This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818631]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Boston to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818639 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Losing sucks, but that was a great effort. Draisaitl and Yamamoto had so many chances.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818640 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

All I can say is wow!! Vinny D!!!! 3 major blocks then goes to fight!!! Massive fan of the guy!!!! Congrats to McDavid on 50 and to Leon on the massive throw away at the end.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818641 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

How many points have we given away this year by playing half as hard as that against a crap team? Dozen or so?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818643 is a reply to message #818641 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 21:17

How many points have we given away this year by playing half as hard as that against a crap team? Dozen or so?

Easily. 4 against the Blue Jacket alone.

I hate to say moral victory, but that was a moral victory.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818642 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Neat over time you learn what players a coach has a perma-hate for and which have an infinite leash. Yams is a favorite for sure.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818644 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Frustrating outcome because they had the chance to take this one. Glad to be wrong that Boston didn't run them out of the building, but these hot/cold efforts are starting to wear on me.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 February 2023 21:28]

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818645 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McDavid gets his 50th! And was the entire offense.. sadly no one else able to follow his lead.

Kulak brain fart on the 2nd goal..
Fire Drill on the 3rd goal.. couldn't clear the zone to save their life.

For a guy that has no finish, Yamamoto @ $3.1M (+ another year) is starting to be one of the worst Oiler contracts.. had at least 3 game winning goals on his stick that he couldn't manage to put in.. Doesn't add much else.. his forecheck is weak, doesn't seem to be able to retrieve the puck very often in either zone.. putting him in a trade would clear some useful cap.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818647 is a reply to message #818645 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 21:45

McDavid gets his 50th! And was the entire offense.. sadly no one else able to follow his lead.

For a guy that has no finish, Yamamoto @ $3.1M (+ another year) is starting to be one of the worst Oiler contracts.. had at least 3 game winning goals on his stick that he couldn't manage to put in.. Doesn't add much else.. his forecheck is weak, doesn't seem to be able to retrieve the puck very often in either zone.. putting him in a trade would clear some useful cap.

Feel bad picking on a guy for size, but I worry that he's been beat up a little too much so far. He isn't built like a stocky tank like a lot of smaller guys that had longevity in the league. He's taken a lot of damage already.

Coach clearly loves his effort. I wish we could find a way back to that Yams at the start of his career that was buzzing all over the place with no fear and had some good hands around the net.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818648 is a reply to message #818647 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 21:50

Feel bad picking on a guy for size, but I worry that he's been beat up a little too much so far. He isn't built like a stocky tank like a lot of smaller guys that had longevity in the league. He's taken a lot of damage already.

Coach clearly loves his effort. I wish we could find a way back to that Yams at the start of his career that was buzzing all over the place with no fear and had some good hands around the net.

Teams can only have so many players making about 3 million dollars who don't score enough.

Yamo and Pulju are fast becoming cautionary tales for what happens when you hang on to assets too long. Slightly too expensive but not quite productive enough. Hopefully Raphael Lavoie gets up to speed quickly.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818649 is a reply to message #818647 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 20:50

Yamo is smaller than the "small" players in the NHL you usually think of to compare.
Yamo is both short and light.. not a lot of mass.. and he doesn't have really high speed to go with it.

Yamo is listed at 5'-8" 153 lbs.

Reference Players
Marchand is 5'-9" 181 lbs.
Marty St. Louis was 5'-8" 176 lbs.
Johnny Hockey 5'-9" 165 lbs

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818650 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Unrelated to the game but you know I often find it disappointing how tame the Edmonton crowd is.

McDavid scored his 50th to tie the game. While I heard some mvp chants through the TV, it seemed pretty weak and short lived. That building should have been as loud as ever and for a long time.

Like Bo Horvat got his name chanted in multiple games loudly now on Long Island. Have we ever cheered on Draisaitl like that? I don’t think so.

Our weird goal song doesn’t help.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818652 is a reply to message #818650 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Didn’t get to see the game as I had the stomach flu. Saw the highlights, looks like it was a competitive game and could’ve gone either way. Looks like we had a lot of chances that we couldn’t capitalize on. Not sad about the loss. This is a great team, hopefully we can beat Toronto.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818705 is a reply to message #818650 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 22:32

Unrelated to the game but you know I often find it disappointing how tame the Edmonton crowd is.

McDavid scored his 50th to tie the game. While I heard some mvp chants through the TV, it seemed pretty weak and short lived. That building should have been as loud as ever and for a long time.

Like Bo Horvat got his name chanted in multiple games loudly now on Long Island. Have we ever cheered on Draisaitl like that? I don’t think so.

The fanbase has been long ready for a chant related to a Conn Smythe. Harts are old news, that's just the way it is.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818708 is a reply to message #818705 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Edmonton has always had a quiet building going back to the Northlands Mausoleum days

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818716 is a reply to message #818705 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 15:02 Go to previous message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 13:16

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 22:32

The fanbase has been long ready for a chant related to a Conn Smythe. Harts are old news, that's just the way it is.

We aren’t gonna see a McDavid on the Oilers in our lifetime. The fans in the building should at least be very emphatic when he hits a major milestone.

There are a lot of teams out there who have existed for a long time and not had a player like this…

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818653 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Wish I could've seen this one...blocked out from my ESPN subscription service as this game was aired on NHL Network which no cable/satellite/tv streaming service offers this anymore :/

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818654 is a reply to message #818653 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 07:25

Wish I could've seen this one...blocked out from my ESPN subscription service as this game was aired on NHL Network which no cable/satellite/tv streaming service offers this anymore :/

Ok, I've somewhat tried to defend the NHL's blackout rules, but that's just dumb. I'm assuming it was local to Boston on NESN, why block out the rest of the country? Why does NHL Network have exclusive national rights? Why isn't NHL Network just a channel within ESPN+?

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818655 is a reply to message #818654 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 08:22

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 07:25

Ok, I've somewhat tried to defend the NHL's blackout rules, but that's just dumb. I'm assuming it was local to Boston on NESN, why block out the rest of the country? Why does NHL Network have exclusive national rights? Why isn't NHL Network just a channel within ESPN+?

The game was on NESN. I think the NHL is trying to make monday night hockey a thing and that's why we got an early start. But you're right, it makes no sense. Why monkey with start times and restrict who can see the game if you're trying to grow a product? This is penny foolish and pound foolish

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818657 is a reply to message #818655 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Entertaining game. I liked that they played with the Bruins and played at a high pace but to beat the best teams, you can't have so many guys being quiet.

Hyman was very quiet.
Ryan for a bottom 6 guy was quiet. I know he got limited ice time but he wasn't doing much to earn more.
McLeod I thought was quiet. Not a bad game but I wish he brought more.
None of the defense I thought were bad but none stood out, except Desharnais though his penalty late was costly.
JP did his usual thing. Nothing bad but nothing great. He didn't get a lot of ice time but I didn't see him flying around making it so the coaches would want to give more.

Nuge was OK but not a single shot on goal.
Drai was OK, not great on the back check for the first goal but only 1 shot.
Janmark I thought played pretty well but he's a 4th liner.
Kostin looked decent. Nice play on McD's 50th. Physical. Looks good for a guy missing as much time as he did.

Yamo I thought was fine but he's got to score on that first period chance. He plays a lot so he has to score. I felt that was a major mistake on his part.

I thought Skinner was good at times but I hold him responsible on the game winner. I know it was a bit unlucky for he and Zacha basically hitting the puck at the same time and it going up just perfect but I felt he was slow to react and why didn't he just jump on it? If he jumps at it, the play is dead. In a tight game like that, the small things matter and that was a small thing that result in a goal.

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818658 is a reply to message #818657 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I'm kind of surprised that Leon doesn't give up the puck more when entering the o-zone. He never drives to the net. 95% of the time he pivots between the blue and ringette lines, 4% he carries the puck to his spot by the faceoff dot, then always turns for a pass. He's great at it... but how is he allowed to do it so freely?

Re: Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61) [message #818660 is a reply to message #818631 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

All 3 GA a Bruin is able to get at a puck from 3 ft out. Easy 1-timer right in front of the net. A breakaway goal. And Just a hack at the free puck in front of Skinner that goes in perfectly with our D clueless about what was going on. Multiple goals came as a result of poor breakout attempts. 1st and 3rd goals were lucky as hell with pucks bouncing off players to create perfect layups for Bruins players, but how the plays developed still had mistakes on our end.

The need for improved defense still stands, even though the visual betterness was there.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62)
Next Topic:GDT: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca