This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826527]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: g2k for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   65%
Dallas to win:   35%
17 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826533 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Go Gags go

Drai could have scored 4 easy tonight but he completely flubbed every chance.

Losing to Dallas is super expected.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826534 is a reply to message #826533 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Gagner deserved this win. Fu*k

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826536 is a reply to message #826533 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This team continues to be full of donkeys, and passengers riding the donkeys.

Nice return for Gagner though. Sam should have never left; he's our boy.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826535 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Gagner wants to be here and make a difference and it shows!!! Welcome Back!!!!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826537 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

No star for Kane.

Go EFF yourself Molson.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826538 is a reply to message #826537 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Gagner not out there for the last two minutes when he's red hot? Read what's happening and play the man. Samwise not afraid to drive the net, nothing fancy.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826539 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Holland is a failure.

Bad hire.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826540 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bouchard was awful on that fourth goal.

Did nothing. Just coasted and watched.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826542 is a reply to message #826540 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Familiar refrain. The team deserved better than they got tonight. Lots of shots, lots of chances, they outplayed Dallas for 75% of the game at least.

But...

Some mistakes on certain plays especially by defencemen, and the goalie isn't making any hard stops at all. Dallas had three great chances and scored on all of them. Plus they got a stinker on the first goal, where, yeah, Ceci is out of position, but how does Skinner not stop that shot.

At some point, our goalies have to stop some good chances. Dallas got lots of good saves and some luck tonight. We got virtually none. We could blow this whole season because of a goalie problem we knew we had last year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826543 is a reply to message #826542 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Disappointed with this loss. The Oilers were the better team for the bulk of the game even with what I thought were quietish nights from McD and Leon. Got goalied again which is happening way too much.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826544 is a reply to message #826527 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Not to be dramatic, but I find myself wondering if 97 is still not 100%.

I also find myself wondering if Brown is going on IR.

This tender tandem can’t steal a period, let alone a game.

McLeod is enraging.

This team doesn’t care about details. Bouchard was complete garbage on that 4th goal, but how come the fastest player in the NHL can’t take care of the Star on his side?

Why Gagner, the guy who scored 2 scrappy goals and was truly feeling it, not on the ice in the last 2 minutes? That’s on the coach.

Kane was great. Hammering players when the team was down 4-1 while most the team was displaying poor body language.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826545 is a reply to message #826544 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought Kane was great and has looked really good the last few games. Offensively Bouchard was great, defensively he's still a work in progress and unfortunately when he makes a mistake, its a big one that is usually a goal against.

I thought Skinner needed to have the first one and they could have used another save from him. Same story, different day. In comparison, Wedgewood stole several goals and won the Stars the game. The Oilers got a little unlucky but Wedgewood was excellent.

I would be sending Broberg down. The mistakes he's making aren't due to a rookie making mistakes because he didn't read a play properly due to a lack of experience. Last game a careless turn over, didn't get it in deep, goal against. He's getting to the point he's unplayable. I think this will be his last year as an Oilers as he will be used in a trade.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2023 08:17]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826548 is a reply to message #826545 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I don't even care that we lost. I'm just glad that 'Old man' and 'post surgery' Gagner comes in for a single game and shows up our bottom 6.
Maybe that lights a fire under the coaching staff and in turn the bottom half of this roster.

Kane griped about not getting better minutes, and might just be our best forward since then. He challenged the coach, got an opportunity to put up, and followed through. He looks like the only person (up until Gagner showed up) that gave his all every shift.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826550 is a reply to message #826548 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd be sending down Broberg. He's making mistakes on extremely basic things like dumping pucks in. He doesn't have the trust of the coaches which I don't blame them. Send him down, play him lots, maybe he can get his game going. Call up a Gleason who had a good camp and is hungry.

I'd be sending Holloway down. I like his speed but you need something from him numbers wise. If you aren't scoring, then what are you doing? He should be shooting a ton, hitting and forechecking extremely hard when the pucks aren't going in. He should be driving the net with his speed and size constantly. He's not. Call up Lavoie, send Holloway down and hopefully he can get his offensive mojo going.

Once you know what happens with Brown which sucks he got hurt because I thought he was very good last night in his limited time and I felt a goal was coming. I'd be making a call on Ryan and Janmark. Both aren't scoring. Both play similar in styles of game. Call up someone that is hungry.

I'd be having a very hard and honest conversation with McLeod. You hold out for more money thinking you are and should be paid as a 3rd line center. We talked to you about being more assertive, driving the net, finishing checks. You said it was a focus of yours in the offseason. Where is it? He's being paid to be a 3rd line center. 3rd line centers have to score some. He's got no goal, no points, 8 shots, 9 hits in 9 games. So what exactly are you doing for 2.1 mill?

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826551 is a reply to message #826550 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm so happy Brown went down.

Not happy a person got hurt, but glad an anchor is forced to not sink our boat next season. After 9 games, no points and a new injury, they couldn't possibly play him again... could they? IF he comes off LTIR (Which is where I'm assuming he's going) they would have to put him in the minors.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826552 is a reply to message #826551 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 10:41

Not happy a person got hurt, but glad an anchor is forced to not sink our boat next season. After 9 games, no points and a new injury, they couldn't possibly play him again... could they? IF he comes off LTIR (Which is where I'm assuming he's going) they would have to put him in the minors.

They absolutely would and you know they would. Look at the last two decades of this team and tell me with a straight face they wouldn't sacrifice the middle and long terms for the slightest of advantages today. It's going to happen and you're going to called overly negative for noticing.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826553 is a reply to message #826551 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Do you feel the same about McLeod?

For Brown, everyone focuses on his lack of points yet from what I have read, his numbers have been very good, he's just not getting a ton of bounces. People worry about his cap hit for next season as being the reason to get rid of him. Yet McLeod who's probably done less, has no points, doesn't have recovering from a major injury or moving to a new city, new team and new coaches, he has zero points and not contributing much, gets a free pass for the most part.

I'm not making McLeod a whipping boy but I just find it odd 1 guy gets hammered on since probably 3 games in, yet another guy gets a free pass. Let's remember also, many fans wanted the Oilers to be giving McLeod a lot more money for longer and were pissed, he got what they gave him which so far based on how he's played, he's over paid.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826554 is a reply to message #826553 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 10:53

For Brown, everyone focuses on his lack of points yet from what I have read, his numbers have been very good, he's just not getting a ton of bounces. People worry about his cap hit for next season as being the reason to get rid of him. Yet McLeod who's probably done less, has no points, doesn't have recovering from a major injury or moving to a new city, new team and new coaches, he has zero points and not contributing much, gets a free pass for the most part.

I'm not making McLeod a whipping boy but I just find it odd 1 guy gets hammered on since probably 3 games in, yet another guy gets a free pass. Let's remember also, many fans wanted the Oilers to be giving McLeod a lot more money for longer and were pissed, he got what they gave him which so far based on how he's played, he's over paid.

I’m not sure McLeod is getting a free pass from fans or media. And I’m not certain that Brown is getting “hammered on” by the fans and media as well. If anyone is getting a free pass it is the later. Unless you’re talking about free passes from the coach. But he keeps getting put into situations where he can’t bench players. The Brown injury last night. Bouchard should have been benched a couple times already this season, but this team is lacking so much offence it’s silly.

From the GM to the goalies, it’s been very disappointing since spring 2023.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826555 is a reply to message #826554 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 11:05

I’m not sure McLeod is getting a free pass from fans or media. And I’m not certain that Brown is getting “hammered on” by the fans and media as well. If anyone is getting a free pass it is the later. Unless you’re talking about free passes from the coach. But he keeps getting put into situations where he can’t bench players. The Brown injury last night. Bouchard should have been benched a couple times already this season, but this team is lacking so much offence it’s silly.

Have you not seen how many fans on social media want Brown waived after 9 games yet not the same for McLeod?

For the record, I don't want them to waive McLeod, nor am I happy about Brown's lack of scoring but there is a very different sentiment about the 2 players who play on the same line and producing the same.

If you look at McLeod's numbers this season, playoffs and last year.
23-24 - 9 games, 0g, 0pt
playoffs - 12 games, 0g, 5 pts
22-23 season. Last 17 games, 1g, 6 pts.

So in his last 38 games, he's got 1 goal, 11 pts. That's not great.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2023 11:27]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826558 is a reply to message #826555 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 11:22

Have you not seen how many fans on social media want Brown waived after 9 games yet not the same for McLeod?

For the record, I don't want them to waive McLeod, nor am I happy about Brown's lack of scoring but there is a very different sentiment about the 2 players who play on the same line and producing the same.

23-24 - 9 games, 0g, 0pt

Hey, I’m not defending Brown. McLeod is a perimeter “take em wide” player that won’t go within 5 feet of the blue paint. He is useless after entering the zone with the puck. He pulls the chute on cutting to the net constantly. He strikes me as a player that will change for a game or two, but then revert to his soft ways. I can only hope for a hot streak from him and a trade. I don’t think he’s the fibre of player this team is lacking right now.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826559 is a reply to message #826558 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 11:42

23-24 - 9 games, 0g, 0pt

Hey, I’m not defending Brown. McLeod is a perimeter “take em wide” player that won’t go within 5 feet of the blue paint. He is useless after entering the zone with the puck. He pulls the chute on cutting to the net constantly. He strikes me as a player that will change for a game or two, but then revert to his soft ways. I can only hope for a hot streak from him and a trade. I don’t think he’s the fibre of player this team is lacking right now.

I think McLeod seems himself as playing a super skilled style of hockey where he can get away with being a perimeter player but he doesn't have the super skill required. He'd be a hell of a player if he would accept playing a more take it to the net, shoot and look for rebounds style but it remains to be seen if he will. Generally when he goes on his little spurts to inflate his numbers, he's playing a more simple game which works but he only does it for a short time.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826560 is a reply to message #826555 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

23-24 - 9 games, 0g, 0pt

Playing McLeod (or any other under-performing Oilers forward other than Brown) doesn’t cost the team $3MM+ in next year’s cap space. That’s the sole difference and the only reason people are calling for Brown’s demotion.

If not for his poison pill contract, no one would be clamouring to send Connor Brown to the minors and people would be willing to be a little patient to see if he can become a contributing NHLer again. The fact is, it’s not like there’s a ton of guys on the Condors who are going to be significant upgrades with any certainty. The cupboards are not exactly well stocked with can’t-miss prospects.

However, if all Brown can be is a low-production bottom 6 guy for the Oilers this year then it is sheer folly to blow what is likely the entire increase in cap space next year on having that kind of player in this year’s lineup. The team is better off saving the money and playing him on the farm team. They can bring him up for the playoffs with no negative impact (assuming, you know, there is playoffs).

For what it’s worth though, I think CrusaderPi is right and DragonMatt is wrong. The Oilers will not demote Brown and the second he’s back from injury, we will just throw him back in the lineup as if we don’t have any choice but to pay that bonus and toss away next year’s cap.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826574 is a reply to message #826555 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I can’t believe I have to say this, but do not take social media seriously. It is full of trolls, 10 year old kids, the uninformed and keyboard warriors. Shoot … most days the social media dim bulbs share all four the listed qualities. These same clowns will say trade McDavid.

Brown at $775,000 is a better option than McLeod, but with 3.25M of dead space for next year, it makes perfect sense to send him to the minors until the “playoffs”. McLeod is doing nothing on offense, but he’s decent defensively and has shown he can up his game at times. At least he is under team control for next year at a fixed rate, even if it is looking like an overpay early into the new season.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826576 is a reply to message #826574 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 20:41 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Brown should go to the AHL to find his game. 0 points in 9 games… he’s been given the opportunity. Now he needs a different opportunity to pick himself up and be a useful NHL player. In no way should the team gift him $3+ mil in cap for achieving nothing. What a bad precedent.

Go spend 10/20/30/40 games in the AHL, find your game, earn your way back.

Let someone who is ready and hungrier take the reins.

It sucks for Brown. But that’s pro sports.

If Holland keeps him playing then it’s clear old man Kenny lost the plot.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2023 20:46]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826556 is a reply to message #826554 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I sure wish they'd both been scoring, but McLeod also doesn't have a boat anchor killing us if he plays tomorrow. Brown forced us to make a 9 game decision. Well, 9 games in and he's hot garbage.
So no, they don't get the same level of scrutiny. We also wouldn't sht all over Nurse if he was only making $6 mil per season.

If you demand premium bucks, you better perform to a premium.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826557 is a reply to message #826556 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 11:26

I sure wish they'd both been scoring, but McLeod also doesn't have a boat anchor killing us if he plays tomorrow. Brown forced us to make a 9 game decision. Well, 9 games in and he's hot garbage.
So no, they don't get the same level of scrutiny. We also wouldn't sht all over Nurse if he was only making $6 mil per season.

If you demand premium bucks, you better perform to a premium.

He's making 2.1 this year and 2.1 next year so it's not as if his contract is great value. Right now, they could call up Malone for his league min salary and get no points, very little offensive chances and very little shots while being mediocre on the PK and at faceoffs.

I'm not wanting them to call up Malone but the Oilers are getting squat from McLeod.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #826561 is a reply to message #826551 ]
Fri, 03 November 2023 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 November 2023 10:41

You just know no matter how severe his injury, we will let him play at least 1 second of game 82 to hit his bonus.

Like when we bought out Gryba because we felt bad having to demote him to save 100% of his cap. Then he was signed somewhere else and was immediately demoted.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:Broberg Sent Down / Lavoie Called Up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca