This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Gagner up - Erne down
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Gagner up - Erne down [message #826441]
Tue, 31 October 2023 13:26 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Saw mention we waived Erne and people were excited that Lavoie (who is destroying the AHL to start the year) would come up to inject some energy into this lineup and see what he's made of.

Looks like it's the return of Gagner instead.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#Oilers placed forward Adam Erne on waivers today.

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
Jay Woodcroft says that Sam Gagner will be coming up from @Condors

Gagner will need to be signed to an NHL deal

PuckPedia @PuckPedia
The #LetsGoOilers are signing 34 y/o Sam Gagner to 1 year deal:

NHL 775K
Minors 250K

Was originally on a PTO and then signed an AHL deal.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826442 is a reply to message #826441 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I agree with the call up for now. Gagner is a vet, good guy in the room and if the game dictates your 4th line doesn't play much, I am not worried if he sits. Lavoie needs to play so he should be playing 20 mins a night in Bakersfield.

Plus Gagner has proven success as an NHLer. Lavoie is off to a good start in the AHL after 2 weeks. I think he needs to continue to play well to establish it wasn't just a player getting hot for a short spurt. He will get his time soon.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826443 is a reply to message #826442 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Lavoie will never play 20 minutes a night on this team. He’s 23 in his 4th AHL year. He’s ready for a look.

Heck, send Janmark down and call up both.

Clean house or bust

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826444 is a reply to message #826443 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 31 October 2023 14:45

Lavoie will never play 20 minutes a night on this team. He’s 23 in his 4th AHL year. He’s ready for a look.

I'm not expecting him to play 20 mins in the NHL, I want him to play 20 mins in the AHL and continue to develop. If a person takes off the blinders and looks at him objectively, he has maybe 3 months of good AHL hockey. He came on and played well in the last 1/4 of last year and has played 5 games so far. People make it sound like he's been dominating the league for years which isn't the case. There is a 4th line spot on the Oilers for him, I don't see how playing 8 mins a night benefits a young developing player.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826445 is a reply to message #826444 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 31 October 2023 15:00

I'm not expecting him to play 20 mins in the NHL, I want him to play 20 mins in the AHL and continue to develop. If a person takes off the blinders and looks at him objectively, he has maybe 3 months of good AHL hockey. He came on and played well in the last 1/4 of last year and has played 5 games so far. People make it sound like he's been dominating the league for years which isn't the case. There is a 4th line spot on the Oilers for him, I don't see how playing 8 mins a night benefits a young developing player.

This is of course the fallacy of bad teams. We need grinders for fourth line roles, because you can't play a skill guy unless he can get 15+ minutes in a top-six role.

The fact is, the best Oilers fourth line in the entire team's history was the 1990 Kid Line of Joe Murphy, Martin Gelinas and Adam Graves. All very talented players who would have much bigger seasons later in their careers, they played a huge role in the Cup win that year. They did not play big minutes, but they were impactful minutes and showed what they were capable of.

When the Blackhawks were winning Cups, they constantly were playing guys like Ladd, Versteeg, Teravainen at the bottom of their roster. They were tasked with outplaying the depth guys on the other teams, which they did regularly, since the depth guys typically were the Adam Ernes and Josh Archibalds of the NHL.

The Oilers, despite the 1990 success, have spent the entire Kevin Lowe era with the belief that the bottom part of the roster needs to be safe, seasoned, and set for a specific role (ie. penalty killing, faceoffs, designated fighter). Like most Oilers decisions in the last couple decades, that's hopelessly behind the times and another reason we lag behind the best teams in the league.

Not to mention, it leads to a huge amount of players withering on the vine - playing so long in the minors that they have no trade value to speak of, because top-six roles don't come available very often and the Oilers generally prefer to try recent top draft picks or UFA signings in those roles.

There is actually limited downside to playing talented players in the bottom part of your lineup - and their minutes aren't really dictated by what line they're on, so much as how you're playing. If they're contributing points and outscoring the opposition, then they get more ice time.

The fact is, the Oilers bottom six went the entire month of October without a goal. Evander Kane's empty net goal was actually the first of the season where none of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Hyman didn't have a point on. There's only four goals to date where the big three didn't play a role (two against Calgary Sunday and two more against the Wild). There's a lot of room for improvement from our depth, so I'm willing to try putting a big guy who's a decent skater and has a heavy shot in the lineup and asking him to try to put up some numbers in a depth role.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826446 is a reply to message #826445 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 31 October 2023 16:21

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 31 October 2023 15:00

This is of course the fallacy of bad teams. We need grinders for fourth line roles, because you can't play a skill guy unless he can get 15+ minutes in a top-six role.

The fact is, the best Oilers fourth line in the entire team's history was the 1990 Kid Line of Joe Murphy, Martin Gelinas and Adam Graves. All very talented players who would have much bigger seasons later in their careers, they played a huge role in the Cup win that year. They did not play big minutes, but they were impactful minutes and showed what they were capable of.

When the Blackhawks were winning Cups, they constantly were playing guys like Ladd, Versteeg, Teravainen at the bottom of their roster. They were tasked with outplaying the depth guys on the other teams, which they did regularly, since the depth guys typically were the Adam Ernes and Josh Archibalds of the NHL.

The Oilers, despite the 1990 success, have spent the entire Kevin Lowe era with the belief that the bottom part of the roster needs to be safe, seasoned, and set for a specific role (ie. penalty killing, faceoffs, designated fighter). Like most Oilers decisions in the last couple decades, that's hopelessly behind the times and another reason we lag behind the best teams in the league.

Not to mention, it leads to a huge amount of players withering on the vine - playing so long in the minors that they have no trade value to speak of, because top-six roles don't come available very often and the Oilers generally prefer to try recent top draft picks or UFA signings in those roles.

There is actually limited downside to playing talented players in the bottom part of your lineup - and their minutes aren't really dictated by what line they're on, so much as how you're playing. If they're contributing points and outscoring the opposition, then they get more ice time.

The fact is, the Oilers bottom six went the entire month of October without a goal. Evander Kane's empty net goal was actually the first of the season where none of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins or Hyman didn't have a point on. There's only four goals to date where the big three didn't play a role (two against Calgary Sunday and two more against the Wild). There's a lot of room for improvement from our depth, so I'm willing to try putting a big guy who's a decent skater and has a heavy shot in the lineup and asking him to try to put up some numbers in a depth role.

There really isn't much to lose defensively either. The Oilers are giving up a horrific 4 goals / game right now. Why not try some players who might be able to push the play away from the bad defense guarding the bad goalies in a bad system? How much worse can the backend possibly get?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826447 is a reply to message #826446 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 31 October 2023 16:29

There really isn't much to lose defensively either. The Oilers are giving up a horrific 4 goals / game right now. Why not try some players who might be able to push the play away from the bad defense guarding the bad goalies in a bad system? How much worse can the backend possibly get?

But hey, I've heard the talking points from Stauff and Spec for years:

- Young players can't play fourth line minutes
- You can't play offensive players in the bottom six
- Grinders work so hard and they just really try!

How can that not be working for us???

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826448 is a reply to message #826441 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I just wanted to point out that if Gagner suits up for a game (and it seems almost certain now), he will become the first three stint Oiler in team history. There's been a couple of dozen two stint guys, but never a three stint guy. Steve MacIntyre came closest, but never got any NHL games in his third stint, so doesn't count.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826449 is a reply to message #826448 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 00:47

I just wanted to point out that if Gagner suits up for a game (and it seems almost certain now), he will become the first three stint Oiler in team history. There's been a couple of dozen two stint guys, but never a three stint guy. Steve MacIntyre came closest, but never got any NHL games in his third stint, so doesn't count.

Pretty cool for Gagner. Hard for anyone to get mad about the return of Gags.

Would be nice to have cap space to carry a normal roster and still be able to stick Lavoie in for someone underperforming while we can still bring him up and down without clearing waivers again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826451 is a reply to message #826449 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 08:38

Would be nice to have cap space to carry a normal roster and still be able to stick Lavoie in for someone underperforming while we can still bring him up and down without clearing waivers again.

It's very cool for Gagner. Who doesn't love a nice comeback story. His 8 point game remains the most exciting hockey experience I've ever witnessed.

For the Oilers... it's hard to be excited by this.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826453 is a reply to message #826451 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 09:12

It's very cool for Gagner. Who doesn't love a nice comeback story. His 8 point game remains the most exciting hockey experience I've ever witnessed.

It does seem like it's a longshot that the season gets saved by the reacquisition of a player who no one felt warranted a NHL contract this summer...

Great guy though, and hopefully he does well. Erne's not given him a very high bar to clear to be more of a contributor.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826454 is a reply to message #826453 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 09:23

It does seem like it's a longshot that the season gets saved by the reacquisition of a player who no one felt warranted a NHL contract this summer...

Great guy though, and hopefully he does well. Erne's not given him a very high bar to clear to be more of a contributor.

Good vibes, veteran leadership auras. These are things that lead to championships.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826455 is a reply to message #826454 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 09:31

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 09:23

Good vibes, veteran leadership auras. These are things that lead to championships.

It's pretty amazing that same has played over 1015 NHL regular season games... and 11 in the playoffs.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826457 is a reply to message #826455 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 09:39

It's pretty amazing that same has played over 1015 NHL regular season games... and 11 in the playoffs.

That's funny--I literally just did today's puckdoku which required you to name a player with over 1000 games but less than 50 playoff games. I immediately put Gagner (and was of course correct)--I didn't realize I just made it on the total NHL games (thought he would have had more than that).

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826450 is a reply to message #826448 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 02:47

I would point out too that he is the last NHL player who wore the old copper and blue jersey that is still around. The Oilers changed jerseys that summer, but hadn't released the new jersey by the draft, so Gagner still wore the better copper and blue at the draft. I was at the draft that year and was hoping the Oilers would draft him, so was pretty happy. By the way, attending the draft is actually pretty fun (at least it was back then). They had all the trophies (besides the Stanley Cup) on display.

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/winnipegsun/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/74860263RB038_2007_NHL_Entr-scaled.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=288&sig=nB-XbwmzdSRh0l-ZuKRChA

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826452 is a reply to message #826448 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I was looking up three-stint guys yesterday - hard to find any information on it. David Perron did it for the Blues. Wendel Clark with the Maple Leafs. Luc Robitaille with the Kings. It's pretty rare.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826456 is a reply to message #826452 ]
Wed, 01 November 2023 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 November 2023 11:20

I was looking up three-stint guys yesterday - hard to find any information on it. David Perron did it for the Blues. Wendel Clark with the Maple Leafs. Luc Robitaille with the Kings. It's pretty rare.

Found and old Reddit thread that lists off a lot of players that have done it.

Brian Boucher - Flyers (one of the weirdest careers for a back up goalie)
Francois Beauchemin - Ducks
Dominik Hasek - Red Wings (kind of)
Peter Forsberg - Avalanche
Martin Rucinsky - Rangers
Vinny Prospal - Lightning
Radim Vrbata - Coyotes
Patrick Marleau - Sharks
Mark Recchi - Penguins
Darryl Sydor - Stars
Francis Bouillon - Canadiens
Derek Grant - Ducks
Jim Rutherford - Red Wings
Marty Burke - Canadiens (this was an old one from the 20s and 30s, he played for Montreal 4 different times)

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826476 is a reply to message #826456 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I wonder how many of those guys were traded away at the deadline, then re-signed then eventually were traded away at the deadline again

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826477 is a reply to message #826456 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

How many two time Oilers are there?

Off the top of my head: Ryan Smyth, Marty Reasoner, Petr Nedved, Jussi Markannen, Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson, Steve McIntyre…sure there are a lot more.

Clean house or bust

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826478 is a reply to message #826477 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 November 2023 12:55

Off the top of my head: Ryan Smyth, Marty Reasoner, Petr Nedved, Jussi Markannen, Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson, Steve McIntyre…sure there are a lot more.

Marty McSorley, Rexi Ruotsalainen, Bill Ranford...

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826479 is a reply to message #826478 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 November 2023 13:33

Not counting the WHA, here's (I believe) the full list:

Glenn Anderson
Josef Beranek
Kyle Brodziak
Kevin Brown
Taylor Chorney
Mike Comrie
Brandon Davidson
Scott Ferguson
Sam Gagner
Denis Grebeshkov
Josh Green
Dave Hunter
Ralph Intranuovo
Petr Klima
Ken Linseman
Kevin Lowe
Dave Lumley
Steve MacIntyre
Jussi Markkanen
Marty McSorley
Rem Murray
Petr Nedved
Kent Nilsson
Bill Ranford
Marty Reasoner
Reijo Ruotsalainen
Gord Sherven
Ryan Smyth
Igor Ulanov

So 29 players in all. Note that I didn't count Joaquin Gage, Dick Tarnstrom, and Jesse Puljujarvi. All three of them played for the Oilers, left to play in Europe for a while, then returned to the Oilers. Since the Oilers retained player rights in their absence, I didn't think it should be counted as a separate stint. My definition of the end of a stint was when another NHL team acquired the player rights--but I guess this is in the eye of the beholder.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826481 is a reply to message #826479 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 15:34 Go to previous message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2023 13:58

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 November 2023 13:33

Not counting the WHA, here's (I believe) the full list:

Glenn Anderson
Josef Beranek
Kyle Brodziak
Kevin Brown
Taylor Chorney
Mike Comrie
Brandon Davidson
Scott Ferguson
Sam Gagner
Denis Grebeshkov
Josh Green
Dave Hunter
Ralph Intranuovo
Petr Klima
Ken Linseman
Kevin Lowe
Dave Lumley
Steve MacIntyre
Jussi Markkanen
Marty McSorley
Rem Murray
Petr Nedved
Kent Nilsson
Bill Ranford
Marty Reasoner
Reijo Ruotsalainen
Gord Sherven
Ryan Smyth
Igor Ulanov

So 29 players in all. Note that I didn't count Joaquin Gage, Dick Tarnstrom, and Jesse Puljujarvi. All three of them played for the Oilers, left to play in Europe for a while, then returned to the Oilers. Since the Oilers retained player rights in their absence, I didn't think it should be counted as a separate stint. My definition of the end of a stint was when another NHL team acquired the player rights--but I guess this is in the eye of the beholder.

You're an absolute joy to have on this site benv.

Re: Gagner up - Erne down [message #826480 is a reply to message #826478 ]
Thu, 02 November 2023 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 November 2023 15:33

Igor Ulanov, Josh Green, Mike Comrie, Josef Beranek, Scott Ferguson, Kent Nilsson, Dick Tarnstrom, and almost Anson Carter.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Next Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca