This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827838]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 75%
Winnipeg to win: 25%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827843 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Looked like the team was going to have a game stolen from them before blind luck took a hand. Good stuff.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827844 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Nice win. Grinded that one out. Helly looking unbeatable but kept pushing and got him. Drai with a goal from his favorite spot has been a rare sight this year.

Unfortunately, now a week off with a risk of the team going cold, just as they were getting hot.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827845 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Most of this season's designated scapegoats had good to great games tonight.
Skinner, Nurse and Bouchard all played really well.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827846 is a reply to message #827845 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 30 November 2023 20:45

Boo Ceci. And Connor Brown :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827850 is a reply to message #827845 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 30 November 2023 20:45

...it pains me, but I would add McLeod in that group as well. icon_rolleyes

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827847 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I picked this up about 5 min into the 1st, didn't think they finished the 1st that well, but they kept at it and finally broke through in the 3rd.

That fricken Kyle Connor, always seems to get in spots to score goals. Had pretty much all of Wpgs chances.

Skinner outplayed Hellebuyck, who was on the way to what looked like a shutout until he let in a lousy goal to Nurse. By that time, the Jets didn't have any momentum and it felt inevitable for the Oilers. Nice to see McLeod get the EN goal. I'd say a pretty decent night for the Edmonton D.

Huge win for the Oilers to win a low scoring game. Winnipeg is an upper middle team with a top 4 league goaltender, and good to beat them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827851 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Knock on wood, but it feels like this team is turning a corner. Tough home stretch coming up, but with some rest and a bit more practice we may be on to something.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827853 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Thu, 30 November 2023 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Damn it feels great to have the playoffs in our reach.
Weird tho seeing arizona ranked so high in the standings lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827854 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Fri, 01 December 2023 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McLeod had a good game.. way more engaged .. and consistently engaged ..I said he might need a hypnotist to snap him out of the psychosis of his poor playing habits.... didn't realize hypnosis was in Coffey's tool kit ! :)

Whatever Coffey said to him yesterday at the optional practice seemed to click a few tumblers into place inside #71's head and unlocked some smarter play.

Oilers didn't give up as many grade A chances as was their habit.. and especially out numbered breaks.. team is playing way tighter/smarter all over the ice.. noticeable improvement.. and against two pretty sound teams in Vegas and Winni.. Knobby, Stuart, Coffey might deserve some credit.. too early .. ? icon_smile

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2023 01:29]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827855 is a reply to message #827854 ]
Fri, 01 December 2023 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

4 in a row! This feels good !

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827856 is a reply to message #827855 ]
Fri, 01 December 2023 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Not seen the whole game, but I'm sure I heard Jack in the highlights say this is our first come from behind win of the season. This run may or may not have happened without a coaching change, but it can be said we've had a new coach bounce.

Negative 5 goal difference is something I was a bit shocked with as well, considering how bad our netminding and D has been this year, to be so close to parity and now only 3 games below .500. We may not have been the hottest team in the league at the start, but it's where we end up and how we play post season, and if we've seen out worse then things may not be as bad as they seemed a week or two ago.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827858 is a reply to message #827856 ]
Fri, 01 December 2023 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Leia wrote on Fri, 01 December 2023 05:17

Not seen the whole game, but I'm sure I heard Jack in the highlights say this is our first come from behind win of the season. This run may or may not have happened without a coaching change, but it can be said we've had a new coach bounce.

Negative 5 goal difference is something I was a bit shocked with as well, considering how bad our netminding and D has been this year, to be so close to parity and now only 3 games below .500. We may not have been the hottest team in the league at the start, but it's where we end up and how we play post season, and if we've seen out worse then things may not be as bad as they seemed a week or two ago.

I am not convinced them playing better would have happened if there wasn't a coaching change.

The PK is way better. It wasn't very good when Tippett was here, it wasn't very good under Woody, it's been great since the coaching change. I believe they are using most of the same guys so whatever they were doing before almost 2 years wasn't working anywhere close to what they are doing now. I think Mark Stuart took over the PK from Manson and it's night and day better.

The play of Nurse has been outstanding. I've always felt he takes WAY too much crap. I thought he was decent from the start of the season but again, would have a big mistake which people focused on. My opinion has always been he tries to do too much because he cares so much. He gets flying around trying to do everything and he gets in trouble. Since the coaching change, he's calmed down, not forcing things, focused on his job and has been outstanding.

I think the whole D core has been better since the change. Probably part of it was guys are playing better but I think their approach is better.

As a team, they are playing WAY better defense. Forwards are coming back consistently and it's paying off. Last nights game was a great example. Down 1-0 in a game they were the superior team and were getting goalied by a great goalie. They weren't getting any calls from the ref. In the past, they would have pressed and tried to force the issue and that game, probably would have turned into 2 or 3-0. But they didn't. They continued to play their game, didn't force things, got some saves, finally got a break on the Nurse goal. FINALLY got a call, scored a timely PP goal and got a big win.

Maybe they could have done that with Woody but I have my doubts. The dramatic improvement of the PK and the defense stand out to me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22) [message #827864 is a reply to message #827838 ]
Fri, 01 December 2023 13:00 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Mr. Bandana @AdamsOnHockey
Ekholm and Bouchard are all the way back.

NHL ranks, defencemen, 100+ minutes played (out of 219 players)

Ekholm:

CF%: 2nd
XGF%: 10th
SCF%: 3rd
HDCF%: 43rd

Bouchard:

CF%: 5th
XGF%: 2nd
SCF%: 5th
HDCF%: 22nd

Trade Bouch, all he has is a shot. Just ignore how he's our most consistent passer on the back end to start transitions and no one else really comes close. But, defensive errors (with blinders on about how almost every Oilers D was a mess in our end the first couple months).

OFDO was almost gonna need to come out again. Nice that things have turned a bit to chill ppl out. Media still consistently terrible though of course.

Holland being terrible at the cap and not being able to extend Bouch long term will probably make the top 10 of his most damaging moves for the team long term.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2023 13:03]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca