a reply to message #830775 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Good start

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830778 is a reply to message #830776 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Good road period!

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830781 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Out running some errands, so I can't watch the game. But I'm pleased to read The Oilers are doing well in it.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830788 is a reply to message #830781 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 11:58

Out running some errands, so I can't watch the game. But I'm pleased to read The Oilers are doing well in it.

They are gradually easing their foot off the pedal.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830790 is a reply to message #830788 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 18:34

Aww crap, thats what bit them in the bum yesterday. Thanks for 411.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830793 is a reply to message #830790 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 13:04

g2k wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 18:34

Aww crap, thats what bit them in the bum yesterday. Thanks for 411.

Foot on the throat.

4-0

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830791 is a reply to message #830788 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yep

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830787 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I hope Ludvig accidentally highsticks an Oiler today. If he doesn’t get the dog piss beaten out of him, he will be chirped the rest of the game.

Jackass.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830792 is a reply to message #830787 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Decent game for the squad today... however still leaking a lot of high grade chances.

The Oil need to work on their team speed and lateral mobility, as that would cut down on a lot of the holes in the D coverage.. They look sluggish too often.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 March 2024 13:17]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830795 is a reply to message #830792 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Is it just me or is Pickard looking like an arguably better goalie right now?

The guy is almost always solid in net for the Oil.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830797 is a reply to message #830795 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 13:27

Yeah, nice that they don’t even need to consider Campbell for playoffs.

Makes decision simple.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830801 is a reply to message #830795 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 10 March 2024 13:27

The Schwartz effect.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830794 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Good bounce back. Pens are a great opponent for us clearly :)

Dubas really needed to fire Sullivan. Pens look like a team that has completely tuned the coach out. They are old too of course but even Crosby is slacking defensively now. Team looks checked out.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830798 is a reply to message #830794 ]
Sun, 10 March 2024 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

That was awesome

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830838 is a reply to message #830773 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/edm-vs-pit/2024/03/10/2023021 022

So what happens after the 4th goal? Kane was hammering on the ice for the pass, Ekholm went to Nurse instead, then the back of the net. It looks like Kane pushes Nurse, although he's smiling, then he and Ekholm seem to push off one another and the camera cuts away. Can't tell at that point if it's just celebrations or if it's weird. The very next clip as they skate to the bench though, it looks like Kane is yelling at Ekholm.

I hope there's nothing to these rumours, but there's definitely some reason to be concerned. And if there IS smoke there, then probably a huge miss by Holland not to get a different top six guy and to move Kane out at the deadline.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830841 is a reply to message #830838 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 00:34

So what happens after the 4th goal? Kane was hammering on the ice for the pass, Ekholm went to Nurse instead, then the back of the net. It looks like Kane pushes Nurse, although he's smiling, then he and Ekholm seem to push off one another and the camera cuts away. Can't tell at that point if it's just celebrations or if it's weird. The very next clip as they skate to the bench though, it looks like Kane is yelling at Ekholm.

I hope there's nothing to these rumours, but there's definitely some reason to be concerned. And if there IS smoke there, then probably a huge miss by Holland not to get a different top six guy and to move Kane out at the deadline.

You've voiced your personal dislike for Kane in the past and are clearly on a witch hunt here; this is obviously just playful jocularity in a won game.

If this had been McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins instead of Kane, Ekholm, and Nurse, you would not have even considered bringing it up.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830842 is a reply to message #830841 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 10:07

You've voiced your personal dislike for Kane in the past and are clearly on a witch hunt here; this is obviously just playful jocularity in a won game.

If this had been McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins instead of Kane, Ekholm, and Nurse, you would not have even considered bringing it up.

Likely not, because it has be known pretty public knowledge that McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Nurse, Hyman, etc are a tight knit group of friends on and off the ice. Kane has a history of being a less than stellar teammate on the ice and the media has been hilighting some of these things as of late.

A recent playful article in the Athletic (Feb 1, by DNB) had 15 Oilers answer questions about their teammates, and one that stuck out to me was "Who is most likely to be the last person in the room for a team meeting". 80% voted Kane (12), 2 voted Skinner and one voted Foegele. An anonymous Oiler said this one is easy, “This should be unanimous”.

Is this enough to hang a player? No, but it adds fuel to an already smoldering pile. On the bright side Kane was also voted best dressed (8 votes). More smoke. Kane might be a good person, but good people can be horrible co-workers. When stuff like this arises I always try and imagine how a similar thing would effect my work place. In my experiences I would say the people who are really serious about getting the job done would be extremely annoyed and likely to be passive aggressive. The majority would be indifferent and then you would have a couple people either defending the actions, or attempting to have conversations with the person to correct the behaviour. Long story short. People as a whole do not like difficult conversations and rarely deal with personality issues up front and in the moment. A divisive coworker can create a lot of problems in a small group.

https://x.com/YahooSportsNHL/status/567817341971746816?s=20

Byfuglien throwing Kane's stuff in the shower came after Evander repeatedly dressed in casual clothing for team meetings, despite being talked to and defying team rules. Sounds like Kane can be a difficult personality and is still growing into a better human and teammate. I hope he finds it on another team.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2024 10:59]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830843 is a reply to message #830842 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 10:42

Likely not, because it has be known pretty public knowledge that McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Nurse, Hyman, etc are a tight knit group of friends on and off the ice. Kane has a history of being a less than stellar teammate on the ice and the media has been hilighting some of these things as of late.

A recent playful article in the Athletic (Feb 1, by DNB) had 15 Oilers answer questions about their teammates, and one that stuck out to me was "Who is most likely to be the last person in the room for a team meeting". 80% voted Kane (12), 2 voted Skinner and one voted Foegele. An anonymous Oiler said this one is easy, “This should be unanimous”.

Is this enough to hang a player? No, but it adds fuel to an already smoldering pile. On the bright side Kane was also voted best dressed (8 votes). More smoke. Kane might be a good person, but good people can be horrible co-workers. When stuff like this arises I always try and imagine how a similar thing would effect my work place. In my experiences I would say the people who are really serious about getting the job done would be extremely annoyed and likely to be passive aggressive. The majority would be indifferent and then you would have a couple people either defending the actions, or attempting to have conversations with the person to correct the behaviour. Long story short. People as a whole do not like difficult conversations and rarely deal with personality issues up front and in the moment. A divisive coworker can create a lot of problems in a small group.

Byfuglien throwing Kane's stuff in the shower came after Evander repeatedly dressed in casual clothing for team meetings, despite being talked to and defying team rules. Sounds like Kane can be a difficult personality and is still growing into a better human and teammate. I hope he finds it on another team.

I guess we differ in opinions on players. I don't think it's a requirement to be besties with everyone on the team. Would it be great if everyone hung out together all the time? Sure but it's not realistic. There are people in my office that I wouldn't choose to hang out with after work time but can I still work with them? Absolutely.

These guys are ridiculously competitive. You don't get to be in the NHL if you weren't. I am sure just about everyone of them has an EGO bigger than most of ours. When you are that competitive and have that big of an ego, I am sure at times guys will clash. But I can't see these guys hating eachother enough that they would jeapardize winning by avoid passing to a wide open teammate just to stick it to him like was suggested.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830844 is a reply to message #830843 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 11:08

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 10:42

I guess we differ in opinions on players. I don't think it's a requirement to be besties with everyone on the team. Would it be great if everyone hung out together all the time? Sure but it's not realistic. There are people in my office that I wouldn't choose to hang out with after work time but can I still work with them? Absolutely.

These guys are ridiculously competitive. You don't get to be in the NHL if you weren't. I am sure just about everyone of them has an EGO bigger than most of ours. When you are that competitive and have that big of an ego, I am sure at times guys will clash. But I can't see these guys hating eachother enough that they would jeapardize winning by avoid passing to a wide open teammate just to stick it to him like was suggested.

I am not going to suggest I know every NHL player, but I do know a few and they are very open to talk about despising certain teammates over their careers. Pro sports is not much different than a regular person's job in relation to how people manage different personalities. Pro sports has had many star athletes that did not fit into a team culture. The difficult personality usually moves on to a different team multiple times throughout their career. You do not need to look to far in all sports to find these type of players. Kane's past history will always play into these discussions.

And. no one is saying that Ekholm refused to pass to Kane, but I believe the inference was Kane was upset that he did not get the pass. Ekholm probably made the play he felt was correct. Kane's reaction may have been in jest, but it leaves people questioning due to his past behaviours.

Additional edit/afterthought [I agree that co-workers do not need to be best friends. It would be weird if they always were. Professionalism is paramount and if the players are in fact not trying to work with Kane then shame on them. That being said, Kane has to be professional as well and accept whatever role he gets. It's a 2-way street]

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2024 11:28]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830847 is a reply to message #830844 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 11:24

I am not going to suggest I know every NHL player, but I do know a few and they are very open to talk about despising certain teammates over their careers. Pro sports is not much different than a regular person's job in relation to how people manage different personalities. Pro sports has had many star athletes that did not fit into a team culture. The difficult personality usually moves on to a different team multiple times throughout their career. You do not need to look to far in all sports to find these type of players. Kane's past history will always play into these discussions.

And. no one is saying that Ekholm refused to pass to Kane, but I believe the inference was Kane was upset that he did not get the pass. Ekholm probably made the play he felt was correct. Kane's reaction may have been in jest, but it leaves people questioning due to his past behaviours.

Additional edit/afterthought [I agree that co-workers do not need to be best friends. It would be weird if they always were. Professionalism is paramount and if the players are in fact not trying to work with Kane then shame on them. That being said, Kane has to be professional as well and accept whatever role he gets. It's a 2-way street]

Exactly what I saw here. Ekholm not passing to Kane isn't the issue. He made a decision that looks pretty good given that it ends up in the net.

benv is correct that I have some dislike for Kane based on some of his history. I don't have a lot of patience for people who hit women - and while it gets muddy when Kane's ex-wife is concerned, there's very little doubt that the woman before that in Buffalo got badly injured after an encounter with him. There's still an impending civil trial related to that. This is not related to that though. This is directly related to the clip.

It's an awkward interaction, and the Ekholm/Kane interaction at the end of the clip is very hard to spin as a positive interaction. They clearly are yelling at each other - which is weird right after a goal is scored. I don't think you could say that Ekholm should have passed to him, either. He made a great decision on the Nurse pass, and it went in the net.

Before posting this, I watched this clip multiple times to see if I was just reading more in, but all the interaction around Kane is awkward there.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830845 is a reply to message #830838 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Nah man, you're reaching. At 0:18-0:19 it looks like playful smiling to me. Those Facebook rumors are nonsense so far. Just looking for clicks by feeding into people's preconceived feelings about the guy.

As for the team meeting stuff - some people are just chronically late for everything. I have a couple friends like that, and a wife. Doesn't mean they need to be booted from the roster.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830846 is a reply to message #830845 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 12:08

Nah man, you're reaching. At 0:18-0:19 it looks like playful smiling to me. Those Facebook rumors are nonsense so far. Just looking for clicks by feeding into people's preconceived feelings about the guy.

As for the team meeting stuff - some people are just chronically late for everything. I have a couple friends like that, and a wife. Doesn't mean they need to be booted from the roster.

Before I was married, I was a guy who was typically at least 5 mins early to everything. After I got married, I am typically at least 5-10 mins late for any event and it's not because my habits changed. So you are right about some people being late just because.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830848 is a reply to message #830846 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 12:13

Before I was married, I was a guy who was typically at least 5 mins early to everything. After I got married, I am typically at least 5-10 mins late for any event and it's not because my habits changed. So you are right about some people being late just because.

Being late to a meeting once in a while is not a big deal, but if it is always happening then it becomes alarming. Punctuality is a habit, and not an excuse for not respecting everyone's else's time. For most, work meetings have certain expectations that are understood and the group is expected to live within the rules set forth.

Not picking on you RDOF, but my question would be to you is how does being married all of a sudden change from being early to a meeting, to now being 5-10 minutes late? Is it a change in priorities? How does your being late impact the group? Do you care? Should you care?

Work and home life are separate and although they do overlap, it is pretty darn important to differentiate the two. There is no excuse for chronic lateness, but there are self-serving reasons.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830854 is a reply to message #830848 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 13:27

Being late to a meeting once in a while is not a big deal, but if it is always happening then it becomes alarming. Punctuality is a habit, and not an excuse for not respecting everyone's else's time. For most, work meetings have certain expectations that are understood and the group is expected to live within the rules set forth.

Not picking on you RDOF, but my question would be to you is how does being married all of a sudden change from being early to a meeting, to now being 5-10 minutes late? Is it a change in priorities? How does your being late impact the group? Do you care? Should you care?

Work and home life are separate and although they do overlap, it is pretty darn important to differentiate the two. There is no excuse for chronic lateness, but there are self-serving reasons.

I should have clarified. I am not late ever for work related things or anything when I am by myself. I am only late when I am going somewhere with my wife. She is one of those people who are always behind.

I even have gone so far as to say to her "you don't have to buy me a single present for anything at all for 1 year if you will guarantee we will always be on time". She said no. icon_lol

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2024 16:51]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830869 is a reply to message #830854 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 20:42 Go to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 16:49

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2024 13:27

I should have clarified. I am not late ever for work related things or anything when I am by myself. I am only late when I am going somewhere with my wife. She is one of those people who are always behind.

I even have gone so far as to say to her "you don't have to buy me a single present for anything at all for 1 year if you will guarantee we will always be on time". She said no. icon_lol

lol. This I understand and I share your pain.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830850 is a reply to message #830845 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Yeah, I noted the smile too. It's just weird. Nurse isn't smiling from that shove. And then when Ekholm comes in there's another shove that the camera cuts away from so it's hard to know what it is. If that was the sum total, I probably don't say anything - but then the camera cuts back as they're skating to the bench and Kane is gesturing to Ekholm and saying something and he looks anything but jocular or happy there - which is weird because they just scored and it's 4-0.

I agree with the above points about not needing to like all your teammates. I agree that breathless coverage of whether Kane and McDavid are facebook friends or Insta followers is silly. But I do think there's some danger signs here and we've seen before that where things have gone south with Kane, he's occasionally left a lot of scorched earth. I hope that's not what's going on, but between this, complaining about his ice time during a long winning streak, and then some of these other little things and it is something that is a little concerning.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Pittsburgh (Game #63) [message #830851 is a reply to message #830850 ]
Wed, 13 March 2024 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASxwaYgqOy8
TNT had mostly the same shots.

I kind of think Kane banged his stick so hard to draw the defender towards him and was excited he opened up the space for Nurse.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Previous Topic:GDT: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Next Topic:Pregame: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca