Tue, 09 January 2024 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 January 2024 13:24

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 January 2024 12:49

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 08 January 2024 17:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 January 2024 19:06

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 08 January 2024 15:29

Rodrigue will require waivers next season. Is he over ripe enough yet?

Based on 12 starts?

Go look at Skinners career stats. In the year he got his first NHL start (20-21), he had 122 pro games between the ECHL and the AHL. He played in 31 AHL games and was 2.38 and a .914. Rodrigue has 65 total AHL games and another 15 in the ECHL. So way less pro starts than Skinner has before Skinner got his 1 game. Then the following year, when Smith got hurt, Skinner got into 13 games but also started in 35 where he posted 2.20 and .920. Then he was a full time NHLer. SO 157 pro games. Rodeigue has 80. So half.

I'd be stapling Campbell to the bench and playing Rodrigue a ton. I don't see a goalie coming before the deadline if it happens. There aren't a ton available to begin with so the price will be ridiculous plus there are way too many teams still in it thanks to the loser point for teams to sell off yet. So play Rodrigue a ton in the minors, then if you want to take a look, call him up closer to the deadline and see where he is at.

It wouldn't surprise me if Samsonov became available.
What could possibly go wrong with obtaining a Leafs cast-off for a goalie?

Samsonov already passed through waivers. Getting a bit of a Jack Campbell vibe from him lately. The press conference where he said the team had a better chance of winning because he won't be the one in the net was definitely a low point for that player. That would be a big risk right now.

Apparently Treliving now looking for a goalie as well, and offering up 6th round picks for several netminders - no takers though. Would be great if he showed Holland how cheaply middling goalies can be had though.

How about the feel good story of Jack Campbell returning to the Leafs to save the day?

I'd even retain 1.5M of Campbell's salary to do it and take Samsonov back.

I'd trade Jack Campbell for that 6th round pick!!!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828703 is a reply to message #827331 ]
Fri, 12 January 2024 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Elvis went public now saying he won’t be a back up in Columbus. Teams looking to move him now, is there something here?

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828704 is a reply to message #828703 ]
Fri, 12 January 2024 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 12 January 2024 12:16

Elvis went public now saying he won’t be a back up in Columbus. Teams looking to move him now, is there something here?

I don't think they need him. Skinner is looking like he is more than capable of being a starter. They could just use a slight upgrade on a back up.

I'd more be interested in going after Blackwood. He's barely under .900 on an absolutely brutal Sharks team, that's pretty good I'd say. He's got 1 more year at 2.35 mill.

I think a buyout of Campbell is coming. No one will trade for him, not unless you give them a ton of assets. The total cost for goaltending if Campbell was in the NHL is 7.6 mill for the next 2 years. (2.6 for Skinner, 5 mill for Campbell). A buyout for Campbell costs in cap space: 1.1, 2.3. 2.6, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5. So with Skinner as starter and the Campbell buyout, the cost is 3.7. If you add in Blackwood, the cost is 6.05 mill. So you are saving 1.55.

You then resign Rodrigue. Let him spent 1 more season in Bakersfield as the starter (just like Skinner did). He's only making 775K for NHL money and he's an RFA. Give him 850K (10% raise basically). Then after Blackwood's deal is up, hopefully Rodrigue is ready to be a back up. So your cost after Blackwood is off the books: 2.6 (Skinner) + 2.3 (Campbell moneny) + 850K = 5.75 mill. Which is 1.85 mill less than what you'd be paying if Campbell was on the team.

That's how you overcome the what I sadly think is the inevitable Campbell buyout.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828707 is a reply to message #828704 ]
Fri, 12 January 2024 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I really hope after many years of ugly buy outs that we don’t have to go this route but I could see it happening. I as well would welcome Blackwood here but Pickard seems to be showing he is a capable back up. I do like the idea of Merzlikens and Skinner as 1A 1B as well.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828712 is a reply to message #828707 ]
Sat, 13 January 2024 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 12 January 2024 19:58

I really hope after many years of ugly buy outs that we don’t have to go this route but I could see it happening. I as well would welcome Blackwood here but Pickard seems to be showing he is a capable back up. I do like the idea of Merzlikens and Skinner as 1A 1B as well.

I'm trending towards the same idea with Pickard. I'd like to see him get played a little more so we know, but he's been perfectly fine playing every third or fourth game. More importantly, so has Skinner. At this point I'm just look for options in case something happens. Right now we have an overplayed sophomore, an serviceable back up vet, an exciting AHLer, and a broken Campbell. A fifth option is probably a good idea.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828713 is a reply to message #828712 ]
Sat, 13 January 2024 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If we could somehow move Campbell to San Jose for Blackwood or to Columbus in some deal involving Elvis or even Arizona for Karel that would be amazing. I don’t see it happening without including a first and Broberg and probably another pick too.. still I’d much rather that than buying out Campbell over the next 6 years.. especially since our last terrible buyouts are almost all off the books. Then bolster the bottom 6 with signing Perry and that will make losing Kostin all better!

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828716 is a reply to message #828713 ]
Sat, 13 January 2024 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

2 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sat, 13 January 2024 11:56

and that will make losing Kostin all better!

Just looked at his stats, Yzerman may have chosen poorly on that one.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828778 is a reply to message #828716 ]
Sun, 14 January 2024 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 13 January 2024 13:01

I don’t know what’s happening, he either got the money and just said f it.
Or he really doesn’t click there like how he did he being a fan favourite.
I really loved what he brought to the team.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #828782 is a reply to message #828778 ]
Sun, 14 January 2024 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 14 January 2024 20:55

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 13 January 2024 13:01

I don’t know what’s happening, he either got the money and just said f it.
Or he really doesn’t click there like how he did he being a fan favourite.
I really loved what he brought to the team.

The underlying stats on Kostin last year were really bad. The guy shot the lights out at almost 20% so he was pretty ripe for regression. He rode a heater to a big contract. He's getting shots at almost exactly the same pace, just under one per game. They're just going in at a much lower clip.

If you look at where he was the year before, he had 9 points in 40 games with the Blues. He currently is sitting at 3 in 23, so a little down but that appears to be more in line with what can be expected of him.

He's also not getting a ton of ice time - just 8:40 per night. He wasn't getting spoonfed minutes in Edmonton, but an extra 1:23 per game is significant.

I don't like the odds that Holland understands shooting percentage anomalies or players riding hot streaks, so thank goodness that Kostin and his agent pushed for top dollar and kept us from making a serious mistake.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829255 is a reply to message #827331 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I am a little worried that this streak may seduce the management in to thinking the team as constructed is all we need. I really, REALLY hope that they find a back-up plan for goalie, and see if we can upgrade the RHD so that we don't have Ceci AND Desharnais in the lineup unless forced to by injuries.

Too easy to see the wins piling up and think no problem! Why mess with success? Especially when your GM is old, lacks creativity and is generally pretty lazy. But we haven't really addressed the areas where we fell flat last year, and there's too much danger to see those holes sink us again.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829259 is a reply to message #829255 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:33

I am a little worried that this streak may seduce the management in to thinking the team as constructed is all we need. I really, REALLY hope that they find a back-up plan for goalie, and see if we can upgrade the RHD so that we don't have Ceci AND Desharnais in the lineup unless forced to by injuries.

Too easy to see the wins piling up and think no problem! Why mess with success? Especially when your GM is old, lacks creativity and is generally pretty lazy. But we haven't really addressed the areas where we fell flat last year, and there's too much danger to see those holes sink us again.

You get your Skinner jersey yet?

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829272 is a reply to message #829255 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 09:33

I doubt this team stands pat in and around the trade deadline. I would not make any more than three significant moves to the roster. Possibly adding a 2nd line winger who can score, If possible an upgrade on the RD's 2nd or 3rd pair. Lastly a veteran back-up.

The Leafs seemed to upset the apple cart too much last trade deadline just to get past the Tampa Bay Lightning:

In -O'Reilly and Acciari
Out - 2023 1st round pick, 2023 3rd round pick, 2024 2nd round pick + 2 mid prospects and a 2024 4th round pick so Minny would retain 50% salary in the 3-way trade.

In - Schenn
Out - 2023 3rd Round pick

In - Gustafsson and Washington's 2023 1st round pick
Out - Sandin

In - McCabe, Lafferty a 2024 and 2025 conditional 5th round picks
Out - Borderline NHL'er 25 year old Joey Anderson and a top 10 protected 2025 1st round pick and a 2026 2nd round pick.

Edmonton does not need to change the make up of their roster, but if an upgrade is there then take it, and then add plenty of cheap veteran depth. 2006 re-visited. Give me some Roli (does not need to be 1A), Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom. Holland has proven during his time in Edmonton that he is not scared to pull the trigger on a deal, but for the love of McJesus please let these moves be smart.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829260 is a reply to message #827331 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

#ExtendSchwartz

Looks like issue was just Campbell all along. Bummer guy making everyone feel sorry for him, dragging our boy Skinner down with his sad face.

Maybe joking, maybe not, he has been a guy struggling with mental health throughout his career it sounds like. Teammates always love him, but maybe it's sympathy love.

Wonder if we ever call him back up. Personally hope we don't.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829295 is a reply to message #827331 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

When the dust settles and if he's suspended / has his contract terminated, should we go after Carter Hart?

Trial date isn't until 2026.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829299 is a reply to message #829295 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 15:48

When the dust settles and if he's suspended / has his contract terminated, should we go after Carter Hart?

No.

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829300 is a reply to message #829299 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 16:33

No.

I think you have to do it. The Schwartz is now strong in the org. What better way to achieve max Schwartz than to pick up his star pupil?

I may or may not be joking. I will let the power of the Schwartz decide what is best.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Gotta Get a Goalie! [message #829301 is a reply to message #829300 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 17:26 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 16:49

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 16:33

No.

I think you have to do it. The Schwartz is now strong in the org. What better way to achieve max Schwartz than to pick up his star pupil?

I may or may not be joking. I will let the power of the Schwartz decide what is best.

Maybe Schwartz should have been teaching an ethics course too...could have come in really handy for young Carter.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Holland’s Successor
Next Topic:Next Oilers GM
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca