This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828930]
Thu, 18 January 2024 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Adrean, Tuffy and watchman for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   63%
Seattle to win:   38%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828933 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/aa/e9/b3aae939e16f68541c55b38a4ad8a66d.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828937 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Resilient once again!

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828938 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

This team is a wagon.

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828939 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Maybe Connor Brown is bringing 4M value

Ryan Donaldson @Maddawg81
Oilers are now 25-15-1 when Connor Brown doesn’t score.

Sometimes less is more.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

BroeRe: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828941 is a reply to message #828939 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 22:14

Maybe Connor Brown is bringing 4M value

Ryan Donaldson @Maddawg81
Oilers are now 25-15-1 when Connor Brown doesn’t score.

Sometimes less is more.

I guess Connor is just banking on scoring a winning hat-trick in either a Campell Cup or Stanley cup winning game 7, just to show us he knows how to score.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828940 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

History in the making, we now tie Montreal for longest Canadian team winning streak! We are coming for your Pittsburgh!!!! Calgary, Columbus and Chicago… YOU'RE NEXT!

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828942 is a reply to message #828940 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Another fantastic win. Skinner was unreal again

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828943 is a reply to message #828942 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Didn't get to see this one as it was blacked out here & I couldn't find a reliable stream. Was the officiating as bad as what Fat Bob was saying on the radio? He was losing his mind. Sounded like a pretty scrappy game.

12 in a row...let's make it 13 vs those losers down south tomorrow!

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828944 is a reply to message #828943 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have to admit after the first period I was a tiny bit worried. The Oilers didn't play bad, they actually had a bunch of good chances but Deccord was good and the Kraken buried a couple of Oilers mistakes.

But what I like though is the Oilers have ZERO panic in their game anymore. In the past, if they were down a goal or 2 and the other goalie was playing well, they would start taking risks and pretty soon the lead against would get more and more. They don't do that anymore. They stay calm, they stick with their game and the pick away at the lead, get the lead then lock it down. I think I saw the Oilers didn't allow a single shot for the last 10 mins of the 3rd.

I am going to say it. I think their start to the season is a blessing. It did 2 things. 1. Got Woody and Manson fired. As good as Woody and Manson were, I think Knoblauch is better. He has them playing defense they have never played before. Goals against and the PK were always a problem with the Oilers. They are 9th in goals against, they have a top 10 PK. Whatever Woody and Manson were trying to get the players to do, they were either ignoring it, didn't understand it or it didn't work. Whatever Knoblaugh and the staff are doing now, it's working, the players understand it and they have 100% bought in.

2. I think it made the players finally give in and realize they have to play defense. They were cup favorites and how they played "their way" got them to dead last. It got a coach they actually really liked fired. Game after game, year after year, they talked about needing to play better defense and cutting down goals against. They would do it for short spurts but it never lasted and they would always have to outscore their defensive woes. So I think their start was the absolute rock bottom for them and they finally as a team decided how they want to play doesn't work after years of trying and they have to play some defense to win. They have been excellent defensively for months now. I've never seen Nurse play this good defensively, he's doing what we all have wanted. McD, Leon have been mostly very good. Nuge was always OK but he's been better. Hyman's been good toned that down big time. The whole team plays good defensively game after game, they PK is great.

I really don't think this happens under Woody. Nothing agaisnt him. He's a good coach, I know he tried but it just wasn't clicking in to the players for whatever reason. They probably would have eventually turned it around under Woody to some degree, they had too much talent not too but I don't think anything close to this. Under Woody, I think they might have been able to battle for the last wild card, probably would have taken the whole season. Under Knoblauch, I think 3rd is a given, 2nd a pretty good chance and while a ways to go, I wouldn't say no to first. Everyone says the Canucks are doing what they are doing behind an insane PDO that in all likelihood won't continue.

Pretty remarkable.

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828945 is a reply to message #828944 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

After allowing three breakaways in the first, I thought they were having an off game and would finally lose one. Went to bed and wake up to see they dominated the rest of the game.

This version of the Oilers seems to get better as the game goes on. They are making adjustments in-game and are finding ways to exploit other teams weaknesses. Reminds me of 2006 in a way.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828946 is a reply to message #828930 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Exactly one month ago the Oilers lost a suffocating game on Long Island. They have not lost since.

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828947 is a reply to message #828946 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I normally don't bother reading Gregor's "articles" on ON, as over the past 6 months or so they have degenerated into nothing but stats spam, but I did find it interesting that a Western Conference team has never had a 13 game win streak.

Re: Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #828948 is a reply to message #828947 ]
Fri, 19 January 2024 22:00 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 19 January 2024 14:58

I normally don't bother reading Gregor's "articles" on ON, as over the past 6 months or so they have degenerated into nothing but stats spam, but I did find it interesting that a Western Conference team has never had a 13 game win streak.

Worth noting, pretty much none of the records compare before and after 2006. The Oilers would have had at least one tie if this was a game before that point - they went to a shootout. Not to mention, 3v3 OT provides significantly more decisions than 5v5 OT ever did so there's a real chance we could have had 3 ties in this stretch if this was played with the old rules.

The Oilers had a 15-game undefeated streak in the 1980s. That's tied for 26th longest ever. If we can go to 15 games, then I think that's comparable. That's three long games away though!

We are in pretty rarefied air though in the post-2006 era. There have only been five streaks longer than our current one. Columbus (!) went 16 wins in a row in 2017, Pittsburgh went 15 in 2013, the Capitals went 14 in a row in 2010, the Panthers and Devils both had 13 game streaks in 2022. 12 game streaks aren't AS rare in the shootout age. it's been accomplished five times before us - Penguins (2010-11), Bruins (2013-14), Panthers (2015-16), Blackhawks (2015-16), and Wild (2016-17).

It will be fun to see if we can keep it going and rise up that list a little further.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #42)
Next Topic:GDT: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca