Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Woodcroft being relieved [message #826991]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:10 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1723747338777190457

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Edmonton is making a coaching change. Jay Woodcroft being relieved of his duties. Thought last nights win would buy some time, but that’s not the case.

Woody being held accountable for the teams woes, but if he’s gone then Holland should be gone as well.

At least the players got him a win for his last game and played they way he wanted… if only they’d done that to start the season and consistently.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2023 10:13]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826992 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

His defensive systems obviously had flaws, but he’s far from the problem with this completely unserious organization. Those at fault for this mess will not be held accountable. They’re not that interested in winning. Just the optics of it.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826993 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

2 Cups

I'm hoping they already have a better option in place. Change for changes sake is awful.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826994 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Thank you Jay Woodcroft last year was a pleasure!
Are we entering the Gerald Gallant era?

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826995 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Not happy at all until we hear Holland is fired or restricted in what he can do until his contract runs out.

Woodcraft was probably half way down the long list of team issues. The new coach bump would be hard to make last for 4/5 of a season and into playoffs, if we get one at all.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826996 is a reply to message #826995 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81 is currently online tardigrade81

1 Cup

After a dominating win. Makes zero sense.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827027 is a reply to message #826995 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 09:27

Not happy at all until we hear Holland is fired or restricted in what he can do until his contract runs out.

Woodcraft was probably half way down the long list of team issues. The new coach bump would be hard to make last for 4/5 of a season and into playoffs, if we get one at all.

I'm surprised.
The guy has a great record.. the problem has been the horses pulling (or more accurately not pulling) the wagon.. too many nags.. the defence is a mess except for Ekholm IMHO.. Nurse and Bouchard can't play proper defence .. mentally or physically.. simply can't execute .. any system.

.. but I guess you can't fire the entire team.. NMC's and all..

Regarding Holland.. I think that concern was taken care of when Jackson and his advanced stats guy were hired..

This smells like when flat top was fired and Hitchcock got hired.. didn't do a thing.. hopefully this creates a better result.. but doubt it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826997 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Oh man. We're hiring McDavid's Jr coach

@frank_serivalli

Hearing Kris Knoblauch is incoming as next #Oilers coach.

The org is all in on trying to keep McDavid happy before his next contract negotiation.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826998 is a reply to message #826997 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ryan Whitney broke the story too.

Ryan Whitney
@ryanwhitney6
I’m hearing that Hartford Wolf Pack coach Kris Knoblauch is the new coach of the Edmonton Oilers. McDavid former coach in junior.

We've traded one old boys' club for the new boy's club.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #826999 is a reply to message #826997 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 10:31

Oh man. We're hiring McDavid's Jr coach

@frank_serivalli

Hearing Kris Knoblauch is incoming as next #Oilers coach.

The org is all in on trying to keep McDavid happy before his next contract negotiation.

That would definately be a continuation of what they've been doing. Everything to keep McD happy. Just happy it's not MacT or Buchy.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827002 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Not Woody's fault by any means. At least he got his blast at Spector on the way out. He'll have success at his next place.

At this point, I can complain about everything around this team, so really no one they hired would be worth wasting breath over. McDavid's buddy? Sure, fine. It doesn't feel like that was Holland's call, so that's a positive?

confused2

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827006 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Jeff Jackson’s first big move is not to let Holland go but to keep him and let Paul Coffey be an assistant.

Fire them all man. Get somebody serious in here.

Clean house or bust

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827019 is a reply to message #827006 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Coach with record of 79-41-13

GM who gave a $5x5 contract to a guy waived and still sucking in AHL

Who gets fired?

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827021 is a reply to message #827019 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 13:28

Who gets fired?

Well put.

What a bloody dart throwing circus.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827028 is a reply to message #827019 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 12:28

Who gets fired?

Oh yeah man, Campbell is lost.. he got lit up again in Abbotsford last night.. 4 GA on 26 shots.. a glowing (radioactively) save % of 0.846 .. in the AHL..

That goalie coach needs some close scrutiny.. should be more than one guy running that department..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827051 is a reply to message #827028 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:46

Who gets fired?

Oh yeah man, Campbell is lost.. he got lit up again in Abbotsford last night.. 4 GA on 26 shots.. a glowing (radioactively) save % of 0.846 .. in the AHL..

That goalie coach needs some close scrutiny.. should be more than one guy running that department..

Regarding the goalie coach. I doubt the new meat shield (coach) will have a say.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827055 is a reply to message #827051 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 18:50

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:46

Who gets fired?

Regarding the goalie coach. I doubt the new meat shield (coach) will have a say.

We'll see what Jackson and his new advanced stats guy (as well as his new head scout) think about it.. I don't know anything about goalie.. but maybe one guy shouldn't be responsible for the entire process.. I do remember Jackson did say when he got hired that he wants to use every new advanced sports science out there to improve his team.. especially the prospects.. it stood out to me.. getting your prospects more help to develop more skill, strength, agility, and quickness.. if successful.. is like turning your lower draft pick into a higher one.. and if the prospect eventually makes the NHL team.. lets you run with more ELC's to manage the cap

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827022 is a reply to message #826991 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

We are going back to our old ways it appears.

What a dysfunctional organization.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827059 is a reply to message #827022 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

While I feel bad for Woody because he is a nice guy and did have a good winning percentage, his success was in the past. His team this year is grossly underperforming and lots of the reasons are on him. Things that are the coaches fault:
- The coaches, organization and players all said they need to improve the defense. The team is pretty much the exact same. The coaches changed the system and it's failed miserably, they got worse. So bad, they had to change back. That's on the coach, he made the mistake.
- The coaches job is to put in a defensive system the players can execute. It hasn't happened. The defense has been an issue since he got here and it got worse this year. That's on the coach, he hasn't got the players to figure it out.
- The coaches job is to get all players to buy in and do things that benefit the teams success, not the individual. When players make mistakes, it's his job to identify the mistake and to find a way to get the player to fix it. If the mistakes keep happening, he needs to hold the player accountable to correct the mistakes. There is no accountability on the Oilers from the top players down. The same players keep making the same major mistakes over and over again. That's on the coach.
- There appears to be regression in young players. The Oilers like every team are counting on young players to fill holes and be good but more importantly affordable players in the cap world. McLeod has not improved the areas he needs to improve on. He's regressed this year and has been awful. Bouchard has improved offensively, but defensively he hasn't improved. Holloway hardly played last year minutes wise and so far hasn't taken a step. Players need to improve things on their own in the offseason but the coach is responsible for deploying them and getting the most out of them. Bouchard is the only one that at least offensively, they are getting production but defensively it's still a big struggle and has been since Jay got here.
- The Oilers talent wise on paper should be a very good team. Even with their goaltending, they should be way, way better than they are. The job of the coach is to get the most from his players. It hasn't happened. They are grossly underperforming. That's on the coach.
- Lines are the coaches responsibility. There is very little line continuity. He goes to the McD - Leon combo way too early and way to often. They are a more balanced team when they are split. The lines are always in flux. Even when they are going, the lines would change. It has to be tough to develop chemistry when you have different guys on your lines game by game, even shift by shift.
- Ice time. The bottom 6 has been something people have talked about for years. They need the bottom 6 to contribute, they need them to be engaged, need them to have roles. When Woody came in, guys like Ryan said before they didn't feel part of the team because they barely played. That changed for a bit, now it's back to how it was when Tippett was here. Bottom 6 guys barely play. Rotating guys. McD or Leon gets dropped down with them. I am sure when Woody complained about the bottom 6 not scoring a few weeks ago, a few of them were pissed because they don't get minutes.

All the things I listed above contributed to the Oilers losing this year and are all things that the coach are directly responsible for. So I think there was justification for firing. the organization feels they are still in it, if that's the case they had to do something that could move the needle. I think firing Holland is justified but firing him doesn't move the needle this year and I think based on that presser, Holland does not have control. He's a figure head.
-

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827081 is a reply to message #827059 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Everything I have read or watched says there are 3 defensive structures team implement in their own end.

1) man on man
2) zone
3) a hybrid version of 1 and 2

Every NHL’er has played all 3 systems and most teams switch in and out of them throughout a game depending on situations, yet this team can’t put it together. Just maybe it’s because the biggest minute munchers cannot chew gum and walk?

Not sure how you fix a toolbox problem at this level, but recognizing where you’re suppose to box someone out in the NHL is a processing error. The GM needs to find the right players, because no defensive system seems to work for long.

I feel like I’m talking out both sides of my mouth. I blame management. I blame the players and the coaches have the hardest job.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827122 is a reply to message #827081 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 18:10

Everything I have read or watched says there are 3 defensive structures team implement in their own end.

1) man on man
2) zone

Every NHL’er has played all 3 systems and most teams switch in and out of them throughout a game depending on situations, yet this team can’t put it together. Just maybe it’s because the biggest minute munchers cannot chew gum and walk?

Not sure how you fix a toolbox problem at this level, but recognizing where you’re suppose to box someone out in the NHL is a processing error. The GM needs to find the right players, because no defensive system seems to work for long.

I feel like I’m talking out both sides of my mouth. I blame management. I blame the players and the coaches have the hardest job.

The guys who you say seem to have the biggest processing problem defensively are the guys who fans would freak out if they got rid of. I am not trying to pick on the guy but probably the guy that struggles the most defensively and boxing guys out while playing a lot of minutes is Bouchard. He's a 20 min guy and struggles a lot on defense, more specifically struggles around his net. Boxing guys out, picking up the man, battling for pucks. Those aren't his strong suit.

Re: Woodcroft being relieved [message #827123 is a reply to message #827122 ]
Tue, 14 November 2023 08:51 Go to previous message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 November 2023 07:39

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 18:10

1) man on man
2) zone

The guys who you say seem to have the biggest processing problem defensively are the guys who fans would freak out if they got rid of. I am not trying to pick on the guy but probably the guy that struggles the most defensively and boxing guys out while playing a lot of minutes is Bouchard. He's a 20 min guy and struggles a lot on defense, more specifically struggles around his net. Boxing guys out, picking up the man, battling for pucks. Those aren't his strong suit.

This is a great video breaking down where the Oilers D breaks down. Essentially the players get confused when they are shifting between who they are covering which opens up scoring chances for the other team. I’m guessing the VGK figured it out, and everyone else stole their homework. And Woody didn’t adapt fast enough.

Previous Topic:Review: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Next Topic:GDT: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca