This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Yams & Klim to DetPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824791 is a reply to message #824787 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 12:19

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 11:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 10:29

I got to love it when I get into arguments about how the Oilers didn't get enough value for a player like Yamo, then the Wings take him all so they could get the rights to Kostin so they can overpay Kostin and buy him out. As much as I liked Kostin, he's a 4th liner right now. Maybe on the Wings he plays higher up but on the Oilers, he's in their bottom 6 and should be making maybe at most 1.25 mill.

Watch the Wings give him a 2 yr, 1.6 mill deal plus when you add on Yamo's buy out, he's not basically a 2 mill player.

Two things:

1) You're still missing the point. The point is, trade players before their value is nothing, and don't actively contribute to reducing their value to nothing, which is what you do if you announce to the world that you pretty much need to make a move with that specific player.

2) You're right about Yzerman here. He has to have a sense as to what Kostin will cost to keep in North America, and he's just added a million dollars to the cost of getting him with this buyout. It's a stunning mistake.

A real question regarding trading Yamamoto. When would have been the correct time to trade him when he still had value?

When he had value we needed him. It fell off a cliff. They could’ve traded him at his initial drop off point, but he is young and should have conceivably rebounded. I guess he could’ve been moved before he signed his two year deal, but Edmonton like everyone else still saw a player there.

Then the 22/23 starts and he gets hurt. It appears to be chronic. Now he’s dead weight and hopefully going to recover and restart his career.

I was thinking of asking the same question but I gave up because I don't understand the point apparently.

Yamo scored 20 goals. Arb gave him that deal. If you can get a guy to score 20 goals, 40 points and it costs you 3.1 mill. That's decent value. When you are trying for a cup, you need guys like that to outplay their contracts. He was also pretty well liked by the team including the big guys as well. I personally have had concerns about his size but at the time, I think it would be pretty hard to walk away from a 20 goal scorer when his value was at his peak and you could get something for him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824796 is a reply to message #824787 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I got to love it when I get into arguments about how the Oilers didn't get enough value for a player like Yamo, then the Wings take him all so they could get the rights to Kostin so they can overpay Kostin and buy him out. As much as I liked Kostin, he's a 4th liner right now. Maybe on the Wings he plays higher up but on the Oilers, he's in their bottom 6 and should be making maybe at most 1.25 mill.

Watch the Wings give him a 2 yr, 1.6 mill deal plus when you add on Yamo's buy out, he's not basically a 2 mill player.

Two things:

1) You're still missing the point. The point is, trade players before their value is nothing, and don't actively contribute to reducing their value to nothing, which is what you do if you announce to the world that you pretty much need to make a move with that specific player.

2) You're right about Yzerman here. He has to have a sense as to what Kostin will cost to keep in North America, and he's just added a million dollars to the cost of getting him with this buyout. It's a stunning mistake.

A real question regarding trading Yamamoto. When would have been the correct time to trade him when he still had value?

When he had value we needed him. It fell off a cliff. They could’ve traded him at his initial drop off point, but he is young and should have conceivably rebounded. I guess he could’ve been moved before he signed his two year deal, but Edmonton like everyone else still saw a player there.

Then the 22/23 starts and he gets hurt. It appears to be chronic. Now he’s dead weight and hopefully going to recover and restart his career.

The Oilers are the closest to the player and they should have the best insight in to what that player is and can be. They should be setting expectations and negotiating contracts based on that. Last summer, the team had two young right wings who have draft pedigree (which means nothing, but is overvalued by many fans and GMs). Both had had some ups and downs and they decided with both of them to give them relatively high contracts, including giving two years to Yamamoto. They both were simply given away within a year, which means the team screwed up last summer and should have been looking for a better way to spend that $6.2MM.

I mean, it's fine to say that they needed a good young right wing last year, but it's not like we're in a different situation now. We still need a good young right wing. And if we hadn't made it so blatantly clear that we wanted to trade this specific player - if the team would ever talk up its players instead of constantly wishing they were just a little better than they are or bigger than they are or grittier than they are in an attempt to pass blame from management to the players, then maybe someone else looks at him and thinks - there's a 20-goal scoring right wing who's still relatively young and can add something to my team and you get more than needing to throw in a player that another team wants in order to get rid of him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824798 is a reply to message #824796 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 13:10

Two things:

The Oilers are the closest to the player and they should have the best insight in to what that player is and can be. They should be setting expectations and negotiating contracts based on that. Last summer, the team had two young right wings who have draft pedigree (which means nothing, but is overvalued by many fans and GMs). Both had had some ups and downs and they decided with both of them to give them relatively high contracts, including giving two years to Yamamoto. They both were simply given away within a year, which means the team screwed up last summer and should have been looking for a better way to spend that $6.2MM.

I mean, it's fine to say that they needed a good young right wing last year, but it's not like we're in a different situation now. We still need a good young right wing. And if we hadn't made it so blatantly clear that we wanted to trade this specific player - if the team would ever talk up its players instead of constantly wishing they were just a little better than they are or bigger than they are or grittier than they are in an attempt to pass blame from management to the players, then maybe someone else looks at him and thinks - there's a 20-goal scoring right wing who's still relatively young and can add something to my team and you get more than needing to throw in a player that another team wants in order to get rid of him.

Hindsight is 20/20. It was the correct move last season and it didn’t turn out. Show me a GM who hasn’t had something go dreadfully wrong for him every season and I’ll show you a guy who is in Dynasty mode in EA Sports.

I think you’re blinded by your dislike of Oilers management on this one.

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824802 is a reply to message #824796 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 16:40

Two things:

The part I don't get about this post and many others you make, is I can only assume, you think other teams don't know how to evaluate players either. Even if we agree that Holland is useless, talks down about his players and lets the world know he doesn't want them, I still don't think that effects the value of the player that much (if he as any) and heres why. There are 31 other GM that have a staffs, all trying to make there teams better. So, even if Holland thinks a player as no value, if the player does, you only need two other teams to see it, in which cause, they well out bid each other and drive the price up. if they don't then guess what, that player doesn't have value, you might think he does, but the fact is he doesn't.

Let say Holland thinks player x is worth no more than 6th, he his on record saying hes to slow etc.. but two teams staff think Holland is out to lunch and this guy as loads of value, you don't think there going out bid each other and drive the price up past a 6th rounder?

I don't care if its hockey player, a car or a house, they are only worth what people are whiling to pay, regardless of what you think they should be worth, and the market not the seller determines that.

Now, if you don't like what the market offers you don't need to sell and but that is a different conversion, but this idea that Holland determines the value of the asset he has crazy, it totally dismiss the ability of the other 31 teams to evaluate talent.

houses sell above list price all the time, just because you don't understand the value of what you have, doesn't mean the market doesn't.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2023 14:28]

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824807 is a reply to message #824802 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Do you honestly feel that Holland's history of negotiation has resulted in even HALF of his deals being for market value? Look at his trade history, more often than not (by a wide margin) he over pays and under sells.

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824808 is a reply to message #824802 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 14:25

The part I don't get about this post and many others you make, is I can only assume, you think other teams don't know how to evaluate players either. Even if we agree that Holland is useless, talks down about his players and lets the world know he doesn't want them, I still don't think that effects the value of the player that much (if he as any) and heres why. There are 31 other GM that have a staffs, all trying to make there teams better. So, even if Holland thinks a player as no value, if the player does, you only need two other teams to see it, in which cause, they well out bid each other and drive the price up. if they don't then guess what, that player doesn't have value, you might think he does, but the fact is he doesn't.

Let say Holland thinks player x is worth no more than 6th, he his on record saying hes to slow etc.. but two teams staff think Holland is out to lunch and this guy as loads of value, you don't think there going out bid each other and drive the price up past a 6th rounder?

I don't care if its hockey player, a car or a house, they are only worth what people are whiling to pay, regardless of what you think they should be worth, and the market not the seller determines that.

Now, if you don't like what the market offers you don't need to sell and but that is a different conversion, but this idea that Holland determines the value of the asset he has crazy, it totally dismiss the ability of the other 31 teams to evaluate talent.

houses sell above list price all the time, just because you don't understand the value of what you have, doesn't mean the market doesn't.

I agree with your opening premise. Lots of GMs aren't good at player evaluation. Lots over-value things like draft pedigree, or size, or toughness, or fighting majors. We saw that this week with Steve Yzerman agreeing to spend a million dollars of his cap on the opportunity to maybe sign Klim Kostin, who was the worst Oilers forward by possession metrics by a country mile in the playoffs last year, and who rode a very high shooting percentage to a decent season.

Chicago just paid an asset to get an early crack at signing 38 year old Corey Perry who's a shell of his old self.

Rob Blake traded a boatload of assets so that he could open the bank vault for Pierre-Luc Dubois, who I like as a player, but who's never had 65 points in a season yet.

There's a lot of teams that don't do great at player evaluation. Even if their evaluation is the same, what is the advantage of confirming what they think? They're going to know you're the closest to the player and have had the most looks, so if you in an interview talk about your challenges around that player, or your intentions for that player, well, it's really good info to know.

Many of these guys may have analytics groups, but like the Oilers are skeptical of them. It's some computer nerd with a spreadsheet, telling them, who used to be in the NHL, what it takes to play in the NHL. So a Bill Guerin, or Rob Blake or Mike Grier might very well be looking to find contrary information on a player.

Will you be able to snooker people? Not always. But blabbing about your own assessments reduces your chances to zero and may actually take them from being willing to offer a 5th rounder down to offering a 7th, or deciding they don't want to offer anything.

As I've said a million times, if I'm running a professional sports team, I'm not saying anything to the media without thinking about whether it is advantageous to me to say it or not. Everything should be done with strategic purpose in mind. If there's no strategic rationale to say something, then I'm making a boring bland answer that doesn't say anything. Holland manages to get part of that - he's boring and bland - but he constantly lays his cards on the table, and it's one reason why he loses so many deals.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Yams to be bought out by Detroit [message #824814 is a reply to message #824808 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 18:45

Burgeoboy wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 14:25

I agree with your opening premise. Lots of GMs aren't good at player evaluation. Lots over-value things like draft pedigree, or size, or toughness, or fighting majors. We saw that this week with Steve Yzerman agreeing to spend a million dollars of his cap on the opportunity to maybe sign Klim Kostin, who was the worst Oilers forward by possession metrics by a country mile in the playoffs last year, and who rode a very high shooting percentage to a decent season.

Chicago just paid an asset to get an early crack at signing 38 year old Corey Perry who's a shell of his old self.

Rob Blake traded a boatload of assets so that he could open the bank vault for Pierre-Luc Dubois, who I like as a player, but who's never had 65 points in a season yet.

There's a lot of teams that don't do great at player evaluation. Even if their evaluation is the same, what is the advantage of confirming what they think? They're going to know you're the closest to the player and have had the most looks, so if you in an interview talk about your challenges around that player, or your intentions for that player, well, it's really good info to know.

Many of these guys may have analytics groups, but like the Oilers are skeptical of them. It's some computer nerd with a spreadsheet, telling them, who used to be in the NHL, what it takes to play in the NHL. So a Bill Guerin, or Rob Blake or Mike Grier might very well be looking to find contrary information on a player.

Will you be able to snooker people? Not always. But blabbing about your own assessments reduces your chances to zero and may actually take them from being willing to offer a 5th rounder down to offering a 7th, or deciding they don't want to offer anything.

As I've said a million times, if I'm running a professional sports team, I'm not saying anything to the media without thinking about whether it is advantageous to me to say it or not. Everything should be done with strategic purpose in mind. If there's no strategic rationale to say something, then I'm making a boring bland answer that doesn't say anything. Holland manages to get part of that - he's boring and bland - but he constantly lays his cards on the table, and it's one reason why he loses so many deals.

I agree, teams make very bad decisions all the time, as does Holland. When your buying, you set the market, that was my whole point, buyers set the market not sellers, I am very concerned about Holland when I hear hes buying, like I am currently very worried about how much he going give Connor Brown , or which 4th line vet he overs pays.

But that's a very different conversion than how he values our players when selling them, in this case, not even the very bad GM where whiling to pay anything for Yamamoto. So how can you claim he had any?

you also can't have it both ways, you can't claim Holland doesn't know how to value our players and then say other team value is opinion on our player more than there own. Unless again you think the other 31 teams are useless as well. Trust me, if we can see it they can to.

Speaking of valuing players, you know who really bad at judging Oilers players value? Oiler fans (as we should be, it not just us its all fan bases, it could be that is why we are fans and not gms/scouts etc...)

Bear, J.P, Samorukov , Jones all did not get qualifying offers this year, all guys that we didn't get enough for when we traded them, or so I was told.

bottom line for me is, I don't think Holland is a great GM and I well be happy when hes done, but that doesn't mean I can't admit when he does make a good move, like this one.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2023 16:17]

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824778 is a reply to message #824665 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I feel for this guy!

https://twitter.com/AndersBSvensson/status/16745786022755205 13
Quote:

Anders@AndersBSvensson
I should really stop buying hockey jerseys.. 😂 Sad day today .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz1MXDEaAAIBf-P?format=jpg&name=small

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824803 is a reply to message #824778 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I hope he/she/they do not have a McDavid or Draisaitl jersey, and someone get this person a Campbell jersey.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824824 is a reply to message #824803 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 13:53

I hope he/she/they do not have a McDavid or Draisaitl jersey, and someone get this person a Campbell jersey.

icon_nod

or.. in John Wick fashion.. .. would someone PLEASE get this man a Campbell jersey

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824822 is a reply to message #824665 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

To make things even stranger, Detroit did not qualify Kostin….

Clean house or bust

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824823 is a reply to message #824822 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 17:40

None of this makes sense from Detroit’s side. Unless the QO was too high.

If the Oilers sign Yamamoto tomorrow, then it’ll be pretty amazing to see some great creativity out of our front office for once. I mean the player isn’t that great, but the E for effort.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824825 is a reply to message #824823 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Well that gamble did not payoff at all for the Wings. But a small cap win for us.

Wonder if we’ll return the favour somewhere down the road.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824826 is a reply to message #824822 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 16:40

Lets you know that Kostin's agent was asking for more than even Stevie (with $30M in cap space) would offer..

Makes me feel a little better .. a little tinkering on the Oilers cap wouldn't have got him back.. c'est la vie mon ami.. I'll still miss his presence..

but.. with so many new UFA's out there now.. shopper's market.. just need to convince someone to come to Edmonton for a league min. x 1 to pump up his value for next year..

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2023 18:01]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824830 is a reply to message #824665 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Seems pretty obvious to me that Yzerman was doing his buddy Holland a favour here. Nothing more. The future considerations basically means that Holland owes him one.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824831 is a reply to message #824830 ]
Fri, 30 June 2023 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 19:48

Seems pretty obvious to me that Yzerman was doing his buddy Holland a favour here. Nothing more. The future considerations basically means that Holland owes him one.

Rumour has it that Kostin is likely to sign a deal with the Red Wings tomorrow still - they just didn't bother with a QO for some reason. It's a bit odd - if talks broke down then they'd lose his rights and he's a UFA so he could go anywhere.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824832 is a reply to message #824665 ]
Sat, 01 July 2023 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

... TSN has Kostin signing in Detroit for 2 x $2M

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824833 is a reply to message #824832 ]
Sat, 01 July 2023 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 01 July 2023 08:44

Scares me a bit that a smart GM values Kostin so much, but that was clearly too rich for Holland. Hope he doesn't make the Oilers regret giving up on a one of their few good reclaimations.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824834 is a reply to message #824833 ]
Sat, 01 July 2023 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 01 July 2023 07:55

Scares me a bit that a smart GM values Kostin so much, but that was clearly too rich for Holland. Hope he doesn't make the Oilers regret giving up on a one of their few good reclaimations.

He fit the Oiler puzzle quite well.. and the Oilers will be looking to add someone like him for a while.
I think he has a good year.. he got minimum ice time in Edmonton and still put up decent points, he'll get more in Detroit.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824855 is a reply to message #824833 ]
Sat, 01 July 2023 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 01 July 2023 08:55

HA HA HA HA...Yzerman isn't a very good GM. He had a great supporting cast in Tampa who did all the hard work. Chafed under just being the figurehead so returned to Detroit, to manage a bad team that's run in place since he got there. They've shown little signs of improvement in that time.

Now, he just spent the equivalent of $2.5MM a year to add a 4th liner. He did much better adding Sprong, to be fair to him.

Good luck to Kostin, I wish him the best, but overpaying for guys at the bottom of the order just isn't a luxury we have any more.

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824864 is a reply to message #824832 ]
Sat, 01 July 2023 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Kostin's agent is a generational talent

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824876 is a reply to message #824665 ]
Sun, 02 July 2023 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yamo signs in Seattle for 1 x $1.5M

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Yams & Klim to Det [message #824899 is a reply to message #824876 ]
Tue, 04 July 2023 08:12 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 02 July 2023 14:45

Yamo signs in Seattle for 1 x $1.5M

Good for Yamo that he signed for that and is able to recover most of his salary and playing close to home I an sure will be a thrill. Way more than I would have wanted the Oilers to pay him.

I can see why Klim and the Oilers couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe if after this season and he posted similar numbers I could understand getting closer to 2 mill but that blows the amount I would be comfortable the Oilers paying him. Good for him but that's a crazy contract.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Everyone gets a qualifying offer!
Next Topic:Puljujarvi Traded to Carolina
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca