This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830210]
Mon, 26 February 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   69%
Los Angeles to win:   31%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24 Regular Season
Saturday, December 30, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 2 (OT) (SO)Win
Saturday, February 10, 2024Edmonton 0 @ Los Angeles 4Loss
Monday, February 26, 2024Los Angeles 2 @ Edmonton 4Win
Thursday, March 28, 2024Los Angeles 1 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 2-0-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 3-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 8/3 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/6 Total: 9

2022-23 Regular Season
Wednesday, November 16, 2022Los Angeles 3 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Monday, January 9, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 6Loss
Thursday, March 30, 2023Los Angeles 0 @ Edmonton 2Win
Tuesday, April 4, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 1Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 2-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 3/6 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/7 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830215 is a reply to message #830210 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

What kind of team do we see tonight?

The kind that comes together and plays a solid 60 minutes of team D, good puck movement on transition and crash the net, smash mouth hockey?

Or a team that looks disinterested from the start, hangs their heads on the backcheck, screens Skinner / Pickard ad nauseum, takes poorly-timed and needless penalties and then plays the last 20 like they're on fire trying to get back into the game?

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830216 is a reply to message #830210 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Draisaitl and McDavid back together.

Don’t know why Draisaitl McLeod ever got split.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830217 is a reply to message #830216 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Just win

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830218 is a reply to message #830216 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 10:30

Draisaitl and McDavid back together.

Don’t know why Draisaitl McLeod ever got split.

I tend to agree.. Draisatl can really use a puck carrier to help gain the zone.. #29 doesn't have the speed to do it regularly, he gets pinched down along the boards in the neutral zone or at the offensive blue line.. that's when he'll try the high risk backhand passes that can end up turnovers.. IMO McLeod is probably the 2nd best on the team at gaining the offensive zone off the rush.. which really helps #29.. just wish McLeod had some better finish once he gets there!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830219 is a reply to message #830218 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

So McLeod should gain the zone, make the first pass, then rush to change and get somebody else on? I like it!

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830220 is a reply to message #830219 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Like a box lacrosse strategy. Just change going up the ice.

I actually hate the concept of gaining the redline just to dump the puck in to get a line change. There's go to be a way to cycle forwards while the defense keeps the puck.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830221 is a reply to message #830220 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers need to start playing defense like they can and did for almost 50% of the season and it starts with the 2 big boys leading the way. When McD and Leon completely committed to playing sound defense, the whole team fell in line. Since the break, after the Vegas game, those 2 switched back to looking for more offense and the whole teams structure has fallen off.

Time to get back to not worry about winning a scoring title.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830222 is a reply to message #830221 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 15:49

The Oilers need to start playing defense like they can and did for almost 50% of the season and it starts with the 2 big boys leading the way. When McD and Leon completely committed to playing sound defense, the whole team fell in line. Since the break, after the Vegas game, those 2 switched back to looking for more offense and the whole teams structure has fallen off.

I think it's more likely the rest of t he league has figured the Oilers out again. They don't look like they can maintain structure right now. Right now it seems like they adjust every two years when they get a new coach, I have to believe they can do better than that.

If they're simply a team that only cares if they're on a winning streak we should just turn off the tv and make camping plans. There's no fixing that.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830224 is a reply to message #830222 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 16:18

I think it's more likely the rest of t he league has figured the Oilers out again. They don't look like they can maintain structure right now. Right now it seems like they adjust every two years when they get a new coach, I have to believe they can do better than that.

If they're simply a team that only cares if they're on a winning streak we should just turn off the tv and make camping plans. There's no fixing that.

I completely disagree.

The Flames first goal is a perfect example. Oilers turn it over. McD and Kadri are side by side at the Oilers blueline. That's McD's man as Kadri is the center. McD who's the NHL fastest player in the NHL gets outskated by mediocre skating Kadri. Why?

Well if you watch the replay of the goal, like I said McD and Kadrai are shoulder to shoulder at the blueline, they literally make contact at the blueline so you can see it. McD doesn't take a single stride once he hits the blueline while Kadri keeps skating to the goal. That goal has nothing to do with figuring out the Oilers system. The system had McD standing beside Kadri in position to cover him. It's flat out McD stopped skating and letting his man go right to the goal unchecked. All he had to do was maybe take 1 stride and he's there to intercept a pretty easy pass to stop.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 February 2024 16:42]

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830227 is a reply to message #830224 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 18:09 Go to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 16:35

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 16:18

I completely disagree.

The Flames first goal is a perfect example. Oilers turn it over. McD and Kadri are side by side at the Oilers blueline. That's McD's man as Kadri is the center. McD who's the NHL fastest player in the NHL gets outskated by mediocre skating Kadri. Why?

Well if you watch the replay of the goal, like I said McD and Kadrai are shoulder to shoulder at the blueline, they literally make contact at the blueline so you can see it. McD doesn't take a single stride once he hits the blueline while Kadri keeps skating to the goal. That goal has nothing to do with figuring out the Oilers system. The system had McD standing beside Kadri in position to cover him. It's flat out McD stopped skating and letting his man go right to the goal unchecked. All he had to do was maybe take 1 stride and he's there to intercept a pretty easy pass to stop.

Yes and no. The whole play was poorly executed. On the way up the ice McDavid sent a hand grenade over to Hyman. Bouchard took the puck and tried to go 1 on 4, losing it with only Ekholm back. At the opposing blueline Kadri started 6 feet behind McDAvid and had gotten fully up to speed before McDavid had turned around. McDavid did catch up to Kadri, but didn't have body position. To say he could have taken one more step or was outskated is flat wrong. It looks like he tried to tie him up but was worried he was going to take a penalty. It probably should have been a probably anyway.

More interesting to me, and what I'm talking about from a system perspective, was the Flames pressuring McDavid on the far wall at the Oilers blueline with three people. This caused the hurried pass to Hymen. By the time Bouchard got to the Flames blueline he was facing 4 defenders stacked at the line including Kadri and Tanev, both of whom pressured McDavid.

Is it by accident the Flames scored their first three goals off the rush following neutral zone turnovers? Maybe. Maybe the boys just aren't trying hard enough. Something I'll watch for.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830223 is a reply to message #830221 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 22:49

The turnovers have been disgusting. Goaltending also hasn’t been great. I don’t fault these games all on the goalie, but it’s a combination of both. The team gets down early and it makes it hard to win

Start fast and strong tonight, stay out of the damn penalty box and get a win

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830225 is a reply to message #830223 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 16:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 22:49

The turnovers have been disgusting. Goaltending also hasn’t been great. I don’t fault these games all on the goalie, but it’s a combination of both. The team gets down early and it makes it hard to win

Start fast and strong tonight, stay out of the damn penalty box and get a win

100%

It's got nothing to do with what PI said the league figuring out the league. It's 100% lousy execution. When Leon who's probably one of the worst for it, flings the puck wildly cross ice with one of his backhand hope passes, that's not teams figuring out the Oilers system, that's a poor decision. Guys breaking out of the zone not hitting their wide open guys on the tape, that's not other teams figuring out the system, that's crappy execution. I listed it in my response to PI. The Kadri goal had nothing to do with the Flames figuring out the Oilers system. The system put McD in the right spot to cover Kadri. McD just stopped skating. You can see it on the replay. He coasts from the blueline in. Then he does a 'Oh crap" right as Kadri is about to score. So again, lousy execution caused that goal, not the system.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 February 2024 16:43]

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56) [message #830226 is a reply to message #830219 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 13:00

So McLeod should gain the zone, make the first pass, then rush to change and get somebody else on? I like it!

Ideally you'd have McLeod gain the zone .. set up.. then get it over to #29 and start a good cycle going.. trouble is who can work the cycle with #29 and and actually finish?
#29 can finish . but if he's the only guy that can maintain possession and has no one to finish off his passes.. or to set him up.. then the line gets nothing done..

I think McLeod is actually pretty good cycling the puck and maintaining possession in the O-zone, so I'd say he's complimentary to Leon.. and the turnovers on Leon's line should be lower with McLeod on it.. just wish the kid could snipe!🎯

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #56)
Next Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca