Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828833]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Adrean, NCREDiBLE and Tuffy for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   65%
Toronto to win:   35%
17 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828837 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Congrats to Tardigardi(sp) for the awesome prediction. Great game and they look like a serious playoff team.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828838 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Another sweet comeback win. Win record extended to 11.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/attachments/1686916863950-gif.20822/

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828839 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

What a game. Team is playing with one thousand percent confidence.

Without a doubt the best stretch of Oilers hockey I’ve seen in my life.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828841 is a reply to message #828839 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Skinner and the emergence of McLeod bode well for the OIL... if Holloway comes back with confidence??? (looks at Connor Brown)

And 97 did all of the dirty work on 71's goal.

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828842 is a reply to message #828841 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

“This is cinema.” - Martin Scorsese

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828843 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

That was fun

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828844 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Tue, 16 January 2024 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

What the hell is going on here?

Whooooooo!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828851 is a reply to message #828844 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 04:58

What the hell is going on here?

Whooooooo!

That’s how it’s done

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828852 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Moved even with LA at 9 games over. Actually ahead of them slightly in points percentage due to playing 1 less game.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2024 05:06]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828853 is a reply to message #828852 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Just finished watching the game (I'm not watching live till this run ends), that was fun. Loved the chanting between the fans. I know it's rare that a road team has so many watching them in NA due to the travel issues, but hearing each fans going at it and making Rogers come alive rather than being a library was fun. Again I know it isn't part of NA fan culture to have fans chanting much, but it does enhance the atmosphere in the arena.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828857 is a reply to message #828853 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Leia wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 05:05

Just finished watching the game (I'm not watching live till this run ends), that was fun. Loved the chanting between the fans. I know it's rare that a road team has so many watching them in NA due to the travel issues, but hearing each fans going at it and making Rogers come alive rather than being a library was fun. Again I know it isn't part of NA fan culture to have fans chanting much, but it does enhance the atmosphere in the arena.

I love an electric crowd and although I hate the fact it takes the Leafs fans trying to take over or barn, I do wish we would bring that energy to more games.

It might be more of a Canadian thing. It is like we go to the game and treat the experience like a visit to the museum. We watch, we appreciate, we sit on our hands unless we score a goal, there is a big hit or a fight. I was at Madison Square Gardens a few years back and the crowd involvement was much better, and it had nothing to do with the in-house presentation. The fans all had their goal chants and songs. Carolina stands for large chunks of a game (god forbid someone leans forward in their seats at Rogers). Nashville has a fan site that creates some of their jeers and 'Paul' plays a large part of the entertainment. Multiple teams have fans singing old rock/pop songs. We just do not know how to express ourselves when we are having fun.

Canada's lack of flamboyance is extremely impressive considering the copious amount of alcohol we consume during 3 periods of hockey.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828858 is a reply to message #828857 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Extremely entertaining game. I thought the Oilers came out a little loose in the first 5 mins. Gave up the early goal, the Leafs hit a post then it clicked in to the Oilers playing run and gun gets them in trouble and they went back to playing their game and eventually won.

They weren't as clean with the puck like they normally are, Skinner was there when called upon but I thought they get full marks for the win. 11 in a freaking row!!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828863 is a reply to message #828857 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 08:41

I love an electric crowd and although I hate the fact it takes the Leafs fans trying to take over or barn, I do wish we would bring that energy to more games.

It might be more of a Canadian thing. It is like we go to the game and treat the experience like a visit to the museum. We watch, we appreciate, we sit on our hands unless we score a goal, there is a big hit or a fight. I was at Madison Square Gardens a few years back and the crowd involvement was much better, and it had nothing to do with the in-house presentation. The fans all had their goal chants and songs. Carolina stands for large chunks of a game (god forbid someone leans forward in their seats at Rogers). Nashville has a fan site that creates some of their jeers and 'Paul' plays a large part of the entertainment. Multiple teams have fans singing old rock/pop songs. We just do not know how to express ourselves when we are having fun.

Canada's lack of flamboyance is extremely impressive considering the copious amount of alcohol we consume during 3 periods of hockey.

I think our reserved approach makes it even more special when we go crazy over a late game goal or epic win.

I've experienced some pretty wild crowds at sporting events in other countries/cities and I gotta say....I would not be a fan of that full time. Playoffs, of course, but a January game? Meh.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that stuff though. Like with concerts, I absolutely can not stand listening to other people sing when I'm trying to enjoy a live performance. The standing too. I paid for this seat - sit down and and shut tf up. icon_lol I'm trying to enjoy listening to this live version of my favorite music! icon_wink It's the old man in me.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828871 is a reply to message #828863 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 09:35

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 08:41

I think our reserved approach makes it even more special when we go crazy over a late game goal or epic win.

I've experienced some pretty wild crowds at sporting events in other countries/cities and I gotta say....I would not be a fan of that full time. Playoffs, of course, but a January game? Meh.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that stuff though. Like with concerts, I absolutely can not stand listening to other people sing when I'm trying to enjoy a live performance. The standing too. I paid for this seat - sit down and and shut tf up. icon_lol I'm trying to enjoy listening to this live version of my favorite music! icon_wink It's the old man in me.

Jason Strudwick .... is that you?

Lol. I also would not want it crazy for a whole game either, but as a fan who who was lucky enough to experience a playoff game once in my life .... I'd like that feeling more often. For lots of fans going to a game is a rarity, and most likely thousands in attendance at each game will only see one live NHL game in their lifetime. I would love our barn to be more fun and less about the tshirt toss.

FYI .. I say this and yet I despise the wave.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828859 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

McDavid was a physical force out there. That was playoff Connor.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828864 is a reply to message #828833 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It’s crazy that despite winning 8 in a row and 11 in a row we are just holdong onto a Wildcard spot. Yes, 4 games in hand on lots of teams but these games coming up against the Kraken and Flames are huge.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828865 is a reply to message #828864 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 09:59

It’s crazy that despite winning 8 in a row and 11 in a row we are just holdong onto a Wildcard spot. Yes, 4 games in hand on lots of teams but these games coming up against the Kraken and Flames are huge.

They are all huge.

Aside from us playing extremely well right now, one our best indicators for success in upcoming games is our schedule. No back-to-backs until Feb 9/10 vs the Ducks and Kings, and only Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday games until the All Star break.

we need to expect a loss in the near future, but there is no reason why this team cannot continue to run at a great pace until then. Seattle, Calgary, CBJ, Hawks and Preds lead us up to the break. Realistically all are winnable games and beating Columbus and the hawks should almost be a certainty. Hard to imagine us dropping all 3 games to the Kraken, Flames and Nashville.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828867 is a reply to message #828865 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 10:42

They are all huge.

Aside from us playing extremely well right now, one our best indicators for success in upcoming games is our schedule. No back-to-backs until Feb 9/10 vs the Ducks and Kings, and only Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday games until the All Star break.

we need to expect a loss in the near future, but there is no reason why this team cannot continue to run at a great pace until then. Seattle, Calgary, CBJ, Hawks and Preds lead us up to the break. Realistically all are winnable games and beating Columbus and the hawks should almost be a certainty. Hard to imagine us dropping all 3 games to the Kraken, Flames and Nashville.

I thought there was an outside chance but realistically, I didn't think the Oilers would win every game in January. I thought they would probably go 9-2 or 8-3 looking at the schedule. However, I had the Leafs game as a game they would probably lose. Just because the Leafs seem to have the Oilers number and the Oilers tend to try to play run and gun. So now, looking at the schedule, winning all 5 is maybe not realistic but for sure 4 of them.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828870 is a reply to message #828865 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

The Saturday Game against Calgary will be crazier than normal if this team takes care of business against the Kraken tomorrow.

Feels like an old school BoA could be in the cards, because no way the Flames want to be the 13th in a row.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828866 is a reply to message #828864 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It's the OT loser point working it's magic to keep the standings tighter than they should be.

Kings have 50 pts, 8 of them are OT loser points.
Flames have 47 pts, 5 of them are OT loser points.
Kraken have 47 pts, 9 of them are OT loser points.

Knights have 55 pts, 5 are OT loser points.

Oilers have 49 pts, 1 is an OT loser point.

So if the NHL counted an OT loss as a loss and didn't reward the team for losing in OT like I think they need to stop, the standings would be:

Canucks 58
Knights 50
Oilers 48
Kings 42
Flames 42
Kraken 38

Big difference. That's why the Oilers run is so incredible to make up as much ground as they did so fast because the NHL is designed to make it extremely hard to make up points.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828874 is a reply to message #828866 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 10:49

It's the OT loser point working it's magic to keep the standings tighter than they should be.

Kings have 50 pts, 8 of them are OT loser points.
Flames have 47 pts, 5 of them are OT loser points.
Kraken have 47 pts, 9 of them are OT loser points.

Knights have 55 pts, 5 are OT loser points.

Oilers have 49 pts, 1 is an OT loser point.

So if the NHL counted an OT loss as a loss and didn't reward the team for losing in OT like I think they need to stop, the standings would be:

Canucks 58
Knights 50
Oilers 48
Kings 42
Flames 42
Kraken 38

Big difference. That's why the Oilers run is so incredible to make up as much ground as they did so fast because the NHL is designed to make it extremely hard to make up points.

There's just no point doing a bunch of calculations on what would be if the league had a different method for distributing points. The current system, like it or not, is the system that we play in. There is a slight advantage to Wins and another to Regulation and Overtime wins, as those are the critical categories in deciding tie-breakers, so the Oilers are doing well to win more of their games ahead of the shootout, but there's no point in spending much time talking about how we'd be so much further ahead if there was no extra point, because it isn't going away, especially not this year.

The Oilers have put themselves in a position where they could conceivably catch Los Angeles and Las Vegas (who just lost Jack Eichel for a few weeks) by the end of January, but we still need to keep winning games. We dug a very deep hole early in the year, and that is the bigger issue for us in the standings, as opposed to extra points for losing in OT or winning in shootouts.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828869 is a reply to message #828864 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Won 8 in a row too. I think 19 wins in 22 games? That was quite the hole this team dug trying to master the art of "zone defense" after coaches being mind-f'd by Vegas, lol. Oh and our clinically depressive goalie doing his thing and possibly depressing our other guy too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828872 is a reply to message #828869 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 11:09

Won 8 in a row too. I think 19 wins in 22 games? That was quite the hole this team dug trying to master the art of "zone defense" after coaches being mind-f'd by Vegas, lol. Oh and our clinically depressive goalie doing his thing and possibly depressing our other guy too.

They have found a vaccine for Campbell'itis. Skinner recovered and now Rodrigue is prospering in the AHL even though Jack still has not found consistency in the minors.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828873 is a reply to message #828872 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 12:38

They have found a vaccine for Campbell'itis. Skinner recovered and now Rodrigue is prospering in the AHL even though Jack still has not found consistency in the minors.

Skinner hasn't just recovered, he's playing Vezina level of hockey right now. If the Oilers don't collapse down the stretch he deserves to win. Even with the garbage start he's now 5th in wins and 7th in starts. I don't understand goaltending well enough to understand why I'm seeing this, but I know I'm watching something amazing.

His game sv% over the last 8 starts (all wins) have been:

That's ridiculous. Short of a Brian Bouchard Boucher miracle 5 straight shut out run, there is nothing more anyone could ask of this guy. Hellebuyck and Daccord have given their teams similar otherworldly production lately.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2024 14:01]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828875 is a reply to message #828873 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 13:59

Skinner hasn't just recovered, he's playing Vezina level of hockey right now. If the Oilers don't collapse down the stretch he deserves to win. Even with the garbage start he's now 5th in wins and 7th in starts. I don't understand goaltending well enough to understand why I'm seeing this, but I know I'm watching something amazing.

That's ridiculous. Short of a Brian Bouchard Boucher miracle 5 straight shut out run, there is nothing more anyone could ask of this guy. Hellebuyck and Daccord have given their teams similar otherworldly production lately.

Honestly, I'm worried about this. Skinner is playing very well and we've won a couple of games even when our scoring wasn't getting it done. That's great and not taking anything away from Skinner over that stretch.

However, there is a danger here that this will lead Holland to believe that the goaltending box has been checked. The Oilers are often fooled by small sample sizes, and they should not look at the recent stretch as verification that Stuart has just learned and got overnight better, and that he won't again play like he did in last year's playoffs or at the start of this year.

We need an insurance policy. I'm not sure that the Oilers are going to understand this though, and it will not shock me at all if our tandem in the post-season now is Skinner/Picard or even Skinner/Campbell.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828878 is a reply to message #828875 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 14:40

Honestly, I'm worried about this. Skinner is playing very well and we've won a couple of games even when our scoring wasn't getting it done. That's great and not taking anything away from Skinner over that stretch.

However, there is a danger here that this will lead Holland to believe that the goaltending box has been checked. The Oilers are often fooled by small sample sizes, and they should not look at the recent stretch as verification that Stuart has just learned and got overnight better, and that he won't again play like he did in last year's playoffs or at the start of this year.

We need an insurance policy. I'm not sure that the Oilers are going to understand this though, and it will not shock me at all if our tandem in the post-season now is Skinner/Picard or even Skinner/Campbell.

The goaltending box has been checked. Skinner is playing like prime Hasek and Pickard has played well enough not to force them to try someone else. Maybe they make a trade for a tender before the deadline 6 weeks from now, but I don't see it as enough time to test the guy out. In Skinner we trust.

Pointless story: I traded Logan Cooley for Skinner 12 games into the season. It is the best fantasy trade I've ever made. My goalie box has been checked in permanent ink.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828876 is a reply to message #828873 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 13:59

The Oilers overall are doing a way, way better job of cutting down the high end chances. They gave a few more than normal good chances last night but generally over the last couple of months, they don't give teams very many good looks. Which is exactly how they are supposed to play.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828877 is a reply to message #828873 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

For sure it’s something amazing. Which is why all this talk of the Oilers pivoting and now prioritizing forward help scares me. We have to expect some goaltending regression or worse yet injury, and the Oilers have to plan for this. Betting on a Pickard Skinner tandem in the playoffs because of a competent few months of hockey is poor planning. A run of bad goaltending at the wrong time can quickly sink a team and we need a better relief option than Pickard.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828879 is a reply to message #828877 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 14:51

For sure it’s something amazing. Which is why all this talk of the Oilers pivoting and now prioritizing forward help scares me. We have to expect some goaltending regression or worse yet injury, and the Oilers have to plan for this. Betting on a Pickard Skinner tandem in the playoffs because of a competent few months of hockey is poor planning. A run of bad goaltending at the wrong time can quickly sink a team and we need a better relief option than Pickard.

Because Vegas knew without a shadow of a doubt that career back up Hill would suddenly go all world and help win them the cup? They were so sure on Hill, they started Brossoit to end the season and through the playoffs until he got hurt against the Oilers and were forced to play Hill.

There is zero guarantee that any goalie they bring, assuming they could get one given the limited supply and the need by many teams, will play better than who they got. As Vegas proved, goaltending is a crap shoot and if you play good defense in front of a goalie, you can elevate an average goalie.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828881 is a reply to message #828879 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Vegas is the worst team you could pick to make your point.

If Brossoit didn’t work out, they had Hill. If Hill didn’t work out, they had Quick. They didn’t know who would work out but they made small bets on goalies who had a chance. They are precisely a team that wanted insurance in the net, and won a cup because of it.

So if Skinner loses a knee after the deadline you are cool with handing one of the last potential McDavid Draisaitl seasons to career AHL goalie Calvin Pickard?

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2024 16:20]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828883 is a reply to message #828881 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 16:18

Vegas is the worst team you could pick to make your point.

If Brossoit didn’t work out, they had Hill. If Hill didn’t work out, they had Quick. They didn’t know who would work out but they made small bets on goalies who had a chance. They are precisely a team that wanted insurance in the net, and won a cup because of it.

So if Skinner loses a knee after the deadline you are cool with handing one of the last potential McDavid Draisaitl seasons to career AHL goalie Calvin Pickard?

They got Rodrique in the minors lighting the world on fire. Could he do it? Not sure but he might.

I am not sure he can, but could Campbell get hot for a short stretch? Maybe, he's done it before.

Are we so sure Pickard can't do it? The Oilers are proving all they need is mediocre goaltending and they can win games. Is Pickard giving him average goaltending? Yes he is.

Name a team that is 4 or 5 deep for sure qualified NHL goalies? Most teams have 2 if they are lucky then a bunch of maybe's.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828887 is a reply to message #828883 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 15:38

Name a team that is 4 or 5 deep for sure qualified NHL goalies? Most teams have 2 if they are lucky then a bunch of maybe's.

Do you really want the Oilers to be like most teams, or do you want the Oilers to be the best team?

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828888 is a reply to message #828887 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 22:41

Do you really want the Oilers to be like most teams, or do you want the Oilers to be the best team?

That, and the Oilers have only "maybes". We've seen Skinner absolutely fold under the pressure of the playoffs when a team built a bit of a book on him. He was just dreadful last year and we won a round in spite of him. He's had a great streak here, but if you're running a professional sports team, you can't fall victim to recency bias. All we've seen from Stu is streaky play, and you get on the bad streak at the wrong time and it is fatal.

Pickard is 31, has 123 NHL games to his name and is right on his career average (.902 compared to .903 over the career). He's adequate at best. The Oilers have seen a playoff run go sideways on a goalie injury before, and we've seen the team win a Cup when you have a very capable backup who can step in. We don't have that right now.

Pickard is, really, a stop-gap at best. He's a minor leaguer. Jack Campbell isn't someone I ever want to see manning the crease for us again. Even the games he won in the playoffs last year he looked completely erratic, and gave no confidence. And even if he IS the goalie of the future, the Oilers wouldn't play a rookie goalie unless the three guys in front of him all got hurt. And even then they might try to get Ron Low to play a couple games first.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828892 is a reply to message #828888 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 23:59

That, and the Oilers have only "maybes". We've seen Skinner absolutely fold under the pressure of the playoffs when a team built a bit of a book on him. He was just dreadful last year and we won a round in spite of him. He's had a great streak here, but if you're running a professional sports team, you can't fall victim to recency bias. All we've seen from Stu is streaky play, and you get on the bad streak at the wrong time and it is fatal.

Pickard is 31, has 123 NHL games to his name and is right on his career average (.902 compared to .903 over the career). He's adequate at best. The Oilers have seen a playoff run go sideways on a goalie injury before, and we've seen the team win a Cup when you have a very capable backup who can step in. We don't have that right now.

Pickard is, really, a stop-gap at best. He's a minor leaguer. Jack Campbell isn't someone I ever want to see manning the crease for us again. Even the games he won in the playoffs last year he looked completely erratic, and gave no confidence. And even if he IS the goalie of the future, the Oilers wouldn't play a rookie goalie unless the three guys in front of him all got hurt. And even then they might try to get Ron Low to play a couple games first.

Every pundit is saying that we will acquiring an NHL goalie at the deadline. My concern is if you wait too long then you are stuck with the leftovers, and even the main course is shoddy at best. My list would be short, Blackwood, Mrazek, Ingram or maybe Kahkonen or Forsberg? It is a tough place to make an upgrade on goaltending when the market is super thin.

MAF is likely not going to move and has publicly stated he wants to remain in Minny.
Elvis is expensive has term, a M-NTC and CBJ would need to take back Campbell.
Reimer and Allen are lateral moves and Allen is expensive.
Gibson (M-NTC) will be expensive, carries term and will want to start the majority of the games.
Saros is a pipe dream and it then what do you do about Skinner?
Vladar is sketchy and Calgary would be reluctant to move him at regular value.
Markstrom might be available next year.

It will be a tricky position to move on and I doubt Oilers fans will be happy with any move we make, including moving Campbell in a deal.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828896 is a reply to message #828887 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I want the Oilers to be the best team but I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own. I also don't believe like some people in here do, that all NHL GM's are dumb just dying to give players away for nothing and that fans know how to operate a team better because they read the blog of some 22 yr old college student that takes a bunch of stats classes and has developed a spreadsheet.

I ask myself, WHY would a team trade away a goalie. Even if that team is in a "rebuild" they still need a goalie to play. Rebuilding teams want to develop young players and ultimately get better and win games. But you can have lots of great young forwards and dmen but if your goalie sucks, you won't win. So even bad teams still need goaltending.

People in here listed Saros. His name was even brought up as a "pipe dream". In all seriousness, why the hell would the Preds trade Saros? Look at what he's helping their retooling team do right now. Who do they have behind him? They have a hot prospect that has 3 NHL games total. So you think the Preds will dump Saros and turn the reins over to a 21 yr old goalie with 3 NHL games? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Saros, let Askarov be the back up next season, play a bunch of games THEN if he looks like he can do it, give him the starters job?

Mrazek is having a decent year for a pretty poor Hawks team. I read they might resign him as they are doing that with some vets because they realize they need actual players to make a team around Bedard. So ask yourself, why would the Hawks want to dump their only goalie so their 18 yr old superstar can come back in a couple of weeks to a team with no goalie and get his ass kicked every night? With Mrazek, at least they are remotely competitive.

Gibson makes 6.4 mill and hasn't been good for years. No thanks, not at that number. Will the Ducks retain 50%, then get another team to retain 50% of the rest to make him cost what a back up should cost? I highly doubt it and what's the cost? Besides, we have a starter.

Mzerlikins makes 5.4 mill. The Oilers already have a starter and he said he doesn't want to go to a team to be a back up. NOPE.

Blackwood. I would like Blackwood. Price point isn't too bad. Numbers aren't horrific given how bad the team is. Again, why would they trade him? The Sharks still need a goalie too. Some games, he's the only reason they are even in the game at all. Plus he isn't old and doesn't make a lot of money. So what is the reason they would trade him other than if a team grossly overpays in assets to get him.

So I am all for getting a goalie with the idea that maybe he will be better than Pickard but who's the guy and what's the cost given the amount of teams that need a goalie, maybe worse than the Oilers because the Oilers look to at least have a decent starter in Skinner based on how he's played for most of this season and last year and the extremely limited supply there is?

Leafs need a goalie really badly.
Carolina needs a goalie really badly.
Devils need a goalie really badly.
Sabres need a goalie really badly.

These teams don't need back ups, they need starters. So what is the market going to be like for the handful of goalies that are maybe going to be available?

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828900 is a reply to message #828896 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 09:31

I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own.

Why? A reckless jab at people discussing ideas how to improve the Oilers. Comments like that set the tone for conflict. You appear to want people to accept you, but in the same breath you push people away. You are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma my friend. I cannot figure you out to save my life.

Anywho ...

As for Saros. If Nashville is falling out of the playoffs then expect a team like Carolina or Colorado who has the cap space to be very aggressive. Nashville may not have anything concrete between the pipes, but they are closing in on being stuck in the middle for years, much like the Flames. Nashville is looking for defensemen and Carolina's top 2 prospects fit the bill.

Gibson would be sought after, and his down years coincide with very poor Ducks teams. Who knows, they may even retain money.

Sabres are not making a move for a rental goalie when they are a a borderline top 5 lottery team. They may need to find Levi some help, but I think they are happy with Luukkonen as his partner.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828901 is a reply to message #828900 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30

I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own.

Why? A reckless jab at people discussing ideas how to improve the Oilers. Comments like that set the tone for conflict. You appear to want people to accept you, but in the same breath you push people away. You are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma my friend. I cannot figure you out to save my life.

Anywho ...

As for Saros. If Nashville is falling out of the playoffs then expect a team like Carolina or Colorado who has the cap space to be very aggressive. Nashville may not have anything concrete between the pipes, but they are closing in on being stuck in the middle for years, much like the Flames. Nashville is looking for defensemen and Carolina's top 2 prospects fit the bill.

Gibson would be sought after, and his down years coincide with very poor Ducks teams. Who knows, they may even retain money.

Sabres are not making a move for a rental goalie when they are a a borderline top 5 lottery team. They may need to find Levi some help, but I think they are happy with Luukkonen as his partner.

My comment isn't supposed to be a shot trying to pick a fight. But so much of the discussion in here ends up being about NHL GM's are stupid and if the Oilers weren't stupid themselves, they should take advantage. Go actually look at how many times a decent topic very quickly turns into a discussion about the supposed stupidty of NHL GM's or this GM is an ex player so he's dumb. Even this thread, Buffalo is stupid so trade with them. I actually come here to have a legit discussion but it will turn sideways virtually every time because they all within a couple of messages turn into why this GM is an idiot or the Oilers GM is an idiot because he made this trade 5 yrs ago, etc, etc. Someone like myself will try to discuss the chance of picking up player X and it will quickly turn into they can get him but they will be stupid and give up this and that because 3 yrs ago they traded this, then Campbell's contract, etc, etc. Seriously, go look.

Anyway, I don't expect things to change here so they are what they are.

For Saros, they already said he's not available. There is rumors out there they turned down I think it was 2 firsts at the draft. So even if they fall out of the playoffs near the deadline, why would they trade him? If you are like me and don't think all NHL GM's are dumb, they still need a goalie for the rest of the year and next year. Like I said, Askarov looks like a good prospect but he hasn't played. He's got 3 games in the NHL. They'd be turning the future of the Preds in goal to a 21 yr old with 3 games. I don't see that happening. That would be like the Oilers deciding Rodrigue is their starter right now. We'd all think the Oilers would be insane. The more likely move would be them trading Lankinen who's a UFA so they can give Askarov his back up spot and let him play and learn behind Saros and see if he can one day do the job. Is Lankinen of interest to you? I don't know much about him so I have no clue if he's an upgrade on what the Oilers have. He has a 3.12 and a .898 this year. Doesn't look to great to me.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828903 is a reply to message #828901 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 12:41 Go to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 11:07

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30

Anywho ...

Anyway, I don't expect things to change here so they are what they are.

Maybe not an intended shot, but the impact reads otherwise. Text tone is interrupted by the reader. Many comments on here do end up dumping on management and the past twenty years of trauma the fans have endured, but if you do not like that narrative then ignore it and move away from the stuff that gets your keyboard humming.

With all that being said, I am going to take my own advice and move forward with the discussion. I think the Oilers need a veteran goalie. I think we will get one, but will be seriously underwhelmed with the return. Not due to inept management, but due to the lack of available quality tenders.

Also Nashville appears to keep their cards close to their chest. No one saw the Ekholm trade coming and I would not rule out them moving Saros if they get something that blows their doors off. They have two years to make the deal so they not in a rush, but desperate times may garner the best return. Edmonton does not have the assets or the or the cap space.

As for Askarov. He has a better pedigree and has played very well in his few NHL starts. As prospects him and Rodrigue are not comparable, even though neither are proven. If the Oilers owned both prospects, Askorov would be pushing for the NHL backup job today even though Rodrigue could be the better long-term goalie (goalies are voodoo).

Lankinen is interesting, but is he any better than Pickard?

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828882 is a reply to message #828879 ]
Wed, 17 January 2024 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 15:47

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 14:51

Because Vegas knew without a shadow of a doubt that career back up Hill would suddenly go all world and help win them the cup? They were so sure on Hill, they started Brossoit to end the season and through the playoffs until he got hurt against the Oilers and were forced to play Hill.

There is zero guarantee that any goalie they bring, assuming they could get one given the limited supply and the need by many teams, will play better than who they got. As Vegas proved, goaltending is a crap shoot and if you play good defense in front of a goalie, you can elevate an average goalie.

Vegas had 6 goalies last year for exactly this reason. No, they didn't know Hill would win them the cup, but they knew they couldn't waste time with guys who wouldn't. The Oilers should bring in a 4th option because no one knows if any of Skinner, Pickard, or Rodrigues can do it.

On that note, Campbell has won his last two AHL games only giving up two goals in each. Who doesn't love a good redemption story?

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca