Wed, 26 July 2023 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 12:28

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 11:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 09:57

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 09:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 July 2023 15:58

I really like the signing. On paper, he brings everything the Oilers needed for a top 6 RW. They needed an upgrade on Yamo in the top 6 but also preferably didn't lose out on the things Yamo was doing for the Oilers already. What did Yamo do for the Oilers that Brown does as well:
- played in the top 6.
- can play with skill players and not have the play die.
- can kill penalties.
- has a sense of defensive hockey.
- Forechecks and goes after pucks.
Brown does all of that.

How is Brown an upgrade:
- He's bigger. Brown is 6'0, 183, Yamo is listed at 5'8, 153. I call BS on Yamo but maybe he's that. So 30lbs heavier and 4 inches taller. That's significant for going to get pucks, mucking in corners, going to the net and playing in the harder areas, scoring in the playoffs and durability. Yamo can't change his size.
- Brown is faster. Yamo skated OK but he wasn't a burner.
- Brown is known to be more aggressive and harder on the forecheck.
- Brown is a better PK guy, something the Oilers need to improve on.
- He's also better defensively.
- He's got more experience.

I think it's shows some creativity on the part of the Oilers to be able to bring in a RW that checks all the boxes they needed. Yes it kicks his salary down the road but they are a better team upfront today. People want them to go for it, this is going for it.

Thanks for that RD.. I think his productivity is a concern plus his new knee may make him a lot rusty at the games frantic pace. McD loves him so that may make him a good add and as RD rightly points out he is bigger than 5'3 Yammo (he's a short and super light dude by a lot no way he's 5'8 except on skates). Yammo was so easy to push off the puck and doesn't have the IQ to avoid the big hits.

I'm not sold that Connor Brown is the perfect replacement for Yammo, hope I'm wrong.

I look at it as the guys who played the last RW spot for the Oilers who had the #1 offence in the league last year were JP and Yamo.

JP in 58 games scored 5 goals, 14 pts
Yamo in 58 games scored 10 goals, 25 pts.

So I think it's all in how you look at it. If a person is wanting Brown to put up 30 goals and 70 pts, that might be a bit of a stretch. In my opinion, Brown needs to score more than 10 goals, 25 pts to be an upgrade on the best of the bunch which was Yamo. Soif he put up 20 goals and 40 pts, both things he's done before and should be attainable plus do all the things I listed and be a bigger body than Yamo, that would be a big time upgrade.

This is why it's a bad signing. The best case scenario is probably 20-20-40 and only a middling improvement from the Yammo / PJ slow motion debacle.. It kind of solves the cap problem for this year and the cost of increasing the cap problem for next season. Not that scoring goals matters to the Oilers, they're already good at that. They needed to figure out how to stop goals.

I said the low end that can probably be expected is 20G 40 pts. I base that on the fact he's done it several times playing with players who no disrespect to them, are not on the level of McD or Leon. So if he can put up those modest numbers with are the same as what Yamo did in 21-22 plus be a bigger body and be better defensively. Then I see it as an upgrade. If he can produce more which with how McD and Leon are playing, I think that is very possible plus be better defensively that Yamo and be better on the PK than Yamo, then I see it as a big upgrade.

His career high is 21 goals and 43 points (in different years). If you're signing someone expecting a career high type season, you're being foolish. 10-20-30 should not be considered a bad year for a guy with a career best of 43 coming back from a major injury.

He better be better defensively than Yamojarvi.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825046 is a reply to message #825045 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 13:12

I really like the signing. On paper, he brings everything the Oilers needed for a top 6 RW. They needed an upgrade on Yamo in the top 6 but also preferably didn't lose out on the things Yamo was doing for the Oilers already. What did Yamo do for the Oilers that Brown does as well:
- played in the top 6.
- can kill penalties.
Brown does all of that.

How is Brown an upgrade:
- He's bigger. Brown is 6'0, 183, Yamo is listed at 5'8, 153. I call BS on Yamo but maybe he's that. So 30lbs heavier and 4 inches taller. That's significant for going to get pucks, mucking in corners, going to the net and playing in the harder areas, scoring in the playoffs and durability. Yamo can't change his size.

I think it's shows some creativity on the part of the Oilers to be able to bring in a RW that checks all the boxes they needed. Yes it kicks his salary down the road but they are a better team upfront today. People want them to go for it, this is going for it.

Thanks for that RD.. I think his productivity is a concern plus his new knee may make him a lot rusty at the games frantic pace. McD loves him so that may make him a good add and as RD rightly points out he is bigger than 5'3 Yammo (he's a short and super light dude by a lot no way he's 5'8 except on skates). Yammo was so easy to push off the puck and doesn't have the IQ to avoid the big hits.

I'm not sold that Connor Brown is the perfect replacement for Yammo, hope I'm wrong.

I look at it as the guys who played the last RW spot for the Oilers who had the #1 offence in the league last year were JP and Yamo.

So I think it's all in how you look at it. If a person is wanting Brown to put up 30 goals and 70 pts, that might be a bit of a stretch. In my opinion, Brown needs to score more than 10 goals, 25 pts to be an upgrade on the best of the bunch which was Yamo. Soif he put up 20 goals and 40 pts, both things he's done before and should be attainable plus do all the things I listed and be a bigger body than Yamo, that would be a big time upgrade.

This is why it's a bad signing. The best case scenario is probably 20-20-40 and only a middling improvement from the Yammo / PJ slow motion debacle.. It kind of solves the cap problem for this year and the cost of increasing the cap problem for next season. Not that scoring goals matters to the Oilers, they're already good at that. They needed to figure out how to stop goals.

I said the low end that can probably be expected is 20G 40 pts. I base that on the fact he's done it several times playing with players who no disrespect to them, are not on the level of McD or Leon. So if he can put up those modest numbers with are the same as what Yamo did in 21-22 plus be a bigger body and be better defensively. Then I see it as an upgrade. If he can produce more which with how McD and Leon are playing, I think that is very possible plus be better defensively that Yamo and be better on the PK than Yamo, then I see it as a big upgrade.

His career high is 21 goals and 43 points (in different years). If you're signing someone expecting a career high type season, you're being foolish. 10-20-30 should not be considered a bad year for a guy with a career best of 43 coming back from a major injury.

Hyman's career high in goals and points was 21 G 41 pts in 71 games.

First year as an Oiler playing with on of McD or Leon as his center, 27G, 54 pts in 76 games, career high. Last season 36G, 83 pts in 79 games playing with one of McD or Leon as his center. Do I expect Hyman to score last years numbers every season? Of course not but do I think he will be higher than his previous career high of 21 and 41 for most of the seasons in his contract? Yes I do.

I know you don't like to say anything remotely positive about anything Oilers but is it unrealistic to think Brown could potentially improve on his career highs to some degree? No it is not.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825047 is a reply to message #825046 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 13:58

First year as an Oiler playing with on of McD or Leon as his center, 27G, 54 pts in 76 games, career high. Last season 36G, 83 pts in 79 games playing with one of McD or Leon as his center. Do I expect Hyman to score last years numbers every season? Of course not but do I think he will be higher than his previous career high of 21 and 41 for most of the seasons in his contract? Yes I do.

I know you don't like to say anything remotely positive about anything Oilers but is it unrealistic to think Brown could potentially improve on his career highs to some degree? No it is not.

It's not. The potential is certainly there. I would just caution against expecting that to happen, there is some risk of a career average year. Which makes some risk of team expectations not being met before Drai's contract is up.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825048 is a reply to message #825047 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 14:44

It's not. The potential is certainly there. I would just caution against expecting that to happen, there is some risk of a career average year. Which makes some risk of team expectations not being met before Drai's contract is up.

There is risk with any free agent signing. Heck, there is a risk with players who are already under contract. If we weren't up against the cap the Brown signing would not even be a talking point. We can deliberate the signing all day long, but the proof will be in the pudding and we need to see what the regular season brings us. The player is a solid gamble, but the deferred money sucks. I would take a recovering Brown over a smallish injury prone Yamo or Puljujarvi on most days.

Weak UFA pool and the team needed move all-in. This is Holland's gamble and the future issues of the deferred money is next years problem.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825050 is a reply to message #825048 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 15:12

There is risk with any free agent signing. Heck, there is a risk with players who are already under contract. If we weren't up against the cap the Brown signing would not even be a talking point. We can deliberate the signing all day long, but the proof will be in the pudding and we need to see what the regular season brings us. The player is a solid gamble, but the deferred money sucks. I would take a recovering Brown over a smallish injury prone Yamo or Puljujarvi on most days.

Weak UFA pool and the team needed move all-in. This is Holland's gamble and the future issues of the deferred money is next years problem.

Sure, there's risk everywhere with everything. The question is whether or not it's the appropriate risk to take. If the Oilers' need was scoring, roll the dice. Especially if next year's cap isn't all that important. That would be a good risk. But if this year and next year is important and the Oilers need to figure out how to stop goals, a guy who may have mobility issues may not be the best risk.

If Connor Brown is the all-in move, the Oilers are probably already done. But that's what happens when you make bad gambles and continually, endlessly, defer solving problems until some point in the future where they'll be next year's problem.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825052 is a reply to message #825050 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 15:42

Sure, there's risk everywhere with everything. The question is whether or not it's the appropriate risk to take. If the Oilers' need was scoring, roll the dice. Especially if next year's cap isn't all that important. That would be a good risk. But if this year and next year is important and the Oilers need to figure out how to stop goals, a guy who may have mobility issues may not be the best risk.

If Connor Brown is the all-in move, the Oilers are probably already done. But that's what happens when you make bad gambles and continually, endlessly, defer solving problems until some point in the future where they'll be next year's problem.

You strike me as the type that will see the fault in every thing. I bet if the Oilers announce they signed Bouchard to an 8 yr, 3 mill per season deal, you'd complain about the term length.

Do you actually even cheer for the Oilers? Serious question. I don't expect a person to like every single move they make, even I don't like everything they do but not every move is bad.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825057 is a reply to message #825052 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 15:52

You strike me as the type that will see the fault in every thing. I bet if the Oilers announce they signed Bouchard to an 8 yr, 3 mill per season deal, you'd complain about the term length.

Do you actually even cheer for the Oilers? Serious question. I don't expect a person to like every single move they make, even I don't like everything they do but not every move is bad.

I cheer for the Oilers so much I actually want them to do smart things. Sadly, I've watched how the team has behaved for the last 24 years and I've found if my default setting is 'that move was poorly conceived' I'm rarely surprised.

Truth be told I think age and the Oilers have killed my ability to actually be a fan. It's been a rather numbing couple (few?) decades. I enjoy hockey in general and the business of hockey more that did when I was a true blue Oilers fans, but have almost no emotional investment in how the Oilers do. The playoffs were super fun more me despite being very aware they were going to lose to vastly superior teams. The AJHL gives me better bang for entertainment buck now. But when I pay zero dollars to get hours of content here and only watch hockey and from definitely legal streams of games, the Oilers and NHL nudge ahead.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825051 is a reply to message #825048 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I agree. There are so many things that can happen we don't know about. People want the Oilers to go for it. This is going for it. Apparently Brown had offers from other teams for around 4 mill. I assume they were probably weaker teams and he wanted a chance to win plus the chance to probably play with McD and potentially super inflate his numbers for a big contract. There is risk in every single free agent deal but I think this was a pretty good bet to try.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825056 is a reply to message #825051 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 15:48

I agree. There are so many things that can happen we don't know about. People want the Oilers to go for it. This is going for it. Apparently Brown had offers from other teams for around 4 mill. I assume they were probably weaker teams and he wanted a chance to win plus the chance to probably play with McD and potentially super inflate his numbers for a big contract. There is risk in every single free agent deal but I think this was a pretty good bet to try.

*IF* Brown did get offers around 4 million, it's another failure from Holland not to leverage playing with McDavid and having a totally legit chance to win a cup into a smaller 'show me' contract. Of course it seems more likely that rumor was created to justify blowing up next year's cap. Better hope the cap goes way up next year because this is looking a lot like the only chance the Oilers will have to go for it.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825058 is a reply to message #825056 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 16:17

*IF* Brown did get offers around 4 million, it's another failure from Holland not to leverage playing with McDavid and having a totally legit chance to win a cup into a smaller 'show me' contract. Of course it seems more likely that rumor was created to justify blowing up next year's cap. Better hope the cap goes way up next year because this is looking a lot like the only chance the Oilers will have to go for it.

OK. Thanks. icon_lol

I hope things get better for you so you aren't so miserable all the time. I am being genuine. It has to suck being angry about something all the time.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825059 is a reply to message #825058 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 16:27

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 16:17

OK. Thanks. icon_lol

I hope things get better for you so you aren't so miserable all the time. I am being genuine. It has to suck being angry about something all the time.

Do you realize how rude it is to assume that someone is full-time miserable simply because they're making legitimate critiques? CrusaderPi is making a rational, well-thought out argument here as to why the Oilers move isn't likely a game-changer for the team.

RDOF, you regularly go off about feeling people are treating you poorly here when they debate you. Maybe you don't realize how that comes off, but it doesn't exactly show you as a sunshine-y person. You also have a habit of absolutely hating certain players and cheering on their failures in life as if them not getting the next contract somehow wins you money or something. Again - it's not something that would lead anyone here to picture you as the model of gaiety. Would you appreciate being told that you were hopelessly depressed or that you were angry at the world all the time? You've certainly shown a lot more rage than CrusaderPi ever has at this stuff, so I might suggest leaving that kind of comment off your posts and stick to trying to make rational arguments to support your position. You'll come off much more likeable and you're more likely to convince someone you're right than when you're trying to dismiss people's arguments as emotionally-driven due to deep-seated unhappiness in life.

Honestly, it's just a lot more mature to leave that kind of snide insult out of your posts too.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 July 2023 21:26]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825054 is a reply to message #825045 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 13:12

- played in the top 6.
- can kill penalties.
Brown does all of that.

How is Brown an upgrade:

This is the kind of Oilers Math that management excels at. Take someone's best results ever, imagine that he must immediately get a huge bump playing with Connor McDavid, take a big swing.

Brown's best seasons are similar to the best seasons for Yamamoto or Puljujarvi so expecting much greater than that isn't a realistic approach and it's likely to end up with everyone disappointed.

Now, you could argue that he's saving considerable cap room this year versus Yamamoto, so it's all good, but considering you'll be paying $3MM for him not to play here next year, it's only beneficial really if that next year's cap space isn't critical. I'd argue it really, really is - maybe even moreso if you only kick the Bouchard issue one year down the road this summer.

As you say, if this is the big bet...well, it's not great. I just keep coming back to the thought that A) if McDavid is getting you guys, he should be shooting a little higher up the talent ladder, and B) if they're coming to play with McDavid, they should be giving a little more back to the team rather than taking top dollar every single time. That all comes down to competent management though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825064 is a reply to message #825054 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

And as Pi said, it's next year's problem but to add to it, it's the next GM's problem.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825065 is a reply to message #825064 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 11:08

And as Pi said, it's next year's problem but to add to it, it's the next GM's problem.

And screw that guy! Also the fans. Screw them too.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825068 is a reply to message #825065 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 11:12

It's only fair. Tambo had to deal with Lowe's mess. MacT had to deal with Tambo's. Chia with MacT's. Holland with Chia's.

It's actually really nice to leave a pile of crap behind. It gives the next guy an excuse they can ride for 2-3 years.

Obviously we all have to ignore how the people above the GM just sat there, letting the outgoing guy do things that will handcuff the next guy.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 July 2023 12:01]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825069 is a reply to message #825068 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 11:59

It's only fair. Tambo had to deal with Lowe's mess. MacT had to deal with Tambo's. Chia with MacT's. Holland with Chia's.

It's actually really nice to leave a pile of crap behind. It gives the next guy an excuse they can ride for 2-3 years.

Obviously we all have to ignore how the people above the GM just sat there, letting the outgoing guy do things that will handcuff the next guy.

It's still mind-boggling that the Oilers allowed Chiarelli to sign a big deal committing us to a goalie for three years the same week that they fired him.

The ownership and upper management has been extremely patient with multiple GMs now who have refused to really set any goals or timelines for team success or who are quite happy to just throw their hands up and suggest that they just couldn't possibly have been successful because of any number of external factors - including their predecessors mistakes.

I honestly can't think of another team where a new GM has tried to set the expectation that they are screwed for 2-3 years due to the moves of the guy who just left - Holland's probably the only one, because most teams would have asked applicants to explain how they're going to turn things around...

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825070 is a reply to message #825069 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 12:36

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 11:59

It's still mind-boggling that the Oilers allowed Chiarelli to sign a big deal committing us to a goalie for three years the same week that they fired him.

The ownership and upper management has been extremely patient with multiple GMs now who have refused to really set any goals or timelines for team success or who are quite happy to just throw their hands up and suggest that they just couldn't possibly have been successful because of any number of external factors - including their predecessors mistakes.

I honestly can't think of another team where a new GM has tried to set the expectation that they are screwed for 2-3 years due to the moves of the guy who just left - Holland's probably the only one, because most teams would have asked applicants to explain how they're going to turn things around...

Well, when you rely on manipulation and sell hope you tend to hang onto that hope for as long as it lasts ... and it lasts until the situation is desperate. Then you desperately start looking for a new source of hope. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Don't worry though, the Oilers will have Cap Space in two years.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825090 is a reply to message #825070 ]
Fri, 28 July 2023 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You didn't think the 'new' kid line of Gagner Cogliano and Thoreson (or Nilsson) was the key to our long term success?
What about the 'NEW new' kid line of Hall Nuge and Eberle? When they brought on Magnus Paajarvi Svenson and Linus Omark they could even spell hope! How can you not SELL hope when you can SPELL hope???

[Updated on: Fri, 28 July 2023 09:06]

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825091 is a reply to message #825070 ]
Fri, 28 July 2023 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilersNation running with the Stauffer...umm...guarantee?

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here

It's interesting to see his math - which is just A) can the Oilers potentially afford higher salaries and B) can anyone else take both guys?

That, of course, fundamentally misses the point that if they don't believe that the Oilers have the management to build a winning team around them that is likely to be a bigger factor than the money. They're going to get paid whereever they go.

And the fact that they reach free agency at different times, and that the Oilers will have to stare down the barrel of losing them for nothing if they don't sign in the summer before their deal expires and there's a pretty good chance that they might end up playing for different teams for some of their career. Gretzky and Messier managed to live with not being in the same city. I'm sure that Draisaitl & McDavid could too...especially if it gave them a better shot at winning a Cup.

The problem to me is that they should feel robbed right now by the Oilers. Here's the aggregate scoring stats from the past five seasons:

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbcl id=IwAR1OGfJxaR0ZVX4rKSqJYm-zwGy--ifG71iPu3B2hWn2D9LkTSocUcB Ju2A

McDavid - 360 GP, 594 pts
Draisaitl - 369 GP, 537 pts
MacKinnon - 335 GP, 456 pts
Panarin - 347 GP, 428 pts
Marner - 348 GP, 424 pts
Pastrnak - 338 GP, 414 pts
Matthews - 337 GP, 410 pts
Kane - 358 GP, 409 pts
Marchand - 345 GP, 403 pts
Huberdeau - 365 GP, 401 pts

They have been ridiculously dominant but the team hasn't been to the Finals, hasn't won a divisional title, have only made it past the second round once and only made it TO the second round twice.

Even if you look at playoff scoring over the same period, McDavid is the 5th highest scorer with 66 points in 36 games and Draisaitl's 9th with 61 in 36 games. No one else in the top 30 scorers have played less than 50 games. They've been sensational and the Oilers just continue to struggle to build a team around them.

It should be said, that's with both of them on very team-friendly deals too, and yet the Oilers constantly waste cap space with poor contract negotiations and bad decisions creating dead cap.

Ultimately, it is all going to come down to wins and losses the next couple years. The imaginary number of "greater than 50% chance" buys a little more hope for fans desperate to hear it, but if the Oilers don't win, then absolutely no one should expect them to stay. They've done everything in their power to compel the team forward, so if after over a decade the team hasn't been able to properly build around them? Then who could blame them if they decide to try somewhere else.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825100 is a reply to message #825091 ]
Mon, 31 July 2023 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 July 2023 12:07

OilersNation running with the Stauffer...umm...guarantee?

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here

It's interesting to see his math - which is just A) can the Oilers potentially afford higher salaries and B) can anyone else take both guys?

That, of course, fundamentally misses the point that if they don't believe that the Oilers have the management to build a winning team around them that is likely to be a bigger factor than the money. They're going to get paid whereever they go.

And the fact that they reach free agency at different times, and that the Oilers will have to stare down the barrel of losing them for nothing if they don't sign in the summer before their deal expires and there's a pretty good chance that they might end up playing for different teams for some of their career. Gretzky and Messier managed to live with not being in the same city. I'm sure that Draisaitl & McDavid could too...especially if it gave them a better shot at winning a Cup.

The problem to me is that they should feel robbed right now by the Oilers. Here's the aggregate scoring stats from the past five seasons:

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbcl id=IwAR1OGfJxaR0ZVX4rKSqJYm-zwGy--ifG71iPu3B2hWn2D9LkTSocUcB Ju2A

McDavid - 360 GP, 594 pts
Draisaitl - 369 GP, 537 pts
MacKinnon - 335 GP, 456 pts
Panarin - 347 GP, 428 pts
Marner - 348 GP, 424 pts
Pastrnak - 338 GP, 414 pts
Matthews - 337 GP, 410 pts
Kane - 358 GP, 409 pts
Marchand - 345 GP, 403 pts
Huberdeau - 365 GP, 401 pts

They have been ridiculously dominant but the team hasn't been to the Finals, hasn't won a divisional title, have only made it past the second round once and only made it TO the second round twice.

Even if you look at playoff scoring over the same period, McDavid is the 5th highest scorer with 66 points in 36 games and Draisaitl's 9th with 61 in 36 games. No one else in the top 30 scorers have played less than 50 games. They've been sensational and the Oilers just continue to struggle to build a team around them.

It should be said, that's with both of them on very team-friendly deals too, and yet the Oilers constantly waste cap space with poor contract negotiations and bad decisions creating dead cap.

Ultimately, it is all going to come down to wins and losses the next couple years. The imaginary number of "greater than 50% chance" buys a little more hope for fans desperate to hear it, but if the Oilers don't win, then absolutely no one should expect them to stay. They've done everything in their power to compel the team forward, so if after over a decade the team hasn't been able to properly build around them? Then who could blame them if they decide to try somewhere else.

I would not blame them if they went elsewhere, but a huge tell for the future will be next summer. If Draisaitl signs a 5-8 year extension then I am pretty confident we will get McDavid under contract and I would not be shocked to see their contracts with coinciding UFA dates.

Being top 1-5 team in the league in the regular season would probably give them some confidence that they have the pieces here to win. Bob does have a point though. These two are not taking a discount wherever they go, and I cannot think of too many contenders better than Edmonton who could even take one of them on without moving significant talent and salary out.

Time will tell, but as a fan I am not overly concerned. Like most Cup winners, it does not come easy and every team that wins it faces multiple bumps in the road prior to a championship. Once you enter the Cup contender phase, luck and health becomes almost as important as skill.

As fans I think we should take a moment to enjoy this time and not live in constant dread. The window is open, breath it in.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825132 is a reply to message #825100 ]
Wed, 02 August 2023 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'll tell you one thing... lose one of those two not named Connor and I *might* have to reconsider my fan choices.

*might*

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825136 is a reply to message #825100 ]
Wed, 02 August 2023 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 31 July 2023 11:21

Time will tell, but as a fan I am not overly concerned. Like most Cup winners, it does not come easy and every team that wins it faces multiple bumps in the road prior to a championship. Once you enter the Cup contender phase, luck and health becomes almost as important as skill.

As fans I think we should take a moment to enjoy this time and not live in constant dread. The window is open, breath it in.

I think my question is whether management has put us in a position to win, given that the window is very small right now before there's a decision point. I also think that it's somewhat disgraceful that the last 5 years haven't been the window, because there's really no excuse for the Oilers not to have been one of the top teams in the NHL since 2017 and both Chiarelli and Holland share a ton of blame for that. They lacked urgency to be competitive consistently and refused to even consider themselves a contender for fear it would put too much of a target on their own backs.

While I agree that health is important, I think you make your own luck in big part. Winning teams have high expectations of themselves, and they push each other forward as a result. I don't really think we can blame luck or health for falling short the last two years. Mostly, it's been bad personnel decisions, most notably in goal.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825137 is a reply to message #825136 ]
Wed, 02 August 2023 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 August 2023 16:07

I think my question is whether management has put us in a position to win, given that the window is very small right now before there's a decision point. I also think that it's somewhat disgraceful that the last 5 years haven't been the window, because there's really no excuse for the Oilers not to have been one of the top teams in the NHL since 2017 and both Chiarelli and Holland share a ton of blame for that. They lacked urgency to be competitive consistently and refused to even consider themselves a contender for fear it would put too much of a target on their own backs.

While I agree that health is important, I think you make your own luck in big part. Winning teams have high expectations of themselves, and they push each other forward as a result. I don't really think we can blame luck or health for falling short the last two years. Mostly, it's been bad personnel decisions, most notably in goal.

...and defense.

I think it should be pointed out that the Oilers have been pretty healthy for the last couple of years. At least that's my perception. I'm not checking against other teams especially when I don't remember an injury to a main player or goaltender that impacted a season (other than Smyth suffering a career ending injury in his final playoffs game. Sad.) 9 skaters played over 75 games last year. 11 the year before that. 9 over 50 (out of 56) in 2021. 10 over 60 (out of 71) in 2020. 11 over 70 in 2019.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #825140 is a reply to message #825137 ]
Wed, 02 August 2023 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 02 August 2023 16:21

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 August 2023 16:07

...and defense.

I think it should be pointed out that the Oilers have been pretty healthy for the last couple of years. At least that's my perception. I'm not checking against other teams especially when I don't remember an injury to a main player or goaltender that impacted a season (other than Smyth suffering a career ending injury in his final playoffs game. Sad.) 9 skaters played over 75 games last year. 11 the year before that. 9 over 50 (out of 56) in 2021. 10 over 60 (out of 71) in 2020. 11 over 70 in 2019.

And what's more, their star players have been healthy. In the last two years they've only lost 6 games combined from McDavid and Draisaitl and none in the playoffs. Nurse has missed 11 regular season games. Nuge has missed 19. Hyman 9. Barrie only missed nine before he was traded. Bouchard's only missed a single game. The goalies have been relatively healthy. We had Kane's injury this year, and some struggles with health for Puljujarvi and Yamamoto, but overall we've made off pretty well on the injury front.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826284 is a reply to message #824838 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JFresh @JFreshHockey
something to keep an eye on - Connor Brown has 0 points in 6 games for the Oilers. they've been outscored 3-0 with him on the ice at 5v5 and now he's on the third line.

his cap hit is $775k, but if he plays 10 games he has a $3.25M performance bonus that's on the cap next year

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer
I brought this up yesterday. Also awkward is Oilers President Jeff Jackson was his agent for this deal.

Oh, Connor Brown's former agent that got him this 3.225M bonus deal is how the Oilers CEO of hockey ops. I guess he doesn't get a personal payday anymore if Brown hits that bonus. He would actually be helping himself not get embarrassed next season by waiving Brown ASAP to stop him from hitting 10 games. But, still an awkward situation.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826286 is a reply to message #826284 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 15:08

JFresh @JFreshHockey
something to keep an eye on - Connor Brown has 0 points in 6 games for the Oilers. they've been outscored 3-0 with him on the ice at 5v5 and now he's on the third line.

his cap hit is $775k, but if he plays 10 games he has a $3.25M performance bonus that's on the cap next year

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer
I brought this up yesterday. Also awkward is Oilers President Jeff Jackson was his agent for this deal.

Oh, Connor Brown's former agent that got him this 3.225M bonus deal is how the Oilers CEO of hockey ops. I guess he doesn't get a personal payday anymore if Brown hits that bonus. He would actually be helping himself not get embarrassed next season by waiving Brown ASAP to stop him from hitting 10 games. But, still an awkward situation.

Could almost certainly send him to the minors and hope he finds his game down there. The chances of someone risking picking him up with that poison pill bonus is virtually nil.

Lou Lamoriello would do it in a second, but I don't think we have the guts to make that move, and I don't think the current GM gives a crap about next year's salary cap.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826295 is a reply to message #826286 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 15:16

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer

Could almost certainly send him to the minors and hope he finds his game down there. The chances of someone risking picking him up with that poison pill bonus is virtually nil.

Lou Lamoriello would do it in a second, but I don't think we have the guts to make that move, and I don't think the current GM gives a crap about next year's salary cap.

Not only does his agent now run the Oilers, he's one of Connor's boys from all the way back to junior. This team is not moving Connor Brown anywhere.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826296 is a reply to message #826295 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 16:20

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer

Not only does his agent now run the Oilers, he's one of Connor's boys from all the way back to junior. This team is not moving Connor Brown anywhere.

I have to think a guy like Connor is more focused on winning than taking care of his boys, right? RIGHT?

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826298 is a reply to message #826296 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 16:23

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer

I have to think a guy like Connor is more focused on winning than taking care of his boys, right? RIGHT?

Why do you think Nurse is making $10 mill/yr?
Why do you think Foegele is still here?

The team takes care of Connors crew. That's why Connor isn't going anywhere when his contract is up.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826302 is a reply to message #826298 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 16:39

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 26 October 2023 16:23

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer

Why do you think Nurse is making $10 mill/yr?
Why do you think Foegele is still here?

The team takes care of Connors crew. That's why Connor isn't going anywhere when his contract is up.

Well Nurse is here at that price because of sheer managerial incompetence. Foegele, sure, but he's at least a semi contributor. Maybe a little expensive, but not outrageous. Brown could still get to that level, but at 60% of the way to breaking next year's cap increase it's a dangerous gamble to keep him just to keep good Connor happy.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826297 is a reply to message #826295 ]
Thu, 26 October 2023 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Shawn Simpson @TSNSimmer

McDavid supposedly recruited Brown and told him he should sign with the Oilers. So I am assuming we should vilify McDavid too for Brown?

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826357 is a reply to message #826297 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

McDavid helped recruit him. And McDavid was thinking he recruited somebody who could help the team win. He'd get over it. (Or if you really are scared of his reaction, talk to him beforehand. Lou wouldn't do that though)
This isn't the old JP argument again, where he wasn't producing points but was tilting the ice. He had his supporters and critics.
Brown has not been good by any metric. The only positive statistic under his name is team puck control, but he's not the one carrying the puck to drive that stat.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826382 is a reply to message #826357 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 09:51

McDavid helped recruit him. And McDavid was thinking he recruited somebody who could help the team win. He'd get over it. (Or if you really are scared of his reaction, talk to him beforehand. Lou wouldn't do that though)
This isn't the old JP argument again, where he wasn't producing points but was tilting the ice. He had his supporters and critics.
Brown has not been good by any metric. The only positive statistic under his name is team puck control, but he's not the one carrying the puck to drive that stat.

If you are going to waive Brown after 7 games for not producing, then why not do it to McLeod as well?

McLeod is a somewhat vet of the team, he playing parts of 4 season . He knows the coaches, the players, the City, the organization, he knows how the Oilers play and the role he is supposed to do. No points, 5 shots, 4 hits, -3 42% on draws in 7 games playing on average 15 mins a night. Why does he get a free pass, what's he done?

I'm not happy with no points from Brown. I disagree he has been bad, he hasn't. He just hasn't come out firing like most of the team but he's new to the City, team, coaches, everything. Time and time again every year you see players start off slow on new teams. So this isn't a new thing. Then you drop on recovering from missing a whole season. So while it's quickly getting put up or shut up time with him. He has a bit of an excuse. What's McLeod's excuse? He's done nothing.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826383 is a reply to message #826382 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 15:19

If you are going to waive Brown after 7 games for not producing, then why not do it to McLeod as well?

McLeod is a somewhat vet of the team, he playing parts of 4 season . He knows the coaches, the players, the City, the organization, he knows how the Oilers play and the role he is supposed to do. No points, 5 shots, 4 hits, -3 42% on draws in 7 games playing on average 15 mins a night. Why does he get a free pass, what's he done?

I'm not happy with no points from Brown. I disagree he has been bad, he hasn't. He just hasn't come out firing like most of the team but he's new to the City, team, coaches, everything. Time and time again every year you see players start off slow on new teams. So this isn't a new thing. Then you drop on recovering from missing a whole season. So while it's quickly getting put up or shut up time with him. He has a bit of an excuse. What's McLeod's excuse? He's done nothing.

There is some huge differences with Connor Brown and Ryan McLeod.

The first, and less important is that McLeod is here for a couple of years on his contract. He’s also relatively young (24 to Brown’s 29) and is more likely to improve with time and experience.

The much more important consideration is the structure of the two contracts. If you send McLeod down, there is virtually no cap savings. You’ll bring up a replacement who’ll eat up almost the same amount of cap hit that you save sending him down.

With Brown, however, he has an ugly bonus that needs to be paid if he hits 10 games played. That won’t impact this year’s cap but it’s really bad for next year - we get to commit 3.225MM of next year’s cap space to a guy who is not likely even here.

It would be fair to ask why they didn’t make it 25 games or 40 games. They didn’t though and so we are faced with a player who is contributing next to nothing and who ruins some of our ability to chase talent next summer. If he had 3-4 points right now and was creating chances, then maybe that’s a reasonable risk. However he isn’t. If I was GM, I would do the ruthless thing and waive him. No one will claim him because of that bonus. We can then park him in the minors and watch to see if he gets his game back. If that happens, maybe he’s worth some of next year’s cap to bring up but if not, then you preserve the cap and hope you can get more impact out of the guy you call up.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826385 is a reply to message #826383 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 15:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 15:19

There is some huge differences with Connor Brown and Ryan McLeod.

The first, and less important is that McLeod is here for a couple of years on his contract. He’s also relatively young (24 to Brown’s 29) and is more likely to improve with time and experience.

The much more important consideration is the structure of the two contracts. If you send McLeod down, there is virtually no cap savings. You’ll bring up a replacement who’ll eat up almost the same amount of cap hit that you save sending him down.

With Brown, however, he has an ugly bonus that needs to be paid if he hits 10 games played. That won’t impact this year’s cap but it’s really bad for next year - we get to commit 3.225MM of next year’s cap space to a guy who is not likely even here.

It would be fair to ask why they didn’t make it 25 games or 40 games. They didn’t though and so we are faced with a player who is contributing next to nothing and who ruins some of our ability to chase talent next summer. If he had 3-4 points right now and was creating chances, then maybe that’s a reasonable risk. However he isn’t. If I was GM, I would do the ruthless thing and waive him. No one will claim him because of that bonus. We can then park him in the minors and watch to see if he gets his game back. If that happens, maybe he’s worth some of next year’s cap to bring up but if not, then you preserve the cap and hope you can get more impact out of the guy you call up.

Thanks for your comment directed towards me. I hope you enjoy the season.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #826387 is a reply to message #826385 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You are aware that the world isn't actually out to get you... right?

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #827153 is a reply to message #824838 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Brown had a $3,225,000 smile on his face in practice today!

Just need to make it to that game day bench and ka-ching!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #827157 is a reply to message #827153 ]
Wed, 15 November 2023 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 22:09

Hope he slips his trainer a bit of a bonus!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #827160 is a reply to message #827157 ]
Wed, 15 November 2023 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 15 November 2023 02:43

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 22:09

Hope he slips his trainer a bit of a bonus!

Maybe his agent/CEO of Hockey Operations gets a little too?

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #830432 is a reply to message #824838 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Dyl
@dhockey13
·
2h
Puljujarvi got double hip surgery AGAIN wasn’t signed for months got signed to a PTO by the Penguins and still scored a goal before Connor Brown did lmao you cannot make this "stuff" up.

https://twitter.com/dhockey13/status/1765179791370829934

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #830436 is a reply to message #830432 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 20:19

Dyl
@dhockey13
·
2h
Puljujarvi got double hip surgery AGAIN wasn’t signed for months got signed to a PTO by the Penguins and still scored a goal before Connor Brown did lmao you cannot make this "stuff" up.

https://twitter.com/dhockey13/status/1765179791370829934

No way

https://media0.giphy.com/media/wRdWCK1InCEus/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952x2hl904z00w4kccsb8gexhihh7b8ckemjmt9pmnc&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

4M of cash really doesn't go far these days

https://i.ibb.co/4WSvgLN/Connor-Brown.jpg

Just keep on playing him though, and waiving other players.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2024 20:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers trade with Anaheim
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #60)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca