This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826155]
Tue, 24 October 2023 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans is currently online OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 53%
Minnesota to win: 47%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 24, 2023Edmonton 4 @ Minnesota 7Loss
Friday, December 8, 2023Minnesota 3 @ Edmonton 4Win
Friday, February 23, 2024Minnesota 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 6/4 Total: 10
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/7 Total: 14

2022-23 Regular Season
Thursday, December 1, 2022Edmonton 3 @ Minnesota 5Loss
Friday, December 9, 2022Minnesota 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Monday, December 12, 2022Edmonton 1 @ Minnesota 2Loss
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-2-0       Overall Record: 1-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/4 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/7 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826156 is a reply to message #826155 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Win today. It’s my birthday. For god sakes just win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826157 is a reply to message #826155 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

Holloway is just never allowed into the top 6 eh?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826158 is a reply to message #826157 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 10:37

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

What's wrong with playing with the players they have him with? That has the makings of one hell of a line that should be going up against other teams 3rd lines and 3rd pairing dmen and do some serious damage.

Just optics being the problem?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826160 is a reply to message #826158 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 10:47

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

What's wrong with playing with the players they have him with? That has the makings of one hell of a line that should be going up against other teams 3rd lines and 3rd pairing dmen and do some serious damage.

I see a couple problems. I'd be asking who is more likely to score on the wing with Kane and Draisaitl? Janmark who normally plays center or Holloway? With McDavid out the Oilers have to think about where the points will come from. I also don't see the current third turning into a line of any real importance. Yes, it's a small sample size but their old school stats are a combined 0 points with a -8. I'm not all that worried about keeping them together especially if it means sacrificing potential first line scoring during the games where they'll need it the most.

It makes more sense to me to put Brown up on the first to see if he's worth the 3.2 million of cap space he's going to eat up next season, but that's the next coach and GM's problem. Lastly I'll mention the horrible management who constructed a team where any injury would leave the lines looking like this. Bad luck, I suppose.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826161 is a reply to message #826160 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 11:19

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

I see a couple problems. I'd be asking who is more likely to score on the wing with Kane and Draisaitl? Janmark who normally plays center or Holloway? With McDavid out the Oilers have to think about where the points will come from. I also don't see the current third turning into a line of any real importance. Yes, it's a small sample size but their old school stats are a combined 0 points with a -8. I'm not all that worried about keeping them together especially if it means sacrificing potential first line scoring during the games where they'll need it the most.

It makes more sense to me to put Brown up on the first to see if he's worth the 3.2 million of cap space he's going to eat up next season, but that's the next coach and GM's problem. Lastly I'll mention the horrible management who constructed a team where any injury would leave the lines looking like this. Bad luck, I suppose.

Why do you have to be so mean about the management? Who could expect a GM with 30+ years experience to prepare for a scenario where his team has injury issues? Or goalie issues? or defence issues?

I'm still struggling to understand why we felt that what we really needed more than anything after last season was another winger? I mean, that roster is essentially the same one from last year. We've just replaced Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Kostin with Brown, Holloway and Erne. The team must really have believed they were just unlucky to lose to Vegas. I think the management also has bought in to this myth that since we lost the last couple years to the eventual Cup Champions, that that has some meaning. It doesn't. We were flattened by Colorado in 2022 - maybe their easiest series, in big part because our goaltending couldn't stop a beach ball. And we didn't do much better last year against Vegas - again in big part because of goaltending. So naturally we got a couple more forwards!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826163 is a reply to message #826161 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 11:32

Why do you have to be so mean about the management? Who could expect a GM with 30+ years experience to prepare for a scenario where his team has injury issues? Or goalie issues? or defence issues?

I'm still struggling to understand why we felt that what we really needed more than anything after last season was another winger? I mean, that roster is essentially the same one from last year. We've just replaced Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Kostin with Brown, Holloway and Erne. The team must really have believed they were just unlucky to lose to Vegas. I think the management also has bought in to this myth that since we lost the last couple years to the eventual Cup Champions, that that has some meaning. It doesn't. We were flattened by Colorado in 2022 - maybe their easiest series, in big part because our goaltending couldn't stop a beach ball. And we didn't do much better last year against Vegas - again in big part because of goaltending. So naturally we got a couple more forwards!

Holland hit on my girlfriend at Cactus Club in Kelowna, so I run him down on the internet.

The GM put the coach in a really bad position here. There is an argument to made about Brown, Holloway, or Janmark (not really Janmark) in the top 6. The problem is those are all less than optimum choices rights now. Even Foegele up there is questionable. But who replaces him? Holloway probably can't do it right now and Brown is still a mystery, we don't know if he can. So that leave Janmark and Foegele, I guess. Go Oil.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826167 is a reply to message #826163 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 11:48

Adam wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 11:32

Holland hit on my girlfriend at Cactus Club in Kelowna, so I run him down on the internet.

The GM put the coach in a really bad position here. There is an argument to made about Brown, Holloway, or Janmark (not really Janmark) in the top 6. The problem is those are all less than optimum choices rights now. Even Foegele up there is questionable. But who replaces him? Holloway probably can't do it right now and Brown is still a mystery, we don't know if he can. So that leave Janmark and Foegele, I guess. Go Oil.

That damn hound dog Holland!

Honestly, I think I could wrap my head around the issues at forward if we had improved some other area of the team. The fact is, this is the one area where Holland decided he needed to tinker, and it's still looks mediocre. Goaltending looked atrocious and still is costing us games. This season, we've been out-goalied in 4 of 5 games...not coincidentally, the same 5 we lost. If we had just adequate goaltending, we probably should be at least 3-2-0 rather than 1-3-1.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826162 is a reply to message #826160 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

damn it, Brown. 4 more games and he is taking our entire cap increase next year. Can we be jerks and waive/demote him? I do not like the cost benefit of that acquisition right now.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826164 is a reply to message #826162 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 11:41

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

damn it, Brown. 4 more games and he is taking our entire cap increase next year. Can we be jerks and waive/demote him? I do not like the cost benefit of that acquisition right now.

I'd certainly be doing everything I can to find out what Brown is and is capable of right now. Of course the Oilers are so tight to the cap for some reason that if they do demote him they probably can't afford to replace him. Shrug. It was impossible to see this as an outcome.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826165 is a reply to message #826160 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

I agree, I am not a fan of Janmark up there. Maybe it's a defensive guy to help Kane and Leon who sometimes aren't that defensively responsible. That being said, to date, Holloway hasn't lit it up offensively yet to tell me he's able to score in the top 6 going up against Minnie's best line and best d pairing which will be the case with McD out. Leon will face the other teams best.

So that is why I'd like to see him stay where he's at for now. Hopefully get his scoring mojo going, going up against other teams 3rd lines and 3rd pairings.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826159 is a reply to message #826157 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The @EdmontonOilers
in Minnesota:

Kane-Draisaitl-Janmark
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Broberg/Desharnais

Campbell
Skinner

Maybe if he complains about his role in a TV interview?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826166 is a reply to message #826159 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This would be a great time for McLeod to take a step forward. Only 3 shots in 5 games. I was hoping he would come out and be more assertive by using his size and speed to take more pucks to the goal. He should be going up against other teams 3rd pairings so I'd think he'd have an advantage.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826170 is a reply to message #826155 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oilers somehow get a regular start time on the night of 1000 start times.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826172 is a reply to message #826170 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I'm fully expecting this game to be a train wreck rout. Sorry gang... but this team has looked like a tired, unmotivated and uninspired group so far.

I'm guessing a 6 - 1 blowout.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826173 is a reply to message #826155 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 17:16 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oilers w/o McD vs Wild[ 7 vote(s) ]
1.Absolute crap show.. play even worse than previous games.. get slaughtered..Loss 1 / 14%
2.Keep it close.. Loss 2 / 29%
3.Some players step up.. Cambell plays good.. for a while..get a lead.. then fold like a cheap lawn chair in a tornado.. Loss 1 / 14%
4.Players step up.. Campbell plays big.. squeak out a Victory.. Win 2 / 29%
5.Players step up big.. roll over Wild handily.. Win 1 / 14%

Oiler response tonight?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6)
Next Topic:Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca