F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Campbell Waived
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Campbell Waived [message #826751]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:05 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

https://x.com/edmontonoilers/status/1721965408981532830?s=46 &t=TluP5bmYzF23LCu_ZAlu5Q

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826752 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

WOW! I didn't think it would actually happen. Pathetic it had to come to this but something had to give. More needs to happen. The AHL goalies can't be worse.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826757 is a reply to message #826752 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 12:09

WOW! I didn't think it would actually happen. Pathetic it had to come to this but something had to give. More needs to happen. The AHL goalies can't be worse.

They can be much much worse. We’re going to get an AHL goalie with an AHL defense facing NHL shooters. It could be magical!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826753 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

So how much cap is Holland freeing up? According to this, we only get $1,125,000 in cap relief (pro rated).

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/minimum-nhl-salary-buried-c ap-hit

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826754 is a reply to message #826753 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 12:10

So how much cap is Holland freeing up? According to this, we only get $1,125,000 in cap relief (pro rated).

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/minimum-nhl-salary-buried-c ap-hit

After they call up say Pickard to replace Campbell, they get about 387.5K

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826755 is a reply to message #826754 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Wasn’t expecting that

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826758 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Well that’s good.

Clean house or bust

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826762 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Calvin Pickard to the rescue 😬
I’m happy this move was done first but damn a buy out for Campbell would be like 6 years and I haven’t seen yet what it would cost but I’m sure that would be ugly…
Can we offload Campbell in a trade to Arizona 😅

Had a look at it and we save money the first 3 years then $1.5Mill dead cap last 3 years.. so it’s not terrible.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2023 12:45]

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826764 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

They are expected to bring up Pickard…the Condors twitter experts think Rodrigue is the better option.

Clean house or bust

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826766 is a reply to message #826764 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 12:59

They are expected to bring up Pickard…the Condors twitter experts think Rodrigue is the better option.

They need that veteran presence!

Seriously though, it can't be a last ditch effort to save an all or nothing season with a rookie and sophomore tender.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826767 is a reply to message #826766 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:03

Seriously though, it can't be a last ditch effort to save an all or nothing season with a rookie and sophomore tender.

Imagine the relief if one of these AHL goalies wins a game for us and looks good. They should immediately extend Holland another 5 years if it happens.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826769 is a reply to message #826767 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:04

Imagine the relief if one of these AHL goalies wins a game for us and looks good. They should immediately extend Holland another 5 years if it happens.

Hilarious reminder: Ken Holland was paid 25 million dollars to sign Jack Campbell to a 25 million dollar contract.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826770 is a reply to message #826769 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:14

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:04

Hilarious reminder: Ken Holland was paid 25 million dollars to sign Jack Campbell to a 25 million dollar contract.

Holland can now earn his $5M this year by finding us the next Ben Scrivezina.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826773 is a reply to message #826766 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

The stats would suggest trying the rookie and the sophomore is probably more likely to work. The last time that Pickard was above .900 in any NHL season was 2016-17 when he played 50 of his 116 NHL games.

In the seven years since, he’s seen a small amount of NHL action in every year - 30 games over that span starting 19. He’s gone 8-10 in that time and his stats are miserable - his save percentage is .866.

There is nothing in that resume that should make you think Pickard is anything beyond a bandaid solution here - unless you think his few AHL starts this year are an indication that he’s really put the work in to turn his game around…kind of like how Campbell fixed his game over this summer…

Rodrigue might fail. Pickard almost certainly will, so I know who I would call up.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826778 is a reply to message #826773 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 12:35

The stats would suggest trying the rookie and the sophomore is probably more likely to work. The last time that Pickard was above .900 in any NHL season was 2016-17 when he played 50 of his 116 NHL games.

In the seven years since, he’s seen a small amount of NHL action in every year - 30 games over that span starting 19. He’s gone 8-10 in that time and his stats are miserable - his save percentage is .866.

There is nothing in that resume that should make you think Pickard is anything beyond a bandaid solution here - unless you think his few AHL starts this year are an indication that he’s really put the work in to turn his game around…kind of like how Campbell fixed his game over this summer…

Rodrigue might fail. Pickard almost certainly will, so I know who I would call up.

I would be a little concerned with putting Rodrigue in front of this gong show of a defence. He has shown continual improvement and I don’t want to ruin it just yet. Feed Pickard to the wolves. It should be a good indicator of whether the majority of the blame lies with the defense or the goalie. You can be sure that he will have a high effort level.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826781 is a reply to message #826778 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Steve wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:56

I would be a little concerned with putting Rodrigue in front of this gong show of a defence. He has shown continual improvement and I don’t want to ruin it just yet. Feed Pickard to the wolves. It should be a good indicator of whether the majority of the blame lies with the defense or the goalie. You can be sure that he will have a high effort level.

The thing is, the success of this season is more important than anything else. It is in the Oilers best interest to show Leon and Connor that Edmonton is the place to be when their contracts are up, and if that means Rodrigue has to be put out there because there is no better option to get wins right now, that’s the way it is. There is no more time to take the long term view on prospects, draft picks, and assets. Whatever increases chance of winning the next game is what should happen. If that means the development of Rodrigue, Lavoie, Broberg etc is not what was originally planned, so be it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826782 is a reply to message #826781 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 15:20

Steve wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:56

The thing is, the success of this season is more important than anything else. It is in the Oilers best interest to show Leon and Connor that Edmonton is the place to be when their contracts are up, and if that means Rodrigue has to be put out there because there is no better option to get wins right now, that’s the way it is. There is no more time to take the long term view on prospects, draft picks, and assets. Whatever increases chance of winning the next game is what should happen. If that means the development of Rodrigue, Lavoie, Broberg etc is not what was originally planned, so be it.

I actually forgot McDavid and Drai both had career seasons last year. Look at me just taking them for granted like Katz and Oilers management does :(

Now McDavid is all banged up. Drai looks depressed probably thinking about how uncertain his future is with a potential negotiation coming up and all the stress of how huge or disastrous this season can be for the group of bros.

Feels like last year was actually the year we needed to have all our ducks in a row. Messed up on goaltending, and having a solid RHD with Nurse, wingers were useless in the playoffs because none of them can be heads up carrying pucks and make plays 5v5. Fixed none of it (hoped busted Connor brown would magically be a 30+ goal guy again, which doesn't really count as a real attempt), and now everything dips hard.

Someone high up must have got a sense of the potential mess, so, instead of booting Holland and getting someone that could actually solve problems, we get Connor McDavid's ex-agent to lead hockey ops as a lame backup plan to try to save the McDavid era ending. Ridiculous org, seriously.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826786 is a reply to message #826782 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Definitely last year was it, and this is the next best year.

Don’t look now but Hyman, Kane, Nuge, and Ekholm are all 30+ at this moment and signed for a while time. These are going to be big problems.

Future is very bleak if we don’t get our crap together in this moment.

Clean house or bust

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826787 is a reply to message #826782 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

It is hilarious that Holland still has a job after such a massive mistake. Now the team are looking to this guy to fix it? This season has the feel of pre-2015 misery or the disastrous last half-season of Chia’s tenure as GM.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826765 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

lol

How do you not fire people if we are pushed to waiving our big ticket goalie pickup that was supposed to be a key to our generational talent getting a cup.

Shameful results by Holland and our pro scouts. And we're here expecting the same people to find the solution.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826785 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Worst part is the inevitable buyout next summer won't be clean due to signing bonus'. A six year buyout with year 2 and 3 being over $2 million dead cap each.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826789 is a reply to message #826785 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

I’d also argue the cherry on top of this fecal sundae if the fact that no matter what goalie they bring in or call up, they will be broken by Dustin Schwartz. And when all goaltenders eventually leave the organization, they will land anywhere with a decent goalie coach and play better. It’s a kobyashi maru, as Spock says. Unwinnable sutuation.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826808 is a reply to message #826789 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

Hire Smitty. Smitty had Sean Burke in Phoenix, who is now the goalie coach in Vegas. He is a goalie whisperer as far as I can tell.

Oh yeah, and Burke went to Montreal for that cup run to work with Price.

Then Burke went to Vegas after. And there was a lot of questions about Vegas going into last year about their goal tending. He did a very good job with Thompson & his old Coyote Aiden Hill.

Burke has a track record of doing well with goalies. If Smitty picked up his mentor Burke's methods in Phoenix, I believe that would be a step in the right direction.

Just sayin

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826794 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A good visualization of what almost all analytics people were saying about Campbell and his weaknesses.

So, if the Oilers have any analysis at all before giving a player 5x5, they concluded that someone with a history of being bad at saving high danger chances and has been very inconsistent his whole career was the man for this team. Our team with our long history of defensive brain farts and running goalies confidence into the ground.

As fans all we could do was hope Campbell became something he wasn't, but it didn't happen.

https://i.ibb.co/1rzRKfS/20231108-090932.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826807 is a reply to message #826794 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Campbell cleared. No surprise but a guy can dream can't he.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826812 is a reply to message #826751 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

2m
🔁 #Oilers roster moves 🔁

🔹Goaltender Calvin Pickard has been recalled from the @Condors
🔸Goaltender Jack Campbell has cleared waivers & been assigned to Bakersfield.

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826814 is a reply to message #826812 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm just not sure Skinner and Pickard is a good or better goaltending tandem.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826815 is a reply to message #826814 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 14:07

Historical stats would suggest that they are, in fact, not better.

I'm not sure that subbing in another sub-par goaltender is going to do anything to prove whether defence, system, or coaching is the issue with the goalies here - because if we just have another guy who only makes saves at the same rate as a 1980s netminder, then we're still going to struggle.

One would hope that they'll be able to beat the Sharks tomorrow though - albeit a Sharks team riding high after their first win of the season.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826818 is a reply to message #826815 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

A 31 year old Pickard coming out of the AHL screams ‘overriped’ and primed for a Cup run.

It sounds and feels like this is just the first checkers move in acquiring another goalie. I want to believe that we can grab another high caliber player who fills a need, and the move comes out of left field, but I have strong doubts. Edmonton has no money, no power or position in any roster moves.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826821 is a reply to message #826814 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Would Pickard getting a 59 save shutout against the Sharks change your mind?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826823 is a reply to message #826821 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd start Pickard against the Sharks. Sometimes having a young goalie in makes teams buckle down more for them. I would assume he would be excited so maybe having a guy getting a start after a long time would bring some energy to the team.

Plus Skinner hasn't played well enough where he's outright earned being the starter. There is just no one else better at the moment. He sure as heck didn't play well against the Canucks to say he should play this one.

Before getting sent down, Campbell had a .873 and in his last game, he was .853. Skinner is rocking a .856 and against the Canucks he had a .833. I see it as they got nothing to lose by playing Pickard. I don't think he can be worse than how Skinner or Campbell has played.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 November 2023 16:45]

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826828 is a reply to message #826823 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 17:43

I'd start Pickard against the Sharks. Sometimes having a young goalie in makes teams buckle down more for them.

Yep, nothing motivates a team then the fresh faced youthfulness of a 31 year old.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826831 is a reply to message #826828 ]
Thu, 09 November 2023 00:53 Go to previous message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 23:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 17:43

I'd start Pickard against the Sharks. Sometimes having a young goalie in makes teams buckle down more for them.

Yep, nothing motivates a team then the fresh faced youthfulness of a 31 year old.

Fun fact: in his last NHL appearance, Calvin Pickard allowed goals #8-11 in and 11-2 drubbing by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

His last start was a 3-2 OTW though so maybe as long as he starts in goal we’re fine?

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826826 is a reply to message #826821 ]
Wed, 08 November 2023 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 16:36

No! The Oilers need consistency more than anything else. If the Oilers could get 3 goals against on 25 shots for the next 5 games they probably start to crawl back into the playoff race. The last thing we need to watch is a roller coaster ride where the organization starts making decision based on the hope that a new savior is emerging.

Their defense, depth, and goaltending isn't good enough to want shutouts. Just avoid giving up the 4th goals. Try to win 4-3

Re: Campbell Waived [message #826830 is a reply to message #826826 ]
Thu, 09 November 2023 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 19:06

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2023 16:36

No! The Oilers need consistency more than anything else. If the Oilers could get 3 goals against on 25 shots for the next 5 games they probably start to crawl back into the playoff race. The last thing we need to watch is a roller coaster ride where the organization starts making decision based on the hope that a new savior is emerging.

Their defense, depth, and goaltending isn't good enough to want shutouts. Just avoid giving up the 4th goals. Try to win 4-3

All those words and you forgot the two most important: box checked.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #12)
Next Topic:Forum Issues
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca