Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Corey Perry an OilerPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829064 is a reply to message #829063 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 14:24

Perry doesn't have to tell anyone anything. He didn't do anything illegal. So the only people he needs to explain things too are the people involved and his family. So like it or not, the self righteous fans who think they should know everything about everyone's personal business so they can pass judgement don't need to know squat.

It is the world we live in and it has been that way forever. For as long as there has been newspapers there has been a desire for gossip. Every coffee shop has a row of people talking about their neighbor, their co-worker, someone's spouse, their job, politics, etc ....

Put me in the self-righteous line. I want to know what happened. I want to know about the U18 SA controversy. Give me the dirt on Phanuef/Avery. Cutter Gauthier? Tell me more. What happened to those kids with the Moose Jaw Warriors that were suspended last year? I want it all.

Like you said earlier. The Oilers and most of the league likely know most of the story already, but all these teasers do is spark gossiping and click bait articles that fuels public interest.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829065 is a reply to message #829063 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 13:24

Perry doesn't have to tell anyone anything. He didn't do anything illegal. So the only people he needs to explain things too are the people involved and his family. So like it or not, the self righteous fans who think they should know everything about everyone's personal business so they can pass judgement don't need to know squat.

I ain’t saying he is obligated to share anything. It was just a soft set up by Rishaug. Virtually a useless question by a useless reporter. Pretend journalism.

Clean house or bust

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829067 is a reply to message #829065 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 14:45

I ain’t saying he is obligated to share anything. It was just a soft set up by Rishaug. Virtually a useless question by a useless reporter. Pretend journalism.

Best story seems to be some grabby hands while drunk at a team/org gathering. Hawks using the opportunity to show how much their org has changed for the better, by taking a zero tolerance full exit approach, after letting a player be physically/psychologically abused by the video coach for a year and hiding that they knew, so it wouldn't interfere with their cup run.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 January 2024 15:15]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829068 is a reply to message #829067 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 15:11

Best story seems to be some grabby hands while drunk at a team/org gathering. Hawks using the opportunity to show how much their org has changed for the better, by taking a zero tolerance full exit approach, after letting a player be physically/psychologically abused by the video coach for a year and hiding that they knew, so it wouldn't interfere with their cup run.

Well, that's the second best story.

The Oilers certainly should know what's happen. The media and fans have every right to ask, be interested in the story and, more importantly, judge everyone based on what they're told. However, modern thinking holds that big companies, especially public facing companies, have a moral and ethical obligation to create better communities by using their platforms to change the world as we know it. If whatever Perry was fired for by the 'hawks made the world worse by any standard they should be forthcoming on how they're going to reverse the impact.

Like I said, we all get to judge the team and the player however we'd like and respond accordingly. I assume the Oilers are bulletproof in Edmonton and will continue to do whatever they want simply because nothing impacts their bottom line.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829069 is a reply to message #829068 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 15:25

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 15:11

Well, that's the second best story.

The Oilers certainly should know what's happen. The media and fans have every right to ask, be interested in the story and, more importantly, judge everyone based on what they're told. However, modern thinking holds that big companies, especially public facing companies, have a moral and ethical obligation to create better communities by using their platforms to change the world as we know it. If whatever Perry was fired for by the 'hawks made the world worse by any standard they should be forthcoming on how they're going to reverse the impact.

Like I said, we all get to judge the team and the player however we'd like and respond accordingly. I assume the Oilers are bulletproof in Edmonton and will continue to do whatever they want simply because nothing impacts their bottom line.

lol. Yes, sorry, second best story.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829109 is a reply to message #829012 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Chicago media guy apparently laid out what Perry did

https://youtu.be/XQ4-HguUC90?si=Um0t81M5iOavqzh0

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 08:16]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829110 is a reply to message #829109 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 10:13

This always seemed like the most likely situation, but it is interesting how in the Blackhawks efforts to "scorch earth" on any misconduct like this that it led to wilder rumours that the organization spent way too long not addressing until it got too loud and something had to be said.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829112 is a reply to message #829110 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 08:29

This always seemed like the most likely situation, but it is interesting how in the Blackhawks efforts to "scorch earth" on any misconduct like this that it led to wilder rumours that the organization spent way too long not addressing until it got too loud and something had to be said.

There's a lesson to be learned in all of that somewhere.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829121 is a reply to message #829110 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 08:29

Given the Hawks issues with what happened with Beach and I think it came to light another former player came forward not that long ago, I have to think that entire organization has decided to have an zero tolerance policy for anything. They as an organization need to rebuild their image and has to be squeaky clean for a long time to do it, so I bet that played a part in whatever Perry did and why they decided to get rid of him for something that wasn't illegal and while maybe a little embarrassing to the team, probably wouldn't result in a players contract being terminated on other teams.

Just my opinion but if what is being reported is true, I find it hard to believe that Perry is the only NHL player ever to get really drunk and try to hit on someone he shouldn't.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829122 is a reply to message #829121 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

If it's true I don't have an issue with the Hawks firing Perry, but I doubt they would be willing to take this stance with every player on the roster.

Dropping Perry makes them look like they are turning a new leaf and buttoning down on unacceptable behavior.

If Bedard did the same thing, the story would be buried.

It's not an equal standard and I think what the Hawks did is purely for public relations, not specifically to hold Perry accountable.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829132 is a reply to message #829122 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 10:17

If it's true I don't have an issue with the Hawks firing Perry, but I doubt they would be willing to take this stance with every player on the roster.

Dropping Perry makes them look like they are turning a new leaf and buttoning down on unacceptable behavior.

It's not an equal standard and I think what the Hawks did is purely for public relations, not specifically to hold Perry accountable.

I wonder what the definition of "make a pass" is here. I don't think hitting on someone, or even propositioning them is cause for dismissal - especially if it's someone who isn't with the organization. I struggled with this during the height of the "me too" movement too - mixed in with the rapes and the abuse of power, you'd have a story of some guy who tried to hit on someone while they were drunk and the girl just wasn't interested in them. If nothing else happened, how is that a story? If he just shot his shot and got shot down, then I can't see that as grounds for dismissal. If he persisted or was really handsy or what not, then maybe that's a different story.

If it's really as simple as Scott suggests, then I'd think Perry has a pretty strong case against the Blackhawks and they'll end up paying him most of his contract in the end. If not, well, then there's more here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829137 is a reply to message #829132 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 11:54

I wonder what the definition of "make a pass" is here. I don't think hitting on someone, or even propositioning them is cause for dismissal - especially if it's someone who isn't with the organization. I struggled with this during the height of the "me too" movement too - mixed in with the rapes and the abuse of power, you'd have a story of some guy who tried to hit on someone while they were drunk and the girl just wasn't interested in them. If nothing else happened, how is that a story? If he just shot his shot and got shot down, then I can't see that as grounds for dismissal. If he persisted or was really handsy or what not, then maybe that's a different story.

If it's really as simple as Scott suggests, then I'd think Perry has a pretty strong case against the Blackhawks and they'll end up paying him most of his contract in the end. If not, well, then there's more here.

Perry has cashed almost $100M in his career, and I think he gets ~$3M out of the 4 Chicago's deal gave him. Now he gets another $1M from us, so he's getting $4M this year in the twilight of his career.

Even if it's just that he made a pass or touched a lady while drunk and he feels like he should have been giving more leeway by Chicago, is it really worth his time to start a fight with the Hawks? We just gave him everything he could have wanted. All his lost salary back, and a chance to win a cup now. Getting his drunk grabby hands event back in the media just on principle to stick it to the Hawks seems like more stress than it would be worth. Especially considering he has a wife and kid to answer to. I'm thinking he's more than happy to never deal with it again, except when his wife brings it up to win arguements for the rest of his life.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 12:15]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829140 is a reply to message #829137 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think (but am certainly not sure) that he had to pay back his signing bonus.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829143 is a reply to message #829140 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:28

Oh, they didn't give him a "play 10 games" bonus. So he may be out 2M this season.

So, debate between trying to get the 2M (based on Kane stuff, I think whatever he earns here would cancel out what Chicago had to reimburse him) and having his drunken perviness be hashed out in public, or just moving on and accepting he made a $2M mistake. If he did do it to someone that was actually an NBC employee assigned to cover the hawks, it probably makes it more complicated too (for him and the Hawks) than if he did it to just a Hawks employee, or someones mom.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 12:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829155 is a reply to message #829143 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:37

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:28

Oh, they didn't give him a "play 10 games" bonus. So he may be out 2M this season.

So, debate between trying to get the 2M (based on Kane stuff, I think whatever he earns here would cancel out what Chicago had to reimburse him) and having his drunken perviness be hashed out in public, or just moving on and accepting he made a $2M mistake. If he did do it to someone that was actually an NBC employee assigned to cover the hawks, it probably makes it more complicated too (for him and the Hawks) than if he did it to just a Hawks employee, or someones mom.

Chances are good that it never goes public. Like Kane’s argument with the Sharks, the NHL arbitrates it behind closed doors and both sides eventually settle. He won’t get everything but he will get more than he leaves behind.

And yeah he’s made millions but that gravy train is almost at a full stop. He’s got to make the money last for another 50 years potentially so I’d expect that it’s worth it to him to have that battle.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829147 is a reply to message #829137 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:13

Perry has cashed almost $100M in his career, and I think he gets ~$3M out of the 4 Chicago's deal gave him. Now he gets another $1M from us, so he's getting $4M this year in the twilight of his career.

Even if it's just that he made a pass or touched a lady while drunk and he feels like he should have been giving more leeway by Chicago, is it really worth his time to start a fight with the Hawks? We just gave him everything he could have wanted. All his lost salary back, and a chance to win a cup now. Getting his drunk grabby hands event back in the media just on principle to stick it to the Hawks seems like more stress than it would be worth. Especially considering he has a wife and kid to answer to. I'm thinking he's more than happy to never deal with it again, except when his wife brings it up to win arguements for the rest of his life.

Sounds like he is getting a break in this trade. In the presser he shared that his wife and kids remained in Chicago. Not that its not normal for the family to stay in there home during a mid-season trade, but I can only imagine his home life has dramatically changed after the incident. That 100M+ career earnings may get chopped in half soon enough.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829153 is a reply to message #829147 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 13:02

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:13

Sounds like he is getting a break in this trade. In the presser he shared that his wife and kids remained in Chicago. Not that its not normal for the family to stay in there home during a mid-season trade, but I can only imagine his home life has dramatically changed after the incident. That 100M+ career earnings may get chopped in half soon enough.

Lol. Maybe he is waiting until after the divorce to sue for damages in hopes he can keep more of it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829212 is a reply to message #829012 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Projected lines from practice today..

Holloway, McLeod, Perry.. two speedsters and one rat sniper.. should be an interesting combo..

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman@DNBsports

Oilers bottom six:

Holloway-McLeod-Perry

Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Gagner

.. man Brown sure hasn't met the hopes from preseason .. top 6 to being interchangeable on the 4th..

[Updated on: Fri, 26 January 2024 16:36]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829213 is a reply to message #829212 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 26 January 2024 16:33

Holloway, McLeod, Perry.. two speedsters and one rat sniper.. should be an interesting combo..

Quote:

Oilers bottom six:

Holloway-McLeod-Perry

Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Gagner

Those are the way I would have the bottom 6 right now.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829214 is a reply to message #829212 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Oilers bottom six:

Holloway-McLeod-Perry

Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Gagner

.. man Brown sure hasn't met the hopes from preseason .. top 6 to being interchangeable on the 4th..

Oilers Legend Gagner kicked aside for the orange beard. Very sad.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829215 is a reply to message #829214 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 January 2024 15:52

Quote:

Oilers bottom six:

Holloway-McLeod-Perry

Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Gagner

.. to give Brown credit though he is very good at PK..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829216 is a reply to message #829215 ]
Fri, 26 January 2024 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 26 January 2024 17:50

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 January 2024 15:52

Quote:

Oilers bottom six:

Holloway-McLeod-Perry

Janmark-Ryan-Brown

Gagner

.. to give Brown credit though he is very good at PK..

Yeah, swap of non-pker depth guys. Hopefully Perry works on that third line.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829222 is a reply to message #829216 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Prediction : Perry's 1st point as an Oiler ..... assist on Brown's 1st goal. icon_nod

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829375 is a reply to message #829012 ]
Fri, 02 February 2024 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NHLPA gets extension from NHL to file grievance on behalf of Perry.. indicates its intension to file .. probably result in settlement.. likely a portion of original contract money to Perry.. an equal amount of cap hit to Chicago..

NHLPA had to do this.. teams will start looking for "code of conduct" infractions to terminate bad contracts.. it all started with LA Kings and the Mike Richards case.. NHLPA was "assured" by the NHL back then this wouldn't happen (see below)

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2024/2/2/24059602/co rey-perry-contract-grievance-blackhawks-nhl-nhlpa-deadline-m isconduct

Quote:

TORONTO — The deadline for the NHL Players Association to file a grievance against the Blackhawks related to their termination of Corey Perry’s contract has been extended, NHLPA director Marty Walsh said Friday.

The deadline was originally 60 days after the termination, which put it in late January.

Reading between the lines, the extension allows the NHLPA to keep open the threat of filing a grievance — and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly indeed said Friday a grievance had been “threatened” — while likely pushing for a settlement.

“His timeline ran out, so we want to make sure we have enough time to continue forward,” Walsh said.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Perry believes the Hawks did not have proper grounds to terminate his contract over the workplace misconduct incident that took place Nov. 21 during a Hawks road trip to Columbus.

Bettman added, however, that he personally has no problem with how the Hawks handled the situation.

Below is a write up about the Mike Richards case by a lawyer a few years ago.. concerns were made back then.. teams could use "code of conduct" as an easy out for voiding contracts more frequently..

In that case Richards was actually CHARGED with a crime (and convicted) .. transporting DRUGS across the Can/USA border.. which "could" constitute a "Material Breach" of the standard NHL players contract code of conduct .. (this was the LA Kings and NHL's argument).. but the "material breach" aspect was never actually contested.. as it never went to an arbitrator.. it was settled..

In Perry's case .. there weren't EVEN charges.. therefore.. nothing even remotely close to a material breach..

NHLPA needed to contest it.. and I suspect likely win if it ever went to an arbitrator..
Teams should be able to suspend anyone for bad conduct.. but voiding the contract.. and the associated cap hit.. is an entirely different level..

https://www.mcbop.com/hockey-players-contract-terminated-for -material-breach/#:~:text=The%20NHL%20has%20Standard%20Playe r,should%20constitute%20a%20material%20breach.
Quote:

Hockey Player’s Contract Terminated for “Material Breach”

The NHL’s Los Angeles Kings recently terminated the contract of former star Mike Richards. It has since been reported that the team did so due to an incident at the border involving Oxycodone.

This was a surprising move that is likely to be vigorously contested by Richards (who was still owed five years and $22 million under his contract) and his union representatives at the NHLPA.

How did the Kings terminate the contract?

The NHL has Standard Player Contracts which provide, at paragraph 12, that the team may terminate a player’s contract if the player shall:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club’s rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a MATERIAL BREACH.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC.

Richards and the NHLPA may now apply to have the termination considered by an independent arbitrator.

Why was this surprising?

Typically, an NHL team who wants to terminate the contract of a player must pay the remaining amount owed to the player and incur a penalty from the league limiting the amount the team can spend in future years under the league’s salary cap. The Kings have apparently dodged both consequences.

What will an arbitrator determine?

There does not appear to be any precedent for an NHL team to terminate a player’s contract on this basis and the Kings certainly face an uphill battle in proving their case.

The arbitrator’s decision will likely hinge on his/her interpretation of what constitutes a ‘material breach’. The Supreme Court of Canada has previously held that “a breach that is ‘substantial’ or ‘goes to the root of’ the contract is often also described as a material breach.” (Guarantee Co. of North America v. Gordon Capital Corp, [1999] 3 SCR 423).

Do the Kings have evidence of an incident illustrating Richard’s failure to obey the team’s rules going to the ‘root of the contract’? Probably not.

This is especially so in light of the fact that the NHL has a comprehensive substance abuse policy geared towards rehabilitating players. The arbitrator may not be happy about the Kings’ apparent attempt to circumvent this policy if the termination did indeed stem from an incident involving Oxycodone.

Will this strategy be used by teams in the future?

Beyond the anticipated vigorous opposition by Richards and the NHLPA, this was the perfect storm. Richards was under-performing in relation to his contract, the Kings had reportedly been trying to get out from under his contract for quite some time, and he managed to get in trouble shortly before the NHL’s free agency period began.

This strategy is not likely to be used in the future. In fact, another Kings player (Voynov.. see link at bottom) was recently sentenced to 90 days in jail for domestic violence, but there are no reports that the Kings consider this to be a material breach.

Friedman article after the Richards settlement (2015).. note the NHLPA was "assured" by the NHL that the settlement wouldn't be used as a precedent for future cases..
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermat h-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/
Quote:

The most asked question in NHL circles last weekend was, “What’s going to happen with their cap?”

The Los Angeles Kings reached a settlement with Mike Richards, ending the grievance process with a player whose contract was terminated. While bits and pieces have leaked, the exact salary cap repercussions have yet to be shared with the other teams.

But here’s what we do know:

If the Kings had bought out Richards last summer, he would have stayed on their payroll until the end of the 2024-25 season. The cap hit would move from approximately $1.2M this season to $1.7M next year, followed by $2.7M in 2017-18 and a two-season peak of $4.2M in 2018-19 and 2019-20. Then it would stay just under $1.5M for the final five seasons.

With the agreement, Richards’ cash lasts until the end of 2030-31 campaign. As part of a cap-recapture penalty due to decreasing dollar values towards the end of his contract, the Kings lose $1.32M from their cap this year — and the next four — with the settlement amount added to that total. Starting in 2020-21, the team’s only penalty is the settlement itself — and that’s not a high number, believed to be somewhere in the $550,000 per season range on average.

The year-to-year totals apparently vary. That’s huge cap relief for the Kings, especially when you consider his hit was to be $5.75M this year because they did not buy him out.

Privately, other teams are screaming bloody murder and are threatening to make an issue about it at December’s Board of Governors’ meeting. But the NHL is not sympathetic. In a phone conversation, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly pointed out Article 50 of the CBA does have a mechanism for settlements.

“In our view, the Kings had a ‘Bona Fide’ opportunity to win this grievance,” Daly said. “In that case, they would have no cap hit at all. This way, there’s some penalty.”

You can dispute the merits of Daly’s argument, but when an arbitrator gets involved, all bets are off. All summer, I read how courts don’t like to overrule collective bargaining agreements between two parties. That didn’t stop the NFL from getting crushed by Tom Brady. So, who knows?

Richards hasn’t spoken yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he pushed for the settlement. No one had more to lose than he did. If the NHLPA loses, everyone who argues for him still gets paid. If the Kings lose, yes the cap takes a hit, but owner Philip Anschutz is still worth $11.6 Billion, according to Forbes.

If Richards loses, he gets nothing. It’s easy to say, “Hey, you’ve got a good case,” when it’s not your money. I understand why he’d want it for peace of mind.

The agents weren’t thrilled either.

“What’s to stop other teams from trying this?” one asked. The NHLPA did get, in writing, assurances the Richards grievance could not be used as precedent in any future cases.

Quote:

Note (mine): The reason the NHL gave that it wouldn't be used as a precedent was because it was a "unique case", there were actual criminal charges, with conviction, which (in the NHL's opinion) constituted a "material breach" of the code of conduct clause in the standard NHL players contract..

That’s important language. But, we did cross new ground here. Are other clubs saying, “If they did it, we can too?”

For comparison..

There was also the case of another LA King.. Slava Voynov who was actually CONVICTED of SPOUSAL ABUSE and it appears the Kings (and NHL) never considered it a "material breach" of code of conduct.. they still paid him out while he was in jail.. only terminated his contract after he left for Russia..
https://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olympics-voyno v-assault-20180219-story.html

This "code of conduct and voiding contract" tactic is something new.. and seems to have all started with the Richards case.. NHLPA <b l i n k e d> and are now reaping the result..

[Updated on: Fri, 02 February 2024 15:52]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Corey Perry an Oiler [message #829384 is a reply to message #829375 ]
Sat, 03 February 2024 15:41 Go to previous message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

All star break. Miss oilers hockey

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #46)
Next Topic:Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca