Oilers » Kris Knoblauch hired as head coachPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827000]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:41 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers announced today that head coach Jay Woodcroft & assistant coach Dave Manson have been relieved of their coaching duties.

Hartford Wolf Pack head coach Kris Knoblauch will assume head coaching duties with the Oilers & will be joined by assistant coach Paul Coffey.

I can't stop laughing at the idea they hired McDavid's junior coach to keep him happy. And threw Coffey in there too.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827001 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Knob in and Coffey in.

Interesting

I liked Woody, so can’t say I am super happy about it

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827003 is a reply to message #827001 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 10:45

Knob in and Coffey in.

Interesting

I liked Woody, so can’t say I am super happy about it

The Edmonton Otters?

Coffey?

It CAN get worse....and it has.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827004 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yuch... Coffey comes in as the assistant to handle the D, hey?

Unreal. Watch the wheels completely come off this organization now.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827014 is a reply to message #827004 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 10:54

I honestly dont know much about Knoblauch's coaching style or philosophy, but Paul Coffey is the answer to championship level defensive accountability and systems? I guess we'll see.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827017 is a reply to message #827014 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 12:20

I honestly dont know much about Knoblauch's coaching style or philosophy, but Paul Coffey is the answer to championship level defensive accountability and systems? I guess we'll see.

Nothing healthier in an organization than an assistant coach who’s also everyone’s boss.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827023 is a reply to message #827017 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 13:09

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 12:20

Nothing healthier in an organization than an assistant coach who’s also everyone’s boss.

Leon’s dad turned it down.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827024 is a reply to message #827023 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Tuned in late, but sounds like Knoblauch is more concerned about defensive structure. Simplify what players are trying to do. Zone. Get the puck out of Dzone quicker, not necessarily setting up to skate it out.

Without stifling players offensive creativity.

Take pressure off of the shoulders of players so they can get back to enjoying playing.

Some good things he said… but man we been down this road before. You’re on the clock, good luck.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827030 is a reply to message #827024 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 13:48

Tuned in late, but sounds like Knoblauch is more concerned about defensive structure. Simplify what players are trying to do. Zone. Get the puck out of Dzone quicker, not necessarily setting up to skate it out.

Without stifling players offensive creativity.

Take pressure off of the shoulders of players so they can get back to enjoying playing.

Some good things he said… but man we been down this road before. You’re on the clock, good luck.

Knoblauch doesn't have any NHL HC experience.. similar to Woody previously.. an assistant with Philly 2 years.. but has won most places as HC elsewhere.. a defense systems focus..
Don't see why Coffey is in though.. he's got no coaching experience.. 2 years junior B in Ontario.. this might not be permanent..

prepare yourself.. the assistant coach with Knoblauch in Hartford (where he just left) was none other than .. drum roll... .... Stevie Smith!

Thought Jackson would be a little more thorough.. seems like a dice throw.. well .. lets hope for 7's.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827005 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I'm starting to get concerned that McDavid is the real GM of this team, and he isn't very good at it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827010 is a reply to message #827005 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 11:00

I'm starting to get concerned that McDavid is the real GM of this team, and he isn't very good at it.

Is McDavid making these decisions? Or is the team basically playing "Connor McDavid - This is Your Life!" in a desperate attempt to keep him happy?

Either way, it's embarrassing. Knoblauch had zero success in Hartford in the AHL the last 5 years. He won one Memorial Cup (not with McDavid) so he's not without ANY resume, but he's hardly a sure bet as a rookie NHL coach.

And Coffey? Man...just when you think that they can't make it worse...

Also - somehow Holland still survives.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827012 is a reply to message #827010 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The team is giving McDavid this power, so they are just as much to blame. Ultimately it falls to the owner.

Lots of chatter about McDavid helping to bring Brown in this summer as well, which has not worked out. Was it really Holland’s blunder? Now I’m not sure.

I don’t think there is any way McDavid wasn’t in on this decision, meaning he was also on board with firing Woody. A player should never have that much power, even McDavid. The optics of this are horrible, and can only be justified if they win Stanley, which seems less likely today.

I think Holland is a lame duck at this stage, and the only reason they haven’t fired him is out of respect. Another decision that is counterproductive to winning.

Coffey as a coach is just icing on the cake.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827013 is a reply to message #827012 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 11:43

The team is giving McDavid this power, so they are just as much to blame. Ultimately it falls to the owner.

Lots of chatter about McDavid helping to bring Brown in this summer as well, which has not worked out. Was it really Holland’s blunder? Now I’m not sure.

I don’t think there is any way McDavid wasn’t in on this decision, meaning he was also on board with firing Woody. A player should never have that much power, even McDavid. The optics of this are horrible, and can only be justified if they win Stanley, which seems less likely today.

I think Holland is a lame duck at this stage, and the only reason they haven’t fired him is out of respect. Another decision that is counterproductive to winning.

Coffey as a coach is just icing on the cake.

The idea that Connor fired the coach is why I wonder whether this really was his call. I could see them calling and telling him this was the plan and is he happy to have Kris Knoblauch here. It’s horrible optics no matter what. The team putting its best player in to a bad position either way.

Great players rarely make great GMs even when they aren’t playing on the team, so they shouldn’t be abdicating power to him while he’s still a player on the team for sure.

This organization is just so goddamn embarrassing.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827015 is a reply to message #827010 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 11:31

Is McDavid making these decisions? Or is the team basically playing "Connor McDavid - This is Your Life!" in a desperate attempt to keep him happy?

Either way, it's embarrassing. Knoblauch had zero success in Hartford in the AHL the last 5 years. He won one Memorial Cup (not with McDavid) so he's not without ANY resume, but he's hardly a sure bet as a rookie NHL coach.

And Coffey? Man...just when you think that they can't make it worse...

Also - somehow Holland still survives.

I think its a little of both.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827018 is a reply to message #827005 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

As long as it means he stays, I, for one, welcome our Hart trophy winning overlord. Just hope he takes some heat if it goes sideways

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827007 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I hate to continually be skeptical, but I’m pretty skeptical today.

And Coffey. Okay…

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827011 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I have often said that the Oilers will have to win with McDavid and Draisaitl despite their management. I hope they get traded sooner rather than later so I can follow their careers elsewhere. I’m a fan of them, not of the Oilers, and today I feel more strongly about that than ever. Wasting the careers of those two gifts is unforgivable and I won’t be sticking around for the never ending circus that comes after.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827016 is a reply to message #827011 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

This team is a car accident you just can’t turn away from no matter how ridiculous or gruesome. They seem so far out of touch with reality on every front it’s sad. Hopefully everyone is proved wrong with the new coaching team but I highly doubt it. Maybe Ryan Reynolds will step up and buy the team and turn it into at least a hit TV show. Have Deadpool nights or something because this is getting out of hand quickly here. In 5 years I can see a team devoid of talented players, bottom of the league perpetually and hacks like Matty and Spec writing books about the downfall of a once revered team that through poor ownership and management performance, squandered the talents of 2 future HOF players.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827020 is a reply to message #827011 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 11:38

I have often said that the Oilers will have to win with McDavid and Draisaitl despite their management. I hope they get traded sooner rather than later so I can follow their careers elsewhere. I’m a fan of them, not of the Oilers, and today I feel more strongly about that than ever. Wasting the careers of those two gifts is unforgivable and I won’t be sticking around for the never ending circus that comes after.

What if he becomes a Leaf?

That’s my line in the sand…

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827025 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

This shock and awe might be the off-ramp for Holland to say he’s stepping down. He’s apparently not involved anymore anyway. Or he can hang around doing nothing so he gets bank while even more people wonder why he’s still here.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827026 is a reply to message #827025 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:06

This shock and awe might be the off-ramp for Holland to say he’s stepping down. He’s apparently not involved anymore anyway. Or he can hang around doing nothing so he gets bank while even more people wonder why he’s still here.

So the Lowe/MacT tradition?

Coffey as an Asst Coach this year, head coach next year and GM after that?

Everything is going according to plan. doh

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827034 is a reply to message #827025 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

He sounds pretty involved from the press conference. Did a huge amount of the speaking.

He's clearly less intelligent than Jeff Jackson. Asked about the player's input, he says that he talked to a few in the last week on what was going on but that he wouldn't share what they said. Jackson then said NO player was consulted on firing Woodcroft or hiring the new coach.

The management seems so disjointed here though. I mean, it sounds like they only had one name on their list here, and that they didn't decide to do something until after San Jose. I don't get the sense they spent a whole lot of time thinking about why Cris Knoblauch changes anything - other than Holland thought that last time he fired the coach, the team responded well, sooo...

And #$%&ing Spector asking about accountability - he just wants Bouchard benched so badly! Holland didn't really bite on that one though. Talked about how the 21-man roster makes it harder for the coach to sit people. Said he was fine with the reasons Woody didn't make a big show of benching anyone. Knoblauch didn't really bite either - talked about how he doesn't want players playing in fear of mistakes. Only thing he mentioned is the old cliche about ice time as currency. That's not much of a soundbite though. Poor Spec. That article isn't going to write itself today - although you know he's pumped to slam Woodcroft today.

I watched the whole press conference just now. I will say, like most Oilers pressers, there isn't even a plan of communication, never mind a bigger management plan. There's no comfort or confidence that you can glean from watching these bozos talk.

And typical Edmonton media - no one asked any hard questions about whether management should be carrying the blame rather than the head coach. No one mentioned the goaltending, or the goaltending coach either. Or, for that matter, how Gulutzan ends up with his fourth head coach here?

Has to be amazing to come in as a new head coach and be told that you're stuck with almost everyone because they're good team guys - oh, and the one extra position? The owner's mole will play that role.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827036 is a reply to message #827034 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:33

Asked about the player's input, he says that he talked to a few in the last week on what was going on but that he wouldn't share what they said. Jackson then said NO player was consulted on firing Woodcroft or hiring the new coach...

That's why Jackson's there.. more savvy

Holland's remarks can be left to be negatively construed (by clown media like Spector) that it was possible the players input led to the decision.. even if it wasn't.. it leaves a stink on the players that didn't need to be left.. just say no .. or better yet .. nothing.. instead.. say it was strictly a management decision.. take the responsibility.. which Jackson tried to step in to correct.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2023 16:45]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827037 is a reply to message #827036 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:41

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:33

Asked about the player's input, he says that he talked to a few in the last week on what was going on but that he wouldn't share what they said. Jackson then said NO player was consulted on firing Woodcroft or hiring the new coach...

That's why Jackson's there.. more savvy
Holland's remarks can be left to be construed (by clown media like Spector) that it was possible the players input led to the decision.. even if it wasn't.. it leaves a stink on the players that didn't need to be left.. just say no .. or better yet .. nothing.. instead.. which Jackson tried step in to correct.

Yeah, you'd think someone with Holland's experience should have a basic understanding of what to say or not to say in an interview. He is terrible at it. I still don't understand how the Oilers brass just send those idiots out there to face questions going completely off-the-cuff. At bare minimum, they should be prepared for a question like that. They just hired McDavid's junior coach, three months after hiring his agent and four months after making his junior-era buddy our big free agent signing of the summer. You HAVE to anticipate that there could be some question about his role in bringing about this decision and you HAVE to know it looks terrible if he actually did make the call - so be prepared to protect him.

Holland just rambles and says whatever comes in to his mind. It's a small mercy that he didn't spend half the conference blathering on about his time in Detroit (just a couple mentions), but that was a complete fail there by him. Jackson looked sour to be there and didn't say a lot but he at least fixed that piece. If only he'd been proactive and fired that old man before putting him out in front of the cameras instead.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827057 is a reply to message #827034 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:33

He sounds pretty involved from the press conference. Did a huge amount of the speaking.

He's clearly less intelligent than Jeff Jackson. Asked about the player's input, he says that he talked to a few in the last week on what was going on but that he wouldn't share what they said. Jackson then said NO player was consulted on firing Woodcroft or hiring the new coach.

The management seems so disjointed here though. I mean, it sounds like they only had one name on their list here, and that they didn't decide to do something until after San Jose. I don't get the sense they spent a whole lot of time thinking about why Cris Knoblauch changes anything - other than Holland thought that last time he fired the coach, the team responded well, sooo...

And #$%&ing Spector asking about accountability - he just wants Bouchard benched so badly! Holland didn't really bite on that one though. Talked about how the 21-man roster makes it harder for the coach to sit people. Said he was fine with the reasons Woody didn't make a big show of benching anyone. Knoblauch didn't really bite either - talked about how he doesn't want players playing in fear of mistakes. Only thing he mentioned is the old cliche about ice time as currency. That's not much of a soundbite though. Poor Spec. That article isn't going to write itself today - although you know he's pumped to slam Woodcroft today.

I watched the whole press conference just now. I will say, like most Oilers pressers, there isn't even a plan of communication, never mind a bigger management plan. There's no comfort or confidence that you can glean from watching these bozos talk.

And typical Edmonton media - no one asked any hard questions about whether management should be carrying the blame rather than the head coach. No one mentioned the goaltending, or the goaltending coach either. Or, for that matter, how Gulutzan ends up with his fourth head coach here?

Has to be amazing to come in as a new head coach and be told that you're stuck with almost everyone because they're good team guys - oh, and the one extra position? The owner's mole will play that role.

We better get on benching Bouch quick. Guy is out of control.

Look at this bum at even strength the last 5 games:

CF 69.72%
SF 69.57%
GF 66.67%
xGF 70.33%
HDCF 65.91%
PDO 0.993

Look at what this bum did without being punished.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827062 is a reply to message #827057 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 00:27

CF 69.72%
SF 69.57%
GF 66.67%
xGF 70.33%
HDCF 65.91%
PDO 0.993

Hey - but he gave the puck away and the other team scored! And he's under 25 so you have to sit him so that he learns not to do that! That's just the way of the world.

Also, thou shalt give good quotes to the local scribes when they are clearly trying to write a specific story. It's way harder to hit your word count when the quotes don't line up!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827069 is a reply to message #827057 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 November 2023 00:27

CF 69.72%
SF 69.57%
GF 66.67%
xGF 70.33%
HDCF 65.91%
PDO 0.993

Spector DID let his hurt feelings leak out in his article today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-1r1rwW0AA0KSb?format=jpg&name=large

What an infantile twit.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827074 is a reply to message #827069 ]
Mon, 13 November 2023 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I know what article Spec is writing without listening to his post game questions. The poor coach not only had to listen to him, he had to pretend like he cared and respond.

The last gasp of the McDavid / Draisaitl rebuild starts tonight.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827029 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Is Coffey being a coach instead of being in management a win at least? :)

No idea what to really think of all this. Clearly the org is greatly interested in keeping McDavid happy. There is no coincidence we threw a wad of cash at McDavid's Jr mentor (Brown) and then now sign his Jr head coach that he loved while the org is flailing to figure out how to keep this rebuild from ending.

If you can't actually build a winner, it makes total sense to turn focus to McDavid being happy, and maybe even finding a way to make him feel somewhat responsible for the teams failure, by letting him have such a huge mark on the coaching/roster. These are places that a poorly managed org has to go though And we are very very poorly managed, for over a decade, basically Katz's entire time here, and it's likely not going to lead to consistent success.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2023 16:05]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827031 is a reply to message #827029 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 14:59

No idea what to really think of all this. Clearly the org is greatly interested in keeping McDavid happy. There is no coincidence we threw a wad of cash at McDavid's Jr mentor (Brown) and then now sign his Jr head coach that he loved while the org is flailing to figure out how to keep this rebuild from ending.

If you can't actually build a winner, it makes total sense to turn focus to McDavid being happy, and maybe even finding a way to make him feel somewhat responsible for the teams failure, by letting him have such a huge mark on the coaching/roster. These are places that a poorly managed org goes though, and it's likely not going to lead to consistent success.

I don't know how McD was involved with the firing. he's got to much character and personal accountability to throw a coach under a bus.. but he might have been given the heads up when it was decided and asked for his opinion of Knoblauch.. not much McDavid could substantially say about him.. he last coached him 10 years ago in OHL Errie.. except for maybe things like personality, character etc..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827032 is a reply to message #827031 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 15:07

If you can't actually build a winner, it makes total sense to turn focus to McDavid being happy, and maybe even finding a way to make him feel somewhat responsible for the teams failure, by letting him have such a huge mark on the coaching/roster. These are places that a poorly managed org goes though, and it's likely not going to lead to consistent success.

I don't know how McD was involved with the firing. he's got to much character and personal accountability to throw a coach under a bus.. but he might have been given the heads up when it was decided and asked for his opinion of Knoblauch.. not much McDavid could substantially say about him.. he last coached him 10 years ago in OHL Errie.. except for maybe things like personality, character etc..

I would guess McDavid would have given objective feedback on what he was seeing coaching wise and if there were any concerns he had with what was happening in games. Not throw under bus, but not sugar coating either.

McDavid just seems like a zero BS, all honest guy. If someone in the organization asks him if he had concerns about how the team was being coached he’d probably lay it out “we’ve got our heads spinning in our own zone, everybody is confused, we need better guidance there.”

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827033 is a reply to message #827031 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:07

I highly doubt McDavid is asking the org to fire Woody too. It would be more about knowing who had a significant impact on McDavid in his career and who he likely would vouch for if he was asked who his ideal coach would be. Knoblauch's name has been around for the previous low points of Oilers coaching, and think it is obvious why. Connor brown for sure was a guy McDavid vouched for and his history with McDavid is even further back than the last time McDavid played under Knoblauch.

Everyone in this org is just reaching out hoping for some kind of magic to happen to compensate for poor management, poor coaching, poor play. Personally I think it makes total sense they would start to try to reach back into a McDavid's happy Jr days now and all the mentors that helped him grow from a young super talent into a mature pro. Not many places left to reach. Well, at least when the owner has been so unwilling to get serious about how management is run. Same mentality of a coach that just endlessly blends lines because they don't really have confidence in how certain players will compliment eachother. Just try stuff, hoping for a miracle to appear that you can ride and get back to the motivational quotes to keep things rolling. Or an owner that thinks hiring friends that tell him what he wants to hear will lead to success, and if it's not just gotta add more friends and friends of those friends and eventually it will work out.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 November 2023 16:33]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827035 is a reply to message #827033 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:25

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:07

I highly doubt McDavid is asking the org to fire Woody too. It would be more about knowing who had a significant impact on McDavid in his career and who he likely would vouch for if he was asked who his ideal coach would be. Knoblauch's name has been around for the previous low points of Oilers coaching, and think it is obvious why. Connor brown for sure was a guy McDavid vouched for and his history with McDavid is even further back than the last time McDavid played under Knoblauch.

Everyone in this org is just reaching out hoping for some kind of magic to happen to compensate for poor management, poor coaching, poor play. Personally I think it makes total sense they would start to try to reach back into a McDavid's happy Jr days now and all the mentors that helped him grow from a young super talent into a mature pro. Not many places left to reach. Well, at least when the owner has been so unwilling to get serious about how management is run. Same mentality of a coach that just endlessly blends lines because they don't really have confidence in how certain players will compliment eachother. Just try stuff, hoping for a miracle to appear that you can ride and get back to the motivational quotes to keep things rolling. Or an owner that thinks hiring friends that tell him what he wants to hear will lead to success, and if it's not just gotta add more friends and friends of those friends and eventually it will work out.

There was an article last week suggesting that the team kept Foegele because McDavid talked to the management about how important a player he is to the group and asked them to keep him.

That kind of thing is somewhat unhealthy, but probably happens to some extent everywhere (with management deciding when to listen and when not to). The fact that the team lets that stuff get out to the media though is just brutal. Shows just a total lack of sense - or an actual willingness to push the blame for management decisions on their best player (which might actually show LESS sense still).

This isn't an organization that has a plan. They have no idea how to be successful, and they just stumble around blindly hoping that they get lucky. Holland trotted out all the excuses today - they went far the last couple years. They've won more games than almost anyone the last couple years. They lost to the Cup champs the last couple of years. That's all in defence of his record though - he's telling us that at the same time as he's firing the coach that was behind the bench for all those games. He did say the word "decision" a lot though, so you know he's serious about that - even if the organization isn't serious about winning.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827038 is a reply to message #827000 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rishaug confirming that Coffey's roll as assistant is only temporary.. which make sense.. I doubt the guy wants to be on the road all year doing an NHL coaching gig at this point in his life...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827039 is a reply to message #827038 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:59

Rishaug confirming that Coffey's roll as assistant is only temporary.. which make sense.. I doubt the guy wants to be on the road all year doing an NHL coaching gig at this point in his life...

Training wheels!!!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827040 is a reply to message #827039 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 17:03

Training wheels!!!

When your training wheels probably also need training wheels.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827042 is a reply to message #827040 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 16:42

Training wheels!!!

I’m guessing Coffey at some point starts hating it and Knobs hires an assistant of his choice.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827043 is a reply to message #827042 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 17:12

Training wheels!!!

I’m guessing Coffey at some point starts hating it and Knobs hires an assistant of his choice.

Steve Smith Part II!
(he's been Knobbie's assistant in Hartford (NYR farm team) for 3 years..)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827049 is a reply to message #827043 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 17:47

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 November 2023 17:12

Training wheels!!!

Steve Smith Part II!
(he's been Knobbie's assistant in Hartford (NYR farm team) for 3 years..)

If he brings him in because they had a good thing going… after Knobs proves himself… I can maybe live with it.

Re: Kris Knoblauch hired as head coach [message #827050 is a reply to message #827049 ]
Sun, 12 November 2023 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Who was Connor’s GM in junior? I want to get ahead of the curve for when Holland is let go.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Next Topic:Pregame: Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca