This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827307]
Sat, 18 November 2023 16:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 42%
Tampa Bay to win: 58%
19 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827308 is a reply to message #827307 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Same old garbage on GA this game. Poor decisions, coverage, goaltending. Brutal. TB stole this game due to Oilers ineptitude, bottom line.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827309 is a reply to message #827308 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

We let that win go. Sigh. Next game.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827310 is a reply to message #827307 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Four goals, over 40 shots for, under 25 shots against. Trash netminding continues to be the biggest issue. A couple nice goals - that Stamkos PPG was a thing of beauty - but we just aren't getting nearly enough saves. The Jeannotte one-timer was very stoppable, as was the Glendenning tip.

Jack Campbell-level goaltending from Skinner. Here's hoping that the rumours of Saros discussions are true.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827311 is a reply to message #827310 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

That sucked

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827312 is a reply to message #827310 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 18 November 2023 16:49

Four goals, over 40 shots for, under 25 shots against. Trash netminding continues to be the biggest issue. A couple nice goals - that Stamkos PPG was a thing of beauty - but we just aren't getting nearly enough saves. The Jeannotte one-timer was very stoppable, as was the Glendenning tip.

Jack Campbell-level goaltending from Skinner. Here's hoping that the rumours of Saros discussions are true.

Woody never lost the room. The goalies did. With league average keeping, they’re a top third team. Without it, apparently, they’re bottom 5.

Does anyone else just find the team not likeable at all this year? Most nights, I don’t even really care if they win or lose and I sometimes find myself wanting them to lose to make Holland look worse and worse. Nearly 40 years with season seats and even in the DoD and the Eakins days, I never felt this much antipathy.

McDavid is a shadow of himself - I sadly am at the point of expecting to hear he wants a trade, and the narrative will be that he didn’t like them bringing in Jackson and Knoblauch because of how it reflects on him. He hasn’t put the team on his back for more than one shift ONCE this season. Really disappointed in him as a leader - had the team hyped for the season and is now just letting it get away. Not good.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827319 is a reply to message #827312 ]
Sun, 19 November 2023 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This is such a divisive team... re unlikable.

I love elements of this squad. I love the truculence, commitment and determination of some of our players. Hyman, Kane, Foegele, Holloway, Hamblin and Ryan make me want to cheer for this squad. Ceci has pulled himself together and he and Nurse sometime play some really solid games (Nurse will always be an albatross because of that contract though). I keep rooting for Skinner as I keep reminding myself that he's not supposed to be the #1 for this team. He should be developing and he's being rushed because of Campbell being a catastrophic disaster. Desharnais and Broberg... they are also still developing. They are being rushed and so I can't fault them too much either. Some D take a while to develop.

I find myself very disappointed with Bouchard and Ekholm, McLeod, Brown, McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard scores and is a wizard sometimes in the offensive zone, but he's not a particularly scary PP quarterback (because he stands still) and he's an absolute dumpster fire on D. His vision on O makes the lack of vision on D totally inexcusable. He can see the ice... he just chooses not to. That is brutally frustrating and I do find myself angry at him almost all the time. Ekholm just looks.... off... and doesn't seem to be able to cover for Bouch the way he did last year. He's not communicating with Evan now the way he was earlier, and we're seeing the results of that. Evan doesn't communicate with anyone particularly well, however I thought he'd found some level of synergy with Ek. I guess not.

McLeod is the definition of a public skate dynamo. Lots of flash and flair, but zero in terms of real production and threat. I don't know if I've seen a player that is more gifted that just achieves absolutely nothing meaningful. Also, the PK is a gong show and he could be saving himself by really excelling there. I love McLeod's smile and positivity, however he needs to start producing something. Anything. Hit someone. Do something meaningful and don't just go for a public skate every shift. Ruffle some feathers.

Brown. Enough said. What a brutal contract that's looking to end up being.

McDavid and Draisaitl. Ugh. I can't be too angry with these two, as for years now they've been the absolute backbone, heart and soul of this team... and they've performed consistently. You can't fault them for the body of their work, and they are getting points... just not the league-leading points that we've grown accustomed to. You CAN fault them for their body language and their lack of will to achieve. When things go wrong for either of them, they just turn into pouting little kids... sour-faced and morose. The team feeds off of that. When that starts to happen, you see the team completely wilt. They need to be the leaders of this team and when they become pouty, sad toddlers... it ruins the team. They need to pull up their big boy pants, put on their letters and be the leaders that this team needs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827320 is a reply to message #827319 ]
Sun, 19 November 2023 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 19 November 2023 11:40

.. I find myself very disappointed with Bouchard and Ekholm, McLeod, Brown, McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard scores and is a wizard sometimes in the offensive zone, but he's not a particularly scary PP quarterback (because he stands still) and he's an absolute dumpster fire on D.
His vision on O makes the lack of vision on D totally inexcusable. He can see the ice... he just chooses not to. That is brutally frustrating and I do find myself angry at him almost all the time.

Ekholm just looks.... off... and doesn't seem to be able to cover for Bouch the way he did last year. He's not communicating with Evan now the way he was earlier, and we're seeing the results of that. Evan doesn't communicate with anyone particularly well, however I thought he'd found some level of synergy with Ek. I guess not.

McLeod is the definition of a public skate dynamo. Lots of flash and flair, but zero in terms of real production and threat. I don't know if I've seen a player that is more gifted that just achieves absolutely nothing meaningful. Also, the PK is a gong show and he could be saving himself by really excelling there. I love McLeod's smile and positivity, however he needs to start producing something. Anything. Hit someone. Do something meaningful and don't just go for a public skate every shift. Ruffle some feathers.

Totally agree on Bouchard and McLeod.. described my sentiments perfectly..

Regarding Ekholm, I think he's still injured.. I heard him say whatever was ailing him he'll have to deal with for the rest of the season.. so it has to be something significant.. So I'm less concerned about his play.. at least when he gets healthy you'd expect he'll play at a higher level than he is currently.. which is already pretty effective.

As for Brown.. I hoped he'd be more effective out of the gate.. as did most.. but I'm giving him some time to acclimatize back up to the NHL level pace before I can toss him on the scrap heap..

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2023 16:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827322 is a reply to message #827320 ]
Mon, 20 November 2023 08:38 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 19 November 2023 16:12

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 19 November 2023 11:40

.. I find myself very disappointed with Bouchard and Ekholm, McLeod, Brown, McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard scores and is a wizard sometimes in the offensive zone, but he's not a particularly scary PP quarterback (because he stands still) and he's an absolute dumpster fire on D.
His vision on O makes the lack of vision on D totally inexcusable. He can see the ice... he just chooses not to. That is brutally frustrating and I do find myself angry at him almost all the time.

Ekholm just looks.... off... and doesn't seem to be able to cover for Bouch the way he did last year. He's not communicating with Evan now the way he was earlier, and we're seeing the results of that. Evan doesn't communicate with anyone particularly well, however I thought he'd found some level of synergy with Ek. I guess not.

Totally agree on Bouchard and McLeod.. described my sentiments perfectly..

Regarding Ekholm, I think he's still injured.. I heard him say whatever was ailing him he'll have to deal with for the rest of the season.. so it has to be something significant.. So I'm less concerned about his play.. at least when he gets healthy you'd expect he'll play at a higher level than he is currently.. which is already pretty effective.

As for Brown.. I hoped he'd be more effective out of the gate.. as did most.. but I'm giving him some time to acclimatize back up to the NHL level pace before I can toss him on the scrap heap..

I agree with the McLeod's comments. These are his stats since Feb 12, 2023
23-24 - 16GP 0G 2A
Playoffs - 12GP 0G 5A
22-23 Since Feb 12 17GP - 1G 5A

So that's 45 games with 1 goal, 12A. That's over half a seasons worth of games. He has to score something!

Ekholm, he started off hurt but I personally have thought he's looked like himself the last few weeks movement wise, the problem is his partner is complete chaos. Why do you create D pairings and keep them together? To build chemistry and to make it so each partner knows what the other guy will do on a play. You have to be able to trust that your partner will do their job so you can concentrate on yours. Does anyone know what Bouchard will do on any given play defensively?

The other team is about to get the puck out of their zone and the puck will be going to Bouchards side. Ekholm sees it, starts to back up. He thinks, there is 2 guys coming, maybe a trailer for 3. My partner has the right, I have the left. We got it covered. OH CRAP! Bouch fing pinched again, now it's 2-1, now I have to do this and this and try to cover that.

Or Puck is going to Bouch's corner, I cover the front. OH crap, Bouch isn't skating again, now I better go get it.

Or Bouch has the guy in front, I need to attack the puck carrier in the corner. OH CRAP, Bouch isn't covering anyone again..

There is zero predictability with Bouchard on the dzone. There appears to be zero defensively awareness in his game. There appears to be zero risk awareness when it comes to the defensive side as he will pinch anytime even if the chance to get it is zero. Once the puck crosses the opponents blueline, it appears Bouchard's level of urgency and compete when it comes to anything defensively drops off a cliff. So I have to imagine being Bouchard's partner is extremely difficult.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827313 is a reply to message #827307 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Congrats to Connor Brown

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827314 is a reply to message #827313 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:11

Congrats to Connor Brown

I didn't think he looked too bad in the 1st, drew a penalty but has delivered nothing meaningful in 10 games.

This loss hurts, man....had this game in control.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827315 is a reply to message #827314 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:17

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 18 November 2023 17:11

Congrats to Connor Brown

I didn't think he looked too bad in the 1st, drew a penalty but has delivered nothing meaningful in 10 games.

This loss hurts, man....had this game in control.

10 games, 0-0-0, 1 drawn penalty, 323 big smiles, 97 McDavid bro-hugs, 3.225M bonus.

Oilers pro scouts hit the mark again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827316 is a reply to message #827307 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Bouchard.. turnstiled how many times? .. learn how to pivot buddy.. his puck awareness is off chart..

also .. need a RH shot one time sniper on the left side boards for the PP .. they are no shot threat on the left side..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16) [message #827317 is a reply to message #827307 ]
Sat, 18 November 2023 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Missed the 3rd. Team still plays super dumb. Jeannot goal, Bouch is surrounded by 3 Tampa guys, and for some reason our forwards all just glide behind the offensive red line watching. Bouch shoots the puck to wide open ice on the right side of the zone, but all our forwards are just camping out in line the opposition net. DUH. Odd man rush goal against.

We can't handle our D jumping up at all. Forwards zero awareness when the D aren't in their position. Letting old man Glendenning get a 2 on 1 goal because no one cares Kulak is caught up the ice, come on.

Rushes against still killing us because we made such boneheaded plays.

That's rough losing one with 3 goals from the bottom 6 and a D goal.

Wish Skinner would save more, but you gotta make due with that you have, and not being dummies allowing odd man rushes against so easily would be a lot easier than expecting Holland to pull off a winning trade.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 November 2023 18:30]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca