Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825474]
Wed, 20 September 2023 10:38 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Hard to debate those choices really...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825476 is a reply to message #825474 ]
Wed, 20 September 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I'm glad they're finally admitting some non-glory years players exist. Weight was so good here. Shame about the cup he won though.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825487 is a reply to message #825474 ]
Wed, 20 September 2023 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Good choices.

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825510 is a reply to message #825474 ]
Fri, 22 September 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Doug Weight is a major reason I became an Oiler fan. Yes, it's true that I wasn't a Glory Days Oiler fan. I was a Flyer fan. From Clarke to the Tim Kerr era etc. Back then there was no internet. I could only glean Flyer player stats in the Tuesday newspaper. In the evening I would hope to see some highlights on ITV etc, but they would often just post the score or if they showed highlights, it might only be one or two goals. It sucked. Then I moved from Cold Lake to Edmonton. Daily coverage of the local team. Tickets that were easy to acquire at the time. I started taking interest in a hardworking hockey team pretty much devoid of the Oilers I loathed (ok....envied). It was hard not to admire Weight. He was a damn good hockey player. I really liked following that underdog club. The rest is history.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825511 is a reply to message #825510 ]
Fri, 22 September 2023 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 22 September 2023 11:29

Doug Weight is a major reason I became an Oiler fan. Yes, it's true that I wasn't a Glory Days Oiler fan. I was a Flyer fan. From Clarke to the Tim Kerr era etc. Back then there was no internet. I could only glean Flyer player stats in the Tuesday newspaper. In the evening I would hope to see some highlights on ITV etc, but they would often just post the score or if they showed highlights, it might only be one or two goals. It sucked. Then I moved from Cold Lake to Edmonton. Daily coverage of the local team. Tickets that were easy to acquire at the time. I started taking interest in a hardworking hockey team pretty much devoid of the Oilers I loathed (ok....envied). It was hard not to admire Weight. He was a damn good hockey player. I really liked following that underdog club. The rest is history.

So we should rub in the 1985 and 1987 Cup wins when talking to you then?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825512 is a reply to message #825511 ]
Fri, 22 September 2023 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 22 September 2023 13:46

I know the '88 team when 16-2, but '85 going 15-3 might have been the best playoff club.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825515 is a reply to message #825512 ]
Fri, 22 September 2023 20:46 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 September 2023 15:01

I know the '88 team when 16-2, but '85 going 15-3 might have been the best playoff club.

Regardless of the record, the 1987 team might have been the best. Messier/Anderson/Nilsson would have been one of the top 5 lines in the league that year and that was our second line. Also Coffey still there, plus Routsalainen. Huddy, Lowe, Gregg, Muni, Steve Smith starting to come in to his own. I think the team went 7 d-men for pretty much the whole playoffs so they could double shift the top forwards.

Re: Ring of Honour Oilers - Huddy & Weight [message #825514 is a reply to message #825511 ]
Fri, 22 September 2023 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

It won’t make it through the callus. As I stated. Alberta resident at the time. 😊

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Previous Topic:Brandon Sutter signed to PTO
Next Topic:Michael Parkatti - Senior Director, Analytics
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca