F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825142]
Thu, 03 August 2023 08:52 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-daryl-katz-names-jef f-jackson-oilers-ceo-of-hockey-operations/c-345510072

Quote:

EDMONTON, AB - OEG Inc. owner and Chairman Daryl Katz is excited to announce Jeff Jackson has been named the new CEO of Hockey Operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club. His appointment is effective August 3, 2023.

In his new role, Jackson will report directly to Katz and serve as an Alternate Governor on the NHL Board of Governors. He will oversee all aspects of OEGSE's NHL, AHL and WHL hockey operations. Jackson will work closely with Ken Holland, who continues in his role as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers and will report to Jackson. Paul Coffey, who has been with the Oilers as a Special Advisor to Daryl Katz for more than a year and has been integral to bringing Jeff to OEGSE, will also assist Jackson in his new role with the organization.

Jackson has experienced the NHL from every critical perspective a team's leader could require. Following an eight-year professional playing career, he practiced corporate and entertainment law at a leading national law firm. In 2006 he joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as Assistant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations and during his four years in that role, also served as the General Manager and Governor of the Toronto Marlies in the AHL. In 2010, he launched his own agency with former Oilers first-round draft pick Sam Gagner as his first NHL client. In the 13 years since, Jeff has played an instrumental part in building what is now Wasserman Hockey, a leading global agency known for representing iconic sports figures and many elite talents of the NHL -- including Connor McDavid.

"This is a big commitment to the long-term success of our organization," said Katz. "Jeff has well-established relationships across the NHL, including a strong relationship with Ken Holland. He brings tremendous industry insight, knowledge and leadership built through a unique career experience that is ideal for this leadership role at OEGSE. He understands what it takes to build an elite organization for the modern NHL and will work closely with Ken and our whole team to put the Oilers in the best possible position to win."

"This is an exciting day for Oilers fans and the organization. Jeff is highly respected across the NHL and brings unique experience as a former player, Assistant General Manager and, most recently, as one of the most influential agents in the business," said Holland. "It is a real coup for Oilers fans to have Jeff join the organization and I look forward to working closely with him as we continue our drive for a Stanley Cup."

"I can't think of a more exciting franchise to join or a better opportunity for me to put into practice everything I have learned during the past three decades in and around the NHL," said Jackson. "Daryl Katz, Ken Holland, Bob Nicholson, Jay Woodcroft and the entire group have built an outstanding foundation for success. I'm privileged to join Daryl, Ken and the entire Oilers staff in the pursuit of a Stanley Cup championship in the short term and in realizing the full and exceptional potential of the entire organization in the long term. On behalf of my family, I also want to say how thrilled we are to join the Edmonton Oilers organization and the Edmonton community. I am very appreciative of the opportunity to help lead such a storied NHL franchise."

"Jeff and I have had a long and fruitful relationship, and I have witnessed his care, relentlessness, and obvious knowledge of the game and industry firsthand," said McDavid. "I look forward to working with Jeff in his new role, and am excited about what this means for the future of the Oilers.

"I'm excited about this next chapter for me and to continue to be represented by Wasserman on and off the ice, with Judd Moldaver as my agent and Adam Philips, my longtime manager, handling day-to-day matters."

The Oilers will host a media availability at Rogers Place on Thursday, August 3 at 2pm MT with Jeff Jackson and Ken Holland that can be viewed exclusively on OilersPlus.com.

The significant part of this is that Jackson was Connor McDavid’s agent.

Other moves:
- Nicholson will stay on as Special Advisor, Hockey Operations
- McDavid’s new agent is Judd Moldaver, the agent for Auston Matthews.
- Paul Coffey is definitely still getting a pay cheque.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 August 2023 08:54]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825144 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 08:52

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-daryl-katz-names-jef f-jackson-oilers-ceo-of-hockey-operations/c-345510072

Quote:

EDMONTON, AB - OEG Inc. owner and Chairman Daryl Katz is excited to announce Jeff Jackson has been named the new CEO of Hockey Operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club. His appointment is effective August 3, 2023.

In his new role, Jackson will report directly to Katz and serve as an Alternate Governor on the NHL Board of Governors. He will oversee all aspects of OEGSE's NHL, AHL and WHL hockey operations. Jackson will work closely with Ken Holland, who continues in his role as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers and will report to Jackson. Paul Coffey, who has been with the Oilers as a Special Advisor to Daryl Katz for more than a year and has been integral to bringing Jeff to OEGSE, will also assist Jackson in his new role with the organization.

Jackson has experienced the NHL from every critical perspective a team's leader could require. Following an eight-year professional playing career, he practiced corporate and entertainment law at a leading national law firm. In 2006 he joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as Assistant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations and during his four years in that role, also served as the General Manager and Governor of the Toronto Marlies in the AHL. In 2010, he launched his own agency with former Oilers first-round draft pick Sam Gagner as his first NHL client. In the 13 years since, Jeff has played an instrumental part in building what is now Wasserman Hockey, a leading global agency known for representing iconic sports figures and many elite talents of the NHL -- including Connor McDavid.

"This is a big commitment to the long-term success of our organization," said Katz. "Jeff has well-established relationships across the NHL, including a strong relationship with Ken Holland. He brings tremendous industry insight, knowledge and leadership built through a unique career experience that is ideal for this leadership role at OEGSE. He understands what it takes to build an elite organization for the modern NHL and will work closely with Ken and our whole team to put the Oilers in the best possible position to win."

"This is an exciting day for Oilers fans and the organization. Jeff is highly respected across the NHL and brings unique experience as a former player, Assistant General Manager and, most recently, as one of the most influential agents in the business," said Holland. "It is a real coup for Oilers fans to have Jeff join the organization and I look forward to working closely with him as we continue our drive for a Stanley Cup."

"I can't think of a more exciting franchise to join or a better opportunity for me to put into practice everything I have learned during the past three decades in and around the NHL," said Jackson. "Daryl Katz, Ken Holland, Bob Nicholson, Jay Woodcroft and the entire group have built an outstanding foundation for success. I'm privileged to join Daryl, Ken and the entire Oilers staff in the pursuit of a Stanley Cup championship in the short term and in realizing the full and exceptional potential of the entire organization in the long term. On behalf of my family, I also want to say how thrilled we are to join the Edmonton Oilers organization and the Edmonton community. I am very appreciative of the opportunity to help lead such a storied NHL franchise."

"Jeff and I have had a long and fruitful relationship, and I have witnessed his care, relentlessness, and obvious knowledge of the game and industry firsthand," said McDavid. "I look forward to working with Jeff in his new role, and am excited about what this means for the future of the Oilers.

"I'm excited about this next chapter for me and to continue to be represented by Wasserman on and off the ice, with Judd Moldaver as my agent and Adam Philips, my longtime manager, handling day-to-day matters."

The Oilers will host a media availability at Rogers Place on Thursday, August 3 at 2pm MT with Jeff Jackson and Ken Holland that can be viewed exclusively on OilersPlus.com.

Other moves:

#FireCoffey

Nicholson joins the Lowe club I guess, job for life no matter how bad they did in past roles.

Feels like a move with focus on that next McDavid contract in mind. Got someone extremely close with McDavid on our side now for the next negotiation. Also a nice message to McDavid's new agent that if he wants an executive position in the NHL one day, there is one here waiting for him, as long as the relationship is good.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 August 2023 09:24]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825145 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

He sounds qualified.

This should not be statement one needs to make, but in the past we have taken less than and floundered because of it. On paper this seems like a win for the Oilers.

Couple small questions:
How does Nicholson still have any employment in this league?
What exactly does Paul Coffey do?
What impact does this have on McDavid's future?

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825147 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Some other interesting parts to this.

Connor Brown and Evan Bouchard were also in Jackson’s agency.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825148 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 07:52

Quote:

Other moves:

Don't know how much this will help the next McDavid contract negotiations.. but it won't hurt.

Personally.. if I was Katz I'd offer McDavid a piece of the team ownership.

I suspect the move might come now, instead of later, to pre-empt any pending charges coming for 5 of the 2018 Team Canada juniors (rumour has it its coming), and dissociate direct links to Hockey Canada.. even though B.N. had left HC 4 years before the 2018 events happened..

I have no problem with Paul Coffey being associated with the team.. I've heard him discuss hockey he's dialed in.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825151 is a reply to message #825148 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

There is no cap for management. If you can in quality people to add to your management staff, I think it's a good thing. This also seems like a succession plan for Nicholson as by all accounts he's done after this year.

I think it looks like a good move.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825170 is a reply to message #825151 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 13:25

There is no cap for management. If you can in quality people to add to your management staff, I think it's a good thing. This also seems like a succession plan for Nicholson as by all accounts he's done after this year.

Too many voices can be bad though. Especially when voices that can give bad advice demand respect and supersede the opinions of others, that could be much better, because of their past success. That's basically the entire problem with this org for years, although it's questionable how many better opinions we actually allowed into the rooms for a lot of that time, probably mostly just bad ideas being tossed around for a lot of it.

We got hints from media that Coffey was getting involved in the D strategy last year while we saw our D chasing players 40 ft from the net, which played a huge part in our season ending. That's the kind of potential danger you could get into bringing in guys who only have "former NHL player when defensive systems were 1/10th of what they are today" and "coached son's hockey team" on their resume like Coffey when we hired him to look after our D development. Who knows what really happened, but it's still a mystery why we just threw out the window our defending strategy that turned the 21/22 season around when Woodcroft took over.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 August 2023 15:16]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825171 is a reply to message #825170 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 15:09

Too many voices can be bad though. Especially when voices that can give bad advice demand respect and supersede the opinions of others, that could be much better, because of their past success. That's basically the entire problem with this org for years, although it's questionable how many better opinions we actually allowed into the rooms for a lot of that time, probably mostly just bad ideas being tossed around for a lot of it.

We got hints from media that Coffey was getting involved in the D strategy last year while we saw our D chasing players 40 ft from the net, which played a huge part in our season ending. That's the kind of potential danger you could get into bringing in guys who only have "former NHL player when defensive systems were 1/10th of what they are today" and "coached son's hockey team" on their resume like Coffey when we hired him to look after our D development. Who knows what really happened, but it's still a mystery why we just threw out the window our defending strategy that turned the 21/22 season around when Woodcroft took over.

Yeah, I hate having random alumni in shadowy roles that might get paid, but definitely seem to have some influence on team actions.

You missed "former Oilers skills coach" on your Paul Coffey resume though! True he only showed up for a few practices and was so hated by McLellan that McLellan went to leak the whole damn thing to Mark Spector, but he still held the role for a little while!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825172 is a reply to message #825171 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 15:35

Yeah, I hate having random alumni in shadowy roles that might get paid, but definitely seem to have some influence on team actions.

You missed "former Oilers skills coach" on your Paul Coffey resume though! True he only showed up for a few practices and was so hated by McLellan that McLellan went to leak the whole damn thing to Mark Spector, but he still held the role for a little while!

I also missed "tells great stories over drinks with Katz" too, which may actually be more important for getting hired than any other credential mentioned.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825175 is a reply to message #825172 ]
Sat, 05 August 2023 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 15:48

I also missed "tells great stories over drinks with Katz" too, which may actually be more important for getting hired than any other credential mentioned.

This narrative is pure speculation. I used to believe in it, but c’mon now.

Also too many voices in a room? Isn’t the past complaint tgat we didn’t have enough voices in the room?

This hire is being viewed by others around the league as a solid acquisition. I get that the past has ruined most of us, but at some point you can be cautiously optimistic about change. Is a new owner (without Alberta ties) the only hope for positive change?

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825179 is a reply to message #825175 ]
Sat, 05 August 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 13:00

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 15:48

This narrative is pure speculation. I used to believe in it, but c’mon now.

Also too many voices in a room? Isn’t the past complaint tgat we didn’t have enough voices in the room?

This hire is being viewed by others around the league as a solid acquisition. I get that the past has ruined most of us, but at some point you can be cautiously optimistic about change. Is a new owner (without Alberta ties) the only hope for positive change?

I think the complain has been too much of the same voice, OBC boys and their friends. Maybe this new hire is a change from that, but he's still surrounded by OBC and the buddies. 1 new voice can get drowned out surrounded by a bunch of people with the same voice that demand more authority, and with a better relationship with the boss. But guess we'll see where this goes.

Not many people in this league have questioned our hiring practices. I wouldn't expect that to change for Coffey. Not like he had any track record in NHL coaching/management before coming here, seems like a smart guy chatting, so what is there to critique aside from how the Oilers are just doing what they have done forever? Let the results speak for themselves. Comments that he was helping with D came out multiple times last season, and I saw our D playing like total fools, game destroying errors chasing players away from the net (hilariously pointed out by our opposition between periods as something they could take advantage of) in key moments. In the end I suppose we can't really do much but hope Coffey's expertise on defensive systems in our zone shine through.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 August 2023 14:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825188 is a reply to message #825179 ]
Mon, 07 August 2023 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 13:41

I think the complain has been too much of the same voice, OBC boys and their friends. Maybe this new hire is a change from that, but he's still surrounded by OBC and the buddies. 1 new voice can get drowned out surrounded by a bunch of people with the same voice that demand more authority, and with a better relationship with the boss. But guess we'll see where this goes.

It's also just that it's the same group of people that have hired all of the previous people, and despite overhauling the management group more than once, it's just same old, same old. They don't exactly have a track record of hiring people who will challenge the status quo.

The nepotism hires are a perfect example of this. There's a reason that every GM they've brought in has felt comfortable hiring their family to work for the team. It's obviously not discouraged and maybe is even encouraged (at least tacitly, since they can see that a bunch of other people are there solely because they're related to or friends with someone in authority), but it's a problem imo.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825191 is a reply to message #825188 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 07 August 2023 11:24

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 13:41

It's also just that it's the same group of people that have hired all of the previous people, and despite overhauling the management group more than once, it's just same old, same old. They don't exactly have a track record of hiring people who will challenge the status quo.

The nepotism hires are a perfect example of this. There's a reason that every GM they've brought in has felt comfortable hiring their family to work for the team. It's obviously not discouraged and maybe is even encouraged (at least tacitly, since they can see that a bunch of other people are there solely because they're related to or friends with someone in authority), but it's a problem imo.

This is exactly it. The Oilers haven't hesitated to add more bodies at the very top of the organization. They're happy to have more of their friends get big dollars from Katz to puzzle out why things aren't working and which third liner is to blame this year for their failure.

But they tend to hire mostly people who they know think the same way they do. They don't like to be challenged with new ideas.

And while they spend great gobs of cash having two to three Vice Chairs, and a myriad of other VP positions for old hockey guys with ties to the 1980s team or to Team Canada, they spend all their money on the top and then don't have any money for advanced analytics, or scouting or player concierge or anything else - but they spend millions and millions on Holland, Nicholson, Lowe, Coffey, etc. etc.

I hope that Jackson is a breath of fresh air and he brings some new ideas to the table, but I think the optics of Coffey influencing hiring because he happens to have the ear of the owner are poor, and he lacks any relevant experience. It may as well be one of us whispering our suggestions to Katz. It's worse maybe, because he's been disruptive in the past.

I'm not at all a fan of McLellan, but the Spector story (which was extremely clearly directly from McLellan) showed a great deal of dysfunction. Parachuting in an extra coach who just shows up when he feels like it isn't a great look. If that guy spends most of his time chatting with the owner and the top brass instead of the rest of the coaching staff, then it's unclear who has authority and it creates a weird dynamic. It's similar to the Cleveland Browns story where the owner was hiring the GM and coach separately, and then asking them to critique each other's performance. The fact that it was so bad that McLellan had to go give a friendly reporter a scathing story, bringing up "red wine summits" as part of it? I mean, wow.

That guy now has another much higher role in the organization. If I'm looking for silver linings, then at least it's out in the open that he's playing a role now, not just a shadow position, and at least it's been a few years since he was suspended from being a minor minor league coach.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825153 is a reply to message #825148 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 12:23

Quote:

Other moves:

Don't know how much this will help the next McDavid contract negotiations.. but it won't hurt.

I suspect the move might come now, instead of later, to pre-empt any pending charges coming for 5 of the 2018 Team Canada juniors (rumour has it its coming), and dissociate direct links to Hockey Canada.. even though B.N. had left HC 4 years before the 2018 events happened..

I have no problem with Paul Coffey being associated with the team.. I've heard him discuss hockey he's dialed in.

If we're looking at McDavid's perspective and how he views the future of this org, how do we think seeing bumbling idiot Nicholson blaming Toby Rieder for lost seasons leading the org vs. someone that has probably been as close as any non-family member/friend can be to McDavid since early in his career that he has full faith in?

Maybe it's still not enough in the end, but for sure this definitely does not hurt for us trying to sell the future to McDavid in a couple years.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825176 is a reply to message #825153 ]
Sat, 05 August 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 13:34

Quote:

Other moves:

If we're looking at McDavid's perspective and how he views the future of this org, how do we think seeing bumbling idiot Nicholson blaming Toby Rieder for lost seasons leading the org vs. someone that has probably been as close as any non-family member/friend can be to McDavid since early in his career that he has full faith in?

Maybe it's still not enough in the end, but for sure this definitely does not hurt for us trying to sell the future to McDavid in a couple years.

The Toby Reider comment will be so list in the shuffle it’s a nothing burger. There are lots of reasons to get on the Oilers dumpster fire bash but missteps in the media happen to every team. We just live and breathe this organization. This is our focus.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825178 is a reply to message #825176 ]
Sat, 05 August 2023 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 13:06

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 13:34

Quote:

Other moves:

The Toby Reider comment will be so list in the shuffle it’s a nothing burger. There are lots of reasons to get on the Oilers dumpster fire bash but missteps in the media happen to every team. We just live and breathe this organization. This is our focus.

It's just one funny example in the overall pattern of failure. But it's a great example for anyone that has paid attention. That embarrassing season ticket holder lunch (that across the entire league was mocked, not just here) was a highly concentrated sample of what has kept this org from making proper use of 2 of, if not the, best players in the league.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825161 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Thu, 03 August 2023 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

In retrospect .. it does look positive for a long term outlook for McDavid as an Oiler.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2oKUXAXMAExf-V?format=jpg&name=small

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825164 is a reply to message #825161 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 16:03

In retrospect .. it does look positive for a long term outlook for McDavid as an Oiler.

Pretty sure Judd Muldaver wrote that statement icon_wink

Overall, this is probably helpful in keeping McDavid with the Oilers, but beyond that, we'll see.

It's hard to be optimistic about anything the Oilers do management-wise. After all, the group that hired Jackson are the same group that hired Nicholson, Chiarelli, Holland et al.

Assuming that Holland is done after this year, I think whomever Jackson hires as the next GM will be a big tell.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825166 is a reply to message #825164 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oh yeah I think it was probably written like a week ago.. :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825167 is a reply to message #825164 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 10:23

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 August 2023 16:03

Pretty sure Judd Muldaver wrote that statement icon_wink

Overall, this is probably helpful in keeping McDavid with the Oilers, but beyond that, we'll see.

It's hard to be optimistic about anything the Oilers do management-wise. After all, the group that hired Jackson are the same group that hired Nicholson, Chiarelli, Holland et al.

Assuming that Holland is done after this year, I think whomever Jackson hires as the next GM will be a big tell.

And who knows how close McDavid and his agent are. I mean, I'm sure Jackson loves Connor. He's made him a lot of money. But I don't think that having him as CEO makes any of our future contract negotiations much changed (other than that we should have someone who understands how the agents are approaching it, which could lead to better positioning from our management). I don't think that Gillis got a flood of former clients to Vancouver when he was there, or Barnett to Arizona when he moved to management.

I don't know if this changes the calculus at all for McDavid, but anything that pushes Nicholson closer to the edge has to be seen as a little bit of a positive. I feel WAAAAY more comfortable with virtually anyone leading the next GM search.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825168 is a reply to message #825167 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 11:45

I don't know if this changes the calculus at all for McDavid, but anything that pushes Nicholson closer to the edge has to be seen as a little bit of a positive. I feel WAAAAY more comfortable with virtually anyone leading the next GM search.

I think that there's probably something to the idea that Jackson will have better insight into what Connor thinks is important, he probably also has some understanding of areas where Connor might think the organization is lacking.

Having said that, I don't think that just doing whatever Connor McDavid wants is necessarily the best course of action for the organization overall, but it probably, (at least in the short term), has some impact on McDavid's decision on where his next contract is signed.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825169 is a reply to message #825168 ]
Fri, 04 August 2023 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 13:39

Adam wrote on Fri, 04 August 2023 11:45

I think that there's probably something to the idea that Jackson will have better insight into what Connor thinks is important, he probably also has some understanding of areas where Connor might think the organization is lacking.

Having said that, I don't think that just doing whatever Connor McDavid wants is necessarily the best course of action for the organization overall, but it probably, (at least in the short term), has some impact on McDavid's decision on where his next contract is signed.

When you can't do what it actually takes to win (shed all the dead weight in management and actually make every hire with as much confidence as you can have you are hiring the best person for the job), I think keeping McDavid becomes the #1 focus. That's is who you are selling to the fans when it's hard to sell actual team success. McDavid highlights are your cover to stop people from looking at how poorly things are run in the offices. I think many moves will be made in the next 2 years with McDavid's next negotiation in mind.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825177 is a reply to message #825142 ]
Sat, 05 August 2023 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Aside from removing Nicholson entirely (it appears to be imminent), what could the Oilers do gain the trust of this fan page?

A mass overhaul of all its management team would look like a huge desperation move at this moment. I would to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt until given a reason to believe otherwise.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825186 is a reply to message #825177 ]
Sun, 06 August 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Not a complete groaner, and we get rid of the potential connection (sort of) to Hockey Canada with some tough times coming PR-wise.

Having McDavid's former agent is great, I agree with that, but having Auston Matthews agent as his agent now is worrying. Auston moved the needle for the second contract, and his agent know's how to work the CBA more effectively to get his player paid.

If Auston signs for $14m / season, he'll slightly pass Connor's career earnings by a few hundred K by the time Connor's deal is up. That's eye opening when I look at Auston's 85pts last year compared to Connor's 153pts. Taking it to career stats and Connor is leading 850pts to 542pts for AM.

Connor's new agent will likely be highlighting the fact not signing the same deal as Auston cost him nearly $10m and the ability to pick his spot.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825190 is a reply to message #825186 ]
Mon, 07 August 2023 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Sun, 06 August 2023 22:32

Not a complete groaner, and we get rid of the potential connection (sort of) to Hockey Canada with some tough times coming PR-wise.

Having McDavid's former agent is great, I agree with that, but having Auston Matthews agent as his agent now is worrying. Auston moved the needle for the second contract, and his agent know's how to work the CBA more effectively to get his player paid.

If Auston signs for $14m / season, he'll slightly pass Connor's career earnings by a few hundred K by the time Connor's deal is up. That's eye opening when I look at Auston's 85pts last year compared to Connor's 153pts. Taking it to career stats and Connor is leading 850pts to 542pts for AM.

Connor's new agent will likely be highlighting the fact not signing the same deal as Auston cost him nearly $10m and the ability to pick his spot.

I don't think McDavid needs another telling him about lost money. All he had to do was get to an offer sheet and have multiple teams offer him max cap %.

The only difficulty with McDavid is being able to convince him he won't waste his career here by extending.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825194 is a reply to message #825177 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 05 August 2023 12:12

Aside from removing Nicholson entirely (it appears to be imminent), what could the Oilers do gain the trust of this fan page?

Become a competent decision making organization.

That would start with:

- Removing Holland and Nicholson, those responsible for overseeing just 3 playoff series wins in 4 and 8 years respectively of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl's prime. Never won the division. Never a top 5 finish. That's a huge failure considering the gift we got.

- Removing all glory days Oilers from any sort of executive this VP that position. Kevin Lowe and Paul Coffey are Alumni, and not qualified voices on running a business or hockey team.

- Removing all the hires which clearly were at the suggestion of glory days Oilers. I doubt Steve Staios and Wayne Gretzky's brother were interviewed for their high ranking assistant GM positions. Even if they were, I doubt there were other candidates. It's a fundamentally flawed hiring process.
- Remove all the warm body hires. Bob Green (Director of Scouting) and Dustin Schwartz (goalie coach) were Oil Kings promotions. Amateur scouting and goaltending are big weaknesses and these people have been here a long time.

- Finally and most importantly, actually having a process to hire smart and innovative people. This involves hiring out of your comfort zone. No more ex-Oilers, no more family, no more Oil Kings promotions or warm bodies. Treat every position with seriousness, find the best talent you can.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825195 is a reply to message #825194 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Agree with your list.

The point I'd add is allow a free and independent media. The fanboy approach the team demands and controls through access is stale. Who can we really trust that follows this team? Frustrating as an overseas fan and a real small town look for the city.

It also allows the situation we're in to form again as there are no sense checks for the decision making on players or management.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825196 is a reply to message #825195 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

And firewall the current media tools.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825197 is a reply to message #825195 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 08 August 2023 13:31

Agree with your list.

The point I'd add is allow a free and independent media. The fanboy approach the team demands and controls through access is stale. Who can we really trust that follows this team? Frustrating as an overseas fan and a real small town look for the city.

It also allows the situation we're in to form again as there are no sense checks for the decision making on players or management.

May as well give up on that hope.

We're not going to get a lot of new writers on the Oilers beat any time soon. That industry has hit very lean times, so they're just not bringing new blood in. Daniel Nugent-Bowman is the exception, and he works for the Athletic which has axed a ton of people.

Terry Jones got canned with no replacement. Matheson won't be too far behind, but people don't buy the Edmonton Journal or Sun for the sports section any more, so they can't afford to spend good money on bringing in and grooming new talent. Maybe we'll get a new version of TSN 1260 up, but they're not going to be able to pay a lot of people.

As for the current slate of personalities, in a shrinking industry, they're desperate to stay alive, so they'll not bite the hand that feeds them in the Oilers. The devil's pact there is that management has given them the green light to go after players (especially either departed players or ones on the way out) so long as they leave management alone. Meanwhile management will selectively leak some things to them and continue to give them unfettered access even if they ask stupid questions and piss off star players - as both Matheson and Spector have done in the last year.

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825199 is a reply to message #825197 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I hear you, and mostly agree. You've gotta hope the team's fanbase isn't so far gone that a decent podcast could pop up that included criticism of the team (e.g.: nepotism hires, a poor arena deal, a creep of an owner that's using taxpayer funds to build a development empire in the city, the Evander Kane signing ignorant of off ice issues, Bob Nicholson being involved with the team after long term issues at HC were uncovered, the numerous ex-players that got bad medical advice, the fact CM97 didn't want to use our doctors, how our poor management has nearly wasted the prime of two talents the equal of Malkin / Crosby, the coaching carousel, the lack of defensive players, LTIR / Retirement dealings to circumvent the cap, the rift in the team between Connor and his crew and everyone else etc, etc). A career could be made doing a long form expose on this team. Add in the complete control and capture of the media, and you've got a block buster in the making. The factory of sadness North is must watch / listen.

Anyway the last time I lost hope on this team 5-14-6-1 popped up on the lottery and we were saved. This year we've got a great chance at winning it all too...something to put in my koolaid for another season. :)

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825201 is a reply to message #825199 ]
Tue, 08 August 2023 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 08 August 2023 17:15

I hear you, and mostly agree. You've gotta hope the team's fanbase isn't so far gone that a decent podcast could pop up that included criticism of the team (e.g.: nepotism hires, a poor arena deal, a creep of an owner that's using taxpayer funds to build a development empire in the city, the Evander Kane signing ignorant of off ice issues, Bob Nicholson being involved with the team after long term issues at HC were uncovered, the numerous ex-players that got bad medical advice, the fact CM97 didn't want to use our doctors, how our poor management has nearly wasted the prime of two talents the equal of Malkin / Crosby, the coaching carousel, the lack of defensive players, LTIR / Retirement dealings to circumvent the cap, the rift in the team between Connor and his crew and everyone else etc, etc). A career could be made doing a long form expose on this team. Add in the complete control and capture of the media, and you've got a block buster in the making. The factory of sadness North is must watch / listen.

Anyway the last time I lost hope on this team 5-14-6-1 popped up on the lottery and we were saved. This year we've got a great chance at winning it all too...something to put in my koolaid for another season. :)

I think there's no shortage of good bloggers who grew up Oilers fans, and some of them starting a podcast? Sure - that could definitely happen. The chances of them getting a lot of access to the team though is almost nil. The Oilers aren't interested in allowing themselves (read management and ownership) to be criticized.

FWIW, my expose wishlist is significantly different than yours!

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825202 is a reply to message #825201 ]
Wed, 09 August 2023 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 August 2023 23:53

Rutuu wrote on Tue, 08 August 2023 17:15

I think there's no shortage of good bloggers who grew up Oilers fans, and some of them starting a podcast? Sure - that could definitely happen. The chances of them getting a lot of access to the team though is almost nil. The Oilers aren't interested in allowing themselves (read management and ownership) to be criticized.

FWIW, my expose wishlist is significantly different than yours!

Wen #FireCoffey in the signature? :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Name Jeff Jackson CEO of Hockey Operations [message #825212 is a reply to message #825201 ]
Wed, 09 August 2023 14:20 Go to previous message

No Cups

Ha. It's weeks before training camp opens. Let's hear your expose hit list.

Previous Topic:2023 Oilers Camp
Next Topic:McLeod files for arbitration
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca