This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818271]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Colorado to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818287 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Campbell is hot garbage

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818291 is a reply to message #818287 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...at least we were saved the disappointment of the shootout. icon_rolleyes

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818298 is a reply to message #818287 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 22:55

Campbell is hot garbage

You can add Nurse to that list as well. Why they call him a defenseman is beyond me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818300 is a reply to message #818298 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 22:58

Campbell is hot garbage

You can add Nurse to that list as well. Why they call him a defenseman is beyond me.

Agreed

This team won’t do anything come playoffs

If we make plauoff

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818302 is a reply to message #818300 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yep. Awful.

I don't even care if they make the playoffs now. Honestly, this is a team heading nowhere.

I'm finished commenting on them this year. This last stretch is a trash heap extraordinaire.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818304 is a reply to message #818300 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 15:59

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 22:58

Campbell is hot garbage

Agreed

This team won’t do anything come playoffs

If we make plauoff

We still have a 5-point lead on the Flames who are sitting in the first out spot. One game in hand for the Flames, but they've been pretty meh lately too.

I'm not really concerned about making the playoffs. I think the team can sleepwalk and still make it. We did pick up another point here, despite the disappointment.

Whether we can do anything IN the playoffs? That's a different story. I think we're going to need to get Skinner back healthy, and rely on him because Campbell looks terrible, even when he's making the saves. The OT really should have ended when Toews was jamming in front. Somehow Campbell not down or square there, so he just got lucky to stop it.

I've said it before, I would really love for the Oilers to find one of those good goalies that looks effortless - like Hellebuyck - rather than a scrambly guy who looks like he's always really trying and lets in crap because he's inefficient in the goal.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818313 is a reply to message #818298 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 14:58

Campbell is hot garbage

If the oilers got Karlsson, then maybe Nurse stops trying to pretend he's Karlsson, and play defense instead?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818288 is a reply to message #818271 ]
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Remember a couple weeks ago when we were complaining about the lack of loser points? Problem solved!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818290 is a reply to message #818271 ]
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Another choke.

WT EFF was Cambell doing out there, on that goal.

Fecking terrible collapse again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818295 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://i.imgflip.com/7bqz25.jpg

But seriously. Team's effort having real issues with a lead. That's not stuff you want to keep seeing for a team that's supposed to contend.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818301 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Can we add Old Man Smith off LTIR? It would be an improvement.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818303 is a reply to message #818301 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Bench Campbell for the rest of the season, and send Nurse to the Yotes for a seventh rounder and a bag of pucks. We need to clear that cap space, as soon as possible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818305 is a reply to message #818301 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Can't wait to hear Woodcroft put a positive spin on this gong show. What's wrong with being honest with the players, not to mention the fans and tell it like it is. Giving away leads and losing in extra time is getting real old, real fast.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818306 is a reply to message #818305 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 16:06

Can't wait to hear Woodcroft put a positive spin on this gong show. What's wrong with being honest with the players, not to mention the fans and tell it like it is. Giving away leads and losing in extra time is getting real old, real fast.

Press conferences aren't for the players, and you only hurt yourself with them if you throw them under the bus to the media.

As for being honest to the fans? It's not important. The coach should insulate the roster from external distractions, not create more of them. That was a huge failing of some of our prior coaches, who were more concerned with having the media think them brilliant for being able to parse out mistakes just after the game.

The fans should NEVER be a coach or player's concern and the Oilers management should worry a whole lot less about them too.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818311 is a reply to message #818306 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 23:28

Press conferences aren't for the players, and you only hurt yourself with them if you throw them under the bus to the media.

As for being honest to the fans? It's not important. The coach should insulate the roster from external distractions, not create more of them. That was a huge failing of some of our prior coaches, who were more concerned with having the media think them brilliant for being able to parse out mistakes just after the game.

The fans should NEVER be a coach or player's concern and the Oilers management should worry a whole lot less about them too.

Com'on man, these are grown men, making big money playing a game. IMHO they are are too insulated as it is. And if fans don't matter then when the players say they appreciate the fans do you suggest they are making false statements.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818318 is a reply to message #818311 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 16:50

Adam wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 23:28

Com'on man, these are grown men, making big money playing a game. IMHO they are are too insulated as it is. And if fans don't matter then when the players say they appreciate the fans do you suggest they are making false statements.

Players and teams appreciate the fans paying the money that makes the league possible. They enjoy the roar of the crowd when they score. But players and teams shouldn't spend much time on what you and I think about the powerplay or about their tactics or about the shootout selection. You and I can gripe about all those things as much as we want, but the team can't really listen to everyone, and they don't owe you any answers when things go wrong.

Players are held accountable. They see consequences in terms of the loss, in terms of ice time, in terms of job security. Imagine if in your job an error could get you sent to a lesser version of your organization, playing for a fraction of what you make now? Saying sunshine-y things to the media does not at all reflect what gets said behind closed doors, but it protects the players from a media group that doesn't have their best interests at heart and a fan base that is...well...let's just say that the "best fans in the NHL" is a big stretch. It's a fish bowl in Edmonton and if the coach is piling on, that's not helpful.

Woodcroft will undoubtedly address the mistakes to the players, as he should. The media? Forget those guys. They're super useless. If I was a coach or manager, I would be giving them virtually nothing every single day other than the occasional joke, mostly at their expense. I certainly would never ever single out one of my players to the media so they can set loose the wolves on them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818321 is a reply to message #818318 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Aside from your comments about the media, I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818322 is a reply to message #818321 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiltec wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 18:36

Aside from your comments about the media, I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I appreciate your respectful dissent. This place would be boring if we all agreed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818308 is a reply to message #818301 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 15:01

Can we add Old Man Smith off LTIR? It would be an improvement.

You're not too wrong.. a healthy Smith is better than this garbage Campbell is coughing up.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818307 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Campbell is useless.. a shorter version of Koskinen.. except more expensive.. Mini-Mikko
That contract is already an albatross.
Oilers play a good game and the goalie gives up 6 goals.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818310 is a reply to message #818307 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 16:40

Campbell is useless.. a shorter version of Koskinen.. except more expensive.. Mini-Mikko
That contract is already an albatross.
Oilers play a good game and the goalie gives up 6 goals.

Actually reminds me of Smith. Including how the players seem impressed by him flailing around in net. The apparent effort inspires them to give him endless run support. And, if we do manage to outscore the goaltending, people compliment Campbell making "key saves" that seem to make up for a sub .900 sav%. And in the end, he somehow ends up with a 2:1 record because of all that run support he gets. We are almost perfectly mirroring Smith's career here with Campbell. His sav% is worse, but he started with a big handicap with butter pads and a glove with a hole in it. No clue how on earth he managed to do that, but at least that seems fixed.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 February 2023 16:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818315 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd consider their best skating D-man in OT with McD and LD vs. Nurse .. maybe give Broberg a try.. better shot than Nurse.. better skater..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818316 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Hate to gripe about 97 because well…

But he really needs to figure out his 5 on 5 game. 102 pts (+2) 50 points on the PP.

And why is it so important to have him out there on the PK? I don’t want my PK’ers thinking offence and cheating. I want them getting in lanes and blocking shots. The Oilers and their coaches are always wanting to strut their cute little weapons.

Yes there are 2 sets of rules for players on every team, but the gap on this team is enormous. Foegele complained about forwards not helping out the D and forwards taking extended shifts too often. That’s the leaders right there he’s talking about. Hopefully he didn’t take a turn onto Perron Street with those comments.

Simplifying the game and piling up some wins would be refreshing.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818319 is a reply to message #818316 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 17:30

Hate to gripe about 97 because well…

But he really needs to figure out his 5 on 5 game. 102 pts (+2) 50 points on the PP.

And why is it so important to have him out there on the PK? I don’t want my PK’ers thinking offence and cheating. I want them getting in lanes and blocking shots. The Oilers and their coaches are always wanting to strut their cute little weapons.

Yes there are 2 sets of rules for players on every team, but the gap on this team is enormous. Foegele complained about forwards not helping out the D and forwards taking extended shifts too often. That’s the leaders right there he’s talking about. Hopefully he didn’t take a turn onto Perron Street with those comments.

Simplifying the game and piling up some wins would be refreshing.

It was an interesting game because while generally I agree with you, you did see the leaders visibly making some great plays on the backcheck. Draisaitl and Hyman both on the same shift at one point.

And looking at the goals, I don't know that I agree that it's a backchecking issue. That MacKinnon goal - he just rushes in and takes a long shot. Goalie has to have that. Maybe would have been better for a more controlled exit from Nuge ahead of that. The 2nd goal was in transition too. Great sequence in the Colorado end, and the Avs turn around on the breakout. Ceci blocks the pass in to his own goal. Fourth goal, McDavid could have closed in faster, but again goalie can't play that that way. Not sure what Campbell was doing, but it was ineffective. Some scrambly play just ahead of that for sure. The fifth - the team is running around and there's a bunch of guys who don't seem to be where they should be. Ceci is in no man's land 15 feet away from the defenceman shooting the puck. Nurse doing a poor job with his guy in front. The third line guys are on the ice and they're not in shooting lanes or anywhere that's helpful.

I didn't see the first goal so can't really diagnose that one.

That said, it is notable that the top guys on this team aren't much better on +/-. They should be eating teams up at even strength and have in the past...so what's happening? I think some of it is still systems play. We want to stretch pass out of our zone all the time and we have the players racing up...it's a little too aggressive, especially since we have all of one defenceman who might be able to make that pass with any regularity. It would be good to see a little more two-way commitment from everyone in the top six.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818320 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Which D-man do you project to be Better?[ 22 vote(s) ]
1.Broberg 12 / 55%
2.Bouchard 10 / 45%

Which D-man do project to be better ?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818333 is a reply to message #818320 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 17:33

Which D-man do project to be better ?

I really liked Broberg today so I’m picking him. His skating and positioning is improving by leaps and bounds. I can see him potentially on the 1st or 2nd pair a few years down the road.

Bouchard seems like he tops out at 2nd or 3rd pair, with a decent shot and some PP. Decent but I don’t see him out skating or out positioning top level forwards.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818325 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Who does it better?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpW_0UjaEAAtYLv?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-FcIKYXsAEt80f?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818327 is a reply to message #818325 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

I usualy just farmer blow it into my bottom lip. Like a free flu shot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818328 is a reply to message #818325 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 19:05

Who does it better?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpW_0UjaEAAtYLv?format=jpg&name=tiny

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-FcIKYXsAEt80f?format=jpg&name=tiny

Different objectives.. JP picking out liquids.. Janmark digging for solids..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818330 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Some random thoughts;

- McDavids worst game in a very long time. I am pretty sure the Avs got a decent chance almost every time he was on the ice. Maybe has the flu? I will give him a pass given he is allowed an off day once and a while
- same with Hyman
- I thought Drai was better than he has been for a while, hopefully trending up?
- Ceci was not good and hasn't been for a long stretch of games.
- Campbell- yikes
- Broberg's growth is promising. I am interested to see what happens when he gets more challenging matchups.
- Same with Bouchard.
- I really hope that neither of them are traded in the next couple weeks.
- Yamo has been mostly invisible since coming back.
- Accepting that JP is a valid bottom sixer is good for him and the fans. He is very good in that role and was decent today, better than most of the team.
- Nurse had a couple mistakes but he is carrying the blue line. Others can have good games but he is is still trusted with pretty much all of the tough minutes. I know he is a favorite whipping boy but man this team would be screwed without him.

Crap result but a pretty fun game.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818334 is a reply to message #818330 ]
Sun, 19 February 2023 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 21:04

Some random thoughts;

- McDavids worst game in a very long time. I am pretty sure the Avs got a decent chance almost every time he was on the ice. Maybe has the flu? I will give him a pass given he is allowed an off day once and a while
- same with Hyman
- I thought Drai was better than he has been for a while, hopefully trending up?
- Campbell- yikes
- Broberg's growth is promising. I am interested to see what happens when he gets more challenging matchups.
- Same with Bouchard.
- Accepting that JP is a valid bottom sixer is good for him and the fans. He is very good in that role and was decent today, better than most of the team.
- Nurse had a couple mistakes but he is carrying the blue line. Others can have good games but he is is still trusted with pretty much all of the tough minutes. I know he is a favorite whipping boy but man this team would be screwed without him.

I’ve liked Nurse’s game more as of late. Doing a better job not wandering around out of position, making calmer decisions. But he’s still the guy getting played in the most dangerous situations and is going to get burned as a result. In his defence, we don’t have anyone on the roster currently that could step into that roster spot and minutes and do better.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818341 is a reply to message #818334 ]
Mon, 20 February 2023 11:31 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Mon, 20 February 2023 00:56

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 19 February 2023 21:04

Some random thoughts;

- same with Hyman
- Campbell- yikes
- Same with Bouchard.

I’ve liked Nurse’s game more as of late. Doing a better job not wandering around out of position, making calmer decisions. But he’s still the guy getting played in the most dangerous situations and is going to get burned as a result. In his defence, we don’t have anyone on the roster currently that could step into that roster spot and minutes and do better.

Agreed. His contract isn't his fault and I find that most people that call him terrible are focused on him being overpaid. He is the teams best D and it isn't close, without him the team would be proper screwed. Nurse is one of those guys that is pretty good at lots of things but most of those things are prone to mistakes.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57) [message #818335 is a reply to message #818271 ]
Mon, 20 February 2023 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Crazy that the ‘wishlist’ to fill holes on this team has been essentially the same for over a decade.

A goalie that can stop a puck
A Centre who can win defensive zone draws
A steady defensive defender
A dman who can complete a breakout pass
A top 6 RW (actually need two of these… unless Hyman is filling one)
A roster of players that GAF

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Previous Topic:Holloway out 1 month
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #57)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca