This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815772]
Wed, 21 December 2022 22:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Dallas to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815778 is a reply to message #815772 ]
Wed, 21 December 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Colour me surprised.

So now that the team is getting healthy can we keep 97/29 on different lines?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815781 is a reply to message #815778 ]
Wed, 21 December 2022 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 21 December 2022 22:21

Colour me surprised.

Surprised? No kidding... First a loss to ARI and then a win over a division leader. I'm not sure anything can be assumed from this one. Let's see which team comes out vs the Nucks at home on Friday. icon_neutral

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815782 is a reply to message #815781 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

watchman wrote on Wed, 21 December 2022 22:46

Colour me surprised.

Surprised? No kidding... First a loss to ARI and then a win over a division leader. I'm not sure anything can be assumed from this one. Let's see which team comes out vs the Nucks at home on Friday. icon_neutral

If they play this well they will bootfeck the nucks....Please lord, let this be the season turning point...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815790 is a reply to message #815781 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

watchman wrote on Wed, 21 December 2022 23:46

Colour me surprised.

Regulation home loss to *Anaheim* but a win in Dallas....no logic to this...but I'll take it...esp being in attendance not sitting too far off from the Oilers fathers which were in a private suite to the left of me. Even shouted at Kane taking in the action alongside his father as he was nice enough to acknowledge me back.

The first two goals against were frustrating ones in transition but not Stu's fault. I can honestly only blame one goal against the Oilers being the 2nd one as both Kostin & Nurse were caught pinching....other two were just byproducts of a talented Stars team having a solid season.

Other game observations:
-Loved how Woody implemented Oilers big 3 centers on their own lines....while having #29/#97 on one line at the right times

-Everybody out skated & out worked the opponent for all 60 minutes...can't remember the last time this has happened

-Besides the 2nd goal given up, great efforts from both Kostin & Nurse...#25 at his best skates extremely well in all directions against big speedy forwards as we needed that performance from him

-A +4 from the the third D pairing? I'll take it

-Only showed up as having 1 assist on the scoresheet....but JP was also a beast last night working hard along the boards and skating well all game...definitely a huge impact

-Foegele has been a completely different player since implemented onto the PK during that Tampa game..scoring key goals, checking hard, and skating better

-I believe the Stars were 4-1 on their most recent east coast trip as the first home game after a long roadie can be tough....Oilers capitalized off of this with the late TV start and just wore the opposition off gradually over a 60 minute duration...once again color me surprised but happy to see it in person.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815791 is a reply to message #815790 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 09:32

watchman wrote on Wed, 21 December 2022 23:46

Colour me surprised.

Regulation home loss to *Anaheim* but a win in Dallas....no logic to this...but I'll take it...esp being in attendance not sitting too far off from the Oilers fathers which were in a private suite to the left of me. Even shouted at Kane taking in the action alongside his father as he was nice enough to acknowledge me back.

The first two goals against were frustrating ones in transition but not Stu's fault. I can honestly only blame one goal against the Oilers being the 2nd one as both Kostin & Nurse were caught pinching....other two were just byproducts of a talented Stars team having a solid season.

Other game observations:
-Loved how Woody implemented Oilers big 3 centers on their own lines....while having #29/#97 on one line at the right times

-Everybody out skated & out worked the opponent for all 60 minutes...can't remember the last time this has happened

-Besides the 2nd goal given up, great efforts from both Kostin & Nurse...#25 at his best skates extremely well in all directions against big speedy forwards as we needed that performance from him

-A +4 from the the third D pairing? I'll take it

-Only showed up as having 1 assist on the scoresheet....but JP was also a beast last night working hard along the boards and skating well all game...definitely a huge impact

-Foegele has been a completely different player since implemented onto the PK during that Tampa game..scoring key goals, checking hard, and skating better

-I believe the Stars were 4-1 on their most recent east coast trip as the first home game after a long roadie can be tough....Oilers capitalized off of this with the late TV start and just wore the opposition off gradually over a 60 minute duration...once again color me surprised but happy to see it in person.

As much as it can be fun to watch McD and Leon together, I have never liked it. You have the best player in the world and then another guy who is arguably a top 5 center in the world on your team. That is a massive advantage. Those 2 can elevate any player. So much like the Pens did with Malkin and Crosby in their primes, you should be splitting them up because a team usually has a top pairing with their best dmen on it, then the 2nd pairing is a step down. Same goes for the top line center compared to the second line center. Most teams there is a drop off from line 1 to 2.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815779 is a reply to message #815772 ]
Wed, 21 December 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

That was a quality win. Not many of those this year.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815780 is a reply to message #815779 ]
Wed, 21 December 2022 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 21 December 2022 22:21

That was a quality win. Not many of those this year.

Could that be considered a 60 minute performance? The first complete game of the year?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815785 is a reply to message #815772 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Someone here hypothesized that the Oil play up/down to their opposition.. starting to think the same thing.. BIG win over a historic rival.. icon_nod

Nuge finally starting to get through puberty.. playing like he was destined to play..
Kostin great contributor, uses his size, has skill, plays smart.
Janmark is also starting to prove he was a good signing, good PK, and plays solid 3rd line minutes.

That's a puck-smart line 👍🏻

The Foogler .. wow.. man that guy has improved his game so much since training camp.. must be putting in some solid work at practice .. what a rocket one-timer.. snipe! Like making a trade.. trade Foogle 1.0 and get Foogle 2.0

A very pleasant surprise!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815786 is a reply to message #815785 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Is it just me or does this team play different when Skinner is in net. Just way more confident it seems

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815787 is a reply to message #815772 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Impressive. Nuge is shocking this year. I wasn’t super impressed with Skinner last night, but score six and there’s room for imperfection.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815788 is a reply to message #815787 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Every dad on that trip is a hockey dad. So he took his boy to early practices and games. Maybe some helped them with drills on the ODR, maybe some even coached. So I am wondering if all the Oilers dad's had a little chat with their boys about their game after Nashville. Talked about a few things, talked about playing hard, going after the puck, skating hard, all that hockey dad conversations. icon_lol They seemed a little more inspired last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815789 is a reply to message #815787 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 07:30

Impressive. Nuge is shocking this year. I wasn’t super impressed with Skinner last night, but score six and there’s room for imperfection.

I know what happened with Nuge. His man strength finally kicked in!!

I'd love to know what he did differently or what has changed because this is the type of play I had hoped the Oilers were getting when they drafted him 11 years ago. During his whole Oilers career he's always been a good player but nothing close to this. He's a threat all the time. This is the type of play I expect to see from a guy who was taken #1. A difference maker on the majority of nights vs just being a solid all around player.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 December 2022 09:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815792 is a reply to message #815789 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 09:15

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 07:30

I know what happened with Nuge. His man strength finally kicked in!!

I'd love to know what he did differently or what has changed because this is the type of play I had hoped the Oilers were getting when they drafted him 11 years ago. During his whole Oilers career he's always been a good player but nothing close to this. He's a threat all the time. This is the type of play I expect to see from a guy who was taken #1. A difference maker on the majority of nights vs just being a solid all around player.

Yeah many have said RNH needed another year in Red Deer upon being drafted...why couldn't he do it in the lockout shortened season in 12-13 who knows.....though it is great to see guys like Hyman & Nuge being able to drive their own lines at ES if need be as well.

I was impressed with Skinner last night. Made some dangerous chances look rather routine thus decreasing my stress levels as everybody for the most part did their job....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815793 is a reply to message #815772 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Just saw Tyson Barrie has an 8 game assist streak, tying Paul Coffey for that obscure franchise record (for defenseman).

Quietly having a top 10 defense scoring season.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 December 2022 16:30]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815794 is a reply to message #815793 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I have thought Barrie has quietly had a great year. He's on pace for 67 pts. I think at least right now runs the PP a lot better than Bouchard. Defensively, he's never going to be elite but I think he's been fairly solid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815795 is a reply to message #815794 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 20:16

I have thought Barrie has quietly had a great year. He's on pace for 67 pts. I think at least right now runs the PP a lot better than Bouchard. Defensively, he's never going to be elite but I think he's been fairly solid.

Barrie has by far been our best D man!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815796 is a reply to message #815793 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 14:05

Just saw Tyson Barrie has an 8 game assist streak, tying Paul Coffey for that obscure franchise record.

If only mgt gave him 4 yrs as he requested instead of 3 in Summer 21....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815797 is a reply to message #815796 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 14:13

Just saw Tyson Barrie has an 8 game assist streak, tying Paul Coffey for that obscure franchise record.

Yeah, but Bouchard is coming.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815798 is a reply to message #815797 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 14:14

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 14:13

Yeah, but Bouchard is coming.

True but I am glad they have Barrie. Pretty clear Bouchard isn't ready yet to be the main offensive dman based on his season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815800 is a reply to message #815798 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 14:26

True but I am glad they have Barrie. Pretty clear Bouchard isn't ready yet to be the main offensive dman based on his season.

Given a couple things I've heard this year, I wouldn't be surprised if by the trade deadline Barrie is an Oiler and Bouchard isn't. Not saying I think that's the right choice but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of excitement in the corner offices about his progression.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815801 is a reply to message #815800 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 15:14

Given a couple things I've heard this year, I wouldn't be surprised if by the trade deadline Barrie is an Oiler and Bouchard isn't. Not saying I think that's the right choice but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of excitement in the corner offices about his progression.

#ThatsSoOilers

His progression from a full time press box sitter to being expected to be a top 4 defenseman and powerplay stalwart didn't go smoothly over two years with a coach change in the middle? Shocking.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815802 is a reply to message #815800 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 15:14

Stauffer is the mouth piece of the Oilers and he goes on and on about the greatness of Bouchard and what he will become. He's "bullish" on him. In my opinion, anything Stauffer says is information fed to him by the team to inform the fans but also prep them for something. Whether it be players he likes in trades or UFA's, when Bob just so happens to give his opinion on a player, the Oilers usually either get him or we find out there were heavily sniffing around him. When People were ragging on Bouchard and he got benched, Bob pretty quickly starting singing his praises.

Broberg on the other hand, he's talked about how he lost his job at camp. Talked about wanting to see what they had in him for a bit. All things I think are true. Same with JP. Last year, Stauffer talked about all the good things he did, how the team was patient and it looked to be paying off. Now it's about how he's underperformed, his contract, etc, etc. Not glowing things about him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815799 is a reply to message #815793 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 13:05

He led the league in defenceman scoring 2 years ago. Nobody cared. Everybody just kept dumping on him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815803 is a reply to message #815799 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I hope to god we smash Vancouver. I know a few cocky Canucks fans. Drives me nuts lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34) [message #815804 is a reply to message #815799 ]
Thu, 22 December 2022 22:55 Go to previous message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 15:26

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 22 December 2022 13:05

He led the league in defenceman scoring 2 years ago. Nobody cared. Everybody just kept dumping on him.

Yeah he got that 3 year 4.5 mil AAV as a bridge deal when perceived as a defensive liability...nobody could forecast the immediate future in this case where Tippett would be canned in favor of Woody who would subsequently bring the best out of his game on both ends of the ice. Pretty sure he'll command more money Summer 2024....in the meantime, let's hope Bouch keeps evolving too

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca