This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816542]
Wed, 11 January 2023 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Anaheim to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816543 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Wed, 11 January 2023 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

125 - 189 - 50 .412 win % (Eakins)

Has there ever been a worse coach with this much experience? 6 NHL seasons and not a sniff of .500 in any one season.

All points are big from here on out. Much needed win!

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2023 15:11]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816546 is a reply to message #816543 ]
Wed, 11 January 2023 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...too bad its so hard to judge if this is a breakout game for the OIL or not. It was against the DUCKS; a team that has already beaten the OIL.
Kostin with another 2... good sign because he's done it before. Recently.

To me with his skill (small sample, yes) and toughness, he is the exactly why Kane is a perfect match to play with 97. It would be nice to have two of those guys on this team.

icon_nod

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816557 is a reply to message #816546 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

watchman wrote on Wed, 11 January 2023 22:50

...too bad its so hard to judge if this is a breakout game for the OIL or not. It was against the DUCKS; a team that has already beaten the OIL.
Kostin with another 2... good sign because he's done it before. Recently.

To me with his skill (small sample, yes) and toughness, he is the exactly why Kane is a perfect match to play with 97. It would be nice to have two of those guys on this team.

icon_nod

It's not a breakout. The points taken from the Ducks count, but the lessons don't.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816547 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Wed, 11 January 2023 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Wow, I didn't expect drama at the end but it was interesting to watch to see if Soupy could post a sv% that improved his season number!

Anaheim is a terrible hockey team. This is the way this game should go. It points to how how bad they were when Anaheim thumped them 2-3 weeks ago.

I liked Holloway on the 1st line, the kid is going to be a really good Oiler one day I think. I liked the 3rd line, this combination has played very well pretty much every game they've been together. Connor scores one of his nicer goals...not a big deal.

Kostin solidifying himself as an Oiler, kind of like a poor man's Evander Kane so far. Knows what he has to do, it appears, to be valued, and he's not a one trick pony.

Desharnais played exactly like he should in his 1st NHL game. Knows his limitations, no panic, looked pretty good positionally, made some big cycle stuffs on the wall in his zone, and rare for an Oiler dman, denied a zone entry or two.

Sime warm & fuzzies for sure, but nothing otherwise to read into this game other than they beat a team they should beat soundly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816548 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Eakins is wonderfully terrible. Keep him forever Ducks.

Badly needed this win, and need to start stringing more together. Remaining games record needed to be sure we make the playoffs is pushing 10 games over .500 now.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816549 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Good game by Kostin.. kid knows how to put the puck in the net.. and stands up for himself, and his team mates.. great to see Holloway get a ride with Mcd.. did well.. improving every game.. great snipe!
Desharnais stayed out of trouble, greased out some guys.. did OK overall.. not the toughest test, but so far so good..

Defensemen still struggle in their own zone, miss open men.. can't retrieve, and move pucks.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816551 is a reply to message #816549 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Awesome win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816553 is a reply to message #816551 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Nice to get back in the W column, but not getting too excited until we can string a few together. Plus Anaheim is AWFUL. Even worse than Joanette was last night , and that was really bad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816554 is a reply to message #816553 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Must win game so I am glad they came out and played with urgency.

Desharnais looked good. Granted it was against a weaker team but he looked poised. If he could develop into a bigger bodied, shut down defender that kills penalties, that would be great.

I liked seeing Holloway bumped up. Give the kid a chance. He buried that McD set up so that should help.

Good game by Campbell. Made some big saves. Supposedly he changed gear. He's given up 2 or less in the last 5 times he's been and look maybe like his game is coming around. I hope that is the case, they need him.

Another solid game by Kostin. He continues to play well no matter where he plays. No excuses on what line he is on, how much ice he gets, his role, what the coaches ask him to do. He just goes out there plays hard, uses his body and buries chances when he gets it. He's exactly the player that JP should be able to be but refuses to.

They need to carry this effort to San Jose.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816558 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm not planning the parade. Good for the win, but there is a long road ahead.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816564 is a reply to message #816542 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Good thing Anaheim didn't start their backup for this one....

If the goal is to tank, then Eakins is a perfect coaching candidate....esp in a strong upcoming draft class.....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816573 is a reply to message #816564 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 09:50

If the goal is to tank, then Eakins is a perfect coaching candidate....esp in a strong upcoming draft class.....

Yeah, I was thinking about that list of terrible coaches yesterday. Most of the longer tenured ones (like Bowness, for example) have had SOME good seasons that might make a team believe there's something there, or they only had one stint. Many of the shorter tenured ones got just over 200 games (so 2.5-3 seasons) with an expansion team or otherwise dreadful team, and never worked again.

Eakins is unique in that he's never had an expansion team, always had some star players, and yet has never had a single winning season, even though he's coaching in the Bettman era, when every year, 70% of the teams are above .500. He's incredibly bad.

He's still got some big boosters in the Toronto media from his time with the Marlies - he definitely cultivated some relationships that he's really relied on - but it's been pretty amazing he's got four seasons in Anaheim. Haven't heard any noise about firing him either...the Ducks probably don't want to hurt their chances for Bedard!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816574 is a reply to message #816573 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 11:57

Yeah, I was thinking about that list of terrible coaches yesterday. Most of the longer tenured ones (like Bowness, for example) have had SOME good seasons that might make a team believe there's something there, or they only had one stint. Many of the shorter tenured ones got just over 200 games (so 2.5-3 seasons) with an expansion team or otherwise dreadful team, and never worked again.

Eakins is unique in that he's never had an expansion team, always had some star players, and yet has never had a single winning season, even though he's coaching in the Bettman era, when every year, 70% of the teams are above .500. He's incredibly bad.

He's still got some big boosters in the Toronto media from his time with the Marlies - he definitely cultivated some relationships that he's really relied on - but it's been pretty amazing he's got four seasons in Anaheim. Haven't heard any noise about firing him either...the Ducks probably don't want to hurt their chances for Bedard!

The Ducks picked up an option to have him coach this year too. I think I read somewhere that Verbeek knew the team was going to be bad this year and didn't want to waste the coaching bullet on a hopeless season. And who better to coach a hopeless team than Mr. Hopeless himself? I'd bet they're just saving money and waiting for the guy Verbeek wants to become available.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816575 is a reply to message #816574 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 12:06

The Ducks picked up an option to have him coach this year too. I think I read somewhere that Verbeek knew the team was going to be bad this year and didn't want to waste the coaching bullet on a hopeless season. And who better to coach a hopeless team than Mr. Hopeless himself? I'd bet they're just saving money and waiting for the guy Verbeek wants to become available.

He makes his teams worse - so while it's probably really bad for development of their young players, he does improve lottery odds. If it's short-term, then maybe you can hope the next guy can get back the young guys after a year or two wandering in the wilderness. They'll all be so glad not to see Eakins and his whiteboard presentations, so maybe it'll help with buy-in? And in the meantime you add one more young star...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816577 is a reply to message #816575 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 12:12

He makes his teams worse - so while it's probably really bad for development of their young players, he does improve lottery odds. If it's short-term, then maybe you can hope the next guy can get back the young guys after a year or two wandering in the wilderness. They'll all be so glad not to see Eakins and his whiteboard presentations, so maybe it'll help with buy-in? And in the meantime you add one more young star...

Hey it worked for the Oilers!

I can't imagine that Eakins hasn't learned a few lessons in his six years of NHL coaching, but he was unbelievably stubborn here and the Ducks are so very bad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816578 is a reply to message #816577 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 13:02

I can't imagine that Eakins hasn't learned a few lessons in his six years of NHL coaching, but he was unbelievably stubborn here and the Ducks are so very bad.

They have loaded up. In the Dallas Eakins era, they've picked #6 overall (Jamie Drysdale), #3 (Mason McTavish) and #10 (Pavel Mintyukov) and they're currently sitting in 3rd last again this year. Drysdale is still only 20 and 113 games in to his NHL career. He had 32 points last year and just missed a spot on the league's All-Rookie team. He tore his labrum and has missed most of this year though. He'll be a big part of their blueline moving forward.

McTavish was a Team Canada hero last summer, and will have a shot at being on the All-Rookie team this year with 26 points in 42 games so far (second among all freshmen currently).

Mintyukov is another defenceman and has put up 55 points in 38 OHL games this year. He was just part of one of those wacky junior hockey blockbusters, being dealt for three 2nd round picks, four 3rd round picks and two 4th round picks.

And Connor Bedard???

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2023 13:37]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816581 is a reply to message #816578 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 13:32

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 13:02

They have loaded up. In the Dallas Eakins era, they've picked #6 overall (Jamie Drysdale), #3 (Mason McTavish) and #10 (Pavel Mintyukov) and they're currently sitting in 3rd last again this year. Drysdale is still only 20 and 113 games in to his NHL career. He had 32 points last year and just missed a spot on the league's All-Rookie team. He tore his labrum and has missed most of this year though. He'll be a big part of their blueline moving forward.

McTavish was a Team Canada hero last summer, and will have a shot at being on the All-Rookie team this year with 26 points in 42 games so far (second among all freshmen currently).

Mintyukov is another defenceman and has put up 55 points in 38 OHL games this year. He was just part of one of those wacky junior hockey blockbusters, being dealt for three 2nd round picks, four 3rd round picks and two 4th round picks.

And Connor Bedard???

Dallas even has a great goalie but the team keeps running him into the ground leaving him out to dry and he keeps breaking. Thanks Dallas!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816586 is a reply to message #816581 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

All great goalies get run into the ground at some point it seems

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816587 is a reply to message #816586 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 19:49

All great goalies get run into the ground at some point it seems

Time flies, Eakins is in his 4th year with Anaheim?! Started in 19/20

Gibsons sav% by year:

13/14 - 0.954
14/15 - 0.914
15/16 - 0.920
16/17 - 0.924
17/18 - 0.926
18/19 - 0.917
19/20 - 0.904
20/21 - 0.903
21/22 - 0.904
22/23 - 0.896

Oilers would have launched him into space long ago and, when he played good for another team, talked about how he would have never figured out how to be a good goalie again without being traded.

Ducks seem to just keep hoping Eakins figures it out.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816588 is a reply to message #816587 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

Could you imagine if, this past summer, we had brought in Gibson, paying a small fortune, including Skinner and a 1st!?!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816592 is a reply to message #816588 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 23:18 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 12 January 2023 20:39

Could you imagine if, this past summer, we had brought in Gibson, paying a small fortune, including Skinner and a 1st!?!

Would hate to give up Skinner. If there was any other way though, he'd probably play just fine here and we'd have 2 guys that can play like #1's. Gibson was able to hide a lot of weakness in that Ducks lineup for a long time. Just took Eakins making them do whatever the hell they are doing to finally break him. Skinner would be drowning there too and probably would end up on yet another team in short order.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #43) [message #816589 is a reply to message #816587 ]
Thu, 12 January 2023 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

They need to swarm faster and chop more water.

Previous Topic:Why it isn't McDavid's Fault
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca