This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827962]
Fri, 08 December 2023 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   81%
Minnesota to win:   19%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 24, 2023Edmonton 4 @ Minnesota 7Loss
Friday, December 8, 2023Minnesota 3 @ Edmonton 4Win
Friday, February 23, 2024Minnesota 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 6/4 Total: 10
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/7 Total: 14

2022-23 Regular Season
Thursday, December 1, 2022Edmonton 3 @ Minnesota 5Loss
Friday, December 9, 2022Minnesota 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Monday, December 12, 2022Edmonton 1 @ Minnesota 2Loss
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-2-0       Overall Record: 1-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/4 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/7 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827963 is a reply to message #827962 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Minnesota on a rare Vancouver-Edmonton back to back. Flower should get the start, which at this point is probably a good thing. Dude is getting old, just 5 games short of 1,000. This should be a winnable game, just don't poop the bed.

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827964 is a reply to message #827963 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 08 December 2023 09:19

Minnesota on a rare Vancouver-Edmonton back to back. Flower should get the start, which at this point is probably a good thing. Dude is getting old, just 5 games short of 1,000. This should be a winnable game, just don't poop the bed.

Minny got shut out last night and looked asleep at the switch for much of the game apparently. Hopefully they're tired and battered and we can lay the boots to them. We do have a big loss to avenge to these guys from earlier in the year too - the 7-4 beat-down where Hartman had his 5 point night. I think that's still almost half of his entire season total.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827967 is a reply to message #827962 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Having reflected upon the last 5 games I'm happy to report I'm upgrading my views on the Oilers from awful to probably aren't awful. I still think they have some deep flaws on the ice (and in the organization) but the fact is they've won 8 of 11 and looked decidedly not awful for the vast majority of those games. I can still quibble about some things, but I have very few specific items to complain about right now. It makes Oilfans and OilersX a little less fun, but the hockey games are better.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827968 is a reply to message #827967 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Time to kick ass

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827969 is a reply to message #827967 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 08 December 2023 16:04

Having reflected upon the last 5 games I'm happy to report I'm upgrading my views on the Oilers from awful to probably aren't awful. I still think they have some deep flaws on the ice (and in the organization) but the fact is they've won 8 of 11 and looked decidedly not awful for the vast majority of those games. I can still quibble about some things, but I have very few specific items to complain about right now. It makes Oilfans and OilersX a little less fun, but the hockey games are better.

I believe I predicted this prior to Woody's dismissal. Said they're outplaying teams many of these nights, so even a stretch of not awful goaltending and they probably get a good winning streak or two.

I have never believed this isn't a playoff team - just think A) the firing of the coach wasn't super impactful - this would have happened regardless and B) that as built, we can't win the Cup. They need a goddamn goalie. Skinner doing better is nice to see, but he isn't the answer.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827970 is a reply to message #827969 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 December 2023 17:06

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 08 December 2023 16:04

I believe I predicted this prior to Woody's dismissal. Said they're outplaying teams many of these nights, so even a stretch of not awful goaltending and they probably get a good winning streak or two.

I have never believed this isn't a playoff team - just think A) the firing of the coach wasn't super impactful - this would have happened regardless and B) that as built, we can't win the Cup. They need a goddamn goalie. Skinner doing better is nice to see, but he isn't the answer.

I think your prediction wasn’t a reach and many fans believed the same thing.

On the bright side the firing has been good for Manson. He’s back home with his family celebrating his first Christmas since his wife passed.

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827971 is a reply to message #827969 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

It's hard to evaluate a team when they are not only allowing endless golden chances against on the rush, but also the goalie is letting them in almost every time. Just skews all the stats. Teams that know amazing chances will be given up by totally inept defending, they will start to wait for them. And if you're constantly chasing, you're always bring score effects into play to make yourselves look better possession wise.

I think Woody was flailing hard after Cassidy spanked him. The weird new system announcement, all our players looking completely lost in their own end. Woody and the gang never really recovered. His fixation on getting players to obsess about all their mistakes watching videos didn't really seem to translate to much. We will never know how Woody would evolve though, maybe we will see on another team like McLellan right now, although Todd might keep getting his playoff spankings by opposing coaches. Todd is no stranger to great regular seasons and playoff collapses.

Maybe for the Oilers it's a coach bump, maybe goaltending, maybe luck regression, maybe it's players getting healthy, or maybe it's better systems being practiced. Most likely it's some of all of the above. I will say, I don't think we had the time for Woody to figure out how to not get outmaneuvered in the playoffs. I still can never let go of how ridiculous we looked playing "man on man" and then having to announce to the world our new "zone defense" this season. That's just clown show amateurish stuff. One of the easiest red flags you can get that a coaching staff is flailing. Of course now we're also betting on another NHL newbie.

A convincing win against Minny would be a pretty nice sign that this team has actually turned the corner.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 December 2023 18:57]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #827972 is a reply to message #827962 ]
Fri, 08 December 2023 19:04 Go to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

When I flipped to SN and seen Gene doing his schtick in Blue Jays uniform, I thought it went down..

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Previous Topic:GDT: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Next Topic:Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca