This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826419]
Sun, 29 October 2023 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Leia and Red Rage for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   81%
Calgary to win:   19%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826423 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Hell of a win

Maybe this will turn the season around

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826424 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Heck of a win. Hockey is fun again.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826425 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Watching it on TBS was a bit off-putting, as they don't pick up crowd noise well.

Had to have that one. Calgary is a terrible team.

No handshakes?

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826426 is a reply to message #826425 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sun, 29 October 2023 20:04

Watching it on TBS was a bit off-putting, as they don't pick up crowd noise well.

Had to have that one. Calgary is a terrible team.

No handshakes?

We had the world feed in the UK, may I never have to put up with them two on coms again... So dull and boring it was like some horrible 90's EA sports game commentary.

We are far from our best, but tonight was at least better than what we've seen so far from us this year, a step in the right direction and the foundation to get past .500. Can't say anyone played badly, some were better than others, but we were solid.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826427 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Nice to beat the Lames. Marky in net is always a good time :)

Would be nice to start a little run off this game. >0.900 sav% night for an Oilers goalie too!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826429 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Best effort of the year imo, choosing from among 2 good efforts.

Kane, Desharnais upped the level. Evander Kane made an appearance for the first time this year, outplayed the liability of the calls against. I thought Vinnie had a great night for Vinnie. Pucks were hitting skinner. No huge gaffe.

The way it was going with taking both dumb penalties and soft calls, could have been a different outcome. 2 5 on 3's against only produced 1 GA.

Oilers have to keep climbing out of the hole.

Calgary is in a jackpot. I honestly didnt hear Lindholm's or Huberdeau's name mentioned all night in a game that was as big for them as it was for the Oilers.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 October 2023 20:18]

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826430 is a reply to message #826429 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

Good analysis, and a good win for the boys.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826431 is a reply to message #826429 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 29 October 2023 20:16

Best effort of the year imo, choosing from among 2 good efforts.

Kane, Desharnais upped the level. Evander Kane made an appearance for the first time this year, outplayed the liability of the calls against. I thought Vinnie had a great night for Vinnie. Pucks were hitting skinner. No huge gaffe.

The way it was going with taking both dumb penalties and soft calls, could have been a different outcome. 2 5 on 3's against only produced 1 GA.

Oilers have to keep climbing out of the hole.

Calgary is in a jackpot. I honestly didnt hear Lindholm's or Huberdeau's name mentioned all night in a game that was as big for them as it was for the Oilers.

Lindholm played? Didn’t even see him on the ice.

Desharnais with a beautiful snipe. Kane summed up the Flames with one comment “What is anyone here going to do?”

Dumb penalties, even though they battled through them reasonably well.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826432 is a reply to message #826419 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

I love how good everyone feels after a win like that.
Way to go boys! Build off this! Let’s go streaking!

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826433 is a reply to message #826432 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the first one 20 years ago. It was extremely cold but a very cool experience.

I was at the one last night with my 2 kids and wife. The sight lines weren't great but who cares. It was a very cool experience. My wife loved it. Kids loved it. Nickelback was great! Cherry on top the Oilers beat the hell out of the Flames. Great night!!

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826434 is a reply to message #826433 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

I went for the first time last night and while I thought it was an ok experience, there’s zero chance I’d experience another.

Sitting Row 9 on the bench side, you couldn’t see the ice at all. I spent the entire time watching the big screen. They probably shouldn’t sell seats below row 30 if you want to see the on ice play. I’d have rather sat at the very top.

The concourse / concession and washroom situation was a joke behind OO. Literally impossible to move. Zero chance of getting food, beer, anything unless you wanted to miss an entire period.

My friend was saying that supposedly this was an NHL event, not an Oilers or Commonwealth production. The NHL was supposedly disorganized and didn’t take feedback from the Oilers and Elks teams in regards to helping plan with the lack of infrastructure in the aging stadium.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826435 is a reply to message #826434 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Also enjoyable was the big screen being covered with the Ticketmaster Ad during half the Nickleback performance. Couldn’t see the band from the players side, can’t see the big screen etc.

Kind of summed up the whole experience haha.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826436 is a reply to message #826434 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

ryanc182 wrote on Mon, 30 October 2023 08:35

I went for the first time last night and while I thought it was an ok experience, there’s zero chance I’d experience another.

Sitting Row 9 on the bench side, you couldn’t see the ice at all. I spent the entire time watching the big screen. They probably shouldn’t sell seats below row 30 if you want to see the on ice play. I’d have rather sat at the very top.

The concourse / concession and washroom situation was a joke behind OO. Literally impossible to move. Zero chance of getting food, beer, anything unless you wanted to miss an entire period.

My friend was saying that supposedly this was an NHL event, not an Oilers or Commonwealth production. The NHL was supposedly disorganized and didn’t take feedback from the Oilers and Elks teams in regards to helping plan with the lack of infrastructure in the aging stadium.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Commonwealth stadium was built in the late 70's. It's not how modern stadiums are with concourses on multiple levels. There is 1 concourse. Anytime there is a big crowd for an event (concert, football, that game), it's a complete nightmare in the concourse. I went to Garth Brooks last year, same thing. So it's not the NHL or the Oilers, it's the stadium.

I have to say, when I saw the jerseys first unveiled with those pants and gloves, I didn't like them. I wouldn't want to see that combo on a regular basis but when they were on the ice, in that stadium in that setting, they looked good.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 October 2023 09:04]

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826437 is a reply to message #826436 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Agreed.

Just sounds like feedback on how to help with the stadiums lack of infrastructure was ignored, which amplified the problem.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826438 is a reply to message #826437 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Off till Thursday. Sheeesh

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826439 is a reply to message #826436 ]
Mon, 30 October 2023 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

Commonwealth opened 45 years ago and it is time to start thinking about a new multi-purpose venue for Edmonton. In an ideal world the City would start strategic planning for a replacement facility now and that includes how to pay for it. Alternatively don't bother, wait another decade then when the existing venue is deemed seriously outdated, run-down and an embarrassment jack our taxes up significantly to fund a new facility.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8) [message #826440 is a reply to message #826439 ]
Tue, 31 October 2023 00:05 Go to previous message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

oiltec wrote on Mon, 30 October 2023 21:01

Commonwealth opened 45 years ago and it is time to start thinking about a new multi-purpose venue for Edmonton. In an ideal world the City would start strategic planning for a replacement facility now and that includes how to pay for it. Alternatively don't bother, wait another decade then when the existing venue is deemed seriously outdated, run-down and an embarrassment jack our taxes up significantly to fund a new facility.

The joined up thinking would have been to rebuild the same time Katz was planning our new place, rebuild both at the same time, in a similar venue and you'd have 2 state of the art venues for the two biggest sporting teams in the city onsite and offices for both within the complex. However that sort of thinking doesn't happen often.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Previous Topic:Gagner up - Erne down
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca