This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825323]
Thu, 24 August 2023 15:10 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers-evan-bouchard-agree-t o-two-year-7-8-million-extension-1.1999448

Not exactly breaking news, but its now officially official.

I don't mind the bridge contract. Oilers have an awful history with offense first (offense only) defensemen. Might be best not to lock into a defensive dumpster fire for 8 years.

Oilers just over the cap now. Can just run with 22 man roster to stay cap compliant.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825326 is a reply to message #825323 ]
Thu, 24 August 2023 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ready for more Bouch Bombs

On defensive dumpsterfires. Ironically it's our 2 supposed defensive D chasing players 40 ft from the net for no reason that cost a combined 12.5M that almost single handedly ended our playoffs.

This team is absolutely desperate for D that can make plays so we aren't reliant on a few forwards to create every transition from our zone. We're all full of ones that endlessly retreat and are constantly in a defensive posture. We spice that up a bit with our supposed defensive guys just abandoning the net too. Wish we knew why that was happening.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 August 2023 17:35]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825334 is a reply to message #825326 ]
Fri, 25 August 2023 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think part of the defensive issues for the team are partly to do with several factors. Young, inexperienced dmen making some mistakes, dmen making mistakes or trying to do too much. I think the forwards share a lots of blame.

I have said it before, I think having 2 players as gifted as McD and Leon is a blessing and a curse. They can do things that the majority of NHLers can't ever do so they don't ever try. Sometimes McD and Leon make passes and try very risky things because sometimes they work but it puts the team especially dmen in bad spots. I also think some of the forwards in the past did not take their defensive zone responsibilities serious enough or cheated for offense. I also think their defensive system makes for break downs. According to Stauffer, they play man to man. So we often see Dmen chasing guys from behind the net all the way to the blueline because that's their man. This makes it so forwards have to backfill and when they don't do it or are late to their man, it leaves guys wide open. Stauffer keeps talking about playing more of a zone like Vegas did so since he is the mouth piece of the team, I wonder if we see that happen. It makes more sense to me to play a zone rather than relying on your players to have to play man to man which can work but also can lead to more breakdowns.

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825335 is a reply to message #825334 ]
Fri, 25 August 2023 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 August 2023 09:57

I think part of the defensive issues for the team are partly to do with several factors. Young, inexperienced dmen making some mistakes, dmen making mistakes or trying to do too much. I think the forwards share a lots of blame.

I have said it before, I think having 2 players as gifted as McD and Leon is a blessing and a curse. They can do things that the majority of NHLers can't ever do so they don't ever try. Sometimes McD and Leon make passes and try very risky things because sometimes they work but it puts the team especially dmen in bad spots. I also think some of the forwards in the past did not take their defensive zone responsibilities serious enough or cheated for offense. I also think their defensive system makes for break downs. According to Stauffer, they play man to man. So we often see Dmen chasing guys from behind the net all the way to the blueline because that's their man. This makes it so forwards have to backfill and when they don't do it or are late to their man, it leaves guys wide open. Stauffer keeps talking about playing more of a zone like Vegas did so since he is the mouth piece of the team, I wonder if we see that happen. It makes more sense to me to play a zone rather than relying on your players to have to play man to man which can work but also can lead to more breakdowns.

The man on man defense really gets me. I feel like that's some Dallas Eakins tier coaching if that's the direction being pushed. Especially when we run into situations of struggling goaltending. Maybe it works in the regular season, but Vegas very clearly adjusted their game to completely expose us.

That's the kind of stuff that makes you lose no matter what else goes well with your org. Make amazing trades, get a stacked lineup, have a generational talent. Cancel it all out by coaching a defense system that does not at all suit the players you have and let any good opponent you face be wide open 10 ft from your net to do whatever they please.

Vegas just kept collapsing and boxing us out from the slot. Worked pretty well, we still got loads of chances. We have players that create stuff no matter what is in front of them. Adin Hill would have been a Conn Smythe winner in a lot of years, which didn't help, but we were still able to score. We just gave up way too much for free to cancel out any good we were doing with this man on man defense.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 August 2023 10:07]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825337 is a reply to message #825335 ]
Fri, 25 August 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 August 2023 10:05

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 August 2023 09:57

The man on man defense really gets me. I feel like that's some Dallas Eakins tier coaching if that's the direction being pushed. Especially when we run into situations of struggling goaltending. Maybe it works in the regular season, but Vegas very clearly adjusted their game to completely expose us.

That's the kind of stuff that makes you lose no matter what else goes well with your org. Make amazing trades, get a stacked lineup, have a generational talent. Cancel it all out by coaching a defense system that does not at all suit the players you have and let any good opponent you face be wide open 10 ft from your net to do whatever they please.

Vegas just kept collapsing and boxing us out from the slot. Worked pretty well, we still got loads of chances. We have players that create stuff no matter what is in front of them. Adin Hill would have been a Conn Smythe winner in a lot of years, which didn't help, but we were still able to score. We just gave up way too much for free to cancel out any good we were doing with this man on man defense.

I think the Oilers have a pretty decent coaching staff so I have to think they will adjust. If the Oilers were made up of a bunch of hard grinding, defense first forwards who sell out all the time, then maybe I could see the man on man working but they don't have that. They have a bunch of high flying offensive guys so playing a system that doesn't require them to be so focused on being in the right spots, is probably best. Just have guys be in and area and make the other team have to get through a bunch of you vs just have to beat 1 guy.

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #825343 is a reply to message #825337 ]
Fri, 25 August 2023 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think that's a major failing of the coaching staff. The team needs to practice multiple defensive strategies during the season, so you can adjust based on what you're facing. Vegas was even talking about it the their post series pressers, they knew what Edm was going to do, so they went in and exploited it repeatedly because we never adapted.
Changing the strategy mid series or mid game, if we haven't practiced it, would have likely led to just as negative an outcome. You can't really fault the players (maybe only a handful of decisions on the ice) but when the game plan isn't working, one or two bad decisions don't lose you that series.
I like Woodcroft, and I'm hopeful he can learn and grow from the experience. Perhaps this is the difference between an NHL coach with 1.5 years of NHL experience vs a coach with 7 NHL seasons. The difference between AHL and NHL adjustments and preparation.

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #828171 is a reply to message #825323 ]
Sat, 16 December 2023 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

We have a top competitor in the shot comp at the all-star game

https://forums.hfboards.com/attachments/1702254030143-png.781334/

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #828461 is a reply to message #825323 ]
Sun, 31 December 2023 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Min 500 mins played 5v5 Bouch current stands:

#1 in Expected goals %
#1 in High danger chances %

Not just among D. All skaters, min 500 mins of 5v5 hockey. Min 400 mins (345 players), he's #1 and #6)

His PDO is still 0.963 thanks to abysmal goaltending in the first 1-2 months, but he's climbing back. I think he was under 0.9 before. Knob is riding him a lot. Many 23+ min games. Saw he played 29 mins tonight.

What was this org even doing, fixating on a turd like Connor Brown instead of figuring out how to extend the best D they have drafted since forever long term? This bridge will stand as probably top 3 of the worst things Holland did to the Oilers in his pitiful $25,000,000 tenure.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 December 2023 01:14]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers re-sign Evan Bouchard 2 yrs, $7.8 million [message #828650 is a reply to message #828461 ]
Wed, 10 January 2024 17:09 Go to previous message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 31 December 2023 04:09

Min 500 mins played 5v5 Bouch current stands:

#1 in Expected goals %
#1 in High danger chances %

Not just among D. All skaters, min 500 mins of 5v5 hockey. Min 400 mins (345 players), he's #1 and #6)

His PDO is still 0.963 thanks to abysmal goaltending in the first 1-2 months, but he's climbing back. I think he was under 0.9 before. Knob is riding him a lot. Many 23+ min games. Saw he played 29 mins tonight.

What was this org even doing, fixating on a turd like Connor Brown instead of figuring out how to extend the best D they have drafted since forever long term? This bridge will stand as probably top 3 of the worst things Holland did to the Oilers in his pitiful $25,000,000 tenure.

So assuming even more development over the course of this year and next, what’s the price tag on this guy’s next deal?

He’s definitely finishing top 10 in points for dmen, decent shot at top 3. Have to think best case it starts with a 9?

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #38)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #37)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca