Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » WJC 2018 ScandalPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829541 is a reply to message #829537 ]
Thu, 08 February 2024 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 February 2024 13:38

Now we can move on to the individuals and their own legal issues. I'm sad to say, I am not confident of any convictions. They're all going to be well-represented by very good lawyers, and sexual assaults are very difficult to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. In the absence of convictions, it won't surprise me at all if these players all get NHL jobs again relatively quickly depressing as that is. I mean, if an absolute borderline NHLer in Jake Virtanen gets a try-out, then hard to see Carter Hart not getting a contract if he's available to play.

Reasonable doubt, not beyond a shadow of a doubt, is a very important part of our justice system. As someone who 'gets' to represent people that are in trouble it's hard to express how disheartening the retreat from assumed innocence is and how many people object to people even defending themselves.

If the players are found not guilty there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play again. I do understand why people would have a somewhat jaded view of justice in Canada. It is failing everyone right now. Still, if we're not going to leap to vigilantism and (further into) extrajudicial punishment innocent until proven guilty is a good concept to hold.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829544 is a reply to message #829541 ]
Thu, 08 February 2024 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

It’s always going to be difficult to convict based on one eye witness account. Witnesses, and in this case also the victim, will get torn to shreds on the stand. She is not going to have a perfect recollection.

The prosecution will need physical evidence. We don’t know the extent of what they have yet.

Whether they are convicted or not, the court of public opinion will make its own verdict. I don’t anybody who still thinks OJ was innocent.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829545 is a reply to message #829544 ]
Thu, 08 February 2024 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 08 February 2024 17:15

It’s always going to be difficult to convict based on one eye witness account. Witnesses, and in this case also the victim, will get torn to shreds on the stand. She is not going to have a perfect recollection.

The prosecution will need physical evidence. We don’t know the extent of what they have yet.

Whether they are convicted or not, the court of public opinion will make its own verdict. I don’t anybody who still thinks OJ was innocent.

There ya go....OJ is the perfect example in this case. Found not guilty...but the general public presumed he was also NOT innocent as the dude never got to show his face in any high profile settings as well.

Is this going to be one of these cases where the outcome is solely going to be determined by a judge or combination of judge/jury?

My cousins have told me stories about people in homeless camps around the Vancouver area attacking peaceful residents with weapons....only to just let back on the street asap. Country doesn't seem to be very tough on crime these days.

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829549 is a reply to message #829545 ]
Fri, 09 February 2024 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 08 February 2024 17:17

Steve wrote on Thu, 08 February 2024 17:15

There ya go....OJ is the perfect example in this case. Found not guilty...but the general public presumed he was also NOT innocent as the dude never got to show his face in any high profile settings as well.

Is this going to be one of these cases where the outcome is solely going to be determined by a judge or combination of judge/jury?

My cousins have told me stories about people in homeless camps around the Vancouver area attacking peaceful residents with weapons....only to just let back on the street asap. Country doesn't seem to be very tough on crime these days.

Prisons are overloaded and filled beyond capacity. Warehousing people who commit crimes is not the answer. People being terrorized or assaulted is not right either.

Unfortunately, the answer is complicated and I believe it involves social programs in the community and in the school systems. Jails are not designed to rehabilitate people. If you have worked in the system you could see how flawed it is and how it has next to zero positive outcomes. I believe the key is to assist vulnerable people when they are young and provide them with the supports that they are lacking.

Who pays for it? How do you make people utilize these resources?

... and back to sports. We have enough problematic players trying to rebrand their images on the team right now. As much as I would love to have a Carter Hart quality goaltender, he needs to be someone else's problem.

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829556 is a reply to message #829549 ]
Fri, 09 February 2024 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

We could buy an island and just send them all there... run free criminals!

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829557 is a reply to message #829556 ]
Fri, 09 February 2024 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 09 February 2024 09:39

We tried that. They became an oddly fun sports powerhouse with a lusty love for a certain 'c' word.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829559 is a reply to message #829557 ]
Fri, 09 February 2024 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 February 2024 11:50

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 09 February 2024 09:39

We tried that. They became an oddly fun sports powerhouse with a lusty love for a certain 'c' word.

So you're saying it worked?

Re: WJC 2018 Scandal [message #829563 is a reply to message #829559 ]
Fri, 09 February 2024 14:13 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

They do produce some great stand-up comics.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Blue Jackets fire general manager Jarmo Kekalainen
Next Topic:Ottawa Senators drama - Dorion fired
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca