Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 69%
Vancouver to win: 31%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826714 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

That was ... a typical Oilers game this year

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826716 is a reply to message #826714 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 22:44

Completely disagree. Finally some effin give a flip. Played like crap after Skinner decided he wasn’t going to make a save, but I’d rather see some emotion from this club.

Outcome was on par for this year, but this is either going to turn the club in a positive direction or a complete tailspin. I’m happy to see some GAF.

Let’s see a line brawl.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826718 is a reply to message #826716 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 22:48

Completely disagree. Finally some effin give a flip. Played like crap after Skinner decided he wasn’t going to make a save, but I’d rather see some emotion from this club.

Outcome was on par for this year, but this is either going to turn the club in a positive direction or a complete tailspin. I’m happy to see some GAF.

Let’s see a line brawl.

I thought it was pretty mild to be honest.

Well I guess we should do this approach.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826719 is a reply to message #826716 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 22:48

Let’s see a line brawl.

Think the bit of frustration may root more from embarrassment to get spanked by the Canucks again, and possibly getting another coach fired. True though, that made it not a totally typical game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826717 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I won’t take this team seriously until Ryan Nugent Hopkins drops an F bomb after the game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826720 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

It's pretty funny how whiny Bob is right now. He sounds hurt to me.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826721 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

lol, both our goalies have almost identical horrible stats.

I think it's time to make Dustin Schwartz the GM honestly.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826722 is a reply to message #826721 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 23:04

lol, both our goalies have almost identical horrible stats.

I think it's time to make Dustin Schwartz the GM honestly.

I think we're at the 'no bad ideas' part of the process.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826723 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Sure hope the Sharks don’t start their backup goalie.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826724 is a reply to message #826723 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

lmao wow. Who had this start on the bingo card

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826729 is a reply to message #826724 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

I wasn't feeling too positive to start the season (and haven't been posting much because of that) because the basic dysfunctions on the team had not been addressed in the off. Bad doesn't just go away on its own, it has to be replaced by good. When Warren Foegele is your best player...well, if you gotta ask...

The speech by the GM in the dressing room in Slap Shot comes to mind right now.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826725 is a reply to message #826712 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Wow. Spector hammered Woody pretty hard about Bouchard and accountability that Woody keeps preaching. I was actually proud of Mark. Woody wanted to talk about how great Draisaitl back checked on it more than anything it appeared.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826726 is a reply to message #826725 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 23:34

Wow. Spector hammered Woody pretty hard about Bouchard and accountability that Woody keeps preaching. I was actually proud of Mark. Woody wanted to talk about how great Draisaitl back checked on it more than anything it appeared.

I’m not a fan of coaches crapping on players in the media. I know Spector likes that - as long as it’s one of his designated whipping boys, and because he’s already written his hatchet job article for the next day and is just looking for quotes to fill it out.

That’s no defence of Bouchard - the whole defence has been brutal lately. But Spector has decided on singling out one player and it’s the same type he always does. Nurse missed guys tonight. Ceci missed his guy on goals. Desharnais has been awful for several games. But Spector is writing an article about Bouchard so that’s who he goes after. Don’t expect him to ever say a word about Ekholm missing his guy (which he did for a goal against tonight) or about Desharnais getting torched for the millionth time. Screw that guy.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826727 is a reply to message #826726 ]
Mon, 06 November 2023 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 23:42

I’m not a fan of coaches crapping on players in the media. I know Spector likes that - as long as it’s one of his designated whipping boys, and because he’s already written his hatchet job article for the next day and is just looking for quotes to fill it out.

That’s no defence of Bouchard - the whole defence has been brutal lately. But Spector has decided on singling out one player and it’s the same type he always does. Nurse missed guys tonight. Ceci missed his guy on goals. Desharnais has been awful for several games. But Spector is writing an article about Bouchard so that’s who he goes after. Don’t expect him to ever say a word about Ekholm missing his guy (which he did for a goal against tonight) or about Desharnais getting torched for the millionth time. Screw that guy.

I felt he was singling out the coach that keeps talking about accountability, but never backing it up. Most Edmonton media is too chicken bleep to task a coach like that.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2023 23:50]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826728 is a reply to message #826727 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 23:48

I felt he was singling out the coach that keeps talking about accountability, but never backing it up. Most Edmonton media is too chicken bleep to task a coach like that.

Spector is only asking because Bouch is his current target as a scapegoat, so kills a lot of the weight of his question, as if he actually cares about accountability across the team or anywhere else in the org. He's just trying to throw Woodcroft's words back at him to try to get some bad things said about Bouch.

Bouch is literally our only RHD that can make a pass. And by a good margin the best puck mover on this team. And his ice time has actually been ramping up this year, he's been playing more than Nurse lately, and he's not exactly a seasoned vet. He'll never be great defensively, but he'll always be useful to push play offensively and on the PP. Ideally he is playing less, but this D group is not that good. Ceci makes the same brain farts with zero silver linings. Desharnais did everything he could in this game to completely tank it. Own goal right away after our 1st, and instant penalty to kill momentum from our 2nd goal. He was completely lost defending on the 2nd Canucks goal too.

Like it or not, we are depending on Bouch a heck of a lot now, and there will be lots of growing pains with the responsiblity. Especially with Ekholm off his game too.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2023 00:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826731 is a reply to message #826727 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 06 November 2023 23:48

Like always though with Spector it’s always punching down. He feels Woodcroft is on his last legs and he’s not a veteran coach who’ll always give him a good scoop or quote like McLellan would so he is fine to take a run at him now.

Let’s see if he says a damn word to or about Holland or Lowe or Nicholson any time soon.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826733 is a reply to message #826731 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I watched the Woody comments and I actually appreciate his position. Top scoring defenceman is going to be important to help you claw back in the game. Benching guys for mistakes doesn’t actually fix much of anything.

And I appreciate his defence of his goalies too - even as I think they’re a huge part of the team’s failures this year. There’s nothing positive that comes from a coach running down his players to the media - especially to hacks like Spector. I appreciate him having his players’ backs in those scrums. He can scream and shout at them or whatever behind closed doors but outside that room? His job isn’t to provide soundbites and helpful quotes for the local hatchetman.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826734 is a reply to message #826733 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

That was an absolute gong show to witness live.

McDavid looks… average. Nowhere near what he is. Some kind of injury preventing him from accelerating.

Draisatl looked like he was trying to win the game on his own, in a bad way. Just going for shots, not bothering to pass or use teammates. And gliding everywhere.

Ekholm looks lost and off balance. Looked behind the play. Some kind of injury that has knocked him down a few notches.

Nurse looked okay. One of few players giving a care.

Our defensive end coverage is a joke. More often than not the only player in our slot was a Canuck just waiting for a freebie easy shot. And when we get the puck, we were pathetic at clearing the zone.

Skinner… just not good enough for where the rest of the team is. It’s pointless finger pointing at the goalies. They are who they are. The guy that picked them on the other hand…

Holland needs to be gone for spending $8 million on two goalies and neither being even backup quality. Woodcroft will unfairly catch the bullet though.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2023 00:52]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826735 is a reply to message #826733 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 00:27

I watched the Woody comments and I actually appreciate his position. Top scoring defenceman is going to be important to help you claw back in the game. Benching guys for mistakes doesn’t actually fix much of anything.

And I appreciate his defence of his goalies too - even as I think they’re a huge part of the team’s failures this year. There’s nothing positive that comes from a coach running down his players to the media - especially to hacks like Spector. I appreciate him having his players’ backs in those scrums. He can scream and shout at them or whatever behind closed doors but outside that room? His job isn’t to provide soundbites and helpful quotes for the local hatchetman.

Sorry, but I find myself wondering if part of the problem is a coach that is waaaaay too soft. I fear he bookends everything negative with careful positives in the room like he does outside of it. Yeah, I hate Spector too, but I’m getting tired of seeing players repeat the same dumb mistakes night after night from the stars down to the Vincents. Maybe other teams have players throughout entire line up that keep repeating the same dumb mistakes and reacting passively, but are winning hockey games, but I’m just not noticing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826736 is a reply to message #826735 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Not even fun to watch at this point. It’s just sad

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826737 is a reply to message #826736 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Sums it up nicely
https://i.postimg.cc/7PVYxXX0/IMG-2368.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826739 is a reply to message #826735 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 00:51

Sorry, but I find myself wondering if part of the problem is a coach that is waaaaay too soft. I fear he bookends everything negative with careful positives in the room like he does outside of it. Yeah, I hate Spector too, but I’m getting tired of seeing players repeat the same dumb mistakes night after night from the stars down to the Vincents. Maybe other teams have players throughout entire line up that keep repeating the same dumb mistakes and reacting passively, but are winning hockey games, but I’m just not noticing.

I agree with you. I'm not much of a fan of Spector. He's become more of an entertainment value guy in that he goes to try and shock/stir the pot. Every market has them. That being said, I appreciate him asking Woody about Bouchard and I 100% agree the coach brings ZERO accountability.

I have no doubt in my mind the coaches have talked to Bouchard about plays like that MANY times. It wouldn't shock me if a guy like Ekholm who gets hung out to dry by him has talked to him about it. The message isn't getting to him. Either Bouchard is just stupid which might be the actual case OR he doesn't give a damn. When your team is down a goal, when your team is struggling, when your goalies aren't playing well, it clicks into most people's mind that maybe I need to be a little more careful here. For Bouchard, he has ZERO defensive awareness and that thought NEVER comes to mind. All he thinks about in my opinion is about scoring and getting his. The pinch he did was so LOW percentage of working, anyone with half a brain wouldn't do it. Then you factor in how nonchalantly he did it and how hard he did to avoid ANY kind of contact, then the icing on the cake is he slowly skates back like he's going for a public skate. If you are going to be stupid and do that pinch, then at least pinch down freaking hard, fast and if you miss the puck, you better get part of the body. He did ZERO of that.

So then when asked about it, Woody talks about how he's one of the best offensive dmen so they can't bench him to send a message. You are losing games because your team makes too many mistakes, that being a glaring example. I am sure you have talked to him many times, you have worked on it in practice, you have had video sessions with him. HE's not changing how he plays, the message isn't sinking in. So all you did even though I get you need some offense is tell him "do what you want Evan, I'm good with that play, carry on". Why the hell would a player who clearly either is stupid, doesn't give a damn or probably a combination of both change his behavior if he doesn't have too? Most human beings are a create of habit and at times a bit lazy. We don't change ANYTHING unless we have too because it'sway easier to do the same thing over and over again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826741 is a reply to message #826739 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 09:09

I agree with you. I'm not much of a fan of Spector. He's become more of an entertainment value guy in that he goes to try and shock/stir the pot. Every market has them. That being said, I appreciate him asking Woody about Bouchard and I 100% agree the coach brings ZERO accountability.

I have no doubt in my mind the coaches have talked to Bouchard about plays like that MANY times. It wouldn't shock me if a guy like Ekholm who gets hung out to dry by him has talked to him about it. The message isn't getting to him. Either Bouchard is just stupid which might be the actual case OR he doesn't give a damn. When your team is down a goal, when your team is struggling, when your goalies aren't playing well, it clicks into most people's mind that maybe I need to be a little more careful here. For Bouchard, he has ZERO defensive awareness and that thought NEVER comes to mind. All he thinks about in my opinion is about scoring and getting his. The pinch he did was so LOW percentage of working, anyone with half a brain wouldn't do it. Then you factor in how nonchalantly he did it and how hard he did to avoid ANY kind of contact, then the icing on the cake is he slowly skates back like he's going for a public skate. If you are going to be stupid and do that pinch, then at least pinch down freaking hard, fast and if you miss the puck, you better get part of the body. He did ZERO of that.

So then when asked about it, Woody talks about how he's one of the best offensive dmen so they can't bench him to send a message. You are losing games because your team makes too many mistakes, that being a glaring example. I am sure you have talked to him many times, you have worked on it in practice, you have had video sessions with him. HE's not changing how he plays, the message isn't sinking in. So all you did even though I get you need some offense is tell him "do what you want Evan, I'm good with that play, carry on". Why the hell would a player who clearly either is stupid, doesn't give a damn or probably a combination of both change his behavior if he doesn't have too? Most human beings are a create of habit and at times a bit lazy. We don't change ANYTHING unless we have too because it'sway easier to do the same thing over and over again.

It's pretty clear to me that the team isn't responding to the coaching staff. I'm not sure how much more evidence needs to be compiled here. So, if reporters lob soft balls and don't call a coach out everyone calls them lapdogs towing the line. But if they do call the coach out, like Spector was calling out Woodcroft last night, it's just Spector trying to run a player out of town? It's a bit too convenient of a stance in my opinion.

I loathe Spector. But I'm not going loathe him more for calling out a coach who says the same thing into a microphone loss after loss, but does something else behind the bench night after night. How should he hold players accountable? Because whatever his measure is for creating accountability in that room clearly isn't working. Is a player sitting a few shifts the end of the world. God help them if that's the barometer.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826742 is a reply to message #826741 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 10:10

It's pretty clear to me that the team isn't responding to the coaching staff. I'm not sure how much more evidence needs to be compiled here. So, if reporters lob soft balls and don't call a coach out everyone calls them lapdogs towing the line. But if they do call the coach out, like Spector was calling out Woodcroft last night, it's just Spector trying to run a player out of town? It's a bit too convenient of a stance in my opinion.

I loathe Spector. But I'm not going loathe him more for calling out a coach who says the same thing into a microphone loss after loss, but does something else behind the bench night after night. How should he hold players accountable? Because whatever his measure is for creating accountability in that room clearly isn't working. Is a player sitting a few shifts the end of the world. God help them if that's the barometer.

I don't expect nor do I think it's a good idea for a coach to shred his team in front of the media but at the same time, you have to hold the players accountable. Ice time is really the only thing a coach has and usually what gets players attention.

I completely understand that Woody maybe can't healthy scratch a Bouchard or whoever but you can sit him for a few shifts or a period to get the message across.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826745 is a reply to message #826742 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Lol - 2 wins through 11 games. 31st place in the league.

The season is not over yet, but it’s fast approaching, and there is no cavalry on the way.

Going to need around 90ish points from the 71 remaining games. That would be about 63% of available points, so roughly a 104 points season pace. Anyone betting the farm on an Oilers post season appearance?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826746 is a reply to message #826745 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 10:28

Lol - 2 wins through 11 games. 31st place in the league.

The season is not over yet, but it’s fast approaching, and there is no cavalry on the way.

Going to need around 90ish points from the 71 remaining games. That would be about 63% of available points, so roughly a 104 points season pace. Anyone betting the farm on an Oilers post season appearance?

I'd still put a sheckle on it. I think McDavid can drag this corpse along and make up the six points they're behind. Unless he's hurt.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826744 is a reply to message #826741 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 10:10

They don't have the tools for the job. You can yell at a wrench all you want, but if you're using it as a hammer you're just going to break the wrench, bend the nail, and dent the wall. You can't even tell the apprentice to walk his lazy backside over to the toolbox because it's bouncing down the Henday because Holland left the tailgate open.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826743 is a reply to message #826739 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

They can't change anything. The coach has no other options. Sure, you want to bench Bouchard, that's fine, but who do you want playing in that spot? Ceci, Kulak, Nurse, or the other guy? Those are your only choices. The Oilers have left themselves no options, no back up, no contingency. I agree with you, Bouchard needs 2 games in the pressbox and a week without cherry time on the PP. They don't have the bodies to do that. And because of the bind Holland put Woodcroft in, he can't take the long view where they lose a game by cuting off their nose to spite the face. Woodcroft has to win and he has to win now or he's going to get fired... and he's going to get fired. So what's the expectation from Spector here? He thinks Woodcroft should sit what is actually the best option on the backend for a comeback while waiting around to get fired by stubbornly holding the moral high ground? Sheer lunacy.

Now, if Spector was a decent reporter he could ask how to impose responsibility when he has literally no other options since his 7th defenseman was sent down because the donkey GM put him in a situation where injuries to Connor Brown and Mattias Janmark could wreck the lineup, but that would require intellectual honesty and the Oilers can't allow that.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826747 is a reply to message #826743 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 10:23

They can't change anything. The coach has no other options. Sure, you want to bench Bouchard, that's fine, but who do you want playing in that spot? Ceci, Kulak, Nurse, or the other guy? Those are your only choices. The Oilers have left themselves no options, no back up, no contingency. I agree with you, Bouchard needs 2 games in the pressbox and a week without cherry time on the PP. They don't have the bodies to do that. And because of the bind Holland put Woodcroft in, he can't take the long view where they lose a game by cuting off their nose to spite the face. Woodcroft has to win and he has to win now or he's going to get fired... and he's going to get fired. So what's the expectation from Spector here? He thinks Woodcroft should sit what is actually the best option on the backend for a comeback while waiting around to get fired by stubbornly holding the moral high ground? Sheer lunacy.

Now, if Spector was a decent reporter he could ask how to impose responsibility when he has literally no other options since his 7th defenseman was sent down because the donkey GM put him in a situation where injuries to Connor Brown and Mattias Janmark could wreck the lineup, but that would require intellectual honesty and the Oilers can't allow that.

Why can't you play someone else in Bouchards spots for a couple of shifts to get the message across? We aren't talking scratching him for games, a couple of shifts. Take Bouchard off the PP for a couple of times. Ekholm scored a PP goal last night. Nurse has done it in the past. It's not like they are completely void of anyone on the team that can't pass or shoot the puck for a PP or 2 here.

Go down the list. If Nurse or Nuge or Leon or McD, Hyman, Kane, who McLeod who whoever tanks a play. Then sit them for a couple of shifts. They talk about not playing to their standard. They are playing to their standard. Their standard right now is to play like crap, trying is optional, defensive is optional and if you make a mistake, out you go next shift. Then stand in front of the media and complain about not playing the right way, needing to be better, etc, etc. Rinse and repeat. Then go blame the #6/7 dman who barely plays or the 11th forward who barely plays and rip him for being lousy when Bouchard, Nuge, McD, Leon, etc are the ones making all the mistakes.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826748 is a reply to message #826747 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 10:54

Why can't you play someone else in Bouchards spots for a couple of shifts to get the message across? We aren't talking scratching him for games, a couple of shifts. Take Bouchard off the PP for a couple of times. Ekholm scored a PP goal last night. Nurse has done it in the past. It's not like they are completely void of anyone on the team that can't pass or shoot the puck for a PP or 2 here.

Go down the list. If Nurse or Nuge or Leon or McD, Hyman, Kane, who McLeod who whoever tanks a play. Then sit them for a couple of shifts. They talk about not playing to their standard. They are playing to their standard. Their standard right now is to play like crap, trying is optional, defensive is optional and if you make a mistake, out you go next shift. Then stand in front of the media and complain about not playing the right way, needing to be better, etc, etc. Rinse and repeat. Then go blame the #6/7 dman who barely plays or the 11th forward who barely plays and rip him for being lousy when Bouchard, Nuge, McD, Leon, etc are the ones making all the mistakes.

At the point in the game where Bouchard made that mistake there were only a handful of shifts left. I agree with you on the PP, sit him for that. Ekholm and Nurse can do PP1 work in the short term. On even strength though? I don't think you can give up the puck moving. Ekholm is fine, Nurse has proven he can't do it well enough. The other guys might as well use wooden sticks.

And again, Woody is trying not to get fired here. He absolutely needs the offense to outscore the problems. The situation isn't ideal for a principled stand.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826749 is a reply to message #826748 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 11:25

At the point in the game where Bouchard made that mistake there were only a handful of shifts left. I agree with you on the PP, sit him for that. Ekholm and Nurse can do PP1 work in the short term. On even strength though? I don't think you can give up the puck moving. Ekholm is fine, Nurse has proven he can't do it well enough. The other guys might as well use wooden sticks.

And again, Woody is trying not to get fired here. He absolutely needs the offense to outscore the problems. The situation isn't ideal for a principled stand.

That idiotic mistakes isn't a new mistake he's done AND it was extremely costly. It took the game from 3-2 to 4-2 when it didn't have to happen. Being down only 1 is WAY different than 2.

So when is a good time to bench a guy then to try and get the point across that he can't keep doing that stuff, it's costing the team big time? If the Oilers happen to be up in the score against the Sharks, do you expect Woody to say "hey Bouch, remember that screw up 3 days ago, now I am going to bench you for it'?

I get what you are saying but a big part of the problem the Oilers have is they making very costly mistakes, they keep repeating them and they tend to be the same guys who unfortunately are key players. There are other issues but if they could clean up the self inflicted, very correctable wounds, that would help but clearly pointing it out on video after, isn't working. So when is a good time to do something else?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826750 is a reply to message #826749 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 11:39

That idiotic mistakes isn't a new mistake he's done AND it was extremely costly. It took the game from 3-2 to 4-2 when it didn't have to happen. Being down only 1 is WAY different than 2.

So when is a good time to bench a guy then to try and get the point across that he can't keep doing that stuff, it's costing the team big time? If the Oilers happen to be up in the score against the Sharks, do you expect Woody to say "hey Bouch, remember that screw up 3 days ago, now I am going to bench you for it'?

I get what you are saying but a big part of the problem the Oilers have is they making very costly mistakes, they keep repeating them and they tend to be the same guys who unfortunately are key players. There are other issues but if they could clean up the self inflicted, very correctable wounds, that would help but clearly pointing it out on video after, isn't working. So when is a good time to do something else?

From owner on down to the last player on the roster.

"a big part of the problem the Oilers have is they making very costly mistakes, they keep repeating them and they tend to be the same guys"

Expecting a coach you're about to fire to bench his only puck moving option on the back end when the need to score goals is absurd. The hard truth is Holland left Bouchard with no options if anything went wrong this season. So when things went wrong you and I are left watching a team that can't do anything about it. Which might be the best argument for firing Woodcroft. At least the new guy won't have to worry about being fired.

Editing to add: I also don't think benching Bouchard changes how he plays all that much. He's going to be who he's going to be. It's the same as expecting Nurse to be smarter or McLeod to be more aggressive or Puljujarvi to be normal.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2023 11:53]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826756 is a reply to message #826750 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 11:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 11:39

From owner on down to the last player on the roster.

"a big part of the problem the Oilers have is they making very costly mistakes, they keep repeating them and they tend to be the same guys"

Expecting a coach you're about to fire to bench his only puck moving option on the back end when the need to score goals is absurd. The hard truth is Holland left Bouchard with no options if anything went wrong this season. So when things went wrong you and I are left watching a team that can't do anything about it. Which might be the best argument for firing Woodcroft. At least the new guy won't have to worry about being fired.

Editing to add: I also don't think benching Bouchard changes how he plays all that much. He's going to be who he's going to be. It's the same as expecting Nurse to be smarter or McLeod to be more aggressive or Puljujarvi to be normal.

I'll put it another way. If Bouchard takes a shot off the foot and he goes down the tunnel for a part of a period to shake it off, does that mean the Oilers should call over the ref and forfeit? What is the difference? Teams will lose a player for short spurts all the time and somehow survive. I am sure the Oilers would survive if Bouchard missed a couple of shifts to maybe get his attention that he has to spot the crap he's doing.

But we apparently will never agree. I don't see how benching Bouchard for a couple of shifts to get his attention is going to cripple the team for an entire game. Good gawd.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826768 is a reply to message #826756 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 12:28

I'll put it another way. If Bouchard takes a shot off the foot and he goes down the tunnel for a part of a period to shake it off, does that mean the Oilers should call over the ref and forfeit? What is the difference? Teams will lose a player for short spurts all the time and somehow survive. I am sure the Oilers would survive if Bouchard missed a couple of shifts to maybe get his attention that he has to spot the crap he's doing.

But we apparently will never agree. I don't see how benching Bouchard for a couple of shifts to get his attention is going to cripple the team for an entire game. Good gawd.

Again, it's not the entire game. You're asking for a few shifts at a point in the game when there are only 5 shifts remaining when there are no other options. You're complaining about being dealt a 15 in blackjack and asking for a 14... at a time when the coach needs a win or he's going to get fired.

If Bouchard gets hurt, you play with what you've got. Same as when McDavid gets hurt. But its silly to think the Oilers should make themselves worse. That being said, they would have saved a lot of money by skipping the game last night and just mailing the Canucks two points.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826771 is a reply to message #826768 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:07

Again, it's not the entire game. You're asking for a few shifts at a point in the game when there are only 5 shifts remaining when there are no other options. You're complaining about being dealt a 15 in blackjack and asking for a 14... at a time when the coach needs a win or he's going to get fired.

If Bouchard gets hurt, you play with what you've got. Same as when McDavid gets hurt. But its silly to think the Oilers should make themselves worse. That being said, they would have saved a lot of money by skipping the game last night and just mailing the Canucks two points.

Well that was about as fun as banging my head against a concrete wall and the results are what I expected.

So your conclusion is you only try to correct the player from doing the same thing over and over again that is costing your team dearly when the the situation is most convenient. If a convenient situation doesn't arise, you do nothing, just keep letting it happen. Great idea. I am sure it will magically sort itself out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826772 is a reply to message #826771 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:24

Well that was about as fun as banging my head against a concrete wall and the results are what I expected.

So your conclusion is you only try to correct the player from doing the same thing over and over again that is costing your team dearly when the the situation is most convenient. If a convenient situation doesn't arise, you do nothing, just keep letting it happen. Great idea. I am sure it will magically sort itself out.

Shrug. That's the reality of the situation. The best option often is changing nothing. You're asking a coach that's about to be fired to bench his best offensive option at the time he needs offense. I don't know why you think benching a guy for 5 minutes will have a major impact in Bouchard's play, speaking of magic.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826774 is a reply to message #826772 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:33

Shrug. That's the reality of the situation. The best option often is changing nothing. You're asking a coach that's about to be fired to bench his best offensive option at the time he needs offense. I don't know why you think benching a guy for 5 minutes will have a major impact in Bouchard's play, speaking of magic.

The point is to try something different. Maybe sitting him for 3 or 4 shifts isn't the answer but what they are doing now clearly isn't working because it's the same mistake over and over again season after season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826775 is a reply to message #826774 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:41

The point is to try something different. Maybe sitting him for 3 or 4 shifts isn't the answer but what they are doing now clearly isn't working because it's the same mistake over and over again season after season.

You act like Bouchard has never been benched.

Hopefully he makes a mistake in the first period against San Jose with the Oilers up 4-1 so Woodcroft can really drive the point home Thursday. I'm sure he'll be a brand new player when the next guy takes over Sunday morning.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11) [message #826776 is a reply to message #826775 ]
Tue, 07 November 2023 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 14:16

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 November 2023 13:41

You act like Bouchard has never been benched.

Hopefully he makes a mistake in the first period against San Jose with the Oilers up 4-1 so Woodcroft can really drive the point home Thursday. I'm sure he'll be a brand new player when the next guy takes over Sunday morning.

When has he been benched this season? I fully admit, I don't remember every shift or missed shift a player has in every game so if I missed him getting benched please let me know.

Here is his ice time by game.
24:41 - team high
24:52 - team high
17:58 (Nashville game)
19:56
20:13
18:18
20:17
19:49
25:21 - team high
23:28 - team high
23:13 - team high

He averages 15 seconds on the PK so anytime his minutes are "down" they tend to have taken a few more penalties.

So point out where he's been benched this season? Looks like he's averaging north of 20 mins no matter what he does.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Forum Issues
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #11)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca