This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825492]
Thu, 21 September 2023 09:42 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

https://x.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1704880714398003449?s=20

Michael Parkatti has been named the #Oilers Senior Director, Data & Analytics! 📊

Working closely with the hockey operations department, Parkatti will lead the creation & operation of a new analytics department, providing insight-driven recommendations for the team.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825493 is a reply to message #825492 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 09:42

Quote:

Michael Parkatti has been named the #Oilers Senior Director, Data & Analytics! 📊

Working closely with the hockey operations department, Parkatti will lead the creation & operation of a new analytics department, providing insight-driven recommendations for the team.

That is a very interesting hire. Big break with the past here. Parkatti is one of the original analytics guys, and grew up an Oilers fan.

Here's hoping the team actually plans to listen to the data though and we're not running simply on Holland hunches any more.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825494 is a reply to message #825492 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 09:42

Quote:

What? We so desperate we are hiring analytics bloggers?

I kid. Hopefully helps a lot. Should make oilers fan analytics twitter world happy

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825496 is a reply to message #825492 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I remember that he won the Oilers' hackathon back in 2013 (I was actually runner up to him).

I recall that part of the first place prize was the chance to work with the Oilers' analytics team, but I wasn't sure it ever happened since the Oiler management was in such flux at the time. I wonder if he's been working casually with them for a while and this is a promotion.

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825497 is a reply to message #825496 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 10:59

I remember that he won the Oilers' hackathon back in 2013 (I was actually runner up to him).

I recall that part of the first place prize was the chance to work with the Oilers' analytics team, but I wasn't sure it ever happened since the Oiler management was in such flux at the time. I wonder if he's been working casually with them for a while and this is a promotion.

According to a couple articles (and Parkatti's LinkedIn), he did some consulting for 2 years, ending in 2015. Who knows how much the Oilers were listening to him at that time. Would have been similar timing to Dellow's stint with the Oilers, and by all accounts, while he had a role, he wasn't really valued by MacT, Lowe, etc. That was all jettisoned by Chiarelli.

Congrats on runner-up there! That's pretty awesome. What did you write on? Anything you can share?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825498 is a reply to message #825497 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wasn’t Dellow around when MacT went all in on analytics signing the darlings Mark Fayne and Benoit Pouliot to bigger contracts then necessary?

I also think by the way Eakins spoke, Dellow had his ear. If I remember correctly Eakins teams had good numbers for shot attempts for, if you ignored shot quality. I remember him saying that the perfect game of hockey is when you have 0 hits because then you had the puck all of the time.

Clean house or bust

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825499 is a reply to message #825498 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I can't see this move as anything but a good move. Based on an interview with Gregor yesterday, sounds like Jackson sees analytics like I do. It's another tool in the tool box. It shouldn't be the only tool you use but one of them.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 September 2023 12:19]

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825501 is a reply to message #825498 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 12:02

Wasn’t Dellow around when MacT went all in on analytics signing the darlings Mark Fayne and Benoit Pouliot to bigger contracts then necessary?

I also think by the way Eakins spoke, Dellow had his ear. If I remember correctly Eakins teams had good numbers for shot attempts for, if you ignored shot quality. I remember him saying that the perfect game of hockey is when you have 0 hits because then you had the puck all of the time.

Yeah, Eakins went 100% in on Corsi being the key to success. So, anything you could do to reduce Corsi's against and increase them for, it would increase your odds of winning. Unfortunately that led to figuring out that you could get loads of Corsi's if you shot from anywhere, and at the same time, we should reduce the other teams ability to shoot from anywhere by just rushing them in our zone, which usually lead to chasing to the boards and leaving guys open in the middle of the ice. Think Eakins said he cracked the code on winning with analytics on his way out, he was proud of how he was able to get our corsi's moving in the right direction. And of course, even though the temporary set back of success demanded his unfair firing, Craig was on it.

Dellow even got to present directly to the team all the great Corsi % maximizing strategies.

I think Dellow evolved since then and recognized the failings. Eakins, not sure he learned much. The Ducks certainly don't go to the extremes that the Eakins experiment went to here, but they still suck pretty bad and Gibson needs to get the heck out of there before Eakins runs him further through the floor :)

[Updated on: Thu, 21 September 2023 12:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825502 is a reply to message #825501 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 12:35

Yeah, Eakins went 100% in on Corsi being the key to success. So, anything you could do to reduce Corsi's against and increase them for, it would increase your odds of winning. Unfortunately that led to figuring out that you could get loads of Corsi's if you shot from anywhere, and at the same time, we should reduce the other teams ability to shoot from anywhere by just rushing them in our zone, which usually lead to chasing to the boards and leaving guys open in the middle of the ice. Think Eakins said he cracked the code on winning with analytics on his way out, he was proud of how he was able to get our corsi's moving in the right direction. And of course, even though the temporary set back of success demanded his unfair firing, Craig was on it.

Dellow even got to present directly to the team all the great Corsi % maximizing strategies.

I think Dellow evolved since then and recognized the failings. Eakins, not sure he learned much. The Ducks certainly don't go to the extremes that the Eakins experiment went to here, but they still suck pretty bad and Gibson needs to get the heck out of there before Eakins runs him further through the floor :)

Dallas got ditched by the Ducks this summer, I believe. Gibson may yet rebound!

I think the Oilers went out of their way to say that Dellow was brought in on Eakins request and after Eakins was shown the door, it was always just a matter of time for Dellow. I will say, while I think Dellow is a really smart guy, he always had some blind spots. I'm not sure he'd be my first choice to lead my analytics group - I'll always remember him arguing in here that Conklin was a preferable goalie to Martin Brodeur.

He still might have been more able to help on the player acquisition side than he was on the coaching side.

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825503 is a reply to message #825502 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 14:19

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 12:35

Dallas got ditched by the Ducks this summer, I believe. Gibson may yet rebound!

I think the Oilers went out of their way to say that Dellow was brought in on Eakins request and after Eakins was shown the door, it was always just a matter of time for Dellow. I will say, while I think Dellow is a really smart guy, he always had some blind spots. I'm not sure he'd be my first choice to lead my analytics group - I'll always remember him arguing in here that Conklin was a preferable goalie to Martin Brodeur.

He still might have been more able to help on the player acquisition side than he was on the coaching side.

Forgot Eakins got the boot. Hope they keep stinking!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825504 is a reply to message #825497 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 11:26

According to a couple articles (and Parkatti's LinkedIn), he did some consulting for 2 years, ending in 2015. Who knows how much the Oilers were listening to him at that time. Would have been similar timing to Dellow's stint with the Oilers, and by all accounts, while he had a role, he wasn't really valued by MacT, Lowe, etc. That was all jettisoned by Chiarelli.

Congrats on runner-up there! That's pretty awesome. What did you write on? Anything you can share?

We were given enormous data sets containing data from all of NHL history. I attempted to make a predictive model that would determine which variables were most relevant in determining when a player was due for a big improvement or setback to their most recent season. I then provided a list of the top 50 players that were likely going to break out, and the top 50 that were likely to slip back. I made the argument that the former should be targeted (or re-signed) while the latter should be avoided (or traded/let go).

For second place I got two autographed Oiler Jerseys (I picked Hall and Nugent-Hopkins figuring they were the most likely to have value--still have them obviously) and got to attend a game in the pressbox with some members of the Oilers public relations team (one was former equipment manager Barrie Stafford). I remember they took my information and they said they would contact me about potentially working with the analytics team, but they never did get back to me. I got the impression that the contest was started under the Tambellini reign, and lost steam once he was gone (I could be wrong about this). It was a fun night though (it was a rare night in 2014 when the Oilers actually managed a late goal to tie the game and win in OT) and I got to meet many of the Oilers' and Islanders' media guys. Wayne Gretzky was actually in the building that night, but unfortunately never came up to the press box (I've still never met him).

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825506 is a reply to message #825504 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 15:10

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 11:26

We were given enormous data sets containing data from all of NHL history. I attempted to make a predictive model that would determine which variables were most relevant in determining when a player was due for a big improvement or setback to their most recent season. I then provided a list of the top 50 players that were likely going to break out, and the top 50 that were likely to slip back. I made the argument that the former should be targeted (or re-signed) while the latter should be avoided (or traded/let go).

For second place I got two autographed Oiler Jerseys (I picked Hall and Nugent-Hopkins figuring they were the most likely to have value--still have them obviously) and got to attend a game in the pressbox with some members of the Oilers public relations team (one was former equipment manager Barrie Stafford). I remember they took my information and they said they would contact me about potentially working with the analytics team, but they never did get back to me. I got the impression that the contest was started under the Tambellini reign, and lost steam once he was gone (I could be wrong about this). It was a fun night though (it was a rare night in 2014 when the Oilers actually managed a late goal to tie the game and win in OT) and I got to meet many of the Oilers' and Islanders' media guys. Wayne Gretzky was actually in the building that night, but unfortunately never came up to the press box (I've still never met him).

That's awesome. Have you ever looked back at your recommendation lists to see how your predictions played out?

Also, as a complete aside, a few years ago a former colleague got a game and dinner at Rogers Place through a charity auction. Barrie Stafford hosted us at dinner and that man is a gem. Was great through dinner, told great stories, and while his obligation to us really ended when we finished eating, he went the extra mile. He showed us to our seats, called over Louie DeBrusk to chat with us, then came back in the second period saying "I was talking about Ron Low at dinner - ran in to him so wanted to bring him over to introduce you."

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825507 is a reply to message #825492 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You can read his past blogposts here: http://boysonthebus.com/

Clean house or bust

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825508 is a reply to message #825507 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2023 16:11

You can read his past blogposts here: http://boysonthebus.com/

I enjoy his analysis of the odds Neal would get 20 goals and 10 more than Looch. Was a ~16% chance in the end.

Too bad he forgot to factor in the NHL just making crap up to give the Lames the pick anyways :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics [message #825509 is a reply to message #825492 ]
Thu, 21 September 2023 23:32 Go to previous message

6 Cups

If our goalies struggle again this year, what are the odds that Parkatti creates a presentation displaying how we have a guy in our org that has survived multiple GM, POHO and coach changes while we have allowed every goalie working under him to regress in their time here?

Some low hanging fruit to impress Jackson off the hop.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight
Next Topic:Yakupov Interview
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca