This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820572]
Wed, 05 April 2023 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Anaheim to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2022-23 Regular Season
Saturday, December 17, 2022Anaheim 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Wednesday, January 11, 2023Edmonton 6 @ Anaheim 2Win
Saturday, April 1, 2023Anaheim 0 @ Edmonton 6Win
Wednesday, April 5, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Anaheim 1Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 3-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 9/9 Total: 18
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/3 Total: 7

2021-22 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 19, 2021Anaheim 5 @ Edmonton 6Win
Thursday, February 17, 2022Anaheim 3 @ Edmonton 7Win
Sunday, April 3, 2022Edmonton 6 @ Anaheim 1Win
Home Record: 2-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 3-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 13/6 Total: 19
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/1 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820585 is a reply to message #820572 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Nugecan hit 100 points!

Won’t be around for this one tonight. Going to the Regina pats game. Game 4 tonight

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820586 is a reply to message #820585 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

This could be a tough game. Thankfully the travel is basically zero but coming off a huge, emotional game against the team you probably will play in the playoffs, then having to play a bottom feeder team who has nothing to play for could be tough to get up for.

I hope they just come out flying early, get up big and get the win.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820588 is a reply to message #820586 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

It's Anaheim. Eakins sucks. Can't lose this game. Just get business done.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820590 is a reply to message #820588 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I'll have more of the same please.

We have the easiest schedule remaining of the teams fighting for top spot in our division, so need to take advantage of that & bag the 2pts.

The way Colorado has been heating up the past few weeks it wouldn't surprise me to see them fighting with us for top spot in the conference. The games between the top 3-4 teams are going to be interesting for sure. Avs vs Kings tomorrow will be a big one.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820591 is a reply to message #820590 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Being Nurse's biggest critque; I just came here to give him a shout out for looking like an NHL D since the deadline.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820593 is a reply to message #820591 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I find it funny that people thought Nurse was having a bad year. He wasn't but the haters don't see it that way. He's been good all year.

That being said, I think he's been very good for the last few months especially since Ekholm came. He looks like a guy who's way calmer and just going out there playing his game and doing his job. I think before he was trying to do his job plus do everyone else's because he thought he had too. With Ekholm, he's got another real good dman who can go out there, play 20 mins a night and be good all the time so a weight looks to have been lifted from Nurse.

Nurse has scored 12 goals, 43 pts in 78 games. He gets next to no PP time. He has 1 pp point. If Nurse was on the Oilers top unit PP, I feel pretty confident in saying he'd be pushing 20 goals and 70 pts. Between Barrie and Bouchard, the PP dmen have scored 5 goals and 40 pts on the PP. If he was scoring 60-70 pts, no one would question him as a dman.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820594 is a reply to message #820593 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 11:02

I find it funny that people thought Nurse was having a bad year. He wasn't but the haters don't see it that way. He's been good all year.

That being said, I think he's been very good for the last few months especially since Ekholm came. He looks like a guy who's way calmer and just going out there playing his game and doing his job. I think before he was trying to do his job plus do everyone else's because he thought he had too. With Ekholm, he's got another real good dman who can go out there, play 20 mins a night and be good all the time so a weight looks to have been lifted from Nurse.

Nurse has scored 12 goals, 43 pts in 78 games. He gets next to no PP time. He has 1 pp point. If Nurse was on the Oilers top unit PP, I feel pretty confident in saying he'd be pushing 20 goals and 70 pts. Between Barrie and Bouchard, the PP dmen have scored 5 goals and 40 pts on the PP. If he was scoring 60-70 pts, no one would question him as a dman.

Nurse I think is best with a reliable D partner that can pass the puck well from our end. Nurse likes to move and it works great for him a lot of the time, but still needs a good guy backing him up when he's taken himself out of position. Ceci was great last year, big step back this year.

For sure with Ekholm here giving us top pair quality minutes and responsibilities spread out, it's helped tremendously. Still not that happy with Ceci's game, but the overall group is playing much better still.

Totally agree if Nurse got PP time, he could be a 70+ point guy now. He got money as if that was assumed already though, so he can't have hard feelings :)

[Updated on: Wed, 05 April 2023 11:17]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820595 is a reply to message #820594 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 11:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 11:02

Nurse I think is best with a reliable D partner that can pass the puck well from our end. Nurse likes to move and it works great for him a lot of the time, but still needs a good guy backing him up when he's taken himself out of position. Ceci was great last year, big step back this year.

For sure with Ekholm here giving us top pair quality minutes and responsibilities spread out, it's helped tremendously. Still not that happy with Ceci's game, but the overall group is playing much better still.

Totally agree if Nurse got PP time, he could be a 70+ point guy now. He got money as if that was assumed already though, so he can't have hard feelings :)

I keep hearing from several people over and over again when ever Ceci is brought up, that he's got a core issue he's been dealing with. He has been a lot better lately so hopefully that means whatever injury Ceci has had, it's getting better.

That being said, if the Oilers in the offseason could use Ceci in a trade plus something else to get a slight upgrade on Ceci while not breaking the bank cap wise, that would make it so they would have 2 excellent pairings.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 April 2023 11:37]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820596 is a reply to message #820595 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I have heard it mentioned when it comes to Nurse's contract and I agree with it. The Oilers rightly or wrongly kicked his contract down the road and bridged him twice. His last one was 2 yrs at 5.6 mill. He grossly outperformed his contracts each year. I find it funny that prior to signing his 5.6 yr deal, there was a rumor he was looking for around 7 on a max term people which many fans lost their absolute minds over. That would have been a fantastic contract. But instead the Oilers kicked the contract down the road once again and normally when you do that, it bites you in the ass because all the money you didn't give him before by bridging him, most of it generally gets paid back. I haven't bothered to look but I can't think of too many times where the team bridged a really good player multiple times and then once it came time to go long term, the money on the long term was team friendly.

I think it was a perfect storm for Nurse and I have heard this mentioned by some media. When Holland took over the team, he thought he had 3 out of 4 of his long term, top 4 dmen in place. Nurse, Klef, Larsson. Klef was signed up until this year on a cheap deal. Nurse was going to come. Larsson was signed. So get 1 more dmen which is doable and you are set as you cruise into McD and Leon's best years. What happens:
Klef gets hurt and is done from hockey forever at 26. He hasn't played a game since the 19-20 season. So you lose a very good, top 4 dmen signed for cheap going into his prime years at 26 just like than.

Larsson's who already lost one of his best friends from the team with Klef being gone, has his dad come over to visit, dies of a sudden massive heart attack in Edmonton. He finished his deal, was going to resign but then decides not to resign because he and his family, especially his mother find it too painful of a memory to be in Edmonton. So boom, you lose 2 top 4 dmem just like that.

Nurses is finally out of bridge options. You deferred money to him twice. There is a massive, short term spike in the Dmen market. He had a great year in the weird bubble hockey year where he was able to rack up points against a bad Ottawa team and a few others. You literally have no leverage now since you just lost 2 top 4 dmen and you can't lose a 3rd. So he gets paid. I would put money down if Klef was still here, Larsson would probably still be here and Nurse's contract would be a lot less because they wouldn't have been as desperate to keep him.

Can't change the past but its nice to see Nurse doing so well and the team poised to go on a big run I hope.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820601 is a reply to message #820596 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 11:50

I have heard it mentioned when it comes to Nurse's contract and I agree with it. The Oilers rightly or wrongly kicked his contract down the road and bridged him twice. His last one was 2 yrs at 5.6 mill. He grossly outperformed his contracts each year. I find it funny that prior to signing his 5.6 yr deal, there was a rumor he was looking for around 7 on a max term people which many fans lost their absolute minds over. That would have been a fantastic contract. But instead the Oilers kicked the contract down the road once again and normally when you do that, it bites you in the ass because all the money you didn't give him before by bridging him, most of it generally gets paid back. I haven't bothered to look but I can't think of too many times where the team bridged a really good player multiple times and then once it came time to go long term, the money on the long term was team friendly.

I think it was a perfect storm for Nurse and I have heard this mentioned by some media. When Holland took over the team, he thought he had 3 out of 4 of his long term, top 4 dmen in place. Nurse, Klef, Larsson. Klef was signed up until this year on a cheap deal. Nurse was going to come. Larsson was signed. So get 1 more dmen which is doable and you are set as you cruise into McD and Leon's best years. What happens:
Klef gets hurt and is done from hockey forever at 26. He hasn't played a game since the 19-20 season. So you lose a very good, top 4 dmen signed for cheap going into his prime years at 26 just like than.

Larsson's who already lost one of his best friends from the team with Klef being gone, has his dad come over to visit, dies of a sudden massive heart attack in Edmonton. He finished his deal, was going to resign but then decides not to resign because he and his family, especially his mother find it too painful of a memory to be in Edmonton. So boom, you lose 2 top 4 dmem just like that.

Nurses is finally out of bridge options. You deferred money to him twice. There is a massive, short term spike in the Dmen market. He had a great year in the weird bubble hockey year where he was able to rack up points against a bad Ottawa team and a few others. You literally have no leverage now since you just lost 2 top 4 dmen and you can't lose a 3rd. So he gets paid. I would put money down if Klef was still here, Larsson would probably still be here and Nurse's contract would be a lot less because they wouldn't have been as desperate to keep him.

Can't change the past but its nice to see Nurse doing so well and the team poised to go on a big run I hope.

It is definitely interesting that we bridged Nurse 2 times. I feel like this org has been in love with him from day 1, and there was never even a hint of the idea we would move him. He has been tight with McDrai this entire time and has been a core leader, but we kept bridging him.

Actually, half of that is not at all a mystery, we mismanaged our cap so badly that we had no choice but to bridge him the 2nd time. We paid for that dearly, and even helped Chicago destroy the D market right before we finally worked on Nurse's deal. I really hope we've learned. I think Bouch is the next test of this. He doesn't have the org wide love that Nurse had from the start, but I think Bouch is going to get very very expensive in 2-3 years if we bridge him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820602 is a reply to message #820601 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 12:56

I think Bouch is the next test of this. He doesn't have the org wide love that Nurse had from the start, but I think Bouch is going to get very very expensive in 2-3 years if we bridge him.

Bouchard is a different situation. The Oilers need him to be as cheap as humanly possible for at least the next two years and potentially until the Campbell situation is either dealt with or rectified. If the Oilers rush to sign him now at too high of a price, they've probably learned the wrong lessons.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820603 is a reply to message #820601 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It is definitely interesting that we bridged Nurse 2 times. I feel like this org has been in love with him from day 1, and there was never even a hint of the idea we would move him. He has been tight with McDrai this entire time and has been a core leader, but we kept bridging him.

Actually, half of that is not at all a mystery, we mismanaged our cap so badly that we had no choice but to bridge him the 2nd time. We paid for that dearly, and even helped Chicago destroy the D market right before we finally worked on Nurse's deal. I really hope we've learned. I think Bouch is the next test of this. He doesn't have the org wide love that Nurse had from the start, but I think Bouch is going to get very very expensive in 2-3 years if we bridge him.

I will be very interested to see what Bouchard would want. I view him as a Dman who's great at puck moving, can produce offence but defensively I believe will be average at best. So what is that worth on a long term deal? Could I see him scoring 60 pts next year with him being on the Oilers PP. I see him as a better Barrie. So what is that worth?

I don't care what some peoples manipulated numbers say about him defensively. I watch the games. I see the mistakes, I see him getting out battled in the corners, I see the soft plays along the walls, I see him pull up and he let's the guy win a puck race so he doesn't have to get contact, I see the lack of awareness on what I deem as dman basics like head checking, tying up guys, lifting sticks. Then we see how much his game takes off when he is with a vet dman who knows how to defend and is on the ice with him telling him what to do every single shift. If he was so good defensively, the change in his game just because he has a different partner wouldn't be so severe. Then I look at the numbers and I recognize this stat isn't perfect but:
Nurse+ 21 a guy that plays virtually exclusively against other teams best players
Ceci+ 8, as rough of a season as he's had, he' still +8 playing against every teams best.
Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

Something wrong with that if he's even decent defensively when everyone else is WAY about zero and you aren't.

So what do you pay an offensive dman who needs a really good partner to prop him up in order for him to from the offensive blueline back, be passable defensively. I think on a 2-3 yr deal, what Dobson got so 4 mill per is fair. On a 5-6 yr deal I think 6.5 is fair.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820665 is a reply to message #820603 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 13:13

I will be very interested to see what Bouchard would want. I view him as a Dman who's great at puck moving, can produce offence but defensively I believe will be average at best. So what is that worth on a long term deal? Could I see him scoring 60 pts next year with him being on the Oilers PP. I see him as a better Barrie. So what is that worth?

I don't care what some peoples manipulated numbers say about him defensively. I watch the games. I see the mistakes, I see him getting out battled in the corners, I see the soft plays along the walls, I see him pull up and he let's the guy win a puck race so he doesn't have to get contact, I see the lack of awareness on what I deem as dman basics like head checking, tying up guys, lifting sticks. Then we see how much his game takes off when he is with a vet dman who knows how to defend and is on the ice with him telling him what to do every single shift. If he was so good defensively, the change in his game just because he has a different partner wouldn't be so severe. Then I look at the numbers and I recognize this stat isn't perfect but:
Nurse+ 21 a guy that plays virtually exclusively against other teams best players
Ceci+ 8, as rough of a season as he's had, he' still +8 playing against every teams best.
Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

Something wrong with that if he's even decent defensively when everyone else is WAY about zero and you aren't.

So what do you pay an offensive dman who needs a really good partner to prop him up in order for him to from the offensive blueline back, be passable defensively. I think on a 2-3 yr deal, what Dobson got so 4 mill per is fair. On a 5-6 yr deal I think 6.5 is fair.

I was hoping for something around 6M long term as well.

And just some context for Bouch's season. He had a bad start for sure. His lack of McDavid time, having a partner struggling as bad or worse and just being the lucky guy on the ice when goalies were letting in pretty much every good chance (especially Campbell as we recall), did tank his +/-. I'm actually surprised he managed to get back to even. He seemed to be getting a minus a night, in many cases his crime was just sharing the ice with a goalie that can't make a save.

His 2023 has been good though, even before Ekholm. The entire team started to play better of course, for whatever reason, maybe seeing they were out of the playoffs and suddenly the group decided to try some stuff that worked for them last year. Bouch just had a much bigger +/- hole to dig out of than most others.

Here is our D 5v5 2023 though:

https://i.ibb.co/nPwjm3t/2023-Bouch.jpg

Best xGF on the team in the new year. He makes mistakes for sure, but he's making good plays all night long in his end and the neutral zone with the puck. I've personally been surprised at his creativity making plays in the last couple months. It's stuff that I guess not everyone appreciates, especially people that are looking for 1 mistake to rant about, but he's making plays all night that not many D on our team can do. IMO we need to lock this guy up. Once he gets really comfortable on the PP, especially on our PP where the goals are constantly flowing, he could be a 9m+ guy as UFA, especially if the cap starts moving up again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820671 is a reply to message #820665 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 08:08

Best xGF on the team in the new year. He makes mistakes for sure, but he's making good plays all night long in his end and the neutral zone with the puck. I've personally been surprised at his creativity making plays in the last couple months. It's stuff that I guess not everyone appreciates, especially people that are looking for 1 mistake to rant about, but he's making plays all night that not many D on our team can do. IMO we need to lock this guy up. Once he gets really comfortable on the PP, especially on our PP where the goals are constantly flowing, he could be a 9m+ guy as UFA, especially if the cap starts moving up again.

I agree with everything you've written here. I wonder if the Oilers see it. Our dunce cap media definitely doesn't, and we're going to get only stories that Ekholm has been the full difference maker there - ignoring that when paired with Broberg, Bouchard was also really good.

Honestly, I still will not be shocked if the Oilers re-visit a Erik Karlsson trade in the summer and deal Bouchard back the other way. I think we'd live to regret that, but such is life as an Oilers fan. If they keep him, I expect that the team tries to save some money by pushing the Ekholm as difference maker narrative, and then bridging Bouchard.

What they should do? Lock him up for as long as they can at as cheap as they can.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820672 is a reply to message #820665 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

And just some context for Bouch's season. He had a bad start for sure. His lack of McDavid time, having a partner struggling as bad or worse and just being the lucky guy on the ice when goalies were letting in pretty much every good chance (especially Campbell as we recall), did tank his +/-. I'm actually surprised he managed to get back to even. He seemed to be getting a minus a night, in many cases his crime was just sharing the ice with a goalie that can't make a save.

His 2023 has been good though, even before Ekholm. The entire team started to play better of course, for whatever reason, maybe seeing they were out of the playoffs and suddenly the group decided to try some stuff that worked for them last year. Bouch just had a much bigger +/- hole to dig out of than most others.

I guess maybe we see the game differently. I appreciate that his advanced stats look good but where I differ is your comment about being a person looking for 1 mistake to rant about.

When the Oilers are playing a team like the Kings and it's a 1-0 or 2-1 game either late in the regular season or what looks like a possible first round match up. While I absolutely love his outlet passing and offensive instincts and think they are very valuable. When he forgets to shoulder check to pick up the open man that's standing in the slot or he decides to take an ill advised, low percentage pinch that causes a breakaway or 2 on 1 or he is in a foot race for a loose puck but pulls up right before the corner to avoid contact to let the other guy get the puck and those things result in a goal. That 1 mistake that I am ranting about, are kind of big freaking deals in tight games in the playoffs and at least for me, kind of negate the really nice outlet pass he did a shift or 2 before.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820673 is a reply to message #820672 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 10:00

Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

I guess maybe we see the game differently. I appreciate that his advanced stats look good but where I differ is your comment about being a person looking for 1 mistake to rant about.

When the Oilers are playing a team like the Kings and it's a 1-0 or 2-1 game either late in the regular season or what looks like a possible first round match up. While I absolutely love his outlet passing and offensive instincts and think they are very valuable. When he forgets to shoulder check to pick up the open man that's standing in the slot or he decides to take an ill advised, low percentage pinch that causes a breakaway or 2 on 1 or he is in a foot race for a loose puck but pulls up right before the corner to avoid contact to let the other guy get the puck and those things result in a goal. That 1 mistake that I am ranting about, are kind of big freaking deals in tight games in the playoffs and at least for me, kind of negate the really nice outlet pass he did a shift or 2 before.

Nurse Ceci Kulak and others are making mistakes all the time. And most of those guys aren't able to make it up with good puck moving to keep us more often on the attack at even strength. I think a lot of the time how a D and goalies is painted in someones mind can be based on what narrative they have in their head already.

All D make mistakes all the time, but if you're looking for them from 1 guy more than others, you can really start thinking one guy is doing it far more than others. Bouch's comparable when drafted was John Carlson. Try watching Carlson for a game, he makes a hilarious amount of lazy plays. Did it all the way to his cup win, but the guy moves the puck well and made up for it many other ways. That's one good thing about looking at stats. Bouch is +16 goals for vs against in 2023, better than any other Oilers D. But I'm sure for many people that have been railing on Bouch, they may not think that is the case at all. And of course even having to accept it, they can just say it was all Ekholm, ignoring how he was doing great after the entire team pulled their heads out of their butts (And Campbell went on a little run of being able to make a save) before Ek joined the team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820677 is a reply to message #820673 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 10:35

Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

Nurse Ceci Kulak and others are making mistakes all the time. And most of those guys aren't able to make it up with good puck moving to keep us more often on the attack at even strength. I think a lot of the time how a D and goalies is painted in someones mind can be based on what narrative they have in their head already.

All D make mistakes all the time, but if you're looking for them from 1 guy more than others, you can really start thinking one guy is doing it far more than others. Bouch's comparable when drafted was John Carlson. Try watching Carlson for a game, he makes a hilarious amount of lazy plays. Did it all the way to his cup win, but the guy moves the puck well and made up for it many other ways. That's one good thing about looking at stats. Bouch is +16 goals for vs against in 2023, better than any other Oilers D. But I'm sure for many people that have been railing on Bouch, they may not think that is the case at all. And of course even having to accept it, they can just say it was all Ekholm, ignoring how he was doing great after the entire team pulled their heads out of their butts (And Campbell went on a little run of being able to make a save) before Ek joined the team.

I am not looking for perfection, I know all dmen are going to make mistakes. For me, it's the type of mistake that bothers me. For the record, I don't fixate on Bouchard looking for his mistake but what I end up seeing is him making mistakes that I deem as him not doing his job and he's not doing his job by choice so they stand out to me.

When Nurse or Ceci or Bouchard or whoever make a mistake because they make a bad read or the puck rolls of their stick or when they are under pressure they flub a pass or in an effort to make a play up the ice, they rush it or get a little too risky and don't see a guy, I don't like when that happens but I can accept it because mistakes happen. It's part of the game.

But what I can't accept and what I see Bouchard do more than others are mistakes on plays where he makes a conscious decision not to do something. When the puck gets fired into his end and he's the closest dman or its on his side, it's his JOB to go and get the puck. When you go and get the puck in the corner and the other team is forechecking, there is a good chance the dman is probably going to take a hit. The dmen are typically the first ones back so in their job description it says they should go and retrieve the puck. So when I see him going back to get the puck and there is another guy coming and he pulls up to let the other guy get the puck to avoid getting hit, he's not doing his job. When the puck is on the wall and he has it and he sees a guy coming and he does a soft play or gives it up to avoid contact, he's not doing his job. When he's standing in front of the net with opposing players around him and he just stand there not engaging them, he's not doing his job. These aren't things I make up, they are things that happen and they happen probably close to every game and are things that he should be and could easily do but choses not too and usually they end up causing a big problem.

I like Bouchard a lot but things like that should be taken into consideration when you discuss a contract because when it's 2-1 in a playoff game and Bouchard decides to pull up rather than take the hit to get the puck and it results in a goal, that's a big deal to me. They happen and probably will happen in these playoffs and its something that is completely avoidable if he wants too and it's not something that shows up in the stats you produced.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820680 is a reply to message #820677 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 11:23

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 10:35

Ekholm +18
Kulak + 14
Deharnais +14
Bouchard 0

I am not looking for perfection, I know all dmen are going to make mistakes. For me, it's the type of mistake that bothers me. For the record, I don't fixate on Bouchard looking for his mistake but what I end up seeing is him making mistakes that I deem as him not doing his job and he's not doing his job by choice so they stand out to me.

When Nurse or Ceci or Bouchard or whoever make a mistake because they make a bad read or the puck rolls of their stick or when they are under pressure they flub a pass or in an effort to make a play up the ice, they rush it or get a little too risky and don't see a guy, I don't like when that happens but I can accept it because mistakes happen. It's part of the game.

But what I can't accept and what I see Bouchard do more than others are mistakes on plays where he makes a conscious decision not to do something. When the puck gets fired into his end and he's the closest dman or its on his side, it's his JOB to go and get the puck. When you go and get the puck in the corner and the other team is forechecking, there is a good chance the dman is probably going to take a hit. The dmen are typically the first ones back so in their job description it says they should go and retrieve the puck. So when I see him going back to get the puck and there is another guy coming and he pulls up to let the other guy get the puck to avoid getting hit, he's not doing his job. When the puck is on the wall and he has it and he sees a guy coming and he does a soft play or gives it up to avoid contact, he's not doing his job. When he's standing in front of the net with opposing players around him and he just stand there not engaging them, he's not doing his job. These aren't things I make up, they are things that happen and they happen probably close to every game and are things that he should be and could easily do but choses not too and usually they end up causing a big problem.

I like Bouchard a lot but things like that should be taken into consideration when you discuss a contract because when it's 2-1 in a playoff game and Bouchard decides to pull up rather than take the hit to get the puck and it results in a goal, that's a big deal to me. They happen and probably will happen in these playoffs and its something that is completely avoidable if he wants too and it's not something that shows up in the stats you produced.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing as you to be honest. I don't think he's intentionally trying to avoid contact out there. I do see him being caught up between 2 thinks he could do and sometimes he ends up in no mans land, but that's something we tolerated from Nurse and others for many years. Nurse only really started to look pretty competent defensively in the last half of last year in my eyes. He's still chasing the puck way out of position a lot, but oh well, just hope his D partner gets they have the responsibly to back up our best skating D that likes to jump on offense a lot.

Bouch is not polished yet for sure, I'll try to watch him defensively more, but I personally don't get an impression that he's intentionally costing the team to avoid contact.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820682 is a reply to message #820680 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 12:04

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing as you to be honest. I don't think he's intentionally trying to avoid contact out there. I do see him being caught up between 2 thinks he could do and sometimes he ends up in no mans land, but that's something we tolerated from Nurse and others for many years. Nurse only really started to look pretty competent defensively in the last half of last year in my eyes. He's still chasing the puck way out of position a lot, but oh well, just hope his D partner gets they have the responsibly to back up our best skating D that likes to jump on offense a lot.

Bouch is not polished yet for sure, I'll try to watch him defensively more, but I personally don't get an impression that he's intentionally costing the team to avoid contact.

Yeah - I think that people who want to pick on players look to find what they're looking for. Spector is the worst for this, in part because he's got a big audience, but there's lots of hockey fans who do this. They decide they don't like a player because of a couple isolated plays or because a couple media guys rag on him, and then they look for anything that confirms their biases.

I mean, dodging hits is sometimes a pretty good decision - but if you think a player is soft then you're going to see it always as a negative.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820609 is a reply to message #820585 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 09:18

Nugecan hit 100 points!

Won’t be around for this one tonight. Going to the Regina pats game. Game 4 tonight

Go Pats. Any good PA boy can’t ever cheer for the Blades.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820615 is a reply to message #820609 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 19:42

Nugecan hit 100 points!

Go Blades. (yes, I know the Pats are up 3-2 in game 4 and 2-1 in the series.)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820668 is a reply to message #820615 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 04:05

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 19:42

Nugecan hit 100 points!

Go Blades. (yes, I know the Pats are up 3-2 in game 4 and 2-1 in the series.)

Hahah we choked away another one last night. It was a hell of a game and Bedard had 2 beauties, but wasn't enough... Blades are such a good team! Game 5 goes tomorrow now.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820667 is a reply to message #820609 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 02:42

Nugecan hit 100 points!

Hell yes! It was a good game but another disappointing overtime loss... The team can't put together a full 60 minutes unfortunately.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820597 is a reply to message #820572 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Musty as Duck tonight, lads and ladettes

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820607 is a reply to message #820572 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 10:53

Musty as Duck tonight, lads and ladettes

Musto Vittoria!!

Tempo di Martello!!

Gene P. tribute

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820608 is a reply to message #820607 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

We win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820678 is a reply to message #820572 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

*`so we won last night `*

It was a nice win, and it has occurred to me last night that Dallas Eakins only over sees real loser teams in the NHL, like the Oilers were under his realm.

I am truly getting excited for the playoffs and Nuggy got his 100th point.

No post game thread, so I'll do it here: woooo

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820679 is a reply to message #820678 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Maybe after the Flames fire Sutter Dallas can come back to Alberta?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820688 is a reply to message #820678 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 10:27

No post game thread, so I'll do it here: woooo

I wasn't around at the time, but it appears the post game thread happened.

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=nested&th=48845& ;start=0&rid=2&

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79) [message #820695 is a reply to message #820688 ]
Fri, 07 April 2023 11:23 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Just want the damn playoffs here!!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #80)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca