This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2023-24 Speculation ThreadPages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827792 is a reply to message #827710 ]
Wed, 29 November 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 28 November 2023 14:57

Would racist / transphobic language/texting be enough to cause termination?

I'm guessing either racial slurs or dick pics. If I had to choose one, I'm going to go with racial slurs on this one.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827715 is a reply to message #827699 ]
Tue, 28 November 2023 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 28 November 2023 13:42

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 November 2023 13:33

It’s wide open.

Doing drugs wouldn’t get your contract terminated. Offering it to young players probably would.

I don’t think we will find out at the presser, there is probably a lot of legalities to sort out before we have an idea.

Offering to anyone would be a criminal issue (I think??) and again, unless Perry flat out refused, he could just play the treatment card and still collect his pay.

Maybe he publicly stated how over rated a Chicago Dog is.....

A Chicago dog is like $18, isn't it? Has to be good.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827793 is a reply to message #827715 ]
Wed, 29 November 2023 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 28 November 2023 16:04

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 November 2023 13:33

It’s wide open.

Doing drugs wouldn’t get your contract terminated. Offering it to young players probably would.

I don’t think we will find out at the presser, there is probably a lot of legalities to sort out before we have an idea.

Offering to anyone would be a criminal issue (I think??) and again, unless Perry flat out refused, he could just play the treatment card and still collect his pay.

A Chicago dog is like $18, isn't it? Has to be good.

Meh, they're ok but highly over rated in my opinion. If they were so good, you'd see tomatoes slices and pickle spears on hotdogs all over the place.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827959 is a reply to message #827699 ]
Thu, 07 December 2023 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

That's a horrible thing to say. Also horribly wrong. fishing

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827886 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Kevin weeks says broberg is being stopped, that's going to be a disaster.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827887 is a reply to message #827886 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 11:27

Kevin weeks says broberg is being stopped, that's going to be a disaster.

Now on the 3rd set of coaches that have looked at Broberg and don't see a player that can help the team. So trading him is bad because....?

If you want to tell me picking him was bad, I 100% agree. But what good does keeping a player do for the team or the player when they are on the 3rd head coach and 3rd D coach that doesn't think he's useful.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827888 is a reply to message #827887 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Guess I should have clarified, it's the high livk turning into nothing that's the disaster

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827890 is a reply to message #827888 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If Broberg is on the block, it's pretty obvious Holland isn't in charge anymore. Holland thought pretty highly of him and kept him over others.

I am deferring to the new guys in charge on this that use analytics, especially what Parkatti would say. He's followed the Oilers. I am sure he's got numbers on Broberg. If he thinks Broberg is a player, then I doubt they would be cool to give him up.

I'd be using Broberg to bring in a forward that can play in their bottom 6 and change up the mix. There is way too much of the same in the bottom 6.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 December 2023 14:08]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827892 is a reply to message #827890 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Whether this is a Holland directive or not, the problem is he still has influence.

If he is taking phone calls, if he is at meetings, if he is talking to the owner, if he has inputs on hiring…all of that is a problem because he’s not a competent GM deserving of any voice whatsoever.

So I don’t really care if this is “Jackon’s” team like so many fans are telling me. Holland still is at every game up there in the box and that’s not a good thing for the Edmonton Oilers. I expect this team to have the best front office possible and win. They are more interested in protecting the feelings of Ken Holland, sending him off in the sunset, than winning.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827894 is a reply to message #827892 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 14:12

Whether this is a Holland directive or not, the problem is he still has influence.

If he is taking phone calls, if he is at meetings, if he is talking to the owner, if he has inputs on hiring…all of that is a problem because he’s not a competent GM deserving of any voice whatsoever.

So I don’t really care if this is “Jackon’s” team like so many fans are telling me. Holland still is at every game up there in the box and that’s not a good thing for the Edmonton Oilers. I expect this team to have the best front office possible and win. They are more interested in protecting the feelings of Ken Holland, sending him off in the sunset, than winning.

Oilers aren’t even actually shopping him from the sounds of it. They’ve off-loaded that to his agent. Broberg, frustrated by not playing (while the Oilers have a giant AHLer skating in his stead), has asked for a deal and the Oilers have told him he’s free to help find a buyer but that they don’t want a draft pick back - as per Seravalli). Miserable scouting, miserable development and miserable asset management by the Oilers. He was drafted in 2022 so I wouldn’t be in a rush to declare him a bust as some appear to be. The organization clearly values the right/left even split and the size of Desharnais more, even though his game has some massive warts to it. I would argue that Broberg has the much, much higher ceiling but c’est la vie. Worth noting, telling the agent to go find them a deal often doesn’t result in any deals being done.

Probably worth pointing out again that Zegras, Caufield and Boldy were all on the board at the time Holland made a stretch pick to get his new Lidstrom…seriously, what an unmitigated disaster Holland has been.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827895 is a reply to message #827890 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 12:59

If Broberg is on the block, it's pretty obvious Holland isn't in charge anymore. Holland thought pretty highly of him and kept him over others.

I am deferring to the new guys in charge on this that use analytics, especially what Parkatti would say. He's followed the Oilers. I am sure he's got numbers on Broberg. If he thinks Broberg is a player, then I doubt they would be cool to give him up.

I'd be using Broberg to bring in a forward that can play in their bottom 6 and change up the mix. There is way too much of the same in the bottom 6.

What numbers? The kid has hardly played.. any data set they have to evaluate is very sparse, and trends contained within it are like trying to find your way on a foggy London street at closing time.

Oilers really screwed with his development.. should have spent more time in the AHL to learn how to play defense in a league full of hairy assed men.. he only played a total of 42 games in Bako (half a season).. rest was up in Oiler-ville "practicing" for the majority of it.. that being said he's only been in North America two years.. too early to give up on an 8th overall, big 6'4" elite skating defensman.. kid is only 22.. those prospects are like gold in the NHL..

If Oilers do trade him.. it better bring back high value.

Desharnais couldn't even do crossovers to his right at that age.. sometimes still can't ;)

Debacle.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827897 is a reply to message #827895 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 14:47

What numbers? The kid has hardly played.. any data set they have to evaluate is very sparse, and trends contained within it are like trying to find your way on a foggy London street at closing time.

Oilers really screwed with his development.. should have spent more time in the AHL to learn how to play defense in a league full of hairy assed men.. he only played a total of 42 games in Bako (half a season).. rest was up in Oiler-ville "practicing" for the majority of it.. that being said he's only been in North America two years.. too early to give up on an 8th overall, big 6'4" elite skating defensman.. kid is only 22.. those prospects are like gold in the NHL..

Desharnais couldn't even do crossovers to his right at that age.. sometimes still can't ;)

Debacle.

Go look at social media and you will see people listing off Broberg's "numbers" and why he should play. So I am sure there is some data on him.

To me, he looks like a future Kulak. He has the size and great skating to be a top 4, big minute dman but he only moves the puck just OK, not great. He can rush the puck if he wants too but doesn't seem to want to do it much. He doesn't seem to have a lot of offensive instincts because doesn't put up big points even in lower levels. I could see him turning into a decent #5 like Kulak is due to his skating, who could play in your top 4, for a few games if needed but will probably leaving you wanting more. He probably needs a few more years of development before he becomes a full time NHLer, if he does.

The damning thing for me is Woody/Manson had Broberg in Baker for several years so he would know what he could do and when he came up to the NHL, for whatever reason, he didn't want to play him much. He didn't play him much last year and when the Oilers defense was a joke this year, he still didn't play him. It's not like the Oilers defense is loaded with All Stars. Knoblauch has come in, he doesn't know the player but obviously nothing jumped off the page that made him want to play him. Coffey has been around the team for a while and watched him and obviously he hasn't seen anything that says he should play over someone either.

So if they can find a trade partner that brings in an asset that helps the Oilers, I would do it but if they don't send him to the minors.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827901 is a reply to message #827897 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 14:57

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 05 December 2023 14:47

Debacle.

Go look at social media and you will see people listing off Broberg's "numbers" and why he should play. So I am sure there is some data on him.

To me, he looks like a future Kulak. He has the size and great skating to be a top 4, big minute dman but he only moves the puck just OK, not great. He can rush the puck if he wants too but doesn't seem to want to do it much. He doesn't seem to have a lot of offensive instincts because doesn't put up big points even in lower levels. I could see him turning into a decent #5 like Kulak is due to his skating, who could play in your top 4, for a few games if needed but will probably leaving you wanting more. He probably needs a few more years of development before he becomes a full time NHLer, if he does.

The damning thing for me is Woody/Manson had Broberg in Baker for several years so he would know what he could do and when he came up to the NHL, for whatever reason, he didn't want to play him much. He didn't play him much last year and when the Oilers defense was a joke this year, he still didn't play him. It's not like the Oilers defense is loaded with All Stars. Knoblauch has come in, he doesn't know the player but obviously nothing jumped off the page that made him want to play him. Coffey has been around the team for a while and watched him and obviously he hasn't seen anything that says he should play over someone either.

So if they can find a trade partner that brings in an asset that helps the Oilers, I would do it but if they don't send him to the minors.

They had Broberg in Bako for a max. of 38 games.. mostly likely a lot less.. this is Broberg's 1st season in North America, and the season Woodcroft took over from Tipper in 2022

Below is Broberg's 2021/2022 season transactions (from CF).. Woodcroft was only in Bako for first half of the season.. some are paper transactions but still .. kid was (and has been) in the Twilight Zone for quite a while..

The more I look at how he was handled I realize this could be another Petry give away, except Petry was going UFA and his next contract after leaving was $5.5M.. not same with Broberg.. he's still on ELC and then RFA.. no pressure to deal him at this time.. too high risk he turns into something good and all you get is a case of beer that's past expiry.

May 17, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

May 13, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

May 12, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

May 9, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

May 6, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

May 3, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

May 1, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Apr. 29, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Apr. 27, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Mar. 16, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Mar. 5, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Mar. 1, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Feb. 11, 2022	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Jan. 1, 2022	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Dec. 28, 2021	Philip Broberg	Taxi Squad 

Dec. 26, 2021	Philip Broberg	Emergency Loan Recall

Dec. 14, 2021	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Dec. 11, 2021	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Dec. 9, 2021	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Nov. 20, 2021	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Oct. 13, 2021	Philip Broberg	Minors 

Oct. 11, 2021	Philip Broberg	NHL 

Oct. 3, 2021	Philip Broberg	Minors 

[Updated on: Tue, 05 December 2023 16:56]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827902 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Tue, 05 December 2023 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Ken Holland says he has NOT granted permission for Darrin Ferris to shop for a Broberg trade.

Holland - "I have not granted permission to Derrin to shop Broberg"

Ferris response

"This matter reflects both my and my client's frustration with the Oilers.... /
"...I'm actively collaborating with Ken to address and resolve the issue privately."

Clearly there are major issues here between this 1st rnd pick and the organization. They have spoken multiple times in recent days, things seem to have boiled over with today's development.

This org is weird.

Also nice to see ppl that were crapping all over Jesse since he was 20, and trying to boot him off the team, are going to bat so much for this 22 year old that looks completely lost in the NHL still and giving him unlimited excuses for his development, even though it's perfectly matching his draft year concerns. Lots of mirrored circumstances though, looks like Broberg and his agent are blaming the org to some degree for his development. Less bone spurs in the hips though.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 December 2023 18:51]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827907 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Wed, 06 December 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This situation with Broberg will be a big test for Jackson, if he winds up dumping Broberg for peanuts, when there is no immediate need to do it, and at Broberg's lowest sell value, then he'll rank up there with Chiarelli in my view.

Oilers have no legit D prospects at the moment, left or right, in Bako.. one injury away from having to move up Desharnais against tougher comp.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827917 is a reply to message #827907 ]
Wed, 06 December 2023 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 06 December 2023 11:29

This situation with Broberg will be a big test for Jackson, if he winds up dumping Broberg for peanuts, when there is no immediate need to do it, and at Broberg's lowest sell value, then he'll rank up there with Chiarelli in my view.

Oilers have no legit D prospects at the moment, left or right, in Bako.. one injury away from having to move up Desharnais against tougher comp.

Meanwhile, Kesselring looking good in Arizona early.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #827919 is a reply to message #827907 ]
Wed, 06 December 2023 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 06 December 2023 11:29

On the flip side. You can also hold on to a player too long and him end up being worth nothing. See JP. After his ELC, clearly things weren't going well but they held on to him, let him go to Finland, then let him come back and he ended up being worthless. If they have of dumped him after the ELC, you don't get 4th overall value but you probably get something of value.

In Broberg, they have a big dman who can skate but is sputtering right now. But due to his size and skating, I bet they could get something for him from a team thinking a change of scenery is what he needs. Wait another year or so and if he doesn't improve, he will be worth less.

It's a tricky situation.

The question I would like answered is why didn't Woody/Manson play him? If he is good and ready, the guys who coached him I think since he came over to North America should be the ones of all people to know what he can do. So when the team was going off the rails and the defense in shambles, why didn't they play him if he's good just to if anything try to save their jobs? I am sure Woody/Manson were feeling the pressure before they got fired so why not put him in?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 December 2023 16:52]

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828042 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Sun, 10 December 2023 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jordan Tootoo has a book. Here is what he wrote about his personal LTIR scam

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBB7LMcXQAABsKh?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828043 is a reply to message #828042 ]
Mon, 11 December 2023 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I wouldn't want to be in Rockford either.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828061 is a reply to message #828043 ]
Tue, 12 December 2023 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 December 2023 09:07

Rockford is a hole. Was back there last summer, and yeesh, hasn't changed since the 90's. Maybe Gary is worse, but not by much.

In the 90's, when Madison was rated the best city in America to live, Rockford was dead last on the same list. Only 60ish miles apart, but much further in reality.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828064 is a reply to message #828061 ]
Tue, 12 December 2023 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Tue, 12 December 2023 11:44

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 December 2023 09:07

Rockford is a hole. Was back there last summer, and yeesh, hasn't changed since the 90's. Maybe Gary is worse, but not by much.

In the 90's, when Madison was rated the best city in America to live, Rockford was dead last on the same list. Only 60ish miles apart, but much further in reality.

But what if somebody was paying you $750,000 to do so? Tootoo should know that demotion might be a possibility if you sign as the 12th or 13th forward. The Hawks followed through with their contractual obligations, but he thinks he's too good to follow through with his, so he forces them to cheat the system? Rockford is so close to Chicago, you could probably just commute every day anyway. That anecdote tells you everything you need to know about Tootoo's charactor.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828065 is a reply to message #828064 ]
Tue, 12 December 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It's not uncommon for recently retired players to get surgeries right after they are done. I am sure there are lots of guys who just deal with things or get continuing rehab on lingering injuries while they are playing so it's not hard to get diagnosed with something that can put you on LTIR.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828067 is a reply to message #828065 ]
Tue, 12 December 2023 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Or as Adam said, we could just put a bullet in our problem icon_biggrin

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828648 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Wed, 10 January 2024 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Hey Corey Perry is officially on the market again. Edmonton is the place the help players get their reputation rebuilt right?

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828649 is a reply to message #828648 ]
Wed, 10 January 2024 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd want them to find out what he did but as long as it's not something illegal, I'd have him on the Oilers playing right wing on the 4th line all day. He had 9 pts in 16 games that's pretty darn good production.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828653 is a reply to message #828649 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 January 2024 16:11

I'd want them to find out what he did but as long as it's not something illegal, I'd have him on the Oilers playing right wing on the 4th line all day. He had 9 pts in 16 games that's pretty darn good production.

Been established it wasn't illegal. I'd be all over taking Perry at league minimum. It worked extremely well with Kane.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828656 is a reply to message #828653 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Thu, 11 January 2024 08:50

Been established it wasn't illegal. I'd be all over taking Perry at league minimum. It worked extremely well with Kane.

I'm not sure that it is a good look to continue to be the team willing to accumulate all the dirtbags. I'm sure Bobby Nicholson has set up a good slush fund for the team, but at some point character actually matters.

Worth noting, Kane has not been very good this year. He's so ambivalent about defence, and hasn't been producing offence at the same level. He's a net negative to both Draisaitl and McDavid compared with other wingers. I am glad he hasn't beat up any more women though.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828657 is a reply to message #828656 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 January 2024 10:13

I'm not sure that it is a good look to continue to be the team willing to accumulate all the dirtbags. I'm sure Bobby Nicholson has set up a good slush fund for the team, but at some point character actually matters.

Worth noting, Kane has not been very good this year. He's so ambivalent about defence, and hasn't been producing offence at the same level. He's a net negative to both Draisaitl and McDavid compared with other wingers. I am glad he hasn't beat up any more women though.

I really worry about Kane's effort level. He's working on the 3rd time now of making a team regret giving him a long term deal. I wouldn't worry about Perry though, he is very passionate about being as annoying as possible at all times.

I personally think there is no greater embarrassment than wasting McDavid's prime, so I'd be fine bringing Perry in. Think he is still a very useful player. Barely anyone will remember us adding Perry. They will remember forever the shame of our org wasting McDavid.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828660 is a reply to message #828656 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

He's doing pretty good for the 3rd line with minimal PP time. Still on pace for 30 goals and 55 points. That's his career average while playing the least he has per game since his rookie year. I honestly don't understand why he's not playing with Drai instead of Foegele.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828664 is a reply to message #828660 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 11 January 2024 10:43

He's doing pretty good for the 3rd line with minimal PP time. Still on pace for 30 goals and 55 points. That's his career average while playing the least he has per game since his rookie year. I honestly don't understand why he's not playing with Drai instead of Foegele.

It's because he drags Draisaitl down. Leon's less productive with Kane as a linemate, and the line is more likely to surrender more goals than they score when he plays there - over a significant sample size too.

Since McLeod and Foegele were elevated, Draisaitl's line has been MUCH more productive. And Derek Ryan seems strong enough defensively that Kane's lack of interest in the defensive zone hasn't been as much of a problem (although he's still not adding much at ES).

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828658 is a reply to message #828653 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gregor was talking about it yesterday and from what he has been told from "sources" take it for what it's worth, nothing illegal. He seemed to elude it was repeated drunken advances towards someone. Whether that's true or not, who knows but Perry did talk about his alcohol problem so clearly he did something when he was drunk.

I'm not a person who will get on his moral high horse and decide he shouldn't be allowed to play here. As long as it's not illegal, I'd have no problem with him being here. If he was drunk a bunch of times trying to get with some female exec over and over again and that's what got him fired, while it's something I wouldn't do, doesn't mean he shouldn't work again over it. That's a problem that he and his wife has to deal with.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828651 is a reply to message #828648 ]
Wed, 10 January 2024 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 10 January 2024 16:08

Hey Corey Perry is officially on the market again. Edmonton is the place the help players get their reputation rebuilt right?

Would love to see Perry come back to the place where he should have started his career. Perfect fit for the rest of the year and playoffs and they could probably get him for league min.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828659 is a reply to message #828651 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Can someone explain to me why Konecny keeps getting listed as a target for the Oilers?

Would I like him? Hell yes I would. In 41 games, 21g, 42 pts, on pace for 42g 74 pts. Only 26. Skates decent, very competitive, aggressive, can play on both special teams, right shot. Signed for next season as well making only 5.5 mill. He had 31 goals and 61 pts in 60 games last year so his numbers this year aren't a fluke. Looks like an awesome player.

I live in the real world. Why on earth would the Flyers want to trade a player like that? Those are the types of players you keep.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828663 is a reply to message #828659 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 January 2024 10:39

Can someone explain to me why Konecny keeps getting listed as a target for the Oilers?

Would I like him? Hell yes I would. In 41 games, 21g, 42 pts, on pace for 42g 74 pts. Only 26. Skates decent, very competitive, aggressive, can play on both special teams, right shot. Signed for next season as well making only 5.5 mill. He had 31 goals and 61 pts in 60 games last year so his numbers this year aren't a fluke. Looks like an awesome player.

I live in the real world. Why on earth would the Flyers want to trade a player like that? Those are the types of players you keep.

There's a lot going wrong with the Flyers lately and they've had significant turnover. They just gave up a young prospect who asked for a trade before he even left college due to some kind of negative interactions with the team. They have cycled through a bunch of young guys on defence - Gostisbehere, DeAngelo, Provorov - and there's lots of rumours that they've been looking to move Carter Hart.

They also have a coach who tends to wear thin on players after a while and has been known to lead to some trade requests in some of his previous stops.

I struggle to think how we manage to acquire Konecny though. He's a $5.5MM cap hit this year and next and we have virtually no cap space and still need to get a real goalie. If you could convince them to take, say, Kane and a pick or prospect, then maybe but the Flyers would be crazy to do that.

Konecny would be an interesting guy to have here. He's a bit of a rat on the ice. Plays right near the line a lot of the time, and he's a guy who's awfully easy to hate. We haven't had anyone quite like him in a long time. It would be an interesting element to add - especially with his ability to also put up points.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828665 is a reply to message #828663 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't think there is a chance in hell the Flyers would trade him, not unless you offered them such a ridiculous package, they can't say no too. The bulk of the young players they moved on from had various issues, either on ice or offside. I think it's more twitter GM's comes up with pie in the sky players they think the Oilers should get so when they don't, they have something to complain about.

The Sens are having a hard time. I should put out there the Oilers need to get Brady Tkachuk.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828669 is a reply to message #828665 ]
Thu, 11 January 2024 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 January 2024 12:07

I don't think there is a chance in hell the Flyers would trade him, not unless you offered them such a ridiculous package, they can't say no too. The bulk of the young players they moved on from had various issues, either on ice or offside. I think it's more twitter GM's comes up with pie in the sky players they think the Oilers should get so when they don't, they have something to complain about.

The Sens are having a hard time. I should put out there the Oilers need to get Brady Tkachuk.

Did Provorov have an issue? He's not a fan of rainbows, but do we believe the Flyers care about that?

I think Gostisbehere and DeAngelo are just not rugged players and Flyers fans are like Oilers fans in that they hate defencemen who aren't meanies.

It is quite possible that some of the factors behind others leaving makes them make a decision on Konecny. Remember, their GM is another ex-hockey player with a really light resume. It's absolutely possible to see him thinking that a 5'10 80 point player is worth the same as a 6'3 55 point player especially if some future stuff was thrown in. It would be a little ironic of course, given the Gratton/Briere trade was a ridiculously dumb trade along that same vein.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828696 is a reply to message #828669 ]
Fri, 12 January 2024 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sorry, I need more than the tired argument that gets used a lot in here that fans are smart and GM's are dumb.

If Kocency played a super soft, never go to the net or into the corners style then maybe I could buy a tiny part of that argument but he doesn't. He's aggressive. Plus he's not Yamo small. He's 5'10, 192 according to the Flyers website. That's not that bad.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828710 is a reply to message #828696 ]
Sat, 13 January 2024 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Stranger things have happened, but I doubt they move him. Philly is in a weird situation and if they keep him then they must believe that Michkov is the answer. If the gamble fails then the Flyers are stuck in purgatory. Too good to be bad, too bad to be good.

Not picking a side, but having an inexperienced GM doesn’t means he’s dumb, but it usually means there will be some learning lessons in his first few seasons. Briere will likely lose a few trades and make some questionable decisions along the way.

I guess that could probably said for all GM’s though. None are infallible.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #828717 is a reply to message #828696 ]
Sat, 13 January 2024 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 January 2024 08:21

Sorry, I need more than the tired argument that gets used a lot in here that fans are smart and GM's are dumb.

If Kocency played a super soft, never go to the net or into the corners style then maybe I could buy a tiny part of that argument but he doesn't. He's aggressive. Plus he's not Yamo small. He's 5'10, 192 according to the Flyers website. That's not that bad.

Oh most fans aren’t smart either. But nhl players tend to make terrible general managers and they can absolutely be exploited if you’re one of the few teams who decides to get a professional manager instead.

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829008 is a reply to message #824423 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Corey Perry incoming

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2023-24 Speculation Thread [message #829009 is a reply to message #829008 ]
Sun, 21 January 2024 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 January 2024 11:04

Corey Perry incoming

Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes. I’ve also been lots of traction on sites saying a deal is close to being finalized. Sounds like a solid addition. See ya later Erne.

Pages (11): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Toronto - Hot take
Next Topic:Holland’s Successor
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca