This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828882 is a reply to message #828879 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 15:47

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 14:51

For sure it’s something amazing. Which is why all this talk of the Oilers pivoting and now prioritizing forward help scares me. We have to expect some goaltending regression or worse yet injury, and the Oilers have to plan for this. Betting on a Pickard Skinner tandem in the playoffs because of a competent few months of hockey is poor planning. A run of bad goaltending at the wrong time can quickly sink a team and we need a better relief option than Pickard.

Because Vegas knew without a shadow of a doubt that career back up Hill would suddenly go all world and help win them the cup? They were so sure on Hill, they started Brossoit to end the season and through the playoffs until he got hurt against the Oilers and were forced to play Hill.

There is zero guarantee that any goalie they bring, assuming they could get one given the limited supply and the need by many teams, will play better than who they got. As Vegas proved, goaltending is a crap shoot and if you play good defense in front of a goalie, you can elevate an average goalie.

Vegas had 6 goalies last year for exactly this reason. No, they didn't know Hill would win them the cup, but they knew they couldn't waste time with guys who wouldn't. The Oilers should bring in a 4th option because no one knows if any of Skinner, Pickard, or Rodrigues can do it.

On that note, Campbell has won his last two AHL games only giving up two goals in each. Who doesn't love a good redemption story?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828884 is a reply to message #828882 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 16:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 15:47

For sure it’s something amazing. Which is why all this talk of the Oilers pivoting and now prioritizing forward help scares me. We have to expect some goaltending regression or worse yet injury, and the Oilers have to plan for this. Betting on a Pickard Skinner tandem in the playoffs because of a competent few months of hockey is poor planning. A run of bad goaltending at the wrong time can quickly sink a team and we need a better relief option than Pickard.

Because Vegas knew without a shadow of a doubt that career back up Hill would suddenly go all world and help win them the cup? They were so sure on Hill, they started Brossoit to end the season and through the playoffs until he got hurt against the Oilers and were forced to play Hill.

There is zero guarantee that any goalie they bring, assuming they could get one given the limited supply and the need by many teams, will play better than who they got. As Vegas proved, goaltending is a crap shoot and if you play good defense in front of a goalie, you can elevate an average goalie.

Vegas had 6 goalies last year for exactly this reason. No, they didn't know Hill would win them the cup, but they knew they couldn't waste time with guys who wouldn't. The Oilers should bring in a 4th option because no one knows if any of Skinner, Pickard, or Rodrigues can do it.

On that note, Campbell has won his last two AHL games only giving up two goals in each. Who doesn't love a good redemption story?

Who's that goalie they should bring in? There is what, a couple of guys that maybe are available?

I heard goalie analyst Kevin Woodley say on Gregor's show that Pickards underlying numbers are actually quite good compared to other back ups. So who's that forsure extra goalie that is available?

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828886 is a reply to message #828884 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 16:43

Who's that goalie they should bring in? There is what, a couple of guys that maybe are available?

I heard goalie analyst Kevin Woodley say on Gregor's show that Pickards underlying numbers are actually quite good compared to other back ups. So who's that forsure extra goalie that is available?

I'd look at Buffalo and Montreal to start. Montreal is obvious, they have a three headed monster. Buffalo is kind of like the Oilers. They're a dumb franchise that keeps seeing their players not find their potential. Obviously I certainly don't know that Dustin Tokarski is the certified guaranteed extra goalie that's available. Just like I don't know that second year Skinner is that guy either.

Not that I think goalie depth will be a deadline priority. Feels like they're priming the pump for a forward like Perry and a Ceci replacement.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828885 is a reply to message #828877 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Definitely need a good backup at the least. Would love to see an alternate universe where we bring Campbell back and see what happens. I think in all of Campbell's time here we only ever at best had one goalie playing OK and the other was a disaster, and for lots of the time both were disasters. Skinner/Pickard may be the only time in the last 2 seasons where we had both goalies actually playing well.

But you never know when Skinner will hit a rut. And all hopes on Pickard or even a Campbell call up if we are desperate could lead to another disaster in net.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828880 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

What an epic run they are on. And it's not due to an explosive PP or entirely on the back of 97 & 29. Depth is a huge part of it. And rarely getting scored on more than twice per game has been quite refreshing.

Oilers might have a good coach behind the bench. His subtle tweaks seem to pay nice dividends at times. Could we have a coach that can adjust in the middle of a 7 game series now? It's quite possible.

Limecat Likey. Bring on the Kraken..

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca