F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » AJHL Defections
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 AJHL Defections [message #828953]
Sat, 20 January 2024 17:29 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The BCHL announced this afternoon that 5 AJHL teams have been accepted to play in the BC league next year, including sherwood park and spruce grove. In response the AJ may have suspended the 5 rogue teams for the rest of the season. Interesting times watching leagues and now teams leave the hockey Canada umbrella.

Personally I was gearing up to watch the Cru make a playoffs run but that’s looking unlikely. Feel bad for the kids being caught in this.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829021 is a reply to message #828953 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 20 January 2024 16:29

The BCHL announced this afternoon that 5 AJHL teams have been accepted to play in the BC league next year, including sherwood park and spruce grove. In response the AJ may have suspended the 5 rogue teams for the rest of the season. Interesting times watching leagues and now teams leave the hockey Canada umbrella.

Personally I was gearing up to watch the Cru make a playoffs run but that’s looking unlikely. Feel bad for the kids being caught in this.

Have no idea what prompted the jump.. is this all about playing NCAA easier?? .. imports?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829024 is a reply to message #829021 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 17:03

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 20 January 2024 16:29

Have no idea what prompted the jump.. is this all about playing NCAA easier?? .. imports?

Yeah as far as I can tell the BCHL left Hockey Canada before last season to become a better path to college and have more control over the players they can take. Plus people are unhappy with Hockey Canada right now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829039 is a reply to message #829024 ]
Mon, 22 January 2024 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://bchl.ca/bchl-produces-document-to-modernize-canadian -junior-hockey-system

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829045 is a reply to message #829039 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 22 January 2024 11:19

https://bchl.ca/bchl-produces-document-to-modernize-canadian -junior-hockey-system

After some digging it seems its all about where you can recruit from..

BCJHL left in 2022/23 and have been recruiting from everywhere..

CJHL rules (AJHL)
Quote:

CJHL General Rules:

- A team may only have six import players on their roster at any one time. An import is defined as an American-born player. No Canadian-born players who are age-eligible to play in any Junior A leagues across the country are considered imports. For American based teams they can only carry 2 Canadian born players.

- Teams are limited to two 16 year olds per team.

- Maximum of 9 over-agers (20 year olds).

- Transfer deadline is January 10.

So allowed 6 imports.. doesn't sound that restrictive.. actually surprised its so much.. I mean it is supposed to be a Canadian JUNIOR league not an International pro league..

Not sure what the BCJHL now has.. has to be more lenient in that regard.. maybe no limit.. ?

So far I'm thinking F the BCJHL and its owners..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829054 is a reply to message #829045 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 01:56

CJHL rules (AJHL)
Quote:

CJHL General Rules:

- A team may only have six import players on their roster at any one time. An import is defined as an American-born player. No Canadian-born players who are age-eligible to play in any Junior A leagues across the country are considered imports. For American based teams they can only carry 2 Canadian born players.

So allowed 6 imports.. doesn't sound that restrictive.. actually surprised its so much.. I mean it is supposed to be a Canadian JUNIOR league not an International pro league..

Not sure what the BCJHL now has.. has to be more lenient in that regard.. maybe no limit.. ?

I see it a more of another step in the evolution from community based minor sports organizations to club organizations. Already teams, even the teams who aren't going west, have surprisingly few local or provincial players.

The real shame to me is Hockey Canada refusing to adapt to the reality of the situation and allowing a schism to form that walls off the best players from the Centennial Cup and the World Junior A tournament. But players wants a clearer path to college and it's looking like the BHJL (they dropped the J when they split from Hockey Canada) is now that path. I heard they and the 5 defecting AJ teams had an unbelievably high number of NCAA commits this year compared to the rest of junior A, but obviously can't confirm that.

The most telling part of this story was that Okotoks was (is?) scheduled to host the Centennial Cup next year. They had a free ticket to the national championship, didn't have to worry about getting steamrolled by Brooks in the playoffs for the millionth time, and still decided to leave.

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829062 is a reply to message #829054 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 09:47

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 01:56

CJHL rules (AJHL)
Quote:

CJHL General Rules:

I see it a more of another step in the evolution from community based minor sports organizations to club organizations. Already teams, even the teams who aren't going west, have surprisingly few local or provincial players.

The real shame to me is Hockey Canada refusing to adapt to the reality of the situation and allowing a schism to form that walls off the best players from the Centennial Cup and the World Junior A tournament. But players wants a clearer path to college and it's looking like the BHJL (they dropped the J when they split from Hockey Canada) is now that path. I heard they and the 5 defecting AJ teams had an unbelievably high number of NCAA commits this year compared to the rest of junior A, but obviously can't confirm that.

The most telling part of this story was that Okotoks was (is?) scheduled to host the Centennial Cup next year. They had a free ticket to the national championship, didn't have to worry about getting steamrolled by Brooks in the playoffs for the millionth time, and still decided to leave.

Is playing BC teams going to make a lot of sense though? That's a whole lot of bus travel. The economics of a more spread-out league can't be great. Not like any of these teams prints money. I grew up in Sherwood Park and went to several Crusaders games - it was never a hard ticket to come by.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829066 is a reply to message #829062 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 14:11

Is playing BC teams going to make a lot of sense though? That's a whole lot of bus travel. The economics of a more spread-out league can't be great. Not like any of these teams prints money. I grew up in Sherwood Park and went to several Crusaders games - it was never a hard ticket to come by.

I imagine they're going to make two longish tours of BC... like 7 games in 11 days. Then play half their games against the other Alberta teams. A lot of Wednesday night games against Blackfalds and SG, weekend trips to Brooks and Okotoks. The only really screwy trip will be heading out to Prince George.

The Cru has gotten better attendance, sponsorship, and results over the last ~10 years. Plenty of tickets still available. Who knows, they might get their new arena built.

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829071 is a reply to message #829066 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 14:50

Adam wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 14:11

I imagine they're going to make two longish tours of BC... like 7 games in 11 days. Then play half their games against the other Alberta teams. A lot of Wednesday night games against Blackfalds and SG, weekend trips to Brooks and Okotoks. The only really screwy trip will be heading out to Prince George.

The Cru has gotten better attendance, sponsorship, and results over the last ~10 years. Plenty of tickets still available. Who knows, they might get their new arena built.

Aren't a lot of those kids still in school?

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. There will be some massive hate-ons if 5 teams play the majority of their games against each other.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: AJHL Defections [message #829074 is a reply to message #829071 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 18:01 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 23 January 2024 17:26

Aren't a lot of those kids still in school?

I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Junior hockey is already an 18, 19, and 20 year old game. Plus they've split from Hockey Canada they won't be able to call up affiliate midget (I think) players who are still in high school.

Previous Topic:"Diamond Hands".. A Real Life "Slapshot" Character
Next Topic:ECHL All Star Game.. new move! 😮
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca