Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Mike Babcock
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Mike Babcock [message #825456]
Mon, 18 September 2023 11:09 Go to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

And go ...

I am surprised this was not already a thread. I have been away a lot this summer and I am getting ready for my pre-season Oilfans training.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/blue-jackets-gamble-on- mike-babcock-backfires-putting-team-in-tough-position-ahead- of-camp/

The guy has been a complete jag-off every time I have met him. The way he holds himself when he is out of the view of the media translates exactly how he is being portrayed by Mike Commodore. Arrogant and talks down to people. I hope he enjoys his millions of dollars away from young people and no where near my community again.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825459 is a reply to message #825456 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 11:09

And go ...

I am surprised this was not already a thread. I have been away a lot this summer and I am getting ready for my pre-season Oilfans training.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/blue-jackets-gamble-on- mike-babcock-backfires-putting-team-in-tough-position-ahead- of-camp/

The guy has been a complete jag-off every time I have met him. The way he holds himself when he is out of the view of the media translates exactly how he is being portrayed by Mike Commodore. Arrogant and talks down to people. I hope he enjoys his millions of dollars away from young people and no where near my community again.

Never trust someone that talks about themselves in the 3rd person :)

What a bizarre story leading to him being instantly booted.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825461 is a reply to message #825459 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 11:37

And go ...

Kr55 trusts someone that talks about themselves in the 3rd person :)

Yeah! You said it!

I actually couldn't think of a more Mike Babcock way for Mike Babcock to go out. Mike Babcock never saw that happening to Mike Babcock.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825464 is a reply to message #825461 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

A few thoughts:

- Interesting to see how this played out. Credit to the Spittin' Chiclets crew who stood behind their story while there was clearly pressure for them to back off. I'm sure many GMs and even the NHL weren't too thrilled to see them air a team's laundry out. I wonder if there will be any blowback against them.

- I continue to be surprised at how little interest there is from the supposed heavyweights of the hockey media to even weigh in on this besides tweets confirming meetings have happened or resignations are impending. Guys like Friedman, Dreger, etc. continue to show ZERO courage at all around this stuff. You wonder how many stories over the years have got buried because those guys won't rock the boat even a little. Wyshynski was at least commenting this week about just how many people are happy to say how much of a douchebag Babcock is. If you look at some of the other guy's comments, it's either they ignored that anything was happening, or they said that they're hearing the same thing that it's a nothing burger.

- Babcock is a total weirdo. Even in his explanation of what happened, it just sounds super awkward and strange. Can you imagine meeting a new boss and having him ask you on the spot to show a photo of your family? I mean, that's not a normal thing.

- Will be weird now for Jenner and Gaudreau who both made comments in support of the coach. I'm sure they were asked to do so, but clearly, that flies against some guys who were really not happy and willing to talk about that to both Bissonette and the NHLPA.

- The other thing that remains really under-reported. Columbus did not hire Babcock thinking he was warm and cuddly now. They might be hoping he didn't do something as blatant as embarrassing Marner in front of all his teammates with a list he forced Marner to make on ranking all teammates on work ethic - but they know his style. They know he's a jerk and that he grinds and grinds and grinds on his players. That's what they signed up for. If you look at Kekelainen's coaching hires, he hired Tortorella and kept him for 6 years, even when it was clear that some of his best players were really wanting out of that relationship. Then he promoted Torts' assistant Brad Larsen - I know nothing about his style but he only lasted two seasons. Then it was right back to the old school hard-edged coach in Babcock.

So while I doubt he ever thought things could blow up so fast, he fully intended to make his players less comfortable by bringing in this guy. They knew what they were getting and they signed him anyhow. And now this is the result.

- Finally, the big positive from this is that it might make teams ask themselves if it's worth it before bringing back some other disgraced former coaches. Bill Peters has been working to position himself for a return for some time, and is coaching kids in Medicine Hat this year with the Tigers. You know he's hoping that a little success there and he's right back in the NHL, but hopefully this stalls that a little - and maybe even gives young players some outlet if there's mistreatment in junior.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825465 is a reply to message #825464 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't think what Jenner and Gaudreau said will make it weird. They commented based on what they experienced.

“While meeting with 'Babs,' he asked me about my family and where I’m from, my upcoming wedding and hockey-related stuff," Jenner said in his statement. "He then asked if I had pictures of my family, and I was happy to share some with him. He showed me pictures of his family. I thought it was a great first meeting and good way for us to start to build a relationship. To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing.”

It sounds like how Babcock treated the vets and perceived by the vets was very different than how he treated the young players who he tried to bully. I am going to bet that the pictures on a 30 yr old married guy with kids phone is going to be WAY different than a 20 yr olds.

What Babcock did was wrong and deserved a firing. To come out and ask people to show them pictures on their phone in your first interaction is weird and clearly trying to abuse his power. But how a young person would react would be very different than how a 30 something would react. A young guy probably has pictures of him parting with buddies, probably pictures of doing dumb stuff that 20 yr olds doing, maybe pictures of his girlfriend or girls. All things you probably don't want your boss seeing especially in the first days of work. A 30 something probably has pictures of kids, his family, his dog. All things you could probably look up on his facebook or insta page. He probably doesn't have pictures of him doing stupid stuff or being drunk. So I would imagine being asked that would be taken very differently depending on your age and where he are in your life. That being said. He has a history of bullying young players. You'd think given why he lost his job the first time, he would be smart enough to try to at least start off squeaky clean. But he clearly doesn't get it and he got what he deserved.

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825466 is a reply to message #825464 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 14:52

- I continue to be surprised at how little interest there is from the supposed heavyweights of the hockey media to even weigh in on this besides tweets confirming meetings have happened or resignations are impending. Guys like Friedman, Dreger, etc. continue to show ZERO courage at all around this stuff. You wonder how many stories over the years have got buried because those guys won't rock the boat even a little. Wyshynski was at least commenting this week about just how many people are happy to say how much of a douchebag Babcock is. If you look at some of the other guy's comments, it's either they ignored that anything was happening, or they said that they're hearing the same thing that it's a nothing burger.

You continue to have waaaaaay too much faith in the media acting as reporters. They're bought and sold public relations. They sell their soul for access as a prerequisite.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825467 is a reply to message #825466 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 15:41

You continue to have waaaaaay too much faith in the media acting as reporters. They're bought and sold public relations. They sell their soul for access as a prerequisite.

Jenner and Gaudreau were sent out by the team to be a flak jacket for the coach. They may have known what he was doing to players, he may have been a jackass to them even, but as team leaders they also know that the team is asking them to provide cover so the story goes away. I’m sure they were told that nothing good comes from this story hanging over our group and we need your help to bury it. I feel for them both because really what choice are they left with? At the point the team asks them to speak up, it’s clear that they don’t want to turf the brand new coach so you can make life really difficult for everyone if you don’t go along, or you can be a pawn for the team and coach. They chose the latter, but to be fair to them, it’s a crappy choice to have to make.

That said, if you’re a young player who felt that was a bullying, belittling move that you suffered at the hands of a guy with a long history of bullying and belittling players, and your captain and another leader both came out and provided the cover that could have kept that guy in place? That’s not something you’re going to appreciate and you probably don’t see that as real leadership. Whether or not those two accurately described their own experiences, they either didn’t ask what others experienced or they didn’t accurately portray it. Unless those two talked to their teammates first and said - hey, we are going to say this publicly because we have to but we will give the unvarnished truth to the NHLPA, then it’s probably going to be a bit of a bone of contention.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825533 is a reply to message #825464 ]
Mon, 25 September 2023 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

A few thoughts:

- Interesting to see how this played out. Credit to the Spittin' Chiclets crew who stood behind their story while there was clearly pressure for them to back off. I'm sure many GMs and even the NHL weren't too thrilled to see them air a team's laundry out. I wonder if there will be any blowback against them.

- Babcock is a total weirdo. Even in his explanation of what happened, it just sounds super awkward and strange. Can you imagine meeting a new boss and having him ask you on the spot to show a photo of your family? I mean, that's not a normal thing.

- Will be weird now for Jenner and Gaudreau who both made comments in support of the coach. I'm sure they were asked to do so, but clearly, that flies against some guys who were really not happy and willing to talk about that to both Bissonette and the NHLPA.

- The other thing that remains really under-reported. Columbus did not hire Babcock thinking he was warm and cuddly now. They might be hoping he didn't do something as blatant as embarrassing Marner in front of all his teammates with a list he forced Marner to make on ranking all teammates on work ethic - but they know his style. They know he's a jerk and that he grinds and grinds and grinds on his players. That's what they signed up for. If you look at Kekelainen's coaching hires, he hired Tortorella and kept him for 6 years, even when it was clear that some of his best players were really wanting out of that relationship. Then he promoted Torts' assistant Brad Larsen - I know nothing about his style but he only lasted two seasons. Then it was right back to the old school hard-edged coach in Babcock.

So while I doubt he ever thought things could blow up so fast, he fully intended to make his players less comfortable by bringing in this guy. They knew what they were getting and they signed him anyhow. And now this is the result.

- Finally, the big positive from this is that it might make teams ask themselves if it's worth it before bringing back some other disgraced former coaches. Bill Peters has been working to position himself for a return for some time, and is coaching kids in Medicine Hat this year with the Tigers. You know he's hoping that a little success there and he's right back in the NHL, but hopefully this stalls that a little - and maybe even gives young players some outlet if there's mistreatment in junior.

Actually Peters is coaching the Lethbridge Hurricanes. I'm surprised at 2 things, that Peters didn't immediately take ownership after he left Calgary and avoid a return to hockey only until after undertaking a journey of self improvement (made public), and secondly, that he landed a job in the WHL after failing by accounts to do the first.

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825538 is a reply to message #825533 ]
Mon, 25 September 2023 14:13 Go to previous message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2023 13:17

Actually Peters is coaching the Lethbridge Hurricanes. I'm surprised at 2 things, that Peters didn't immediately take ownership after he left Calgary and avoid a return to hockey only until after undertaking a journey of self improvement (made public), and secondly, that he landed a job in the WHL after failing by accounts to do the first.

My apologies to the Medicine Hat Tigers.

It's actually a little shocking that both Peters and Babcock were able to more easily get back in to coaching working with young players. I mean, who wants their kids subjected to those kinds of behaviours?

I will be cheering against the Hurricanes this year.

Re: Mike Babcock [message #825469 is a reply to message #825461 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 13:07

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2023 11:37

And go ...

Kr55 trusts someone that talks about themselves in the 3rd person :)

Yeah! You said it!

I actually couldn't think of a more Mike Babcock way for Mike Babcock to go out. Mike Babcock never saw that happening to Mike Babcock.

Kr55 is unimpressed by someone misquoting Kr55!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/babcock_mike.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Summer 2023 Signings and Trades...
Next Topic:Ducks new coach
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca