This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826372 is a reply to message #826369 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:50

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:11

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 06:37

I did not expect everyone to be calling for Woodys head.
He’s been a great coach here, I believe this is something with the players.
We have had how many coaches and this happens over and over.

I’d willing to see how well Woody could do as coach if he had a GM who wasn’t a complete has-been.

I am all for changing out whoever to get this team going. So if firing Holland is the move, go ahead, do it. The question I would have is will it do anything because as right now I see a ton of guys who flat out aren't playing well and not competing and it it's not just Brown or guys he's resigned like Ryan or Janmark. It's guys who everyone would identify as being key Oilers.

Guys like Nuge, McLeod, Bouchard, go down the list. Lots of people were pissed there wasn't more money to give more to McLeod and Bouchard as an example. Most fans think Bouchard is their best dman and he should be on the top pairing. He's got some points, great but once the puck crosses the red line, look out. When the puck goes into the corner, he ain't coming out with it very often and he's not covering a guy in front of the net. McLeod same thing. He's got zero points, barely any shots and when the puck gets dump in, don't expect him to get it.

I'm not mentioning those 2 to make them my new "whipping boys". I am singling them out because they to every fan were identified as key players, the Oilers 100% had to keep, most see them playing critical roles, most want them to play more, most felt the Oilers should have found a way to sign them up for way longer to way more money and so far, they have not played well at all.

So other than making people feel better because they are looking for blood right now, what does firing Holland right now do to get McLeod to go to the freaking net. Something that has been a knock of his since he was drafted, something he was asked to work when he was in junior and the AHL and the NHL. Something he said last year, he was going to focus on doing better and so far, nothing has change.

Reason to fire Holland now would be to not let him make more bad moves that tank things for the next GM. He's already messed the next guy over with Brown's bonus that wipes out our cap increase next year (his bonus could actually be more than the increase if there is a serious recession).

We saw what Chia did when he was panicking his last season. That was an absolute disaster. Kenney can't really be trusted to fix anything at this point, so keeping is far more risky IMO, letting him try to fix his own mess with zero cap space.

Well if what you say is true about worrying that Holland will make a move that will screw the next guy, in my opinion, that would imply that he has complete autonomy over anything and can do whatever he wants without Jackson or anyone one else doing a thing. I just don't buy that. This has nothing to do with siding with Holland. I just don't buy Jackson quit his job as a super agent to be the Pres of the Oilers so he could sit in his office with Katz drinking scotch and smoking cigars not having a say in what Holland does. I just don't believe that's why he is here or what he is all about. I doubt Jackson doesn't have a say in what happens moving forward because he will be here, he might take over the GM's job for all we know.

They were paying 6.1 mill to get 15 goals, 39 pts from Yamo and JP. All Brown has to do is improve on those numbers and they are getting more value for considerably less money. I am not prepared to write off Brown as a bust 7 games in. It usually takes players new to a team time to adjust makes it harder when you are coming off a major injury.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826373 is a reply to message #826372 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 12:37

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:50

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 11:11

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 06:37

I did not expect everyone to be calling for Woodys head.
He’s been a great coach here, I believe this is something with the players.
We have had how many coaches and this happens over and over.

I’d willing to see how well Woody could do as coach if he had a GM who wasn’t a complete has-been.

I am all for changing out whoever to get this team going. So if firing Holland is the move, go ahead, do it. The question I would have is will it do anything because as right now I see a ton of guys who flat out aren't playing well and not competing and it it's not just Brown or guys he's resigned like Ryan or Janmark. It's guys who everyone would identify as being key Oilers.

Guys like Nuge, McLeod, Bouchard, go down the list. Lots of people were pissed there wasn't more money to give more to McLeod and Bouchard as an example. Most fans think Bouchard is their best dman and he should be on the top pairing. He's got some points, great but once the puck crosses the red line, look out. When the puck goes into the corner, he ain't coming out with it very often and he's not covering a guy in front of the net. McLeod same thing. He's got zero points, barely any shots and when the puck gets dump in, don't expect him to get it.

I'm not mentioning those 2 to make them my new "whipping boys". I am singling them out because they to every fan were identified as key players, the Oilers 100% had to keep, most see them playing critical roles, most want them to play more, most felt the Oilers should have found a way to sign them up for way longer to way more money and so far, they have not played well at all.

So other than making people feel better because they are looking for blood right now, what does firing Holland right now do to get McLeod to go to the freaking net. Something that has been a knock of his since he was drafted, something he was asked to work when he was in junior and the AHL and the NHL. Something he said last year, he was going to focus on doing better and so far, nothing has change.

Reason to fire Holland now would be to not let him make more bad moves that tank things for the next GM. He's already messed the next guy over with Brown's bonus that wipes out our cap increase next year (his bonus could actually be more than the increase if there is a serious recession).

We saw what Chia did when he was panicking his last season. That was an absolute disaster. Kenney can't really be trusted to fix anything at this point, so keeping is far more risky IMO, letting him try to fix his own mess with zero cap space.

Well if what you say is true about worrying that Holland will make a move that will screw the next guy, in my opinion, that would imply that he has complete autonomy over anything and can do whatever he wants without Jackson or anyone one else doing a thing. I just don't buy that. This has nothing to do with siding with Holland. I just don't buy Jackson quit his job as a super agent to be the Pres of the Oilers so he could sit in his office with Katz drinking scotch and smoking cigars not having a say in what Holland does. I just don't believe that's why he is here or what he is all about. I doubt Jackson doesn't have a say in what happens moving forward because he will be here, he might take over the GM's job for all we know.

They were paying 6.1 mill to get 15 goals, 39 pts from Yamo and JP. All Brown has to do is improve on those numbers and they are getting more value for considerably less money. I am not prepared to write off Brown as a bust 7 games in. It usually takes players new to a team time to adjust makes it harder when you are coming off a major injury.

Not sure how the Oilers org works. Sounds like Chia just went silent and started making moves without much communication. We sure Jackson is a brilliant hockey mind? Paul Coffey I guess is the next line of defense for bad moves. Not sure any of these guys has done a thing yet in management to earn trust. Jackson was an assistant GM during tank time in Toronto where they made the playoffs 0 times. Coffey was coaching his kids junior A team or something a few years ago before his instant rocket to the top of the OEG.

Who knows though, maybe we hired some geniuses and got lucky. First proof will be how they handle Holland.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 October 2023 12:57]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826401 is a reply to message #826372 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Why can’t Connor Brown find his game in the AHL?

Its not writing off Brown. It’s extending the timeline to gather information to determine if this guy is worth screwing your cap next season.

There is no good reason to wait and hope he finds it in the NHL while the Oilers keep racking up L’s.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826402 is a reply to message #826401 ]
Sun, 29 October 2023 14:52 Go to previous message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 29 October 2023 13:24

Why can’t Connor Brown find his game in the AHL?

Its not writing off Brown. It’s extending the timeline to gather information to determine if this guy is worth screwing your cap next season.

There is no good reason to wait and hope he finds it in the NHL while the Oilers keep racking up L’s.

That would be mean to do that to a veteran player. Like when we bought out Gryba instead of burying 100% of his cap because it would have been mean to demote him to the AHL. Then Gryba signed somewhere else and got buried in the AHL.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826364 is a reply to message #826336 ]
Fri, 27 October 2023 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Should we start discussing Celebrini vs. Eiserman?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #826393 is a reply to message #826364 ]
Sat, 28 October 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 27 October 2023 10:49

Should we start discussing Celebrini vs. Eiserman?

I can't think of a better way for McDavid to finally experience his Yzerman moment than getting Eiserman.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Next Topic:McJesus out 1-2 weeks - Risen for Heritage Classic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca