This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2023-24 Speculation ThreadPages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829009 is a reply to message #829008 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 11:04

Corey Perry incoming

Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes. I’ve also been lots of traction on sites saying a deal is close to being finalized. Sounds like a solid addition. See ya later Erne.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829010 is a reply to message #829009 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 11:26

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 11:04

Corey Perry incoming

Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes. I’ve also been lots of traction on sites saying a deal is close to being finalized. Sounds like a solid addition. See ya later Erne.

Perry & Kane gonna be agitating a lot of teams!
I can see Perry on the third line but also on Draisaitls wing!
I love this!

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829011 is a reply to message #829008 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 10:04

Corey Perry incoming

Wonder if we will find out what happened with him. He’s going to be in front of a mic soon…

Oilers should tread carefully here. Anything above league minimum would be a mistake. He doesn’t have to be in the lineup every night just because he is a vet that won the richard once. He can be useful under the right circumstances.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829159 is a reply to message #829011 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I saw a trade proposal that made me think.

2024 1st, Brogault and Kulak for Lindholm (50% retained)

That's a lot for a rental but getting a team to retain is usually expensive. Trading with a division rival costs you more.

I think the Oilers could use an upgrade of a right shot center in the bottom 6. It would mean Broberg takes Kulak's spot and you'd have to add in I think a vet dman to be the 7th. But man that would upgrade the bottom 6.

Would people do it?

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829160 is a reply to message #829159 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 16:57

That's a lot for a rental but getting a team to retain is usually expensive. Trading with a division rival costs you more.

I think the Oilers could use an upgrade of a right shot center in the bottom 6. It would mean Broberg takes Kulak's spot and you'd have to add in I think a vet dman to be the 7th. But man that would upgrade the bottom 6.

Would people do it?

I think I'd rather go for Tanev if the Lames are selling. Upgrade on Ceci would really help our D. Our forwards are really clicking now, and we just added Perry too. I still worry greatly that the Nurse/Ceci pair could collapse again in the playoffs. Nurse needs a more reliable defensive partner

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829207 is a reply to message #829160 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 17:13

Would people do it?

I think I'd rather go for Tanev if the Lames are selling. Upgrade on Ceci would really help our D. Our forwards are really clicking now, and we just added Perry too. I still worry greatly that the Nurse/Ceci pair could collapse again in the playoffs. Nurse needs a more reliable defensive partner

I'd like to see an upgrade but at the same time, I am not as concerned about the defense, especially Ceci. He takes WAY too much unwarranted heat in my opinion. In my opinion, certain fans focus on the 1 or 2 bad plays he will do once in awhile but completely ignore the 100's of good.

The Oilers are 25-6 under Knoblauch, 23-3 in their last 26. They have an 8 game and now 15 game win streak. In December they played 13 games and 6 were 2 or less goals, 4 1 or less. They have played 10 games so far in January, all 10 are 2 or less goals against, 6 of them are 1 or less. They have 13 straight with 2 or less. 2 shut outs.

They are up to 8th in PK and 6th in goals against. I keep seeing all these stats guys listing off how the Oilers are top 3, lots 1st in all kinds of defensive categories since November. I just don't see how that all happens and it's possible for that long when Ceci plays in your top 4, plays over 20 mins a night against other teams top players, plays a ton on the PK if he's truly as bad defensively as certain fans think.

Is he elite? No he's not. But when healthy, is he solid? YES and the numbers back it up. He's especially good given how little money he makes. He and Nurse for whatever reason work pretty well and the results back that up. If a truly way better dman who doesn't cost the Oilers anymore on their cap falls in their lap and it doesn't cost them a lot assets, would I look at it? Sure. But are we 100% sure a Tanev or who ever will mesh well with Nurse to give them better results than they are getting with Ceci? I would say no. In theory, a Tanev should be better but there is no guarantee playing with Nurse will mean better results. So do I want to upset the Oilers defense who for over 2 months now has been one of if not the best in the NHL with numbers to back that up on a hunch and no signs of changing? I don't know if I do.

Plus the big thing, what will be the cost? The Leafs are in danger of missing the playoffs. I think the Leafs need at least 2 dmen just to make the playoffs. Can you imagine the backlash if the Leafs don't make trades? They are desperate, the Oilers are not. So I want no part in the Oilers getting into a bidding war with an absolutely desperate team.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829208 is a reply to message #829207 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 January 2024 08:57

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 17:13

Would people do it?

I'd like to see an upgrade but at the same time, I am not as concerned about the defense, especially Ceci. He takes WAY too much unwarranted heat in my opinion. In my opinion, certain fans focus on the 1 or 2 bad plays he will do once in awhile but completely ignore the 100's of good.

The Oilers are 25-6 under Knoblauch, 23-3 in their last 26. They have an 8 game and now 15 game win streak. In December they played 13 games and 6 were 2 or less goals, 4 1 or less. They have played 10 games so far in January, all 10 are 2 or less goals against, 6 of them are 1 or less. They have 13 straight with 2 or less. 2 shut outs.

They are up to 8th in PK and 6th in goals against. I keep seeing all these stats guys listing off how the Oilers are top 3, lots 1st in all kinds of defensive categories since November. I just don't see how that all happens and it's possible for that long when Ceci plays in your top 4, plays over 20 mins a night against other teams top players, plays a ton on the PK if he's truly as bad defensively as certain fans think.

Is he elite? No he's not. But when healthy, is he solid? YES and the numbers back it up. He's especially good given how little money he makes. He and Nurse for whatever reason work pretty well and the results back that up. If a truly way better dman who doesn't cost the Oilers anymore on their cap falls in their lap and it doesn't cost them a lot assets, would I look at it? Sure. But are we 100% sure a Tanev or who ever will mesh well with Nurse to give them better results than they are getting with Ceci? I would say no. In theory, a Tanev should be better but there is no guarantee playing with Nurse will mean better results. So do I want to upset the Oilers defense who for over 2 months now has been one of if not the best in the NHL with numbers to back that up on a hunch and no signs of changing? I don't know if I do.

Plus the big thing, what will be the cost? The Leafs are in danger of missing the playoffs. I think the Leafs need at least 2 dmen just to make the playoffs. Can you imagine the backlash if the Leafs don't make trades? They are desperate, the Oilers are not. So I want no part in the Oilers getting into a bidding war with an absolutely desperate team.

Ceci is the guy that gets too much heat for the bad vs all the good? I think that might be Bouch you're talking about.

IMO Ceci's "good" doesn't really come that close to cancelling the bad. He is just a D that is in constant survival mode, which tipped to disaster in the playoffs multiple times for us now. He doesn't move the puck well, he doesn't defend that well either IMO. Doesn't even hit, lol. It's funny how he's just given a pass by media, maybe it's because he looks like a try hard as he is in his constant survival mode chasing the play. He also gambles a lot with zero offensive skill and forces Nurse to cover for him, when it should be the opposite.

He was drafted for offense and has tried to act like a defensive D for his NHL career to survive and get a pay cheque. He is like 2 years ago Nuge if Nuge was assigned to be a shutdown C. All of Nurse's stats are far better without Ceci. Almost everyones stats are far better without him.

For me, an upgrade on Nurse's D partner could actually put this team over the top and avoid a lot of potential disaster come playoff time. Goaltending obviously a lingering concern too. I don't worry too much about the forward group right now.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 January 2024 10:28]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829220 is a reply to message #829208 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Ceci seems better this year than last. Might be a function of the new system. He is a decent NHL defensemen who is top 6 on almost every team I think.

It doesn't mean he is the best option for a Stanley cup winning team though. Top teams will try to exploit the Oilers right side in the playoffs. All three of the RHD have their issues defensively. Des also seems to improved, but I bet he also gets exposed again in the playoffs.

I'm not comfortable with both Ceci and Des on the right side in the playoffs. An Ekholm-like upgrade on the RHD would be huge for this team.

A right hand centre for the bottom six would also help, but I think you can find a cheap rental for that. I don't see the need to pay a steep price for a rental at forward.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829232 is a reply to message #829220 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Steve wrote on Sat, 27 January 2024 08:38

Ceci seems better this year than last. Might be a function of the new system. He is a decent NHL defensemen who is top 6 on almost every team I think.

It doesn't mean he is the best option for a Stanley cup winning team though. Top teams will try to exploit the Oilers right side in the playoffs. All three of the RHD have their issues defensively. Des also seems to improved, but I bet he also gets exposed again in the playoffs.

I'm not comfortable with both Ceci and Des on the right side in the playoffs. An Ekholm-like upgrade on the RHD would be huge for this team.

A right hand centre for the bottom six would also help, but I think you can find a cheap rental for that. I don't see the need to pay a steep price for a rental at forward.

This is exactly where I sit no Ceci.
He is ok at a few things but great at nothing. Add in a couple of massive mistakes per game and you cant trust him with hard assignments or high minutes. There is a place on a most teams for that but it is usually on the 3rd pairing. If the team can make a deal for a better RHD than both Ceci and Des the group is a LOT better. Adding another forward could improve cup chances but I see that as a smaller increment.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829246 is a reply to message #829220 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 27 January 2024 07:38

I'm a guy who doesn't think Ceci is as bad as some people think. I refuse to believe you win 16 games in a row, he like 26-6 or something insane like that, hold your opponents to 2 goals or less in 14 straight, be #2 overall in goals against and 5th in the PK, when you have a player playing over 20 mins a night plus on of your main PK guys. A team can maybe be good defensively for a week or so with a supposedly bad player, not pushing half a season. That is way too many games and the results are way, way too good with numbers to back them up to say this is a fluke. This is the NHL, you can't hide a guy who plays 1/3 of each game.

I am all for upgrading. So if there is a secret Ekholm type of deal out there that no one saw come, sign me up. But I think bringing in a say Tanev who would be a very marginal upgrade in my opinion and have to probably spend way more assets than you should, especially since he plays for a division rival, I think would be foolish.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829247 is a reply to message #829246 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 08:43

I'm a guy who doesn't think Ceci is as bad as some people think. I refuse to believe you win 16 games in a row, he like 26-6 or something insane like that, hold your opponents to 2 goals or less in 14 straight, be #2 overall in goals against and 5th in the PK, when you have a player playing over 20 mins a night plus on of your main PK guys. A team can maybe be good defensively for a week or so with a supposedly bad player, not pushing half a season. That is way too many games and the results are way, way too good with numbers to back them up to say this is a fluke. This is the NHL, you can't hide a guy who plays 1/3 of each game.

I am all for upgrading. So if there is a secret Ekholm type of deal out there that no one saw come, sign me up. But I think bringing in a say Tanev who would be a very marginal upgrade in my opinion and have to probably spend way more assets than you should, especially since he plays for a division rival, I think would be foolish.

Are we falling in love with the 16 game win streak and deciding that the team is perfect and can just breeze to a cup?

We had some great runs last year too, but then when it mattered most Ceci was chasing players around in our end leaving the front of our net wide open to be scored on half a dozen times to bury us. Think your really overrating Ceci's "defense". He's just passable, borderline 2nd pair guy when he's on his game, which he has been lately I'll give him. When he's off his game, can be a complete disaster, and there is zero offensive skill to be able to make up for that in any way.

Tanev might be getting long on the tooth, although he's still a pretty good pure defensive D. Just in terms of where our biggest upgrade could happen right now to put this team over the top, IMO, Nurse's D partner is the best place to look rn.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829249 is a reply to message #829247 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 14:06

Are we falling in love with the 16 game win streak and deciding that the team is perfect and can just breeze to a cup?

Big parts of the media sure are. I mean, I do get it, it's easy to love the team right now. That doesn't mean the reality shouldn't still be acknowledged. That reality is that Ceci, in his current role of 2D, is the biggest issue on the blue line.
It does surprise me that the media and many fans are pumping his tires when he is the only guy to not improve during this run, where the team as a whole has made a giant leap.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829248 is a reply to message #829246 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 09:43

Your last statement I agree with 100%, except I dpnt think they need an Ekholm as a solid, stay at home 2D would come cheaper.
The problem with your defence of Ceci is that every single defenceman has improved in the last 32 games (I used your window of 26-6 above) EXCEPT for Ceci. I did look at all situations and 5V5 so it did give Ceci credit for his PK role.
He is still the worst defending defencemen on the team by every metric. I am not saying that tells the whole story as I do think he is better than Des and Kulak but in a 2D role he is a pretty big liability.
In that same 32 game window Nurse has made big improvements in all of the eye test, basic stats and advanced stats. In that time Ceci has either stayed the same or even gotten worse by every measurement.
I am not saying we 100% need to replace him as I think he is OK but I don't think he will ever be better than just OK.
If the team could find a way to move him down to 3D I think his numbers would improve 5V5 and he could still be a key PK'er.
In an ideal world they acquire a full on stay at home D to pair with Nurse and push Ceci down to 3RHD. If they could do this with non-roster assets I think it would be a huge win.
In theory they could do that and add some forward bottom 6 depth as well with some skilled cap managment by using expendable roster players or paying someone to take campbell.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829252 is a reply to message #829248 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 13:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 09:43

Your last statement I agree with 100%, except I dpnt think they need an Ekholm as a solid, stay at home 2D would come cheaper.
The problem with your defence of Ceci is that every single defenceman has improved in the last 32 games (I used your window of 26-6 above) EXCEPT for Ceci. I did look at all situations and 5V5 so it did give Ceci credit for his PK role.
He is still the worst defending defencemen on the team by every metric. I am not saying that tells the whole story as I do think he is better than Des and Kulak but in a 2D role he is a pretty big liability.
In that same 32 game window Nurse has made big improvements in all of the eye test, basic stats and advanced stats. In that time Ceci has either stayed the same or even gotten worse by every measurement.
I am not saying we 100% need to replace him as I think he is OK but I don't think he will ever be better than just OK.
If the team could find a way to move him down to 3D I think his numbers would improve 5V5 and he could still be a key PK'er.
In an ideal world they acquire a full on stay at home D to pair with Nurse and push Ceci down to 3RHD. If they could do this with non-roster assets I think it would be a huge win.
In theory they could do that and add some forward bottom 6 depth as well with some skilled cap managment by using expendable roster players or paying someone to take campbell.

I don't see me defending Ceci in a way that says I love the guy and are against upgrading him. That couldn't be farther from the truth. If there is a legit upgrade in all aspects, who isn't undersized, that won't cost you all your assets to bring in, that doesn't cost more cap wise than what Ceci makes and is a seamless fit for Nurse and the Oilers, sign me up. I would bring that guy all day, every day. I just have no clue who that guy is as I don't think he exists.

For the Oilers, I think they need guys on value deals. I feel like Ceci is a value deal and I say that not because I think he's an unreal player. For the Oilers, he plays a lot of minutes with Nurse against most teams best and while not elite, he does it decent. Not amazing but he's not overwhelmed. When Nurse and Ceci are on the ice, generally they do just fine. So in my opinion, just to replace Ceci with the same dman to play the exact same role, I don't think you can get that guy for 3.25 mill.

I place a lot of value on Nurse being comfortable playing with him and that pairing generally getting decent results. Like I said before, their defensive numbers have been outstanding with him playing a lot. I won't dispute he makes the odd mistake and maybe his advanced numbers are lower compared to others. But regardless, Nurse is comfortable playing with him. When they are on the ice, way, way, way, more good happens than bad. So I value continuity between pairs, especially big minute pairs and I don't want them screwing up whatever defensive mojo the whole team has going which Ceci has played a part in. So if they upgrade Ceci, they would be breaking up a successful pair so the guy they bring in better be a perfect fit. He has to be better as a player, he better be a guy the team likes because they like Ceci as a guy a lot. He better gel and compliment with Nurse like Ceci does. So it would be a big risk.

The biggest thing is the acquisition cost. Top 4, right shot dmen are generally harder to find. Lots of teams are generally always looked for top 4 dmen, even more so right shots. Then you look at who badly needs dmen WAY more than the Oilers. THE LEAFS. They are in a wild card spot which is lower than I am sure their organization and fan base expected. I think they will probably make the playoffs but they are in danger of missing. Their defense is BAD. They could probably use at least 2 dmen. Brand new GM, can you imagine the outcry of the fans if they miss? So I am sure he is big time under the gun. So I have to think out of desperation, the Leafs are going to jack up the price for top 4 dmen, especially right shots. Like I said in my previous post, I think Tanev would be a marginal upgrade for the Oilers but he would be a massive upgrade compared to some on the Leafs. So what are the Leafs, the team in the most pressure packed market in the NHL, willing to pay for say Tanev? That is what scares me and I don't think it would be worth because it would probable mean they would have to exhaust all their assets to get him especially since the GM of the provincial rivals will want to get a haul from the Oilers to soften the blow to his fans that he just helped make the hated Oilers better.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829254 is a reply to message #829252 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 08:48

I don't see me defending Ceci in a way that says I love the guy and are against upgrading him. That couldn't be farther from the truth. If there is a legit upgrade in all aspects, who isn't undersized, that won't cost you all your assets to bring in, that doesn't cost more cap wise than what Ceci makes and is a seamless fit for Nurse and the Oilers, sign me up. I would bring that guy all day, every day. I just have no clue who that guy is as I don't think he exists.

For the Oilers, I think they need guys on value deals. I feel like Ceci is a value deal and I say that not because I think he's an unreal player. For the Oilers, he plays a lot of minutes with Nurse against most teams best and while not elite, he does it decent. Not amazing but he's not overwhelmed. When Nurse and Ceci are on the ice, generally they do just fine. So in my opinion, just to replace Ceci with the same dman to play the exact same role, I don't think you can get that guy for 3.25 mill.

I place a lot of value on Nurse being comfortable playing with him and that pairing generally getting decent results. Like I said before, their defensive numbers have been outstanding with him playing a lot. I won't dispute he makes the odd mistake and maybe his advanced numbers are lower compared to others. But regardless, Nurse is comfortable playing with him. When they are on the ice, way, way, way, more good happens than bad. So I value continuity between pairs, especially big minute pairs and I don't want them screwing up whatever defensive mojo the whole team has going which Ceci has played a part in. So if they upgrade Ceci, they would be breaking up a successful pair so the guy they bring in better be a perfect fit. He has to be better as a player, he better be a guy the team likes because they like Ceci as a guy a lot. He better gel and compliment with Nurse like Ceci does. So it would be a big risk.

The biggest thing is the acquisition cost. Top 4, right shot dmen are generally harder to find. Lots of teams are generally always looked for top 4 dmen, even more so right shots. Then you look at who badly needs dmen WAY more than the Oilers. THE LEAFS. They are in a wild card spot which is lower than I am sure their organization and fan base expected. I think they will probably make the playoffs but they are in danger of missing. Their defense is BAD. They could probably use at least 2 dmen. Brand new GM, can you imagine the outcry of the fans if they miss? So I am sure he is big time under the gun. So I have to think out of desperation, the Leafs are going to jack up the price for top 4 dmen, especially right shots. Like I said in my previous post, I think Tanev would be a marginal upgrade for the Oilers but he would be a massive upgrade compared to some on the Leafs. So what are the Leafs, the team in the most pressure packed market in the NHL, willing to pay for say Tanev? That is what scares me and I don't think it would be worth because it would probable mean they would have to exhaust all their assets to get him especially since the GM of the provincial rivals will want to get a haul from the Oilers to soften the blow to his fans that he just helped make the hated Oilers better.

You don't think the guy out there exists who could provide an upgrade for Cody Ceci? And that Cody Ceci is a value deal at $3.25MM? Well, agree to disagree then!

Ceci isn't a great passer, doesn't have a great shot, doesn't hit that much. He's just one of those guys that's there and you hope you don't notice him. I realize, a lot of Oilers fans love the archetype of a non-offensive defenceman who barely ever gets any points and who seems semi-rugged in their style of play, but I don't think he's offering a lot, and $3.25MM is a ton to pay for that guy.

As for what it takes to get a RH d-man, it could be a defensive defenceman in the Nick Schultz mode (Cody Ceci maybe?), or a 2nd and a conditional 4th/5th round pick, or a 3rd round pick, or a third line forward...

We've seen no shortage of RHD swapped for relatively little. Just need to know which GMs you can take advantage of!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829256 is a reply to message #829254 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think RDOF was looking for a suggestion on who would be a suitable replacement at a cap hit we can take (assuming Kenny forgets to ask for retained salary again)

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829258 is a reply to message #829256 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 10:13

I think RDOF was looking for a suggestion on who would be a suitable replacement at a cap hit we can take (assuming Kenny forgets to ask for retained salary again)

10000000%

I am all for upgrading but who's the guy, what's it going to cost you and can you fit in the money. Like I said, I have looked at other teams on Capfriendly lots, I can't find a guy who makes Ceci money or less who's legit better. I'm not looking for a young guy who's barely played but on paper in his limited games and minutes might be better based on "the numbers". The Oilers are a cup team, I'm not dumping Ceci to turning my fortunes on a hunch then if he falters in the playoffs, you are screwed. So the guys that are legit better, assuming they are even available, they all cost way more. So how are they fitting them in, even if they retain and then what is the cost to get him because to get a quality player, it generally costs a team a decent amount, then when you tack on retaining, the costs goes up and up.

Even as an example, the Oilers traded Ceci to the Flames for Tanev. Tanev is a UFA so they will need a right shot replacement. Ceci has proven he can do the job to a somewhat decent level and based on who they have, Ceci probably wouldn't be on their top pairing which is good. He has another year on his deal for a reasonable price. But they would still need the Flames to retain to make the money work if they want to have any money left to add in some depth pieces. So they will need to add in more than just Ceci to make that trade.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 January 2024 10:53]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829262 is a reply to message #829258 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 10:48

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 10:13

10000000%

I am all for upgrading but who's the guy, what's it going to cost you and can you fit in the money. Like I said, I have looked at other teams on Capfriendly lots, I can't find a guy who makes Ceci money or less who's legit better. I'm not looking for a young guy who's barely played but on paper in his limited games and minutes might be better based on "the numbers". The Oilers are a cup team, I'm not dumping Ceci to turning my fortunes on a hunch then if he falters in the playoffs, you are screwed. So the guys that are legit better, assuming they are even available, they all cost way more. So how are they fitting them in, even if they retain and then what is the cost to get him because to get a quality player, it generally costs a team a decent amount, then when you tack on retaining, the costs goes up and up.

Even as an example, the Oilers traded Ceci to the Flames for Tanev. Tanev is a UFA so they will need a right shot replacement. Ceci has proven he can do the job to a somewhat decent level and based on who they have, Ceci probably wouldn't be on their top pairing which is good. He has another year on his deal for a reasonable price. But they would still need the Flames to retain to make the money work if they want to have any money left to add in some depth pieces. So they will need to add in more than just Ceci to make that trade.

Kinda the same comment all the time though no? Yeah, Holland absolutely sucks at cap management and he's constantly handcuffing himself. That's not an excuse to not improve the team though.

There are absolutely defensive D better than Ceci out there. Dozens across many teams. A properly managed team would figure out a way to make that improvement to this lineup. A properly managed team would know Ceci is not the best fit on Nurse's right side to stand up to the best of the best in the playoffs. A properly managed team would figure out a way to improve such an important position and weakness that absolutely killed us last playoffs.

So, get it done Holland, or we will all likely see the consequences come playoff time, and we will know you screwed up, again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829263 is a reply to message #829262 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That's not an excuse for the "OIELRS' to not improve the defense, but it is a HOLLAND one. do you believe/trust Holland to be able to do it effectively?
the guys who said, "Did you want me to get him (38 year old, demanded a trade to only Edmonton, Duncan Keith) for nothing"

Ceci isn't perfect, and I'm all for an upgrade, even if it is a rental. We need a cup now. Unless somebody retains money, it's going to be very difficult even for a competent GM to find a $ in $ out upgrade.
Assuming there is no retained money on a better D, I don't see many better Dman at his cap hit from a team that would trade with us.

options for passable D (don't know fi they're actually upgrades):
Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

that's about it for anybody decent with a similar cap hit.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829265 is a reply to message #829263 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 11:37

That's not an excuse for the "OIELRS' to not improve the defense, but it is a HOLLAND one. do you believe/trust Holland to be able to do it effectively?
the guys who said, "Did you want me to get him (38 year old, demanded a trade to only Edmonton, Duncan Keith) for nothing"

Ceci isn't perfect, and I'm all for an upgrade, even if it is a rental. We need a cup now. Unless somebody retains money, it's going to be very difficult even for a competent GM to find a $ in $ out upgrade.
Assuming there is no retained money on a better D, I don't see many better Dman at his cap hit from a team that would trade with us.

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

Holland did get Ekholm. Nashville was dumping him which ended up a great opportunity for us. We had to unload Barrie as part of the deal. I think replacing Ceci probably involves trading him, and his deal is probably an easy one for a team to take on.

Convincing Campbell that he needs to go on LTIR for mental health issues is probably something that opens up the most possibilities :)

One guy I would really go after if he was available is DeMelo. Very solid defensive D, always playing against tough competition and doing well. Unfortunately, he's been so good this year as part of the Jet's being 30-12 lol. I had no idea they were that good this season. Maybe not available, although he is going to be UFA. That would have been a move for the summer when the Jet's future was far more uncertain, but we were too busy patting ourselves on the back for convincing a busted Connor Brown to take a discount at $4M to join us. If the Jets could be convinced Ceci isn't much of a downgrade, plus how he has a year left and they can avoid more UFA pain after they already broke the bank, then we should be all over that, adding some picks to sweeten.

Tanev IMO would still be a significant upgrade if he could be had. I'd happily send Ceci to the Lames if they want to do another Holland swap and want a little certainty for their lineup with Tanev going UFA.

Not sure about Scandella, seems to be on a big downturn for his career. Schenn is basically Ceci but with hitting IMO. Holl is OK, but probably not a big enough upgrade.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829266 is a reply to message #829265 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ceci for Barrie with 50% retained?

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829268 is a reply to message #829266 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:45

Oilers would have to throw in a draft pick

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829271 is a reply to message #829266 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:45

hehe, probably the total opposite of what we need.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829267 is a reply to message #829265 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:37

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

Holland did get Ekholm. Nashville was dumping him which ended up a great opportunity for us. We had to unload Barrie as part of the deal. I think replacing Ceci probably involves trading him, and his deal is probably an easy one for a team to take on.

Convincing Campbell that he needs to go on LTIR for mental health issues is probably something that opens up the most possibilities :)

One guy I would really go after if he was available is DeMelo. Very solid defensive D, always playing against tough competition and doing well. Unfortunately, he's been so good this year as part of the Jet's being 30-12 lol. I had no idea they were that good this season. Maybe not available, although he is going to be UFA. That would have been a move for the summer when the Jet's future was far more uncertain, but we were too busy patting ourselves on the back for convincing a busted Connor Brown to take a discount at $4M to join us. If the Jets could be convinced Ceci isn't much of a downgrade, plus how he has a year left and they can avoid more UFA pain after they already broke the bank, then we should be all over that, adding some picks to sweeten.

Tanev IMO would still be a significant upgrade if he could be had. I'd happily send Ceci to the Lames if they want to do another Holland swap and want a little certainty for their lineup with Tanev going UFA.

Not sure about Scandella, seems to be on a big downturn for his career. Schenn is basically Ceci but with hitting IMO. Holl is OK, but probably not a big enough upgrade.

Why would the Jets who are one of the best teams in the NHL trade the Oilers DeMelo, one of their top 4 dmen who helped them be one of the best teams in the NHL?

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829270 is a reply to message #829267 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:58

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

Why would the Jets who are one of the best teams in the NHL trade the Oilers DeMelo, one of their top 4 dmen who helped them be one of the best teams in the NHL?

Because he's going to be UFA and we have the amazing Ceci who is on a 16 win streak team who has 1 extra year on his deal and Jet's could not only get some cost certainty, but some extra assets too.

Crazier things have happened. Lots of supposed contenders have traded a pending UFA for some assets. I'm doubting the Jets actually think they are a cup favorite, despite how their season has gone, and they just broke the bank on Scheifele and Helly and almost zero chance they will be able to keep DeMelo. Jets are having a season of luck, kinda like the Canucks. Probably early playoff exit. Demelo has been lucky himself, but underlying stats still good, along with his recent seasons.

I guess you would agree though that Ceci is <<< DeMelo since you think the Jets wouldn't do that deal. I agree. But I think the Jets org is in an awkward spot where a deal could make a lot of sense.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 January 2024 13:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829275 is a reply to message #829270 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 13:30

Because he's going to be UFA and we have the amazing Ceci who is on a 16 win streak team who has 1 extra year on his deal and Jet's could not only get some cost certainty, but some extra assets too.

Crazier things have happened. Lots of supposed contenders have traded a pending UFA for some assets. I'm doubting the Jets actually think they are a cup favorite, despite how their season has gone, and they just broke the bank on Scheifele and Helly and almost zero chance they will be able to keep DeMelo. Jets are having a season of luck, kinda like the Canucks. Probably early playoff exit. Demelo has been lucky himself, but underlying stats still good, along with his recent seasons.

I guess you would agree though that Ceci is <<< DeMelo since you think the Jets wouldn't do that deal. I agree. But I think the Jets org is in an awkward spot where a deal could make a lot of sense.

Might make some sense to everyone, if you can convince them that Ceci can deliver the goods almost as well, and maybe they get a pick or prospect too.

Another option, loved by some of the fancy stats would be Alex Carrier of Nashville. Similar numbers to Ceci on a much worse team. Cheaper, and a UFA which means flexibility, rather than being locked in to a deal with an aging defensive defenceman without much upside.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829276 is a reply to message #829270 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

icon_rolleyes

I'm sorry but I live in reality and teams who are in the hunt for their division title and the Presidents trophy don't dump top 4, right shot dmen just because they are a UFA.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829277 is a reply to message #829276 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 14:16

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

icon_rolleyes

I'm sorry but I live in reality and teams who are in the hunt for their division title and the Presidents trophy don't dump top 4, right shot dmen just because they are a UFA.

They get one back with an extra year of term. Why do you think Ceci is so bad?

You're starting to make me worry even more about having Ceci and going to playoffs with him. He must be worse than I thought that the Jets would not even consider this swap so they can avoid losing DeMelo for nothing and needing to find a replacement this summer with barely any money to spend.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829278 is a reply to message #829277 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 14:34

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

icon_rolleyes

You're starting to make me worry even more about having Ceci and going to playoffs with him. He must be worse than I thought that the Jets would not even consider this swap so they can avoid losing DeMelo for nothing and needing to find a replacement this summer with barely any money to spend.

I went on and on about why I don't think Ceci is as bad as some people think.

I don't see the Jets trading DeMelo and disrupting their team chemistry for what looks like a lateral move.

DeMelo has 1 goal, 15 pts. 82 hits, 81 Blocks, plays 21:47, 2:41 on the PK.
Ceci has 0 goals, 13 pts, 30 hits, 65 blocks, 20:13, 2:45 on the PK

They are both defensive dmen. Maybe DeMelo moves a puck a touch better, maybe a touch more physical but the difference in them doesn't look like much. So I don't see why the Jet would trade a guy who is part of their team and played a big role in where they are at, just to bring in a dman who's not a clear upgrade.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829279 is a reply to message #829278 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 14:52

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

icon_rolleyes

I don't see the Jets trading DeMelo and disrupting their team chemistry for what looks like a lateral move.

They are both defensive dmen. Maybe DeMelo moves a puck a touch better, maybe a touch more physical but the difference in them doesn't look like much. So I don't see why the Jet would trade a guy who is part of their team and played a big role in where they are at, just to bring in a dman who's not a clear upgrade.

Because they are about to lose him as UFA for nothing and they are an eternally cash strapped team. They also should be under no illusions that they have more than a 2% shot at the cup this year. We would also pay them a little to help secure their RHD spot for next season. The Oilers are taking the largest risk in a trade, and IMO we need to be taking risks right now.

They are both playing defense, but their actual defensive ability is quite different. Ceci is a guy that is forcing Nurse to make up for his weaknesses constantly in our end. Ceci is just pretending to be a defensive D, and a lot of the time he shows us how he's thinking offense, and reminds us of how bad he is at doing it over and over. DeMelo would be a guy that is helping let Nurse take some more chances. The dynamic would change significantly for Nurse IMO if we had an actual reliable defensive D with him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829280 is a reply to message #829279 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 16:21

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 14:52

Luke Schenn 2.75m
Marco Scandella?? 3.275m
Justin Holl 3.4m

icon_rolleyes

Because they are about to lose him as UFA for nothing and they are an eternally cash strapped team. They also should be under no illusions that they have more than a 2% shot at the cup this year. We would also pay them a little to help secure their RHD spot for next season. The Oilers are taking the largest risk in a trade, and IMO we need to be taking risks right now.

They are both playing defense, but their actual defensive ability is quite different. Ceci is a guy that is forcing Nurse to make up for his weaknesses constantly in our end. Ceci is just pretending to be a defensive D, and a lot of the time he shows us how he's thinking offense, and reminds us of how bad he is at doing it over and over. DeMelo would be a guy that is helping let Nurse take some more chances. The dynamic would change significantly for Nurse IMO if we had an actual reliable defensive D with him.

I supposed anything is possible. I don't actually think this is a serious conversation so I will leave it at that.

For the record, I don't want Nurse taking more chances. I think he is way better when he plays a more simplified game like he is doing now vs the all over the ice he played up until this year.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 January 2024 16:33]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829282 is a reply to message #829280 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 16:29

I supposed anything is possible. I don't actually think this is a serious conversation so I will leave it at that.

For the record, I don't want Nurse taking more chances. I think he is way better when he plays a more simplified game like he is doing now vs the all over the ice he played up until this year.

Would have been a move for last summer or early this season. Lots of DeMelo talk was everywhere because everyone knows the Jet's have a hard time with UFA's. Of course we were busy with far more important things last summer, like attracting orange beards.

For sure harder now. Maybe if the Jets hit a bad run and start thinking about next year. Sounds like teams are still scouting Dillon and DeMelo, again, because it's the Jet's and these guys are pending UFA's :) Not much talk going around with media stories.

Just hope Jackson/Holland are looking. We have a smart analytics guy in the org now. There is no way that there hasn't been some talk about Ceci being a bit of a drag on the group and on Nurse. Fingers crossed the org is exporing options.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 January 2024 16:52]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829283 is a reply to message #829282 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 16:50

Would have been a move for last summer or early this season. Lots of DeMelo talk was everywhere because everyone knows the Jet's have a hard time with UFA's. Of course we were busy with far more important things last summer, like attracting orange beards.

For sure harder now. Maybe if the Jets hit a bad run and start thinking about next year. Sounds like teams are still scouting Dillon and DeMelo, again, because it's the Jet's and these guys are pending UFA's :) Not much talk going around with media stories.

Just hope Jackson/Holland are looking. We have a smart analytics guy in the org now. There is no way that there hasn't been some talk about Ceci being a bit of a drag on the group and on Nurse. Fingers crossed the org is exporing options.

Unless the Jets seriously hit the skids, I don't see them getting rid of 2 of their top 4 guys just because they are UFA's. The have Hellebuyck playing vezina caliber goaltending. They are near the tops in the West and the league and have been for most of the year. Maybe you are right and they have 2% chance at the cup but I guarantee no one in the Jets organization believes that given where they are at and how they are playing.

You keep the team together, take your shot, then worry about UFA's in the offseason. I get the narrative in this site is all GM's are idiots and fans are smart but I just don't see any GM of a first place team gutting his teams top 4 becuase he's worried about them being UFA's.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829284 is a reply to message #829283 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 17:03

Unless the Jets seriously hit the skids, I don't see them getting rid of 2 of their top 4 guys just because they are UFA's. The have Hellebuyck playing vezina caliber goaltending. They are near the tops in the West and the league and have been for most of the year. Maybe you are right and they have 2% chance at the cup but I guarantee no one in the Jets organization believes that given where they are at and how they are playing.

You keep the team together, take your shot, then worry about UFA's in the offseason. I get the narrative in this site is all GM's are idiots and fans are smart but I just don't see any GM of a first place team gutting his teams top 4 becuase he's worried about them being UFA's.

The Jets would hardly be the first team to make a trade of a guy at the deadline because they're concerned about next year as well as this year. If they're dealing DeMelo, then they'll want to make sure they get someone back who makes that deal less of a drop-off. If they believe in Ceci (which if they have good analytics, they probably shouldn't), then it could make sense for them. They get someone under team control in case Elias Salomonsson isn't ready to make the jump from the SEL to the bigs next year. And probably get some additional piece from the Oilers as well - an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and suddenly your middling middle pairing defenceman isn't as untouchable as you once thought he was.

For a good GM, a middle pairing defenceman isn't the hardest upgrade in the world to make. There's probably 8-10 defencemen in the league who would fit the bill without costing an arm and a leg.

And you can target several of them at once - you're not just calling Winnipeg and hoping that you can somehow make a Ceci/DeMelo trade work.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829286 is a reply to message #829284 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 18:20

The Jets would hardly be the first team to make a trade of a guy at the deadline because they're concerned about next year as well as this year. If they're dealing DeMelo, then they'll want to make sure they get someone back who makes that deal less of a drop-off. If they believe in Ceci (which if they have good analytics, they probably shouldn't), then it could make sense for them. They get someone under team control in case Elias Salomonsson isn't ready to make the jump from the SEL to the bigs next year. And probably get some additional piece from the Oilers as well - an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and suddenly your middling middle pairing defenceman isn't as untouchable as you once thought he was.

For a good GM, a middle pairing defenceman isn't the hardest upgrade in the world to make. There's probably 8-10 defencemen in the league who would fit the bill without costing an arm and a leg.

And you can target several of them at once - you're not just calling Winnipeg and hoping that you can somehow make a Ceci/DeMelo trade work.

I completely understand asset management. However, how many teams in first place and near the top of the league start shipping out UFA's, guys who are a big time part of their success mid season? It rarely happens. Not unless they are upgrading that position.

A Ceci for DeMelo trade I don't see as an upgrade for the Jets, I see it as a lateral move. Yes you get a guy who is signed for 1 more year but there is no way the players are thinking about next season. They are in the here and now and in the here and now they are near the top of their division and in the league and trading out a key guy would not go over well. It's not happening and that doesn't mean the GM is an idiot.

If you truly believe worry about assets is WAY more important than winning, then should the Oilers not be trading their UFA's as well? They have some guys who are upcoming UFA's who are playing extremely well and are key guys to their success.

Brown and Janmark. They don't make a lot, both UFA's. They are 2 guys who the coach BY NAME has singled out as being key reasons their PK has been near the best in the NHL. That PK is helping them win games. So they should be traded according to your logic right? Who cares about the PK, get assets for them, fingers cross your PK keeps going after trading away who your coach counts on the most and thinks is his best forward pairing.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2024 08:39]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829294 is a reply to message #829286 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 08:36

I completely understand asset management. However, how many teams in first place and near the top of the league start shipping out UFA's, guys who are a big time part of their success mid season? It rarely happens. Not unless they are upgrading that position.

A Ceci for DeMelo trade I don't see as an upgrade for the Jets, I see it as a lateral move. Yes you get a guy who is signed for 1 more year but there is no way the players are thinking about next season. They are in the here and now and in the here and now they are near the top of their division and in the league and trading out a key guy would not go over well. It's not happening and that doesn't mean the GM is an idiot.

If you truly believe worry about assets is WAY more important than winning, then should the Oilers not be trading their UFA's as well? They have some guys who are upcoming UFA's who are playing extremely well and are key guys to their success.

Brown and Janmark. They don't make a lot, both UFA's. They are 2 guys who the coach BY NAME has singled out as being key reasons their PK has been near the best in the NHL. That PK is helping them win games. So they should be traded according to your logic right? Who cares about the PK, get assets for them, fingers cross your PK keeps going after trading away who your coach counts on the most and thinks is his best forward pairing.

Yes - I would trade Brown or Janmark for cheaper equivalents. Especially if I gained something else in that trade. Both are the absolute furthest thing from untouchables to me. Replaceable bit parts.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829302 is a reply to message #829294 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 15:14

Yes - I would trade Brown or Janmark for cheaper equivalents. Especially if I gained something else in that trade. Both are the absolute furthest thing from untouchables to me. Replaceable bit parts.

Brown makes 775 which is league min. You can't get cheaper.
Janmark makes 1 mill. 225 above league min. So you will struggle to find a guy cheaper who does as well on the PK and defensively.

I am very glad you don't coach or manage the team becasue your suggestion to dump 2 useful players in their roles, who are making league min or barely above it flat out stupid. All you are getting for those 2 is lower end picks and it's very likely anyone you put in their place won't do their jobs anywhere near as well.

On top of that, team defense is what has been sorely lacking from this team for YEARS. They didn't lose to Vegas last year because they couldn't score, they lost because their team defense sucked. In key times they couldn't kill a penalty or keep a puck out of their net. In the games they lost, they gave up 6, 5, 4, 5 goals. You aren't winning in the playoffs giving up that many goals. It's a fact. Good team defense and a great PK is what is winning them games and is the reason they might break the all time wins in a row record. Those 2 aren't scoring goals but they are a big part of the teams defense and especially the PK. The coach singles them out by name as being critical factors to the teams success. Yes you'd like guys on your 4th line to chip in the odd goal every so often but what is most critical is that line doesn't get scored on. They don't get scored on, that line doesn't get dominated and they create chances. I heard the number last week on a boradcast and I can't remember what it is but Janmark hasn't been scored on when he's on the ice in some ridiculous amount of games.

You don't trade useable players who in a defined role do extremely well, when they are making league min to get some crappy asset and probably replace them both with a worse player. That's what dumb GM's do.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829303 is a reply to message #829302 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 08:28

Janmark makes 1 mill. 225 above league min. So you will struggle to find a guy cheaper who does as well on the PK and defensively.

I am very glad you don't coach or manage the team becasue your suggestion to dump 2 useful players in their roles, who are making league min or barely above it flat out stupid. All you are getting for those 2 is lower end picks and it's very likely anyone you put in their place won't do their jobs anywhere near as well.

On top of that, team defense is what has been sorely lacking from this team for YEARS. They didn't lose to Vegas last year because they couldn't score, they lost because their team defense sucked. In key times they couldn't kill a penalty or keep a puck out of their net. In the games they lost, they gave up 6, 5, 4, 5 goals. You aren't winning in the playoffs giving up that many goals. It's a fact. Good team defense and a great PK is what is winning them games and is the reason they might break the all time wins in a row record. Those 2 aren't scoring goals but they are a big part of the teams defense and especially the PK. The coach singles them out by name as being critical factors to the teams success. Yes you'd like guys on your 4th line to chip in the odd goal every so often but what is most critical is that line doesn't get scored on. They don't get scored on, that line doesn't get dominated and they create chances. I heard the number last week on a boradcast and I can't remember what it is but Janmark hasn't been scored on when he's on the ice in some ridiculous amount of games.

You don't trade useable players who in a defined role do extremely well, when they are making league min to get some crappy asset and probably replace them both with a worse player. That's what dumb GM's do.

I am completely confident that Janmark will be moved at the deadline along with another asset to upgrade the team's depth. Seravalli hinted that bonuses can be traded too, but I never followed up on where he got this nugget of info and I cannot validate his claim. If moving Brown can happen then he has got to go.

Janmark and Connor Brown are not elite PK'ers, or at least no better than many other forwards in the NHL. They are smart, work hard and have accepted their roles as offensive black holes. Almost every top end PK guy is a very hard working and coachable. That can be re-produced. I give credit to the system and team buy-in over individuals. As for the coaches singling out the two? That is great leadership and public praise reinforces good behaviour. I hope all of the players hear an emphasis on what they are doing correctly and how it impacts the team in a positive manner.

I am okay with keeping Janmark even if he's worse offensively than Brown, but if one or both move I know we will survive. Brown and that cap bonus needs to go.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829304 is a reply to message #829302 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 08:28

I am completely confident that Janmark will be moved at the deadline along with another asset to upgrade the team's depth. Seravalli hinted that bonuses can be traded too, but I never followed up on where he got this nugget of info and I cannot validate his claim. If moving Brown can happen then he has got to go.

Janmark and Connor Brown are not elite PK'ers, or at least no better than many other forwards in the NHL. They are smart, can process the game at a high level, work hard and have accepted their roles as offensive black holes. Almost every top end PK guy is a very hard working and coachable. That can be re-produced. I give credit to the system and team buy-in over individuals. As for the coaches singling out the two? That is great leadership and public praise reinforces good behaviour. I hope all of the players hear the emphasis on what they are doing correctly and how it impacts the team in a positive manner.

I am okay with keeping Janmark even if he's worse offensively than Brown, but if one or both move I know we will survive. Brown and that cap bonus needs to go.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2024 13:30]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829307 is a reply to message #829304 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

I believe (about 85% sure) whoever the player plays for on July 1 is responsible for the cost of the performance bonus. Trading Brown would absolutely be a win for us.

Also, public praise is something we've sorely lacked for a lot of years. The oilers were more interested in finding scapegoats. Public praise doesn't just make the player feel more valuable, it gets their name mentioned. lets hype brown and his defensive acumen as much as we can. Let's talk about him to every 'other' team's reporter we can and get them talking about him for us.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2024 10:07]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829311 is a reply to message #829307 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 10:05

I believe (about 85% sure) whoever the player plays for on July 1 is responsible for the cost of the performance bonus. Trading Brown would absolutely be a win for us.

Also, public praise is something we've sorely lacked for a lot of years. The oilers were more interested in finding scapegoats. Public praise doesn't just make the player feel more valuable, it gets their name mentioned. lets hype brown and his defensive acumen as much as we can. Let's talk about him to every 'other' team's reporter we can and get them talking about him for us.

If you are correct and the Oilers wouldn't be on the hook for the bonus if he was traded, then I would look at a trade.

That being said, and I am not saying you aren't right because I don't know the answer for myself, but it seems odd they would allow that because if that is the case, a team could trade Brown's rights in June to team like Arizona who needs money just to get to the floor. If you look at Capfriendly, they have Vorachek, Weber and Little all on just IR, 3 guys who are never playing again. They count for 21.398 mill on their cap and they are still near the bottom of the league in cap spending. Weber will still be there but Little and Vorachek's deals are done. That's 13.5 mill they have to replace.

Pages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Toronto - Hot take
Next Topic:Holland’s Successor
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca