This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2023 Signings and Trades...Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824938 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Wed, 05 July 2023 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hall being dumped 2 times to make room for Looch is remarkable.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824941 is a reply to message #824938 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 July 2023 22:00

After the Bruins lost out on Bertuzzi I am not sure why they gave Hall away. I don't think adding Lucic and van Riemsdyk makes up for losing one of either Bertuzzi or Hall, not to mention the likely losses of Bergeron and/or Krejci.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824943 is a reply to message #824941 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 09:46

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 July 2023 22:00

After the Bruins lost out on Bertuzzi I am not sure why they gave Hall away. I don't think adding Lucic and van Riemsdyk makes up for losing one of either Bertuzzi or Hall, not to mention the likely losses of Bergeron and/or Krejci.

addition by subtraction

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824949 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'm kind of excited to see the meltdown of the Toronto Maple Leafs given the way their summer has progressed. When July 1 hit, Auston Matthews' no-move clause kicked in, meaning that they can't shuttle him away now for a massive haul unless he greenlights the deal. That maybe is fine, since a buyer probably would want to ensure that he's willing to sign with them before they make a deal anyhow, but it definitely limits their options.

Despite the fact that their biggest weaknesses are in goal and on defence, Treliving has spent his money on deepening the forward ranks, adding Bertuzzi, Domi and, most questionably, Ryan Reaves. The one defenceman UFA they added was John Klingberg - not a guy known for bringing a top-notch defensive game to the mix, and one would wonder how he fits in to the puzzle since the Leafs already have a PP quarterback in Morgan Rielly.

The team is way over the cap at the moment, and that's before the outcome of Ilya Samsonov's arbitration hearing. You have to think they must be looking for a new home for Matt Murray, given that he played not one minute of playoff time, and then they'll still need to have at least one other big contract leave without any immediate return (Nylander?)

But at least they added some..."snot"?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824952 is a reply to message #824949 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 12:36

...But at least they added some..."snot"?

... they'll be needing some Kleenex.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824956 is a reply to message #824952 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kopitar signed a 2 yr extension for 7 mill per year that will cover his 37 and 38 yr old season. You'd think a guy who's made over 120 mill already, over 130 when this deal ends would be OK to take a little less to free up a little money for your team when you are 37 but I guess not. He was fairly productive this year, maybe he can be this coming season but seems like a lot for a guy that age.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824959 is a reply to message #824949 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 16:36

I'm kind of excited to see the meltdown of the Toronto Maple Leafs given the way their summer has progressed. When July 1 hit, Auston Matthews' no-move clause kicked in, meaning that they can't shuttle him away now for a massive haul unless he greenlights the deal. That maybe is fine, since a buyer probably would want to ensure that he's willing to sign with them before they make a deal anyhow, but it definitely limits their options.

Despite the fact that their biggest weaknesses are in goal and on defence, Treliving has spent his money on deepening the forward ranks, adding Bertuzzi, Domi and, most questionably, Ryan Reaves. The one defenceman UFA they added was John Klingberg - not a guy known for bringing a top-notch defensive game to the mix, and one would wonder how he fits in to the puzzle since the Leafs already have a PP quarterback in Morgan Rielly.

The team is way over the cap at the moment, and that's before the outcome of Ilya Samsonov's arbitration hearing. You have to think they must be looking for a new home for Matt Murray, given that he played not one minute of playoff time, and then they'll still need to have at least one other big contract leave without any immediate return (Nylander?)

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them Tampa Bay / Vegasing Jake Muzzin & putting him on LTIR all year, returning for the playoffs. Between that and dumping Murray I believe that clears up most of their overage.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824960 is a reply to message #824959 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 16:30

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 16:36

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them Tampa Bay / Vegasing Jake Muzzin & putting him on LTIR all year, returning for the playoffs. Between that and dumping Murray I believe that clears up most of their overage.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Capfriendly is already counting out Muzzin entirely and they're still going to be over. Without him they have $58.5MM on forwards, 22.0MM on defence, and 5.5MM on goalies. That's $86MM there before Samsonov's deal. They're going to need someone else on LTIR or to make a move.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824962 is a reply to message #824960 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Yeah - I'm not sure what cap gymnastics they'll do to start the season ... Samsonov's deal, even if they LTIR Murray, will have them well over the cap. Something has to give.

That said, Adam, I disagree with your overall assessment. I think that their primary competitors in the Eastern Conference have taken a step backward. I'd comfortably call the Leafs the class of their division, and possibly the entire Eastern Conference, for the regular season. Naturally I hope and expect that they will utterly implode in the playoffs ... but I like the general makeup of their team.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824963 is a reply to message #824962 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 17:17

Yeah - I'm not sure what cap gymnastics they'll do to start the season ... Samsonov's deal, even if they LTIR Murray, will have them well over the cap. Something has to give.

That said, Adam, I disagree with your overall assessment. I think that their primary competitors in the Eastern Conference have taken a step backward. I'd comfortably call the Leafs the class of their division, and possibly the entire Eastern Conference, for the regular season. Naturally I hope and expect that they will utterly implode in the playoffs ... but I like the general makeup of their team.

To be clear, I'm expecting that this is the end of the road for Matthews there and that the whole implosion is set around that.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824966 is a reply to message #824963 ]
Thu, 06 July 2023 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Fair enough. I perceive Toronto this year being in roughly the same boat as Boston last year: it's Cup or bust. About half their team is UFA after this season (Brodie, Matthews, Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, etc.) - if they crash and burn, they'll have nothing to show for it. But, perish the thought, it is possible that they win it all and their UFAs all return for another go. I shudder to imagine the fractures in the space-time continuum ...

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824968 is a reply to message #824962 ]
Fri, 07 July 2023 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Thu, 06 July 2023 19:17

This explains the Reaves signing now. They have to get creative to get the team under the cap.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824973 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Sun, 09 July 2023 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Tyson Barrie gets married in Victoria.. Happy for him 👍🙂
McD, Nurse, Crosby, Mckinnon, Mike Smith, Turris, Myers, L. Schenn, and more all there.. players make a lot of friends during their NHL stays.. Bieber, R. Reynolds also rumoured to be there..

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tyson-barrie-wedding-nhl-sta rs
Mike Smith takes a group selfie..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0eCFwOWcAA6jF6?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0hG-WkaMAE2JDE?format=jpg&name=small
Smith.. still in shape!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0hG-WiaUAA6u1v?format=jpg&name=360x360
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0hG-WkaIAEfBtF?format=jpg&name=360x360

[Updated on: Sun, 09 July 2023 15:02]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824976 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Sun, 09 July 2023 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Red Wings land DeBrincat

DeBrincat extended 4 x $7,875,000

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Full trade:

To #LGRW:
Alex DeBrincat

To #GoSensGo:
2024 Conditional 1st (DET or BOS)
2024 4th Rd Pick
Dominik Kubalik
Donovan Sebrango

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0olV4VX0AECx1a?format=jpg&name=small

Seems the Red Wings need to had a playoff team ASAP. Maybe will get it now. Embarrassing run so far in their new arena.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824977 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Mon, 10 July 2023 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Zadina signs with San Josie $1.1M x 1

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825001 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Fri, 14 July 2023 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Galchenyuk waived for purpose of termination.. he clears.. and is now terminated..
Sounds like an intoxicated driving accident, c/w an altercation with police.

Also DeAngelo is on waivers for purpose of termination by Phili..

Sounded like Carolina wanted him back.. has 2 years left at 1.67M

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825014 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Fri, 21 July 2023 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Vince Dunn signs for four years at $7.35MM per season. That’s not great news for those who thought Bouchard might come a lot cheaper.

If the Oilers were to be hoping for a bridge, it might still be an expensive one.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825016 is a reply to message #825014 ]
Sat, 22 July 2023 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I don’t think they are all that comparable.

This buys 3 UFA years of Dunn where our bridge will buy none. Outscored Bouchard by a 24 points in the regular season and is Seattle’s number one defenseman.

If Ken Holland is paying attention, K’Andre Miller and Bowen Byram deals are probably the best bridge comparables. Miller got a 3.87M AAV and Byram 3.85M AAV.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 July 2023 11:09]

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825018 is a reply to message #825016 ]
Sun, 23 July 2023 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 22 July 2023 10:05

This buys 3 UFA years of Dunn where our bridge will buy none
. Outscored Bouchard by a 24 points in the regular season and is Seattle’s number one defenseman.

If Ken Holland is paying attention, K’Andre Miller and Bowen Byram deals are probably the best bridge comparables. Miller got a 3.87M AAV and Byram 3.85M AAV.

Agree

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825020 is a reply to message #825016 ]
Sun, 23 July 2023 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 22 July 2023 11:05

This buys 3 UFA years of Dunn where our bridge will buy none. Outscored Bouchard by a 24 points in the regular season and is Seattle’s number one defenseman.

That seems extremely hopeful. Bowen Byram is constantly hurt, and he's never going to be the #1D in Colorado. Same for Miller in New York. And neither of them scored 17 points in 12 playoff games. In fact if you take their combined 54 playoff games, you get 20 points compared to Bouchard's 26 in 28 games.

With regards to regular season production, Bouchard's 40 points THIS year are just behind Byram's entire career number of 43 and Bouch's 89 career points put him 14 above Miller's career total in 30 less games played.

Also, assuming Bouchard's agent isn't terrible, he's going to point out that Bouchard had a higher PP points/minute than Barrie long before Barrie left, and that once he finally got his shot, the powerplay which was already ridiculous got an additional bump up. He's going to point out that Bouchard will be the team's #1 this year, unlike those other two, and that he should get paid as such.

Honestly, if we could find a way to give him a long-term deal at Dunn's money, it would be a good decision. As it is, I think we're going to see a short-term deal, likely starting with a 4 or a 5 that will haunt us when he's pushing up on eight figures in a couple years time.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825021 is a reply to message #825020 ]
Sun, 23 July 2023 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Numbers taken from J. Willis tweet. Regular season.

- Byram: 47-point pace, 21:53 TOI
- Miller: 45-point pace, 21:57 TOI (and he outscored Bouchard)
- Bouchard: 40 points in 82 games, 18:31 TOI

Bouchard definitely has he playoff edge. Bouchard is also 1.5 years older than Byram. There are arguments to be made and this is the ammo the Oilers have to get him under 4M on a bridge.

My point is moreso that Vince Dunn has very little to do with Bouchard. They are at different stages of their career, Vince Dunn clearly was more productive and his teams number 1 defenseman. Just not really comparable unless we start talking about getting UFA years from Bouchard.

But I am with you. I’d go long on Bouchard too.

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825023 is a reply to message #825021 ]
Mon, 24 July 2023 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 23 July 2023 22:43

Bouchard definitely has he playoff edge. Bouchard is also 1.5 years older than Byram. There are arguments to be made and this is the ammo the Oilers have to get him under 4M on a bridge.

My point is moreso that Vince Dunn has very little to do with Bouchard. They are at different stages of their career, Vince Dunn clearly was more productive and his teams number 1 defenseman. Just not really comparable unless we start talking about getting UFA years from Bouchard.

We really f-ed this up. Unless Bouch's agent was just totally stonewalling negotiations, we should have been going hard for a long term deal before Barrie was moved. I was kind of surprised how Woodcroft kept Bouch off the PP until he had no choice but to use him. If there was any hint we would be moving Barrie, we should have been giving Bouch more PP time long ago to be ready for the playoffs. Total fluke that it only took Bouch a week or 2 to look totally comfortable there. Maybe miscommunication/lack of communication between management and coaching, or maybe we were actually trying to supress Bouch's numbers to help negotiate, but the opportunity is completely out the window now. We missed it.

24/25 cap increase already given to Brown bonuses. Now the price of Bouch being locked up after we let him completely blow the doors off will hurt even more. I highly doubt he will slow down next year, if anyone is hoping for that. His offensive confidence just went through the roof once he got the PP time. Kid was looking like a savvy vet with the puck in all zones. Even one of our better D at defending zone entries. There will be defensive errors for fans to nitpick, but that will hardly matter at all, if at all, come negotiation time if he racks up a big 5v5+PP points season.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 July 2023 01:07]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825024 is a reply to message #825023 ]
Mon, 24 July 2023 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 July 2023 01:04

We really f-ed this up. Unless Bouch's agent was just totally stonewalling negotiations, we should have been going hard for a long term deal before Barrie was moved. I was kind of surprised how Woodcroft kept Bouch off the PP until he had no choice but to use him. If there was any hint we would be moving Barrie, we should have been giving Bouch more PP time long ago to be ready for the playoffs. Total fluke that it only took Bouch a week or 2 to look totally comfortable there. Maybe miscommunication/lack of communication between management and coaching, or maybe we were actually trying to supress Bouch's numbers to help negotiate, but the opportunity is completely out the window now. We missed it.

24/25 cap increase already given to Brown bonuses. Now the price of Bouch being locked up after we let him completely blow the doors off will hurt even more. I highly doubt he will slow down next year, if anyone is hoping for that. His offensive confidence just went through the roof once he got the PP time. Kid was looking like a savvy vet with the puck in all zones. Even one of our better D at defending zone entries. There will be defensive errors for fans to nitpick, but that will hardly matter at all, if at all, come negotiation time if he racks up a big 5v5+PP points season.

So when was the good time to sign Bouchard long term then, beginning of last season?

If you look at his season, in the first 58 games, he had 3 goals, 21 pts. The first 20 games, he has 0 goals, 6 assists. So for the Oilers that would have been a good time to low ball him but would Bouchard even want to sign a long term? I doubt it.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825025 is a reply to message #825024 ]
Mon, 24 July 2023 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 July 2023 11:16

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 July 2023 01:04

So when was the good time to sign Bouchard long term then, beginning of last season?

If you look at his season, in the first 58 games, he had 3 goals, 21 pts. The first 20 games, he has 0 goals, 6 assists. So for the Oilers that would have been a good time to low ball him but would Bouchard even want to sign a long term? I doubt it.

Like all Oilers screw ups, they did it too themselves far sooner and far more predictably than should be possible. They always seem to be hedging against themselves by undervaluing players they want to keep and overvaluing players they want to get rid of. With Bouchard, they brought him up for an after the junior season look in 2019. It was fun, he scored a goal, and was kind of underwhelming. The next season he went to junior and played well enough for an AHL rookie but didn't get the call before the pandemic hit. Then it all went predictably wrong. In the Canadian division bubble season Bouchard was a healthy scratch for ~75% of the games. So instead of being able to plan appropriately for Bouchard's future they had to hedge against him due to lack of game data. A smart team would have tried to figure out if Bouchard was going to be a real player so they could plan accordingly. The Oilers don't plan. The Oilers simply hoped the cap would go up despite all this happening after the pandemic started. Once we add in the long term mismanagement of the cap under our parade of disappointing GMs we find the Oilers once again backed into the cap corner with no way out.

We did talk about this in the bubble season. It's so frustrating to be able to see the future sometimes.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825053 is a reply to message #825025 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

And what I am sure is a shock to everyone, Matt Murray has been placed on LTIR for the entire 23-24 season July 26, 2023. icon_rolleyes
Gee, didn't see that one coming. The Leafs are way over the cap and needed someone to take the bullet. He was the obvious choice

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825055 is a reply to message #825053 ]
Wed, 26 July 2023 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 15:59

And what I am sure is a shock to everyone, Matt Murray has been placed on LTIR for the entire 23-24 season July 26, 2023. icon_rolleyes
Gee, didn't see that one coming. The Leafs are way over the cap and needed someone to take the bullet. He was the obvious choice

Considering the Oilers did this last year with Mike Smith, I don't think we can complain about the move.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825060 is a reply to message #825055 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 July 2023 16:13

Considering the Oilers did this last year with Mike Smith, I don't think we can complain about the move.

Leafs are a bit more notorious than we ever were. Mike Smith, the length of his career and his age make his story line a bit more believable. Leaf fans even mock Robidas Island. On a nice winter's day you can hear Joffrey Lupul ski edges cutting into the slopes. Matt Murray will love it there.

At the end of the day, more power to the team that can navigate contracts to create LTIR space. If the league allows it, then there is no foul.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825061 is a reply to message #825060 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 09:39

Leafs are a bit more notorious than we ever were. Mike Smith, the length of his career and his age make his story line a bit more believable. Leaf fans even mock Robidas Island. On a nice winter's day you can hear Joffrey Lupul ski edges cutting into the slopes. Matt Murray will love it there.

At the end of the day, more power to the team that can navigate contracts to create LTIR space. If the league allows it, then there is no foul.

Oilers had the Souray exile if we go far enough back. Souray got screwed, by the way.

It's kind of funny the Leafs dodged the long term Campbell contract only to take on the Murray albatross. Sad to see a franchise waste a year like that.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825063 is a reply to message #825061 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

And as much as we all hate that garbage, it the owners really had an issue with it, they'd stop it from happening. Look how quickly the rules changed for a cap recapture gain the Oilers were going to have.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825066 is a reply to message #825061 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 10:26

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 09:39

Oilers had the Souray exile if we go far enough back. Souray got screwed, by the way.

It's kind of funny the Leafs dodged the long term Campbell contract only to take on the Murray albatross. Sad to see a franchise waste a year like that.

If I remember correctly the Oilers did not 'fabricate' the Souray injury to get him off the books, but instead criticized the player and accused him of milking an injury that had serious symptoms (potential hand amputation/blood infection?).

Souray wanted to be an Oiler, but Tambo and Lowe were accusing the player of not wanting to play. The scenario I remember is a much different scenario than Smith, Murray, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong. I do not recall them ever burying his deal.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades [message #825067 is a reply to message #825066 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This is what I remember too, although he was buried the next season after requesting a trade.

https://oilersnation.com/news/sheldon-souray-opens-up-about- oilers-experience

Regretfully I was on team Oilers for that whole thing.

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825086 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Sens sign Tarasenko to a 1 year/$5M contract. 18 goals last year in 69 games, 34 goals the year before. Seems like a pretty good bet to me.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/veteran-scorer-vladimir -tarasenko-joining-senators-on-one-year-5m-deal/

[Updated on: Thu, 27 July 2023 23:09]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825088 is a reply to message #825086 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 22:06

Sens sign Tarasenko to a 1 year/$5M contract. 18 goals last year in 69 games, 34 goals the year before. Seems like a pretty good bet to me.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/veteran-scorer-vladimir -tarasenko-joining-senators-on-one-year-5m-deal/

He fired his agent mid-UFA season.. I think his ex-agent read the market wrong, bet way too high.. now he has to settle for 1 x $5M .. he was expecting more.. hence the 1 year.. agent probably held out for $8M or more .. music stopped .. and no cap left.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825092 is a reply to message #825086 ]
Fri, 28 July 2023 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27 is currently online kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 28 July 2023 00:06

If the Sens can't contend for the playoffs in what is a totally stacked division, Vlady can always be shipped off for other assets....(if he's having a good season)

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825087 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Hurricanes sign Aho to an 8-year/$78M deal. Deal starts in 24/25. 26 years old, probably one of the more underrated players in the league. Since he joined in the 16/17 season he's 10th in goals in the league.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sebastian-aho-signs-eight-year-cont ract-with-carolina-hurricanes/c-345441394

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825089 is a reply to message #825087 ]
Fri, 28 July 2023 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 23:16

Hurricanes sign Aho to an 8-year/$78M deal. Deal starts in 24/25. 26 years old, probably one of the more underrated players in the league. Since he joined in the 16/17 season he's 10th in goals in the league.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sebastian-aho-signs-eight-year-cont ract-with-carolina-hurricanes/c-345441394

Picked two slots after the second pick dealt for Griffin Reinhart. Imagine if the Oilers had just drafted Barzal and Aho instead...(or Chabot or Connor or...)

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825102 is a reply to message #825089 ]
Mon, 31 July 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 July 2023 01:03

Picked two slots after the second pick dealt for Griffin Reinhart. Imagine if the Oilers had just drafted Barzal and Aho instead...(or Chabot or Connor or...)

The list is long. Eriksson-Ek was rumoured to be picked. I would have taken him in a heartbeat too.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825108 is a reply to message #825102 ]
Tue, 01 August 2023 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 31 July 2023 11:29

The list is long. Eriksson-Ek was rumoured to be picked. I would have taken him in a heartbeat too.

We likely would have traded him for a pick long before he finally developed if it makes anyone feel better :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825117 is a reply to message #825108 ]
Tue, 01 August 2023 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 August 2023 08:33

We likely would have traded him for a pick long before he finally developed if it makes anyone feel better :)

He would never have developed in the Oilers system. They don't do forward development.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825119 is a reply to message #825117 ]
Tue, 01 August 2023 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 01 August 2023 12:43

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 August 2023 08:33

He would never have developed in the Oilers system. They don't do forward development.

Come on now. McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge. I could go on, but my fingers would get too tired

ok, have energy for couple more out of the dozens of recent examples. Hall, Eberle

[Updated on: Tue, 01 August 2023 13:54]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825112 is a reply to message #825102 ]
Tue, 01 August 2023 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think the Oilers chose to float the Eriksson-Ek rumour in order to try to quell the furor over what was so clearly a bad decision so soon after it was made. Still one of the dumbest Oilers leaks because A) Eriksson-Ek would still be a lot better than Reinhart, B) it just would mean that the Oilers were committed to making a mistake no matter what, since they'd have had to pass up all of Barzal, Connor and Chabot to pick him.

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Ottawa Senators drama - Dorion fired
Next Topic:Mike Babcock
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca