F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Phil Kemp
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Phil Kemp [message #828789]
Mon, 15 January 2024 10:22 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who knows that Phil Kemp played against Montreal (I said Detroit initially). They mentioned on the feed that he was playing. I saw him line up on the wing for one shift and then *poof" never heard or saw mention of him again.

What's the story on him? Why did they bring up a d-man from the A for one game and then only play him a couple of shifts on the wing? Did Knoblach lose a bet with his agent or something?

[Updated on: Tue, 16 January 2024 07:03]

Twitter: @AitchOil

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Phil Kemp [message #828791 is a reply to message #828789 ]
Mon, 15 January 2024 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Mon, 15 January 2024 10:22

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who knows that Phil Kemp played against Detroit. They mentioned on the Wings feed that he was playing. I saw him line up on the wing for one shift and then *poof" never heard or saw mention of him again.

What's the story on him? Why did they bring up a d-man from the A for one game and then only play him a couple of shifts on the wing? Did Knoblach lose a bet with his agent or something?

He was called up from the minors just to have an extra dman while being in the East on the road. If a dman got sick, you'd be down to 5 dman.

The only reason he got to play was because McLeod was sick and Gagner isn't quite ready.

Re: Phil Kemp [message #828792 is a reply to message #828789 ]
Mon, 15 January 2024 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who knows that Phil Kemp played against Detroit. They mentioned on the Wings feed that he was playing. I saw him line up on the wing for one shift and then *poof" never heard or saw mention of him again.

I think they wanted an extra D on the road trip just in case something happened because they wouldn't have time to fly someone from California. With McLeod sick and Gagner injured(?) Kemp got his game.

Now why they picked Kemp is anyone's guess.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Phil Kemp [message #828793 is a reply to message #828792 ]
Mon, 15 January 2024 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 January 2024 10:39

I think they wanted an extra D on the road trip just in case something happened because they wouldn't have time to fly someone from California. With McLeod sick and Gagner injured(?) Kemp got his game.

Because they want Broberg playing a ton not potentially sitting in the pressbox as a #7. Plus it's all about letting them make a little NHL money while maybe getting a look at them practice wise. Gleason got his time to make some NHL money, it was Kemp's time which compared to their AHL paycheck, can make a big difference to these guys financially. Kemp's AHL salary is 100K compared to 775K. Even getting 1 NHL paycheck is way more money than his AHL one.

Re: Phil Kemp [message #828794 is a reply to message #828793 ]
Mon, 15 January 2024 16:05 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 January 2024 11:13

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 January 2024 10:39

Because they want Broberg playing a ton not potentially sitting in the pressbox as a #7. Plus it's all about letting them make a little NHL money while maybe getting a look at them practice wise. Gleason got his time to make some NHL money, it was Kemp's time which compared to their AHL paycheck, can make a big difference to these guys financially. Kemp's AHL salary is 100K compared to 775K. Even getting 1 NHL paycheck is way more money than his AHL one.

I'm not a super fan of promoting people because it's their turn. I'd strongly prefer a merit based system, but the rest of it makes sense. I'd rather Broberg play a ton too in Bako, rather than two minutes over the weekend. I suppose it's small potatoes.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Previous Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca