This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2023-24 Speculation ThreadPages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830089 is a reply to message #830084 ]
Fri, 23 February 2024 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 23 February 2024 05:32

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 22 February 2024 22:37

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2024 21:03

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 21 February 2024 17:46

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 February 2024 17:22

Mark Stone joins Jack Eichel on the sidelines in Vegas, right in time for the run-up to the trade deadline. Hmmm...

Absolutely brutal.

And hilarious

Is a 100M starting lineup for Vegas in game 1 possible?

Totally possible..

Update on Stone.. they say he has a lacerated spleen.. he'll be going on LTIR asap... $10M in cap space right there.. that's a guaranteed Game #1 re-activation scenario..

This type of cap circumvention can't be controlled.. you'll never find a doctor who'll state a patient is "absolutely healthy enough" to play game #82 of the NHL schedule.. a player could never be forced to play.. however.. if the player wants to play game #1 of the playoffs.. .. well .. it becomes the players personal decision and can't be stopped from playing.

I expect Eichel to stay put on LTIR . legit or not.. so that's $20M total cap space Vegas can add at the deadline..

It seems like such an easy loophole to close too. Your playoff roster must be under the salary cap, same as your regular season roster. What's so hard about that? I've never understood why that rule all of a sudden gets thrown out the window just because it's the playoffs.

I wouldn't even make it the playoff roster has to be under the cap. Just make it so whatever steps on the ice each game has to be under the cap. If you want to only dress 3 forward lines or run 4 D or whatever, to be under the cap, go ahead. So if teams like Vegas want to play the LTIR game, go for it. But the guys on the bench and on the ice have to be under the cap and your game roster is set. So if you are rolling 4 D to make it under the cap and someone blocks a shot and is out mid game, well tough luck.

All you'd have to do is submit your game roster with their cap hits and as long as it's 83.5 or under, doesn't matter how you configure it.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830101 is a reply to message #830089 ]
Fri, 23 February 2024 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 23 February 2024 08:51

All you'd have to do is submit your game roster with their cap hits and as long as it's 83.5 or under, doesn't matter how you configure it.

Jack Campbell isn't on the ice, doesn't count against the cap?
James Neal buyout?

How about I'm a super rich team - can I have a stable full of highly paid and healthy players waiting in the wings? They're getting paid, but not playing. But when they do, they sure are rested!

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830104 is a reply to message #830101 ]
Fri, 23 February 2024 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

COULD you do that, yes. However players won't want to sign on to play half a season. they need to play to perform for their next contract.
Could work with goalies though... and I'm fine with that.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830105 is a reply to message #830101 ]
Fri, 23 February 2024 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

JPro wrote on Fri, 23 February 2024 12:35

James Neal buyout?

How about I'm a super rich team - can I have a stable full of highly paid and healthy players waiting in the wings? They're getting paid, but not playing. But when they do, they sure are rested!

You treat playoff games exactly how you would a regular season. You have to be at 83.5 on the ice. How you get there is your decision. If the Oilers wanted to have Campbell as their back up, then they have to adjust their line up no different than if they did it right now.

Any retained contracts or buyouts still count just like they do during the regular season.

The only difference is you could have your practice squad that all teams have during the playoffs and have them not count against the cap. The reason being is so you have readily available players in case of injury just like the playoffs do now. But again, as soon as you bring a guy off the practice squad onto the game roster, you have make a move to ensure your cap hit on the ice is 83.5 or under. So you can have a 8 mill guy on your practice squad if you want but as soon as he plays, his cap hit counts and you have to adjust your line up so you are cap compliant.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830149 is a reply to message #830105 ]
Sat, 24 February 2024 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 23 February 2024 12:55

JPro wrote on Fri, 23 February 2024 12:35

James Neal buyout?

You treat playoff games exactly how you would a regular season. You have to be at 83.5 on the ice. How you get there is your decision. If the Oilers wanted to have Campbell as their back up, then they have to adjust their line up no different than if they did it right now.

Any retained contracts or buyouts still count just like they do during the regular season.

The only difference is you could have your practice squad that all teams have during the playoffs and have them not count against the cap. The reason being is so you have readily available players in case of injury just like the playoffs do now. But again, as soon as you bring a guy off the practice squad onto the game roster, you have make a move to ensure your cap hit on the ice is 83.5 or under. So you can have a 8 mill guy on your practice squad if you want but as soon as he plays, his cap hit counts and you have to adjust your line up so you are cap compliant.

NHLPA would hate that.. right now if you take it to the extreme.. you could have every team at max cap limit with their on ice roster.. then paying players up to 10 to 20+M sitting on LTIR during the season "ready" for deployment in the No-cap playoffs.. NHLPA salaries as a whole would go down if you took away the no-cap limit for playoffs.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830152 is a reply to message #830149 ]
Sat, 24 February 2024 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 24 February 2024 14:45

NHLPA would hate that.. right now if you take it to the extreme.. you could have every team at max cap limit with their on ice roster.. then paying players up to 10 to 20+M sitting on LTIR during the season "ready" for deployment in the No-cap playoffs.. NHLPA salaries as a whole would go down if you took away the no-cap limit for playoffs.

The NHL would hate a playoff cap it as well. By allowing this there are more good players in the playoffs.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830153 is a reply to message #830152 ]
Sat, 24 February 2024 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 24 February 2024 13:00

The NHL would hate a playoff cap it as well. By allowing this there are more good players in the playoffs.

Probably, depending on teams involved, but a lot of individual teams wouldn't.. circumvents the point of the cap.. which I believe was league parity

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830387 is a reply to message #830153 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 24 February 2024 14:31

Probably, depending on teams involved, but a lot of individual teams wouldn't.. circumvents the point of the cap.. which I believe was league parity

I don't think that this impacts parity. All the teams have access to this same loophole and are playing by the same rules. Some are just playing chess while others play checkers (and some still are stuck at tiddlywinks).

The fact the Oilers haven't used any of these things to their advantage is just foolishness - especially last year coming off a trip to the third round and with both Kane and Yamamoto injured at the deadline.

We have less opportunity this year, but maybe you can manage something if you promise Campbell to call him back up to be around the team for the playoffs (when roster limits no longer apply) if he feels an injury coming on right now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830390 is a reply to message #830387 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 11:35

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 24 February 2024 14:31

I don't think that this impacts parity. All the teams have access to this same loophole and are playing by the same rules. Some are just playing chess while others play checkers (and some still are stuck at tiddlywinks).

The fact the Oilers haven't used any of these things to their advantage is just foolishness - especially last year coming off a trip to the third round and with both Kane and Yamamoto injured at the deadline.

We have less opportunity this year, but maybe you can manage something if you promise Campbell to call him back up to be around the team for the playoffs (when roster limits no longer apply) if he feels an injury coming on right now.

The Oilers do play these games, but not the same ones as the Lightning and Avs. They retired Smith on an old guy contract, retired Ference, held off signing McLeod until the last minute to exploit LTIR, transferred cap hit to future seasons using ridiculously easy bonuses with Brown and Perry. I think they could have played the game more, but there were reasons not to sit Kane and Yammo and the Koekkoek until playoffs.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830076 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Thu, 22 February 2024 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Which Position is #1 Upgrade Priority?[ 22 vote(s) ]
1.top 4 RHD 14 / 64%
2.top 4 LHD 2 / 9%
3.Top 6 RW 2 / 9%
4.Bottom 6 Center (RH) combined with upgrading on PK 2 / 9%
5.Bottom 6 winger and upgrade on PK'er 0 / 0%
6.Backup (1B) goalie 2 / 9%

If you had one deadline trade..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830086 is a reply to message #830076 ]
Fri, 23 February 2024 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I voted 3rd line center preferably right handed. You get a 3rd line center, then you move up McLeod to the wing on Leon's line.

I'd also like to add a 4th line center if possible as I don't think Ryan can do the job in the playoffs.

I'm all for upgrading Ceci, I just don't know if they can. Everyone wants a top 4, right shot and the guys listed, I see as upgrades in some areas not all. I think Tavev would be an upgrade but I think there would be an Oiler tax and the price might be way more than it should because it's a trade with the Oilers.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830207 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Sun, 25 February 2024 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Too funny..

https://twitter.com/Cusensational/status/1761129149282824269

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830212 is a reply to message #830207 ]
Mon, 26 February 2024 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 25 February 2024 18:11

Too funny..

Well it s Vegas. If there is a City that would have some street toughs willing to do that kind of thing, it would be Vegas.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830380 is a reply to message #830207 ]
Mon, 04 March 2024 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 26 February 2024 01:11

Too funny..

Ironically I just took Anatomy and Physiology 1 and that's how badly my classes whooped me, lol. And the great news is I have part 2 looming soon.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830389 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Friedman suggesting that Oilers top players have been indicating that they don't want Cody Ceci to go. I hope that some of these rumours are not at all a factor in management decisions. While players may have close relationships and want to win with the guys they've played with the last few years, management's role is to be completely focused on what makes the team better - so if McDavid likes Foegele or Ceci or whoever else, that just can't be a deciding factor on anyone.

Sometimes a trade of someone who players like is a good reminder to players that it's a business and that they need to be laser-focused on the goal - winning the Stanley Cup. Management needs that focus too - the best teams have that in common. The Golden Knights aren't worried about if the players really love Marc-Andre Fleury or Max Paccioretty. If they aren't the best option, then it's time to move on.

We need more of that from the Oilers. Our management has spent waaaay too much time not seriously trying to win. That means stupid trades, imprudent signings, and wasted cap space. If they're making decisions about who can and cannot be on the team due to how popular he is with his teammates? Then we're not serious about winning, and that's a serious issue.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830391 is a reply to message #830389 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 12:02

management's role is to be completely focused on what makes the team better - so if McDavid likes Foegele or Ceci or whoever else, that just can't be a deciding factor on anyone.

So the question is - how far do you go to keep McDavid happy? Throwing him a Connor Brown to play PK and the 4th line is one thing, but I'd agree that keeping Ceci is another.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830392 is a reply to message #830391 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 12:21

management's role is to be completely focused on what makes the team better - so if McDavid likes Foegele or Ceci or whoever else, that just can't be a deciding factor on anyone.

So the question is - how far do you go to keep McDavid happy? Throwing him a Connor Brown to play PK and the 4th line is one thing, but I'd agree that keeping Ceci is another.

Honestly, nothing will make a player more happy than winning - so you just don't worry if moves are going to be ones he approves of or not. You just focus on building the best team and hope that he likes the taste of champagne out of that big mug.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830393 is a reply to message #830392 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Players know better than fans who can play and help them win.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830401 is a reply to message #830393 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 12:47

Hopefully GM’s and pro scouts know better than fans and players. Neither players or fans should be in charge of roster construction.

…. From a fan perspective’s eye test, actual cap value and the underlying numbers perspective it definitely looks like Ceci is the person who needs to go if they are trying to upgrade the team. Maybe Holland can do some fancy dancing and add an upgrade at RD and fill the lineup with depth pieces, but it looks to be impossible unless Kane goes (unlikely).

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830412 is a reply to message #830393 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Jack Campbell was also super popular in the room and all the players love him, and wanted him to keep getting opportunities to get back on track. He had to almost tank the season to finally force Holland's hand.

Players need the GM and coach to have a bigger picture view of how to get a full team to win against the best players/coaches/GMs in the world, many of which are all business from top to bottom. Lots of crap players are amazing guys to hang out with and can develop deep relationships with others.

All that said. The Oilers all absolutely loved Barrie too, and Holland did very well trading him. So hopefully history repeats and we see another super popular in the room RHD, that can't compete against top comp 5v5, moved for an upgrade.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2024 17:46]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830445 is a reply to message #830412 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 17:26

Jack Campbell was also super popular in the room and all the players love him, and wanted him to keep getting opportunities to get back on track. He had to almost tank the season to finally force Holland's hand.

Players need the GM and coach to have a bigger picture view of how to get a full team to win against the best players/coaches/GMs in the world, many of which are all business from top to bottom. Lots of crap players are amazing guys to hang out with and can develop deep relationships with others.

All that said. The Oilers all absolutely loved Barrie too, and Holland did very well trading him. So hopefully history repeats and we see another super popular in the room RHD, that can't compete against top comp 5v5, moved for an upgrade.

I am not talking about who they like having a drink with after games. I'm sure Campbell would be a great guy to have a beer with. I am talking about who the players see as important to team success on the ice.

Just my opinion but I would think a player like McD would know a little better who helps him win games over a fan reading stats on a free website.

Let's be real here. Arm chair GM's make a TON of decisions on who's good and who sucks based on the FREE information they look up on websites. Teams have their own departments and actually PAY some of the same sites fans look at to get their information. So I am going to guess that the information a fan looks up for free about the Oilers, probably isn't that sites best, most accurate information given teams and others actually PAY them to do the similar stuff. I am not bashing the information on these sites, it has value and shows part of the story but I think a person is really kidding themselves if they think that information is the best, most accurate information out there. Giving your best services for nothing is how companies go out of businesses real fast.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830447 is a reply to message #830445 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 08:17

I am not talking about who they like having a drink with after games. I'm sure Campbell would be a great guy to have a beer with. I am talking about who the players see as important to team success on the ice.

Just my opinion but I would think a player like McD would know a little better who helps him win games over a fan reading stats on a free website.

Let's be real here. Arm chair GM's make a TON of decisions on who's good and who sucks based on the FREE information they look up on websites. Teams have their own departments and actually PAY some of the same sites fans look at to get their information. So I am going to guess that the information a fan looks up for free about the Oilers, probably isn't that sites best, most accurate information given teams and others actually PAY them to do the similar stuff. I am not bashing the information on these sites, it has value and shows part of the story but I think a person is really kidding themselves if they think that information is the best, most accurate information out there. Giving your best services for nothing is how companies go out of businesses real fast.

I think the information we have access is to very reliable and accurate. I also believe that clubs have even more information than we see, plus they can get insight into the player himself, potential ailments and what is going on between the ears that us armchair GM's will never have access too.

To counterpoint your Ceci argument, last year we moved Tyson Barrie who was a valuable piece to the team, producing well and the players loved him. Did the players miss him? Most certainly and they all went to his wedding in the summer, but they got immensely better and it sure looks like Ekholm is extremely valued on and off the ice by the team.

If you can upgrade on Ceci then you have to move him. There are not a lot of contracts that are moveable on the team and if I had a choice as an experienced armchair GM I would keep Foegele because of his versatility, and move on from Ceci. I would also look at moving Kane, which has now become tabloid sports news for the Oilers and the rumours are circulating.

Interesting times. Stauffer is my barometer for potential moves and all signs point to a replacement at #2 RD if possible. We will know soon enough and if it happens we will see if moving him was the right idea. One thing is for certain, the Oilers will make some moves.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830448 is a reply to message #830447 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 09:12

I think the information we have access is to very reliable and accurate. I also believe that clubs have even more information than we see, plus they can get insight into the player himself, potential ailments and what is going on between the ears that us armchair GM's will never have access too.

To counterpoint your Ceci argument, last year we moved Tyson Barrie who was a valuable piece to the team, producing well and the players loved him. Did the players miss him? Most certainly and they all went to his wedding in the summer, but they got immensely better and it sure looks like Ekholm is extremely valued on and off the ice by the team.

If you can upgrade on Ceci then you have to move him. There are not a lot of contracts that are moveable on the team and if I had a choice as an experienced armchair GM I would keep Foegele because of his versatility, and move on from Ceci. I would also look at moving Kane, which has now become tabloid sports news for the Oilers and the rumours are circulating.

Interesting times. Stauffer is my barometer for potential moves and all signs point to a replacement at #2 RD if possible. We will know soon enough and if it happens we will see if moving him was the right idea. One thing is for certain, the Oilers will make some moves.

I'm not opposed to upgrading Ceci like I have said lots, I just would not trade Ceci for a guy who's only a marginal upgrade in 1 area but the same or worse in other. If the guy is better at defending but not better in other areas, then I would be Ok with the trade. Tanev as an example is a better defender than Ceci. I don't know if he's better than him in other areas but defending, he would have been an upgrade. But if a guy is a better puck mover but not better in other areas, I don't see as worth it. Based on the names being floated out there, that appears to be the case. Depending on who a person reads and listens too, a few guys are better skaters or puck movers but debatable defensively. So me personally, I would not trade Ceci for a guy who people aren't sure is aa better defender.

When it comes to Barrie, that is a good example of the team liking the guy. A few of the big boys were vocal in being sad he was traded but they got back a superior dman in Ekholm. Ekholm made the Oilers team way better. I don't think there is any debate. So in my opinion, I think the players were OK that a friend was traded because the guy who came back is superior. So for Ceci, if getting a guy who's clearly better all around costs them Ceci, I would guess they would be sad but OK with it. But trading a guy who the fans think is better just because they don't like Ceci but who the players themselves don't believe is better, I am not so sure that's a good idea. Trading for a guy who passes the puck better, something that I think some fans value a lot more than other things, but is worse in other areas I don't think goes over well. So that's my point. If you trade Ceci who the players like and think has value to their team on the ice, that guy better be a clear upgrade coming back.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830458 is a reply to message #830448 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 09:49

I'm not opposed to upgrading Ceci like I have said lots, I just would not trade Ceci for a guy who's only a marginal upgrade in 1 area but the same or worse in other. If the guy is better at defending but not better in other areas, then I would be Ok with the trade. Tanev as an example is a better defender than Ceci. I don't know if he's better than him in other areas but defending, he would have been an upgrade. But if a guy is a better puck mover but not better in other areas, I don't see as worth it. Based on the names being floated out there, that appears to be the case. Depending on who a person reads and listens too, a few guys are better skaters or puck movers but debatable defensively. So me personally, I would not trade Ceci for a guy who people aren't sure is aa better defender.

When it comes to Barrie, that is a good example of the team liking the guy. A few of the big boys were vocal in being sad he was traded but they got back a superior dman in Ekholm. Ekholm made the Oilers team way better. I don't think there is any debate. So in my opinion, I think the players were OK that a friend was traded because the guy who came back is superior. So for Ceci, if getting a guy who's clearly better all around costs them Ceci, I would guess they would be sad but OK with it. But trading a guy who the fans think is better just because they don't like Ceci but who the players themselves don't believe is better, I am not so sure that's a good idea. Trading for a guy who passes the puck better, something that I think some fans value a lot more than other things, but is worse in other areas I don't think goes over well. So that's my point. If you trade Ceci who the players like and think has value to their team on the ice, that guy better be a clear upgrade coming back.

And I believe it’s a fair assumption that Holland and Jackson will be of the same belief. They are not making a deal to say they made a deal. If there is no upgrades available then I’d expect depth moves and a scoring winger and 3rd line center added.

I love this time of year.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830493 is a reply to message #830448 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 09:49

I think we would have a big difference in opinion of what an upgrade to Ceci looks like. This analysis is, IMO, a pretty accurate representation of him

https://i.ibb.co/R9g8tNk/cECI.jpg

So, that's what we're trying to replace. Lots of options a GM could look at IMO. Your threshold for what a Ceci upgrade looks like probably only leaves a handful of players, all very difficult to get, maybe impossible.

In any case, looks like we are just going the forward route at the moment. Still hope Holland has another trick up his sleeve. If not, so be it, hopes and prayers that our D don't collapse again in the playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830497 is a reply to message #830493 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I've been hard on the guy in the past, but Vinny Desharnais has looked pretty solid the past few games. Maybe the upgrade to Ceci comes from within?

Fingers crossed none of our current 6 get injured. I guess we do have Broberg to step in if needed (assuming he isn't traded)

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830498 is a reply to message #830497 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 13:28

I've been hard on the guy in the past, but Vinny Desharnais has looked pretty solid the past few games. Maybe the upgrade to Ceci comes from within?

Fingers crossed none of our current 6 get injured. I guess we do have Broberg to step in if needed (assuming he isn't traded)

Desharnais has played well. And Ceci looks a lot better with Kulak on the 3rd pair. I think part of the latter is that Kulak is back in his playoff form and playing extremely well lately with anyone.

Huge huge gamble though going into the playoffs with Desharnais having to play top comp. I'd hope for better in such an important year for the org, but maybe there is no choice now. Especially with the 1st round pick now gone.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830450 is a reply to message #830445 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Last summer McDavid was stumping for Connor Brown. Last year the players were stumping for Tyson Barrie. These are emotional and personal relationship based opinions. Not ones about how he best possible team can be made. Ceci is popular in the room too, but he was one of the biggest reasons Vegas took us out last playoffs and he consistently performs poorly by almost any possession and science change metrics you can look at.

Holding out hope that Holland can get an upgrade and look past the players personal attachment like he did last year with Barrie. The players were all sad after the last deadline. We were a.much better team in the end though. Barrie was having a much better year last season too than ceci is this year. I think nurse needs to be given a heck of a lot of credit this year for carrying his D partners. But we could be giving him so much more help. Our RHD is still a ticking timebomb IMO ready to be exposed by a great playoff opponent.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2024 10:15]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830502 is a reply to message #830450 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think it's worth asking Connor if he HATES a player and wouldn't want him on the team. Outside of our superstar having a vendetta against someone, it matters very little who he wants to bring in. Hopefully your GM and coach know better.
GM's coaches and players all see the ice and the game from different perspectives. If they didn't, and superstars were the best ones suited to the job, you'd have a lot more superstars acting in management (not just in retirement).

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830408 is a reply to message #830389 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Friedman suggesting that Oilers top players have been indicating that they don't want Cody Ceci to go. I hope that some of these rumours are not at all a factor in management decisions. While players may have close relationships and want to win with the guys they've played with the last few years, management's role is to be completely focused on what makes the team better - so if McDavid likes Foegele or Ceci or whoever else, that just can't be a deciding factor on anyone.

Sometimes a trade of someone who players like is a good reminder to players that it's a business and that they need to be laser-focused on the goal - winning the Stanley Cup. Management needs that focus too - the best teams have that in common. The Golden Knights aren't worried about if the players really love Marc-Andre Fleury or Max Paccioretty. If they aren't the best option, then it's time to move on.

We need more of that from the Oilers. Our management has spent waaaay too much time not seriously trying to win. That means stupid trades, imprudent signings, and wasted cap space. If they're making decisions about who can and cannot be on the team due to how popular he is with his teammates? Then we're not serious about winning, and that's a serious issue.

Lol. Would be very Oilers I guess if the players and management are all on the "personal relationships are more important than winning" bus. At least they all can know they should point a finger at themselves.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830395 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Gagner back on Waivers...
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers-sam-gagner-vancouver- canucks-guillaume-brisebois-placed-on-waivers-1.2085077

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830396 is a reply to message #830395 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 12:51

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers-sam-gagner-vancouver- canucks-guillaume-brisebois-placed-on-waivers-1.2085077

I'm hoping Gagner can remain here and play his first playoff game as an Oiler. He's at 569 regular season Oiler games right now with 0 playoff games.

I guess we will see....

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830398 is a reply to message #830396 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 13:06

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 12:51

I'm hoping Gagner can remain here and play his first playoff game as an Oiler. He's at 569 regular season Oiler games right now with 0 playoff games.

I guess we will see....

I imagine they need a roster spot for an impending transaction. Roster limit comes off after the deadline, so they can recall him quickly assuming he doesn't get claimed.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830449 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So ol' Kenny bidding against himself for Tarasenko?
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/1765409043797938516
"Led to believe the Florida Panthers have stepped up their efforts to try to acquire #Sens winger Vladimir Tarasenko. Vegas, Oilers, Rangers, Hurricanes and Oilers are also in the mix. Tarasenko has a full NTC so he has some control."

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830455 is a reply to message #830449 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 09:53

"Led to believe the Florida Panthers have stepped up their efforts to try to acquire #Sens winger Vladimir Tarasenko. Vegas, Oilers, Rangers, Hurricanes and Oilers are also in the mix. Tarasenko has a full NTC so he has some control."

Given what Ottawa got for him, I wonder if the interest was as high as this suggests, or if the Sens didn't leak some names to try to get more interest.

We've heard again and again that our illustrious aging GM hates the idea of rentals so unless Jackson's really involved I do wonder how hotly we are pursuing guys like Tarasenko who is a free agent this summer. That is a blind spot I hope we find a way past as we put that dinosaur out to pasture. Sometimes cap flexibility is a gift all to itself, and so bringing on someone who makes us better for a short run, without tying up a bunch of cap for the next several years can be a really big benefit.

If it's a top-six guy who we're targeting, there's only a few big names left - Guentzel tops the list, and then there's a drop off to the guys like Eberle, Toffoli, Henrique. Then next rung down would be guys like Duclair, Okposo, Zucker, Tyler Johnson...but those aren't really top six guys by that point.

Henrique feels like the type of deal we'd do, with him slotting in as a 2nd/3rd line guy. It wouldn't be awful, but not as impactful as a guy like Tarasenko would have been.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830456 is a reply to message #830455 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Tarasenko had a NTC, so he got to pick his team - hence why the price is low. I think the same will be with Hanifin down in Calgary.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830459 is a reply to message #830455 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 10:45

Suomalainen wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 09:53

Given what Ottawa got for him, I wonder if the interest was as high as this suggests, or if the Sens didn't leak some names to try to get more interest.

We've heard again and again that our illustrious aging GM hates the idea of rentals so unless Jackson's really involved I do wonder how hotly we are pursuing guys like Tarasenko who is a free agent this summer. That is a blind spot I hope we find a way past as we put that dinosaur out to pasture. Sometimes cap flexibility is a gift all to itself, and so bringing on someone who makes us better for a short run, without tying up a bunch of cap for the next several years can be a really big benefit.

If it's a top-six guy who we're targeting, there's only a few big names left - Guentzel tops the list, and then there's a drop off to the guys like Eberle, Toffoli, Henrique. Then next rung down would be guys like Duclair, Okposo, Zucker, Tyler Johnson...but those aren't really top six guys by that point.

Henrique feels like the type of deal we'd do, with him slotting in as a 2nd/3rd line guy. It wouldn't be awful, but not as impactful as a guy like Tarasenko would have been.

Henrique’s name is gaining momentum. I’m guessing he’s our guy.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830451 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Tarasenko retained at 50% goes to Florida for peanuts.

Per Lebrun:

Quote:

Ottawa retains 50 percent on Tarasenko in the trade with Florida.
Going to Ottawa from Florida:
2024 4th RD pick (which becomes 2026 3rd RD pick if Panthers win Cup)
2025 3rd Rd pick

Clean house or bust

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830460 is a reply to message #830451 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Seravalli is reporting there is a trade coming between the Oilers and the Ducks for Henrique and Carrick. Salary retention and another team involved. Other guys like Lebrun and Friedman saying the same thing.

Rishaug tweeted he confirmed it.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2024 11:34]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830468 is a reply to message #830460 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

Rumour out there (I think from Kevin Weeks) that the Avalanche are trading Byram for Casey Middelstadt of the Sabres. I obviously don't follow either of these two players too closely but being in southern Ontario I get more Sabres info than I care for. That said, if it is a one for one deal it seems like the Avalanche are getting fleeced here. Middelstadt is an average at best player who is a bottom 6 player at best (and seems to have a history of lackluster effort at times). Byram still projects as a top pairing Dman I think. Sabres will be very good on the back end with Dahlin, Power and Byram.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #830473 is a reply to message #830468 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Perkele wrote on Wed, 06 March 2024 11:06

Rumour out there (I think from Kevin Weeks) that the Avalanche are trading Byram for Casey Middelstadt of the Sabres. I obviously don't follow either of these two players too closely but being in southern Ontario I get more Sabres info than I care for. That said, if it is a one for one deal it seems like the Avalanche are getting fleeced here. Middelstadt is an average at best player who is a bottom 6 player at best (and seems to have a history of lackluster effort at times). Byram still projects as a top pairing Dman I think. Sabres will be very good on the back end with Dahlin, Power and Byram.

Quote:

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli

The deal was one for one.

To #Sabres: D Bowen Byram
To #GoAvsGo: C Casey Mittelstadt

First to report:
@KevinWeekes

Also..

Quote:

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli

Full trade, per sources:

To #Flyers: Cond. 2025 1st Rd Pick, Ryan Johansen
To #GoAvsGo: Sean Walker, 2026 5th Rd Pick

Condition: 2025 1st is Top 10 protected, in which case it would slide to 2026.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Toronto - Hot take
Next Topic:Holland’s Successor
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca