This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kris Knoblauch hired as head coachPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827050 is a reply to message #827049 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Who was Connor’s GM in junior? I want to get ahead of the curve for when Holland is let go.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827044 is a reply to message #827040 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:42

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 17:03

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:59

Rishaug confirming that Coffey's roll as assistant is only temporary.. which make sense.. I doubt the guy wants to be on the road all year doing an NHL coaching gig at this point in his life...

Training wheels!!!

When your training wheels probably also need training wheels.

To be fair I think Coffey is pretty smart with regards to hockey strategy and defensive systems.. we'll see if there is any impact.. they still have Mark Stuart as D-coach.. I doubt Coffey will be running the show.

We'll see how these players handle the shock of an in season change.. .. hopefully its a positive reaction. Its a player re-set.. clean slate.. everyone is re-evaluated.. the favoured and un-favoured start fresh.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827045 is a reply to message #827044 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 18:56

Rishaug confirming that Coffey's roll as assistant is only temporary.. which make sense.. I doubt the guy wants to be on the road all year doing an NHL coaching gig at this point in his life...

Training wheels!!!

To be fair I think Coffey is pretty smart with regards to hockey strategy and defensive systems.. we'll see if there is any impact.. they still have Mark Stuart as D-coach.. I doubt Coffey will be running the show.

We'll see how these players handle the shock of an in season change.. .. hopefully its a positive reaction. Its a player re-set.. clean slate.. everyone is re-evaluated.. the favoured and un-favoured start fresh.

Not sure if Coffey has actually done a thing at any level of hockey outside his playing career to suggest he has proven NHL level coaching ability. A team lacking defensive structure ... does Coffey's career suggest he is the man to solve that? Is it like Gretzky trying to teach guys as a coach? Think super talented players make terrible coaches a lot of the time because they don't grasp how limited typical players are in what they can process on the ice and what they can do with the puck. Guess we will see though. Same kind of gamble we have made forever with ex Oilers. Did work out here and there with coaches at least in the past.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2023 19:03]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827047 is a reply to message #827045 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 18:00

Training wheels!!!

Not sure if Coffey has actually done a thing at any level of hockey outside his playing career to suggest he has proven NHL level coaching ability. A team lacking defensive structure ... does Coffey's career suggest he is the man to solve that? Is it like Gretzky trying to teach guys as a coach? Think super talented players make terrible coaches a lot of the time because they don't grasp how limited typical players are in what they can process on the ice and what they can do with the puck. Guess we will see though. Same kind of gamble we have made forever with ex Oilers. Did work out here and there with coaches at least in the past.

Took the same gamble with Woodcroft originally.. turned out well.. for a while.. icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827052 is a reply to message #827047 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 19:06

Training wheels!!!

Took the same gamble with Woodcroft originally.. turned out well.. for a while.. icon_smile

Woodcraft was around NHL coaching for over a decade though. Coffey coached Jr A for his kids team (got in trouble and was almost banned from the league) and did some zoom calls with our AHL D once a week for a nice 500k payday.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827053 is a reply to message #827052 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 18:51

..Coffey coached Jr A for his kids team ..

I think it was OJHL.. junior B

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827054 is a reply to message #827052 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Training wheels!!!

Woodcraft was around NHL coaching for over a decade though..

..although to be fair.. being "around" head coaching isn't the same as being a HC.. Woody was only a HC for 3.5 years while at Bakersfield prior to getting appointed the Oiler duties mid season...

He did win a championship while there.. but the AHL is a development league.. rosters skill levels can vary quite a bit.. so AHL team success isn't always a direct comparable for coaching abilities.. a better factor might be if there's consistent improvement of the young players.. not aware how the NYR prospects have turned out after going through Hartford.. but NYR's seem to be doing OK..

Knobber has been a head coach since 2010-2011.. except for his 2 years as an NHL assistant in Philly.. where the HC was Haksol (now with Kraken)..

We shall see what we shall see.. it is what it is.. c'est la vie.. que sera, sera.. etcetera ... etcetera ...icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827056 is a reply to message #827054 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 22:53

Training wheels!!!

Woodcraft was around NHL coaching for over a decade though..

..although to be fair.. being "around" head coaching isn't the same as being a HC.. Woody was only a HC for 3.5 years while at Bakersfield prior to getting appointed the Oiler duties mid season...

He did win a championship while there.. but the AHL is a development league.. rosters skill levels can vary quite a bit.. so AHL team success isn't always a direct comparable for coaching abilities.. a better factor might be if there's consistent improvement of the young players.. not aware how the NYR prospects have turned out after going through Hartford.. but NYR's seem to be doing OK..

Knobber has been a head coach since 2010-2011.. except for his 2 years as an NHL assistant in Philly.. where the HC was Haksol (now with Kraken)..

We shall see what we shall see.. it is what it is.. c'est la vie.. que sera, sera.. etcetera ... etcetera ...icon_smile

Knoblauch could be good. When he was first mentioned as a possibility he barely had any pro-league experience under his belt. Mentioned again after Tippet out, had more experience. Now he's had another 2 years on top of that. Lots of NHL coaches have similar build ups to getting a shot. I think it's safe to say his history with McDavid is the reason he was on the radar all this time, and finally, when we are at max desperation, we finally draw that card. Hail mary for the coach bump, and also the bonus of being one of the most impactful people in McDavid's hockey life. Considering the stakes, hiring a totally inexperienced NHL HC, I think they are leaning far harder to pleasing McDavid than anything else.

Coffey, bleh. Zero in-season pro-coaching experience. Zero management experience. One of the biggest shortcut takers to work their way up of all OBC members. He was sitting next to Katz at the top of the org, and suddenly he's a temp assistant NHL coach. I'm guessing Katz is looking to him to give an assessment of what it happening in the room. Special assignment from the king himself. Similar to what MacT claimed he would do with Todd Nelson, before he concluded David Perron was the poison that needed to be purged to get the team back on track (ending with us drafting McDavid and MacT being fired).

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2023 00:00]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827048 is a reply to message #827038 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

But, but when Knoblauch was asked if there would be any changes in the coaching dept, I thought I faintly heard “NO” in the background. Sounded like Holland. That didn’t come off awkward at all.

I just watched the presser. That was painful. Probably about 25 minutes longer than it needed to be. “They said, tag Paul, you’re it. So I’m like, no thanks. Okay sure what the hell. I like this D and they will get better.” That’s not what Paul said, but he may as well have. Glad to hear it’s a temp role. It’s the only positive I’m feeling at the moment.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827060 is a reply to message #827048 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Based on that presser, it's pretty clear this is not Holland's decision. This is Jackson putting his stamp on the team. Holland would answer a question differently than Jackson. Jackson would answer, then Holland would jump in to give his 2 cents.

Holland sounds like an old politician. Telling the people lots but not saying a ton. Jackson was too the point. Here what we wanted, and here's why.

Like I said in the other thread. Holland clearly doesn't have control anymore.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827061 is a reply to message #827060 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 07:13

Based on that presser, it's pretty clear this is not Holland's decision. This is Jackson putting his stamp on the team. Holland would answer a question differently than Jackson. Jackson would answer, then Holland would jump in to give his 2 cents.

Holland sounds like an old politician. Telling the people lots but not saying a ton. Jackson was too the point. Here what we wanted, and here's why.

Like I said in the other thread. Holland clearly doesn't have control anymore.

Did you watch the press conference? Holland spoke 60% of the time. Jackson maybe spoke 10%. There was one spot where they said different things - a pretty critical clarification.

Holland is clearly still involved in the decision making, although he now has a running mate. Pretty clear that Jackson isn't letting him make the decision on his own at this stage.

It would have been much more comforting yesterday if the Oilers had also sent the old man packing. There's nothing good that comes from keeping him here. Besides, then they could have made Connor McDavid's Grade 10 math teacher the new GM and wouldn't that have been a nice surprise for him?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827063 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Watched the presser fully. Kinda funny how Coffey sounds almost like he's complaining about not getting to just sit at the top of the org and whisper in Katz's ear for his pay cheques.

Jackson looks like he hasn't slept in weeks.

Holland, same old guy just trying to gut feel his way through every situation.

Knoblauch well spoken, said good things. I'm tired of being taken in by impressive coach talk though. Hope he can get results.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827064 is a reply to message #827063 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 09:32

Knoblauch well spoken, said good things. I'm tired of being taken in by impressive coach talk though. Hope he can get results.

Well spoken guy, lots of good things to say, success in junior/minors… please lord don’t let this be another Eakins situation.

I don’t think he will be. I’m hoping he is what we need… the Connor connections put a bit of a shadow on things if it was a guy they knew, versus finding the best candidate.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2023 11:43]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827068 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Refuse to click on spector article links, but found this funny excerpt. Spec working on some ego repair.

Dennis King @DKingBH

Even for Spec, this is a lot:) No need to make himself part of the story. Why include Katz?:) How has life in the NHL been unfair to him? He deserves what he gets ever since he let Nicholson hire a second GM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-1r1rwW0AA0KSb?format=jpg&name=900x900

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827075 is a reply to message #827068 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

The talk out there that No. 97 is pulling the strings here in EDM will not be greeted well by McDavid.
He doesn’t like it. Not one bit.
Read all about it:

Spector getting on the ropes? Starting to sound like a guy selling a tabloid on twitter lately.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827076 is a reply to message #827075 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 14:50

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

The talk out there that No. 97 is pulling the strings here in EDM will not be greeted well by McDavid.
He doesn’t like it. Not one bit.
Read all about it:

Spector getting on the ropes? Starting to sound like a guy selling a tabloid on twitter lately.

NHL's TMZ reporter.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827077 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mark Spector is the biggest joke out there and his articles are brutal, but not as brutal as the clown show that is the Edmonton Oilers management team.

I am hopeful that it’s on the mend, but skepticism runs strong. If the NHL was a competitive major league sport there would be a blockbuster movie being made of this tire fire.

I’m still hopeful for Jackson. He at least appears to be professional and intelligent in front of the cameras.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827087 is a reply to message #827077 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 18:38 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 16:48

Mark Spector is the biggest joke out there and his articles are brutal, but not as brutal as the clown show that is the Edmonton Oilers management team.

I am hopeful that it’s on the mend, but skepticism runs strong. If the NHL was a competitive major league sport there would be a blockbuster movie being made of this tire fire.

I’m still hopeful for Jackson. He at least appears to be professional and intelligent in front of the cameras.

If Edmonton's sports media had anyone with an independent thought an oral history would be being worked on as we speak. It could year by year or rebuild by rebuild, author's choice. But we don't have independents in media so we got Spector's book and the usual band of bandits acting as Oilers PR.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Next Topic:Pregame: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca