F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2023 Signings and Trades...Pages (7): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824112]
Mon, 05 June 2023 17:50 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Montreal decides to get a fast start just blowing the crap out of the RFA market.

Caufield with his 123 regular season + 20 playoff game NHL career gets 8 x 7.85M.

Career highs 26 goals and 43 points. Lots of agents for quality RFA's had a good day.

Is the PA scamming here? They all collude to get a ridiculous deal done first with whatever GM is desperate enough to do it to try to set everyone else up? Reminds me of the Seth Jones deal just screwing over every team that needed to sign a good D

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2023 17:55]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824114 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Mon, 05 June 2023 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I actually like that bet for Montreal. 53 goals in 123 games is a 35 goal pace in a full season, which is pretty good considering rookie and sophomore seasons. 40 goal seasons seem likely if he can stay stay healthy. That’s worth at least 8 plus million isn’t it?

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824135 is a reply to message #824114 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 05 June 2023 18:30

I actually like that bet for Montreal. 53 goals in 123 games is a 35 goal pace in a full season, which is pretty good considering rookie and sophomore seasons. 40 goal seasons seem likely if he can stay stay healthy. That’s worth at least 8 plus million isn’t it?

It's a big bet still IMO. He hasn't had much time to show consistency in his game, plus getting hurt at lot already.

Guess similar to the Suzuki deal which should turn out ok.

I suppose we have Bouch in a similar spot here. Ugh.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824142 is a reply to message #824114 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Ya I think that's a good bet for Montreal. There is some risk Caufield never lives up to that contract, but on the flipside the risk of bridging him and ending up paying even more long-term (Evan Bouchard says hi) or getting themselves into a Matthew Tkachuk situation are far greater.

I'll never understand why people are against these types of long term bets on young players. It's the only way teams are able to get their franchise pieces locked into team friendly contracts.

I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that the Oilers could extend their cup window past the current McDavid/Draisaitl contracts by taking this approach with some of the younger guys. If the Oilers could enter next offseason with Bouchard locked in long term at somewhere around $6-7, McLeod long term at $2-3, and even a guy like Holloway long term at $2-3, there could be enough excess value there that we could survive a potential Draisaitl trade/free agent exit and build a team with legitimate high-end and long term depth behind McDavid. There is some risk in this obviously. Holloway hasn't even established himself as a legitimate NHL player, it's an overpay on McLeod if he doesn't develop more offence to his game; but the trade off is having multiple players on value contracts. If the team has any interest in extending the current 2-3 year window into a 5-6 year window, this is how they'll have to do it.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824143 is a reply to message #824142 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

hitmen4 wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 16:16

Ya I think that's a good bet for Montreal. There is some risk Caufield never lives up to that contract, but on the flipside the risk of bridging him and ending up paying even more long-term (Evan Bouchard says hi) or getting themselves into a Matthew Tkachuk situation are far greater.

I'll never understand why people are against these types of long term bets on young players. It's the only way teams are able to get their franchise pieces locked into team friendly contracts.

I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that the Oilers could extend their cup window past the current McDavid/Draisaitl contracts by taking this approach with some of the younger guys. If the Oilers could enter next offseason with Bouchard locked in long term at somewhere around $6-7, McLeod long term at $2-3, and even a guy like Holloway long term at $2-3, there could be enough excess value there that we could survive a potential Draisaitl trade/free agent exit and build a team with legitimate high-end and long term depth behind McDavid. There is some risk in this obviously. Holloway hasn't even established himself as a legitimate NHL player, it's an overpay on McLeod if he doesn't develop more offence to his game; but the trade off is having multiple players on value contracts. If the team has any interest in extending the current 2-3 year window into a 5-6 year window, this is how they'll have to do it.

I think when it comes to McD and Drai, it'll be both or neither. They are too close for one to stay while the other goes. I'm actually very confident they will be leading this team for the next 10+ years.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824145 is a reply to message #824143 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 16:32

I think when it comes to McD and Drai, it'll be both or neither. They are too close for one to stay while the other goes. I'm actually very confident they will be leading this team for the next 10+ years.

If I had to bet, I would say that sometime during 24-25, Draisaitl will sign a one-year extension (probably in the 11.5 mil range) to have him expire at the same time as McDavid. Then during 25-26 they can work on extensions for both to keep them here long-term.

This is what my gut tells me will happen--we shall see.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824155 is a reply to message #824145 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Wow - the Kings had to pay a lot to get rid of Cal Petersen! Same $5M salary as Jack Campbell, but only 2 years left as opposed to 4. Petersen also almost 3 years younger.

Kings paid not only their 2023 2nd round pick, but they're also retaining $2M on Provorov for 2 years. Makes one wonder what it would cost to get rid of Campbell.

Flyers make out pretty good here - they get a big young 21 year old right shot dman (Helge Grans - former 2nd round pick, 35 overall), Sean Walker (28 year old right shot Dman), Petersen who at 28 years old could very well bounce back and turn into at least a serviceable backup, a 1st round pick this year, a 2nd next year, and another 2nd either in 24 or 25.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824177 is a reply to message #824155 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 07 June 2023 06:40

Wow - the Kings had to pay a lot to get rid of Cal Petersen! Same $5M salary as Jack Campbell, but only 2 years left as opposed to 4. Petersen also almost 3 years younger.

Kings paid not only their 2023 2nd round pick, but they're also retaining $2M on Provorov for 2 years. Makes one wonder what it would cost to get rid of Campbell.

Flyers make out pretty good here - they get a big young 21 year old right shot dman (Helge Grans - former 2nd round pick, 35 overall), Sean Walker (28 year old right shot Dman), Petersen who at 28 years old could very well bounce back and turn into at least a serviceable backup, a 1st round pick this year, a 2nd next year, and another 2nd either in 24 or 25.

This is why guys like Blake & Robitaille are bad options for running your franchise. Some GM really saw them coming and got them to surrender $15MM for Cal Petersen at 27 years old and with just 54 NHL games under his belt. That's UGLY.

I will say, the price they paid, while steep, is waaaay less than we paid to flush Kassian last year at a lower dollar value and for only one year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824176 is a reply to message #824145 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 17:14

If I had to bet, I would say that sometime during 24-25, Draisaitl will sign a one-year extension (probably in the 11.5 mil range) to have him expire at the same time as McDavid. Then during 25-26 they can work on extensions for both to keep them here long-term.

I love the optimism, boys. I wish I shared it. I think we need to be at least in the Cup Finals next year to get an extension from Draisaitl.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824200 is a reply to message #824145 ]
Thu, 08 June 2023 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76 is currently online inverno76

2 Cups

That would be so nerve wracking. I would refer another 8 year deal, with Connor to follow.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825075 is a reply to message #824145 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

For what it's worth, Oiler mouthpiece Bob Stauffer saying that there's a better than 50% chance that both McDavid and Draisaitl will sign here beyond their current deals:

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825077 is a reply to message #825075 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 15:11

For what it's worth, Oiler mouthpiece Bob Stauffer saying that there's a better than 50% chance that both McDavid and Draisaitl will sign here beyond their current deals:

https://oilersnation.com/news/bob-stauffer-its-better-than-5 0-50-that-both-leon-draisaitl-and-connor-mcdavid-sign-long-t erm-here

Compared to what other players in the major sports leagues make, NHL salaries are not that high. The big money for these guys is endorsements. McD and Leon playing together make each other better. They help each other score more. They help each other win awards. They have a better chance of winning cups if they are together. Playing together for their whole careers will benefit each other both now and after their careers are done financially.

If those guys want to max out on their contracts, they will have to split up and probably one of them will end up on a crap team because they are the ones that would have the cap space to sign them to max deals. But if they want to stay together and continue to advance their legacy and what they will make outside of hockey, they would be smart to sign for a little less and stay together. Hopefully they will sign the same deals just like Kane and Toews did.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825078 is a reply to message #825077 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 14:23

The big money for these guys is endorsements.

Are you saying that the big money for NHL players is endorsements? I don't think that's the case at all.

How many national ad campaigns is Draisaitl doing? None? Did you even know that Draisaitl is endorsed by Puma? I didn't. I just found out today when I googled, "Draisaitl endorsements". I couldn't find any details about the value of his contract with them, but I can't imagine it's anywhere close to $8.5M/year.

McDavid has a few, but I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of his income still is in his NHL salary.

The reality is that these guys just aren't remotely well known enough outside of hockey fans to command big advertising dollars. The US is obviously the biggest market and what do you think the percentage of Americans who know who Leon Draisaitl is? 5%? I don't think there's any way it's 10%.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825079 is a reply to message #825078 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 15:48

Did you even know that Draisaitl is endorsed by Puma?.

Yes I did. I've known he's been a puma guy for a several years.

I assume you don't live in Europe nor do you have accurate knowledge of all the business deals these guys make. So I bet we have no clue how many companies sponsor him.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825081 is a reply to message #825079 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 14:53

I assume you don't live in Europe nor do you have accurate knowledge of all the business deals these guys make. So I bet we have no clue how many companies sponsor him.

I'm sorry, there's just no way that Draisaitl get paid remotely close to $8.5M by Puma. Or by any combination of companies that endorse him.

The reason that NHL salaries are lower compared to other major sports leagues is because the NHL's revenues are way lower than those leagues because way less people watch them.

The way you get paid big money in endorsements is if you're part of national/international ad campaigns. Being in a Don Wheaton Chevy commercial probably gets you a free lease on your truck.

And sure, I don't know all of what Draisaitl is doing in Europe, but I can't imagine there are massive ad campaigns featuring him over there. Patrick Kane and Auston Mathews are by far the most well known American hockey players and their visibility outside of hockey is basically nothing.

I can't speak to how accurate this is, but Forbes pegs McDavids earnings outside of his salary at $4M.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2021/10/27/highest- paid-nhl-players-2021-22-connor-mcdavid-leads-a-top-ten-stil l-being-stung-by-the-pandemic/?sh=77ae7a4c3bd9

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825082 is a reply to message #825081 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 16:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 14:53

I'm sorry, there's just no way that Draisaitl get paid remotely close to $8.5M by Puma. Or by any combination of companies that endorse him.

The reason that NHL salaries are lower compared to other major sports leagues is because the NHL's revenues are way lower than those leagues because way less people watch them.

The way you get paid big money in endorsements is if you're part of national/international ad campaigns. Being in a Don Wheaton Chevy commercial probably gets you a free lease on your truck.

And sure, I don't know all of what Draisaitl is doing in Europe, but I can't imagine there are massive ad campaigns featuring him over there. Patrick Kane and Auston Mathews are by far the most well known American hockey players and their visibility outside of hockey is basically nothing.

I can't speak to how accurate this is, but Forbes pegs McDavids earnings outside of his salary at $4M.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2021/10/27/highest- paid-nhl-players-2021-22-connor-mcdavid-leads-a-top-ten-stil l-being-stung-by-the-pandemic/?sh=77ae7a4c3bd9

Notable in that article is that several guys in the top ten are making ~$200K in endorsements. It's pocket money for them. I'm sure it's nice to have, and they can probably get paid that through a corporation, which might work well as a tax deferral mechanism for them, but it's not a really substantial amount.

Not to mention, there's a reason you see a lot less of this than you once did. Companies have realized that while Michael Jordan is great for selling shoes - which makes some sense since he's competing in them all the time - he's not going to make a huge dent in the sales of batteries, because no one cares which battery company paid him a bunch of money.

For that reason, you have hockey players selling sticks and skates and other gear and getting a little money that way, but you're not going to see them often as the spokespeople for insurance or even, sadly, breakfast cereal (RIP Pro Stars). Canadiana makes for a couple that get Tim Horton's sponsorships and sports gambling is probably the biggest one now, but other than that, what is a hockey player going to endorse that will move the needle for you on your buying decisions?

To address the thought further up the thread on Bob Stauffer's comment - I appreciate his optimism, but it's all pretty meaningless at this stage of the game. We'll see what happens next summer with Draisaitl. If we don't have a great result next year, I certainly won't be placing any large bets on him re-upping quickly.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825084 is a reply to message #825079 ]
Thu, 27 July 2023 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 15:53

One further thought on this - even if players DID make a killing in endorsements and it WAS a massive part of their annual earnings, it likely wouldn't make a lick of difference in what they demanded for salary.

Draisaitl isn't looking at the other 100+ point players and comparing salaries and thinking, you know what, Puma gave me a little extra this year, so I really don't need anything close to Matthews' money!

Even if they did - and honestly, there's no way for them to, since they don't have great insight in to what each other makes away from the ice - the NHLPA would still pressure players to continue to get the most they can because it sets the precedents for all the other contract negotiations. They really don't like players just taking big discounts for the hell of it.

I think there's some reasonable allowance for teams taking a discount for the purpose of keeping their teams competitive. Stamkos and Hedman jump to mind in Tampa - and it probably was a big factor in the extra jewelry they've acquired since. But that said, the PA isn't going to be thrilled if in a couple years McDavid just said "now that I'm getting Crosby's Tim Horton's money, I may as well just shave a few mill off my next deal!"

Honestly, this is all a big red herring topic anyhow. Bob Stauffer will never say it, but money won't be the reason the Oilers lose these guys. They'll get paid a lot whether they stay or go. The only reason they leave is because they don't believe this is where they're going to win Stanley Cups. And if we haven't got one in the next two years, then it'll be really hard to blame them (although the Oilers and their team-friendly media will sure give it a try).

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #825093 is a reply to message #825079 ]
Fri, 28 July 2023 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 27 July 2023 15:53

You have been spouting this endorsement nonsense for years. Every time someone proves you wrong. For a number of years I replied with proof that you were wrong yet you seem to beat that dead donkey.
The endorsement money for NHL players is not that big regardless of whether they win, play in TO, create a social media brand etc.
Like most of your drivel it is time to find some new material as this trope is tired and blatantly made up.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824180 is a reply to message #824142 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Caufield provides another little lesson in asset management for the Oilers.

Do you think we could get any of, Zegras, Boldy or Caufield straight up for Broberg?

Or the reverse, do you think if we took any of Zegras, Boldy or Caufield and they just got to rack up points playing in our top 6 that we could trade them today for a better D than Broberg, if we didn't want to give another forward a pricey extension?

Doh. One of those forwards would be a very nice trading chip to have right now, or at the last deadline. Broberg maybe worth a 2nd or 3rd right now?

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2023 14:17]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824184 is a reply to message #824180 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 June 2023 14:15

Caufield provides another little lesson in asset management for the Oilers.

Do you think we could get any of, Zegras, Boldy or Caufield straight up for Broberg?

Or the reverse, do you think if we took any of Zegras, Boldy or Caufield and they just got to rack up points playing in our top 6 that we could trade them today for a better D than Broberg, if we didn't want to give another forward a pricey extension?

Doh. One of those forwards would be a very nice trading chip to have right now, or at the last deadline. Broberg maybe worth a 2nd or 3rd right now?

But are any of those guys a Swedish defenceman? You may not have heard, but once upon a time Ken Holland inherited a team with a good blueliner from Sweden and they won some Cups!

Here's the thread from that draft: http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=739192& ;rid=1325&SQ=5612bcdb52e131b259c075fc8e0b56e3#msg_739192

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824185 is a reply to message #824184 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 19:04

If he [Broberg] doesn't end up better than that off the board Detroit pick [Moritz Seider], I'm gonna be pissed!

Well, damn.

Also:

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 19:26

I wonder if Jones isn't in play as a trading chip? There's too many LD in the system now and he could have a little value.

Might have been nice to sell high then on Jones...

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2023 15:10]

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824187 is a reply to message #824185 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 June 2023 15:08

If he [Broberg] doesn't end up better than that off the board Detroit pick [Moritz Seider], I'm gonna be pissed!

Well, damn.

Also:

I wonder if Jones isn't in play as a trading chip? There's too many LD in the system now and he could have a little value.

Aw man. My first quote in the broberg draft thread

"My first "you better be right!" for Holland. Chia got his first with the Reinhart trade"

God damn it. Holland on the job basically the same amount of time as Chia before his first asset toilet flush with a hope play for a young franchise D. Barzal was an obvious pick based on all scouting for Chia that we could have turned into lots of things even if we didn't want to keep him. Holland has a good list of obvious forwards to pick from too for an easy asset boost for the org to have options. Meh.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2023 15:21]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824189 is a reply to message #824187 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 07 June 2023 15:17

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 June 2023 15:08

Well, damn.

Also:

Aw man. My first quote in the broberg draft thread

"My first "you better be right!" for Holland. Chia got his first with the Reinhart trade"

God damn it. Holland on the job basically the same amount of time as Chia before his first asset toilet flush with a hope play for a young franchise D. Barzal was an obvious pick based on all scouting for Chia that we could have turned into lots of things even if we didn't want to keep him. Holland has a good list of obvious forwards to pick from too for an easy asset boost for the org to have options. Meh.

Remember though, Keith Gretzky in Boston had no belief in Barzal too!

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824140 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kings establish the price for dumping a $5 million useless goalie. Ended up being effectively 2 2nd round picks and a mediocre d-man. Also stunned that Provorov and his issues still got the Flyers a 1st rounder.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824141 is a reply to message #824140 ]
Tue, 06 June 2023 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 17:04

Kings establish the price for dumping a $5 million useless goalie. Ended up being effectively 2 2nd round picks and a mediocre d-man. Also stunned that Provorov and his issues still got the Flyers a 1st rounder.

Plus 30% salary retention for the next 2 season on Provorov (~$2M).

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824168 is a reply to message #824141 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 15:52

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 06 June 2023 17:04

Plus 30% salary retention for the next 2 season on Provorov (~$2M).

I am surprised the Kings had to pay all of that plus retain 30%. That's a lot.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824188 is a reply to message #824168 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will be interested to see how Caufield does injury wise. 5'7 175. Yamo has said due to his size, he takes shots to the head every game. Though not head related, Caufield has already missed big time this last season with a major shoulder injury and he's only 22. The advantage he has over Yamo is he shoots way better so maybe that will help keep him out of traffic more.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824196 is a reply to message #824188 ]
Wed, 07 June 2023 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Big contract for Anthanasiou 4.25 mill per for a 40 pt player. Yikes.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824343 is a reply to message #824112 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OEL being bought out. Ouch

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-l arsson

Cap hits in coming years:
23/24: $146,667
24/25: $2,346,667
25/26: $4,766,667
26/27: $4,766,667
27/28: $2,126,667
28/29: $2,126,667
29/30: $2,126,667
30/31: $2,126,667

https://bphsl.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/32451343_web1_20230417170428-643dba5908cdaa5307ecd3fejpeg-640x433.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824345 is a reply to message #824343 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I do not understand how a player with an 8Mil annual hit is reduced to only $146,000 this year...

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824347 is a reply to message #824345 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:01

I do not understand how a player with an 8Mil annual hit is reduced to only $146,000 this year...

Me either. Then it jumps to 2.3 the next season, 4.7 for 2 more, then down to 2.1 for 2 years after that.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824348 is a reply to message #824345 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Trying to figure this out too.

So, the calcuation is:

1) Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost

So his salary remaining is: 29M * 2/3 (26+ player) = 19.33M

2) Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years

8 years left so this is 19.33M/8 = 2.4167M

3) Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)

For the first year: 10.5M - 2.417M = 8.083M.

4) Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)

His original cap his is 8.25M so this means the cap hit is 8.25M - 8.083M = 167k (arizona pays 12%).

So, because the contract is front loaded, they do get saved a bit up front, but they pay for that in years 3 and 4 where the cap hit boosts up to 4.8M.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824363 is a reply to message #824348 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 16:13

Trying to figure this out too.

So, the calcuation is:

1) Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost

So his salary remaining is: 29M * 2/3 (26+ player) = 19.33M

2) Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years

8 years left so this is 19.33M/8 = 2.4167M

3) Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)

For the first year: 10.5M - 2.417M = 8.083M.

4) Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)

His original cap his is 8.25M so this means the cap hit is 8.25M - 8.083M = 167k (arizona pays 12%).

So, because the contract is front loaded, they do get saved a bit up front, but they pay for that in years 3 and 4 where the cap hit boosts up to 4.8M.

Yeah I read something to that extent (or watched a YT clip describing the terms). Anybody have a yearly cap hit figure for each season? I know the cap hit number fluctuates by the season much similar to the Parise/Suter situation in Minny.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824346 is a reply to message #824343 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 14:52

OEL being bought out. Ouch

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-l arsson

Cap hits in coming years:
23/24: $146,667
24/25: $2,346,667
25/26: $4,766,667
26/27: $4,766,667
27/28: $2,126,667
28/29: $2,126,667
29/30: $2,126,667
30/31: $2,126,667

https://bphsl.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/32451343_web1_20230417170428-643dba5908cdaa5307ecd3fejpeg-640x433.jpg

Oh wow. Man that guy fell off the map in a hurry and he's not even that old. Turns 32 in July.

Yotes must be pumped. More dead cap space to help them get to salary floors every year without having to pay real players. Only 20K this year but goes along with the 21.4 they have with Vorechek, Weber and Little.

Here is a question. Is he washed up completely or just not a guy worth 8.25 mill? He's had a few bad seasons but at the same time, he's been on some bad teams for a long time. The Yotes have been a joke for a long time and the Canucks have been pretty bad as well, really bad last year. He used to be dman that could play a ton, great skater and scored goals for fun as a dman. He had a couple of 20+ goal seasons and lots in the teens. SO if he was making a couple mill on a better team vs 8.25 on lousy ones, would he be OK?

[Updated on: Fri, 16 June 2023 15:12]

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824349 is a reply to message #824346 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:02

Oh wow. Man that guy fell off the map in a hurry and he's not even that old. Turns 32 in July.

Yotes must be pumped. More dead cap space to help them get to salary floors every year without having to pay real players. Only 20K this year but goes along with the 21.4 they have with Vorechek, Weber and Little.

Here is a question. Is he washed up completely or just not a guy worth 8.25 mill? He's had a few bad seasons but at the same time, he's been on some bad teams for a long time. The Yotes have been a joke for a long time and the Canucks have been pretty bad as well, really bad last year. He used to be dman that could play a ton, great skater and scored goals for fun as a dman. He had a couple of 20+ goal seasons and lots in the teens. SO if he was making a couple mill on a better team vs 8.25 on lousy ones, would he be OK?

Trading for busted up declining players, especially with super pricey deals. Just asking for pain. Wonderful final gift from Jim Benning.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824350 is a reply to message #824349 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:16

Trading for busted up declining players, especially with super pricey deals. Just asking for pain. Wonderful final gift from Jim Benning.

NO kidding. 8 years for that buyout. Yikes.

Can he play the right side? I might be inclined to take a flyer at him for 1 yr at extremely low money. Probably a better option as a 6/7 than Murray was.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824355 is a reply to message #824350 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:21

Can he play the right side? I might be inclined to take a flyer at him for 1 yr at extremely low money. Probably a better option as a 6/7 than Murray was.

Oh god no. I don't think he can skate anymore. He's Cam Barker.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824359 is a reply to message #824355 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:48

Veteran though and if we trade Broberg for a 3rd liner, then we really need some vet to be the #6/7, right?

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824364 is a reply to message #824355 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 15:48

You know that for a fact? I always heard he was an elite skater so even if he dropped off a little, he should be better than most. I haven't watched him enough to know if that is the case. I assume you watch him a ton to know that to make a statement that he can't skate anymore?

Re: Summer 2023 Signings and Trades... [message #824369 is a reply to message #824364 ]
Sat, 17 June 2023 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 16 June 2023 16:40

You know that for a fact? I always heard he was an elite skater so even if he dropped off a little, he should be better than most. I haven't watched him enough to know if that is the case. I assume you watch him a ton to know that to make a statement that he can't skate anymore?

Yes. It's a fact. He's Cam Barker now.

He busted up a leg and turned into less than a third pairing turnstile on a bad hockey team.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Pages (7): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Ottawa Senators drama - Dorion fired
Next Topic:Mike Babcock
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca