This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821210 is a reply to message #821204 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 02:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 April 2023 23:19

What would you do? ..
11 Forwards + 7D .. or keep it the same.. 12 Forwards + 6 D

Stay 12/6. But swap Nuge and Kane, elevate Foegele and demote yamo.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Foegele
Kostin-Bjugstad-Janmark
McLeod-Ryan-Yamo

Yes, Drai scored twice at 5v5… assisted on the first goal, Janmark who wasn’t his regular linemate and then an unassisted 2nd. That 4L is tiiiny tho. Woof.

To me, Yamo really doesn't belong in the top 6. He had a nice little stretch at the end of March this year where he got 7 points in 7 games, and other than that you need to go back to his "breakout" season 3 years ago when he put up 26 points in 27 games. I know it's not ONLY about points, but since that impressive 19-20 season, he's gone on to put up a paltry 87 points in 191 games - that's a 37 point/season pace, playing 16:39/game, most of it with the either of the 2 best Cs on the planet. That's not good enough. His pts/60 of 1.56 ranks him 295th amongst all forwards in the NHL. If you only look at ES, his 1.642/60 puts him 260th. Either way well outside of top 6 numbers. And this is while playing most of his time (I think) with Draisaitl or McDavid? I'm not sure we would be losing a whole lot having him sit a game or two. confused2

I don't hate the guy - in fact I was quite high on him a few years ago and excited to see what the future would bring for him, but he's been given as much opportunity as he could ever hope for, and it's just not happening for him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821203 is a reply to message #821103 ]
Tue, 18 April 2023 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

If Oilers go 11F-7D.. Who draws out?[ 10 vote(s) ]
1.Koskin 3 / 30%
2.Yammo 6 / 60%
3.Ryan 0 / 0%
4.McLeod 1 / 10%

If they go 11-7.. who would you sit?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821238 is a reply to message #821203 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I believe they're saying that Janmark is questionable for tonight - so if someone draws out, it's him.

Also Yamamoto had a decent night on Draisaitl's line the other day. He's not coming out.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821213 is a reply to message #821103 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Yammo... the new JP.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821217 is a reply to message #821213 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 08:20

Yammo... the new JP.

He is. Like JP, he plays a TON with the Oilers top players and for whatever reason, he doesn't score much. He had a golden opportunity last game, all he had to do was raise the puck a little bit and it's a goal. He fires it into the pads. I know he does some things that Leon likes but when you play as much as he does in the top 6, with the centers the Oilers have, you have to score more than he does.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821222 is a reply to message #821217 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 08:37

Yammo... the new JP.

He is. Like JP, he plays a TON with the Oilers top players and for whatever reason, he doesn't score much. He had a golden opportunity last game, all he had to do was raise the puck a little bit and it's a goal. He fires it into the pads. I know he does some things that Leon likes but when you play as much as he does in the top 6, with the centers the Oilers have, you have to score more than he does.

He had a relatively open net, Korpisalo was off to the side, 2 kings players and Kane were in front of the net and yamo feathered it into Kane’s skate. But ya. He’s gotta be a cap casualty this summer, I don’t see how he’s not.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821224 is a reply to message #821222 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 10:11

Yammo... the new JP.

He had a relatively open net, Korpisalo was off to the side, 2 kings players and Kane were in front of the net and yamo feathered it into Kane’s skate. But ya. He’s gotta be a cap casualty this summer, I don’t see how he’s not.

Plus they have to create opportunities for Holloway to grab a full time spot. Lavoie I think needs waivers next year. You need guys on cheap deals that produce.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821239 is a reply to message #821222 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 10:11

Yammo... the new JP.

Maybe he goes this summer, but I think the hate is overblown here. He and Kane did some nice forechecking to set up that first goal the other night. Kills penalties too, and did a good job at that Monday.

And replacing him with Foegele isn't exactly an upgrade. Foegele gets chances but he has cement for hands. How many breakaways has he had this year without scoring?

Ideally, I'd have liked to see Holland get creative and find a James Van Riemsdyk or someone like that at the trade deadline, but since that didn't happen, Yamamoto is the closest thing we have to a Top-6 player outside of our top five guys.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821253 is a reply to message #821213 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Yammo... the new JP.

Out with one scapegoat, in with another. This fanbase isnt happy without having someone to blame everything on.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821258 is a reply to message #821253 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 17:35

.. Out with one scapegoat, in with another. This fanbase isnt happy without having someone to blame everything on.

Nature of professional team sport.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821301 is a reply to message #821258 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 19:45

.. Out with one scapegoat, in with another. This fanbase isnt happy without having someone to blame everything on.

Nature of stupid fans. Maybe try to understand that not everyone is McDavid, and that that doesn't mean that guys don't have a role. Also, riding our own players is counter-productive to the results we all want to see.

Starting to see it with McLeod too, and if Mark Spector and others had their way, Bouchard is on deck.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821331 is a reply to message #821301 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 21:11

Nature of stupid fans. Maybe try to understand that not everyone is McDavid, and that that doesn't mean that guys don't have a role. Also, riding our own players is counter-productive to the results we all want to see.

Starting to see it with McLeod too, and if Mark Spector and others had their way, Bouchard is on deck.

I couple of key points here that I want to add on to.
"Nature of stupid fans"; You see it time and again. There only two acceptable player types to dumb fans; superstars and loveable underdogs that try hard.
If someone is a good or even great player, with some flaws they marked as a public enemy.

That leads to number 2; those same fans are the ones who listen too much to the media. I can confidently say that Edmonton has some of the worst, if not the worst, media for having a whipping boy. Some fans hear that and buy it 100%.
You then have a circular equation as the media tears a guy down, fans buy in and click, call, watch or whatever, so the media keeps it up and repeats.

Not being in Edmonton I tend to listen to general NHL radio and not Oiler based coverage. They have guest media guys on from every team. The Oiler guys are amazing in their ability to be negative. Most others spend the time sounding as much like a PR rep than a news reporter.

I tend to have a general rule, if a fan combines;
- picks a talented player as the whipping boy while replaceable supporting role players
- complains about refs even when it is the right call call
- parrots local media

You can be one, maybe even two on a bad day, but if someone has all three constantly it is a solid chance they know nothing about the game.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #821360 is a reply to message #821331 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 22:00 Go to previous message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 21:49

Adam wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 21:11

I couple of key points here that I want to add on to.
"Nature of stupid fans"; You see it time and again. There only two acceptable player types to dumb fans; superstars and loveable underdogs that try hard.
If someone is a good or even great player, with some flaws they marked as a public enemy.

That leads to number 2; those same fans are the ones who listen too much to the media. I can confidently say that Edmonton has some of the worst, if not the worst, media for having a whipping boy. Some fans hear that and buy it 100%.
You then have a circular equation as the media tears a guy down, fans buy in and click, call, watch or whatever, so the media keeps it up and repeats.

Not being in Edmonton I tend to listen to general NHL radio and not Oiler based coverage. They have guest media guys on from every team. The Oiler guys are amazing in their ability to be negative. Most others spend the time sounding as much like a PR rep than a news reporter.

I tend to have a general rule, if a fan combines;
- picks a talented player as the whipping boy while replaceable supporting role players
- complains about refs even when it is the right call call
- parrots local media

You can be one, maybe even two on a bad day, but if someone has all three constantly it is a solid chance they know nothing about the game.

So many fans think that if a guy isn't a first line player, then he's gotta be Matt Hendricks or Josh Archibald.

Although Archibald was a mess - hit everything but ignored the puck so much of the time.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca