This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827109]
Mon, 13 November 2023 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   56%
Islanders to win:   44%
18 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827111 is a reply to message #827109 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Hell of a game

Skinner with back to back quality starts. This is the oilers we know

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827112 is a reply to message #827109 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Live shot of Oilers management

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.744897268.3030/aps,504x498,small,transparent-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Good grind out win. Got some bounces in our end, which was due. Made chances in the 3rd count.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827113 is a reply to message #827109 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t9Was4vQ1j4/Wk-l2TSxTjI/AAAAAAAAPeo/e_9BeldOYoI2TLwwpZwv1GoYK73dHvtxQCLcBGAs/s1600/Streaking2.JPG

Feeling good.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827114 is a reply to message #827113 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I missed most of the game. How did we look in our own end?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827115 is a reply to message #827109 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Simple quiet hockey and took advantages of mistakes with some timely saves.

The polar opposite of most of our season to date. Let’s start a run.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827119 is a reply to message #827115 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 21:08

Simple quiet hockey and took advantages of mistakes with some timely saves.

The polar opposite of most of our season to date. Let’s start a run.

WE took advantage of THEIR mistakes? Did I wake up in twilight zone?

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827116 is a reply to message #827109 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

I was mad for Woodcroft and couldn’t be happy for Chris today because of that but it’s clear after tonight’s game that they quit on Woody as they didn’t like his new system after that Vancouver loss and nobody stuck to the plan. Tonight Nurse didn’t make any mistakes, Skinner made 30+ saves, powerplay struck twice, McDavid with a beauty pass to Hyman and both of the big two finding the net..it’s one game but that was the best game of the early terrible season.. still want Holland, Schwartz & Nicholson gone but let the Knob Era begin.

(Anyone else lose HUNDREDS of their posts? I was at just over 500 and this is the second time this has happened since 2007. I should be closing in on 1000! Im never gonna get a cup here 😅)

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2023 22:33]

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827117 is a reply to message #827116 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 22:28

I was mad for Woodcroft and couldn’t be happy for Chris today because of that but it’s clear after tonight’s game that they quit on Woody as they didn’t like his new system after that Vancouver loss and nobody stuck to the plan. Tonight Nurse didn’t make any mistakes, Skinner made 30+ saves, powerplay struck twice, McDavid with a beauty pass to Hyman and both of the big two finding the net..it’s one game but that was the best game of the early terrible season.. still want Holland, Schwartz & Nicholson gone but let the Knob Era begin.

(Anyone else lose HUNDREDS of their posts? I was at just over 500 and this is the second time this has happened since 2007. I should be closing in on 1000! Im never gonna get a cup here 😅)

If the Islanders had the godly aim and Hasek 2.0 goaltending the Canucks have got so far this year, we probably just lose again. I think this was more of a mean regression game again for us. We needed some lucky bounces in our end. We weren't creating that much, but got that PP in the 3rd and scored right away and the Islanders kinda went on their heels.

Think Knob has lots of work to do still.

Damn, I'm gonna be calling him Knob forever now... Didn't hear that before your post.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827118 is a reply to message #827116 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 21:28

I suppose I never announced it, but I wanted to make the database smaller, and purged from 6 years ago. It's not like the threads are referenced much, so just time to compact it all.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827120 is a reply to message #827116 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 22:28

I was close to 4 Cups more than once. Back to one again, but oh well. They probably deleted my most senseless posts, which is the majority of them.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 November 2023 13:53]

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827121 is a reply to message #827120 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It's one game so I won't read too much into it, they need to play way more games to see if they have turned it around. The first minute where they couldn't do anything worse made me a little nervous. The usual suspect on defense doing his thing watching a guy score. But after that, they looked like a real NHL hockey team.

The Islanders have a big, good defense, with good goalie. They usually play hard, they play defensive and they look for other teams to make mistakes to score. Their first goal was exactly that. But the Oilers didn't fall into the trap. They didn't force things, they limited their mistakes. They got saves when needed and when given opportunities, their skill capitalized. For the most part, they played good hockey and they won. Was it run and gun, super exciting? Not for the first few periods. There is more than enough talent on this team that if they play properly, they will win a lot of games.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827124 is a reply to message #827121 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The minutes last night really stood out to me. First game, maybe it will change but I can't remember the last time in a game that was pretty tight for the majority of it, where both McD and Leon were under 20 mins. If Woody was coaching, those 2 would be over 23-24 mins easy. Even the defense, all 4 in the top 4 were just over 21 mins. In a game like that, Mason would have played Nurse easily 25+.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827125 is a reply to message #827121 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 07:24

It's one game so I won't read too much into it, they need to play way more games to see if they have turned it around. The first minute where they couldn't do anything worse made me a little nervous. The usual suspect on defense doing his thing watching a guy score. But after that, they looked like a real NHL hockey team.

The Islanders have a big, good defense, with good goalie. They usually play hard, they play defensive and they look for other teams to make mistakes to score. Their first goal was exactly that. But the Oilers didn't fall into the trap. They didn't force things, they limited their mistakes. They got saves when needed and when given opportunities, their skill capitalized. For the most part, they played good hockey and they won. Was it run and gun, super exciting? Not for the first few periods. There is more than enough talent on this team that if they play properly, they will win a lot of games.

You’re describing the team I thought we needed to become to have any chance in the playoffs. I hope it holds up.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827126 is a reply to message #827125 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 09:11

You’re describing the team I thought we needed to become to have any chance in the playoffs. I hope it holds up.

I agree. How they played last night is how they need to play all the time. I hope it continues.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827128 is a reply to message #827126 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 09:14

nullterm wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 09:11

I agree. How they played last night is how they need to play all the time. I hope it continues.

I didn't see much difference between the Seattle or Islanders games and the rest of the season. Last night they played a bad team to a draw for 47 minutes before scoring a powerplay goal and then getting something of a lucky goal. The Islanders are a bad team on a five game losing streak that has a problem with hemorrhaging late goals against and cannot score. The Oilers basically played themselves and won. That's nice, but it's not an indication they look like a real NHL team... or a Stanley Cup contender. The same goes for the next game against Seattle. I hope they do well and collect the two points, but it's probably not going to be an indicator.

The four game road trip in TB, Florida, Carolina, and Washington should tell us something.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827130 is a reply to message #827128 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I saw one big difference. The saves.

After bad goals against, it appears as though the Oilers lose their drive (not sure you can blame them for the .750 goaltending they received to start the season) Last night Skinner made saves, and the Oilers didn't let up. A bad goal against can be so deflating, and I think seeing so many of them in the first 10 games really shook the whole roster.

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827132 is a reply to message #827130 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

If skinner keeps playing like this we can be good. He has been solid the last two games

Re: Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14) [message #827133 is a reply to message #827130 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 12:11 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 11:47

I saw one big difference. The saves.

After bad goals against, it appears as though the Oilers lose their drive (not sure you can blame them for the .750 goaltending they received to start the season) Last night Skinner made saves, and the Oilers didn't let up. A bad goal against can be so deflating, and I think seeing so many of them in the first 10 games really shook the whole roster.

I agree with you.

I thought after that early first goal, the Oilers looked extremely tentative. Coach just got fired, insane couple of days. Then first minute, everything that has gone wrong to date to get the coach fired happened in the first minute. I am sure the whole team probably sunk and here we go again set in. So for Skinner to give them a few saves, saves they weren't getting before was huge. Skinner let them take a breath and let them get into the game, it took them a bit to recover but they got there.

In my opinion, I feel like Leon's struggles have been the poster boy for the whole teams struggles. Nothing has gone right this season and the same goes for Leon. 3 time 50 goal scorer. Other seasons he would have but the seasons were cut short. He's been missing shots since game 1 he never missed. Fanning on 1 timers that are automatic. Bobbling pucks. You name it. it's gone wrong for him. So when he scored that goal scorers goal, I thought it was obviously huge for him but huge for the team. The one thing a new coach does is I think it resets the season for the players. Whatever happened with the old coach happened with him, onto the new guy. I might read into it too much but I think that goal was a signal of turning the page on the first month.

Previous Topic:Holloway out long term - possibly months
Next Topic:Woodcroft being relieved
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca