This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825873]
Wed, 11 October 2023 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 100%
Vancouver to win: 0%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825879 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

We really needed to replace Ceci and maybe Kulak too with D that can actually defend and have awareness around our own net. Kulak plays light as a feather and looks for offense, and Ceci's natural instincts are the same (and he's not good at it), even if he's tried to round his game out to survive in the NHL after being drafted for offense.

Badly need Ekholm back, but that still leaves our Nurse-Ceci pair being a a ticking time bomb. Another solid LHD that can play with Bouch if needed should be up here instead of Broberg.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825881 is a reply to message #825879 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Let’s Doh Oilers!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825888 is a reply to message #825881 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Every October my body clock starts waking me up at around 2.30am and I know it's a sure sign hockey season is very close. I get very excited thinking this is the year, this is our time and very quickly I end up with seasonal oilers disorder or SOD it as I like to call it arrives normally around November/December.

SOD it has hit earlier than expected. My only hope is that's the one big blow out loss of the season, the one to wake the team up and get them working.

Today is going to be a long day after watching that game.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825887 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

It's too late to go after D in my opinion. We'll have to outscore our problems.

We're also switching from man to zone, so it'll take 10games+. After that aim to win 5-4 and work the refs/media for more powerplay. We'll be fine.

Go Skinner.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825889 is a reply to message #825887 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Wed, 11 October 2023 22:57

We're also switching from man to zone, so it'll take 10games+. After that aim to win 5-4 and work the refs/media for more powerplay. We'll be fine.

Go Skinner.

It is too late for sure. Ceci not being a good compliment for Nurse has been apparent for a long time though. Our inability to defend the front of our net has been an issue for years as well. Is it all players? Or coaching still playing a major role too. Remain a bit alarmed that this org feels the need to announce to the world we are changing to zone defense from man on man. If that was supposed to be zone defense tonight ... not sure what to say honestly. I appreciate Nurse showing the extreme contrast. Last real game he was showing us man on man, chasing guys 40 ft from his net. Tonight, playing zone defense, he was just standing still in his designated box with no one near him, waiting for Boeser to shoot a perfect top corner shot in front of him. Textbook stuff.

https://x.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1712297611678417371?s=20

Bouch 1 on 1 battle, puck comes out, he still has his man. 3 oilers watch Miller go to the free puck and no one cares to leave their designated area. Boeser just skates into the middle of 3 Oilers standing still in their designated areas and snipes top corner with no one near his stick. Seriously, no team plays like this except for us, lol.

Team obviously capable of better, but this whole team and org needs to be keeping in mind for when the time comes that we're back to playing a series against a team that can pick all the dumb stuff we do apart and exploit us.

Just want everyone to appreciate

[Updated on: Wed, 11 October 2023 23:24]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825894 is a reply to message #825887 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Go Skinner.

here’s a lukewarm take for g1 of the season: an average (or below average) Dcorps and uncertain goaltending will do this team in

In 15+ years post-Pronger, and outside of Visnovsky, this team still hasn’t managed to draft or procure a bonafide #1 (or even a #2) D. Klef was not him. I love Nurse but neither is he. I don’t blame the players, I’ll tell you that much. It’s embarrassing!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825900 is a reply to message #825894 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 12 October 2023 07:38

Go Skinner.

here’s a lukewarm take for g1 of the season: an average (or below average) Dcorps and uncertain goaltending will do this team in

In 15+ years post-Pronger, and outside of Visnovsky, this team still hasn’t managed to draft or procure a bonafide #1 (or even a #2) D. Klef was not him. I love Nurse but neither is he. I don’t blame the players, I’ll tell you that much. It’s embarrassing!

I think that would have been a hot take Tuesday. With all the baseless cup favorite hype, fans were told to ignore the obvious 15 year deficiencies of this team and the complete inability of management to acknowledge this problem, never mind fix it. Fortunately those obvious deficiencies were put on display for everyone to see last night.

So now we get to watch how the team (and management) responds. I will enjoy that process, even though I have no faith in it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825904 is a reply to message #825894 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 12 October 2023 10:38

Go Skinner.

I'd argue that Ekholm is a solid #2. Too bad he's broken right now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825905 is a reply to message #825894 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 12 October 2023 06:38

I'd argue they do have a 1st pairing D-man in Ekholm.. his play is a stark difference compared to the rest.. best since Pronger .. but agree it is pretty sad they can't seem to draft anything even close to a #1 ..

After Ekholm.. the rest are mediocre defenders.. Desharnais does OK.. but he's a 6-7 d-man.. Bouchard can handle a PP.. but his defensive abilities are low.. and Nurse? .. can't figure that guy out.. I thought it might be the man-to-man defensive system they had that didn't suit his abilities and he couldn't execute (agility, puck smarts).. they switch systems.. a simpler zone.. same result..

[Updated on: Thu, 12 October 2023 10:42]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825890 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Wed, 11 October 2023 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Demko had the flu and threw up in his mask. That's why he left. Explains why he was able to stop all our muffins along the ice. The dehydration made him lighter and gave him extra speed.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825891 is a reply to message #825890 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

That was humiliating

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825893 is a reply to message #825891 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Sure glad I didn't stay up to watch that one.
I was going to, but I figured it likely wouldn't start until 11:30 or so & I had to be up at 6 this morning, so I noped out.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825915 is a reply to message #825890 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 October 2023 22:51

Demko had the flu and threw up in his mask. That's why he left. Explains why he was able to stop all our muffins along the ice. The dehydration made him lighter and gave him extra speed.

If the flu made Demko play like that, how do we give Campbell and Skinner the flu 82+ games?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825899 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, I was one of those last year yelling for a systemic solution and something different for defensive zone coverage. Is this it? confused2

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825903 is a reply to message #825899 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Hopefully last night is a nice swift kick in the ass reminding them that just because all the media thinks they are going to win the cup, you actually have to show up and perform on the ice. It's 1 game so I don't think the pitch forks need to come out just yet but hopefully it gets the boys a bit more focused.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825906 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

Ah, this didn't age too well unfortunately

Edit. I thought Vancouver out worked us badly. They knew they had to work hard. The Oilers thought they could win on the reputation of the sports writers. Lot's of missed defensive responsibility plays. Getting beat & being soft on the puck too often.

Thankfully this is game 1. I'm old enough to remember when the Oilers lost 11-0 to the Hartford Whalers in February or March (Probably after a night of drinking and snorting coke in Manhattan). They won their first cup that year. Yep. I'm old..

[Updated on: Thu, 12 October 2023 11:09]

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825907 is a reply to message #825906 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I give Holloway respect for wanting to block a shot late in a game in a blow out. Shows he's committing himself to not quit in a game no matter what. He was one of the few guys that actually showed up. However, him blocking a shot with his hand late in a game screams inexperience and not recognizing the time in the game. If it was game 7, tied game, then you put whatever part of your body in front of the shot. But game 1 of the season in a blow out, probably best to just square up, try to take the shot in the shin pads and if it gets by you, oh well.

I hope he's OK.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825921 is a reply to message #825907 ]
Fri, 13 October 2023 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 October 2023 11:13

I give Holloway respect for wanting to block a shot late in a game in a blow out. Shows he's committing himself to not quit in a game no matter what. He was one of the few guys that actually showed up. However, him blocking a shot with his hand late in a game screams inexperience and not recognizing the time in the game. If it was game 7, tied game, then you put whatever part of your body in front of the shot. But game 1 of the season in a blow out, probably best to just square up, try to take the shot in the shin pads and if it gets by you, oh well.

I hope he's OK.

I respect his heart, but not his head. Woody in the post-game commended the gutsiness of the blocked shot to the media, but I hope the message is a bit different behind closed doors.

Also, who runs PP1 in a blowout? If/When Edmonton get's the chance I hope they fight fire with fire.

I am fired up for Saturday. Hopefully the team responds.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825911 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

Not sure what to think other than shake my head. At 4-1 I was pissed off. At 6-1 I was apathetic. At 8-1 I couldn't help but laugh. All summer, the talk was unfinished business. McDavid calls players back early. The hype was cranked to 11. Vancouver has the flu running through the locker room. And this is the effort that shows up?

Only game 1, and maybe (just maybe) this becomes a blessing in disguise that teaches this team how to bounce back from an embarrassing loss and use that as motivation for many games forward, not just a period or two, but I'm not sure.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825917 is a reply to message #825873 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Someone this morning on the radio mentioned it only took 25 minutes into the new season for Woodcroft to reunite McDavid & Draisaitl. Think it was Neilson.

I really think there needs to be an honest effort to keep these two separate. More balance throughout the line up. Breaking the glass on the panic button 25 minutes into a season isn’t great coaching if you ask me.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825918 is a reply to message #825917 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

Yeah that sounds a tad premature doesn't it. I can't imagine Woody will ever win coach of the year when he has those two players on the team. Everyone will say how could they possibly lose.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825919 is a reply to message #825917 ]
Thu, 12 October 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 12 October 2023 19:42

Someone this morning on the radio mentioned it only took 25 minutes into the new season for Woodcroft to reunite McDavid & Draisaitl. Think it was Neilson.

I really think there needs to be an honest effort to keep these two separate. More balance throughout the line up. Breaking the glass on the panic button 25 minutes into a season isn’t great coaching if you ask me.

Finding a working setup for the top 6 forwards with McDrai on their own lines might be a challenge all year. Especially if Kane keeps playing like he has since he came back from injury.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825920 is a reply to message #825919 ]
Fri, 13 October 2023 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Let’s just hope Saturday goes better

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #825923 is a reply to message #825920 ]
Fri, 13 October 2023 09:41 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Did anyone else notice Vancouver's penalty kill?

McDavid still got a few rushing chances from his speed, but they did something that surprised me in their D-zone set up. They pushed hard on defence constantly, as they should, putting constant 1 on 1 pressure on the puck carrier unless that puck carrier was Draisaitl. They gave him space and took away all passing lanes. They sat on Drai taking away his one timer when McDavid has the puck, effectively making it 4 on 3 elsewhere, but then they jsut gave Drai space and focused on taking away McDavid when he doesn't.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca