This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815674]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Nashville to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815676 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Blowing games against teams they need to beat.

This is a pretender team. Nashville ends a six game winless streak... and now Dallas. Dallas is going to destroy the Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815677 is a reply to message #815676 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

We aren’t doing anything. This team stinks. Frustrating

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815678 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I need a break from the Oilers. OT is stupid, but Campbell needs to save that. Time to see if he can even do it in Bakersfield.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815683 is a reply to message #815678 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Agreed. So do I.

This squad is equal parts disappointing and mystifying.

They should be a contender now, and they look like a joke.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815690 is a reply to message #815678 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 19 December 2022 20:37

I need a break from the Oilers. OT is stupid, but Campbell needs to save that. Time to see if he can even do it in Bakersfield.

Yup, I could see if the puck was roofed, but you can't have your glove right there and have that get by your glove. Soup was over .900 until that OT goal though and made some big saves when the Oilers were playing super passive in the 3rd.

I can't help think that a significant shakeup is coming and probably should come, I probably wouldn't blink too hard if some D prospects or even on or 2 that dress went, plus a couple wingers, plus picks. The big holes are on D, and they could use a winger.

If they can't manage bad and mediocre teams, I don't see much changing against a good team like Dallas. If Woodcroft is asking them to play differently given their glaring weaknesses, it's hard to see that materializing on the ice.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815679 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

Correct me if I am wrong... But that's 3 losses in a row now to below .500 teams? Good stuff.

This team is putrid.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815680 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

That was a lot of ugly hockey. Maybe ice was crap to help? But both teams looked like gangs of klutzes tonight. Yay for more Bettman points!

0 Drai points vs Nashville. He appeared to be testing how little effort he needed to put in to cancel out his dominance of the preds. Great success!!!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815691 is a reply to message #815680 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 December 2022 20:38

That was a lot of ugly hockey. Maybe ice was crap to help? But both teams looked like gangs of klutzes tonight. Yay for more Bettman points!

0 Drai points vs Nashville. He appeared to be testing how little effort he needed to put in to cancel out his dominance of the preds. Great success!!!

For the love of God make that guy center a line that doesn't have 97 on it, make that guy skate. Leon was a static giveaway machine again for most of his minutes tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815681 is a reply to message #815674 ]
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

IMHO the OIL couldn't outscore Campbell. The team at least got the loser point. They haven't done that very much (at all?) this year.

sigh icon_neutral

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815686 is a reply to message #815681 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Campbell wasn't the problem in this one really...

It sounded like (over the radio) that the Oil were leaking Grade A opportunities yet again.

This is another non-playoff Oilers team again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815689 is a reply to message #815686 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 19 December 2022 20:47

Campbell wasn't the problem in this one really...

It sounded like (over the radio) that the Oil were leaking Grade A opportunities yet again.

This is another non-playoff Oilers team again.

The Oilers could not break the Preds cycle for long stretches in the third. I thought they were lucky to force overtime.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815682 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Another 4 goal sub .900 performance by Campbell. That OT goal should be stopped. The 2nd goal by Gross was gross. Send him on a conditioning stint.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815685 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Not the best effort from #29.....

Getting a point is a blessing for how many scoring opportunities the Preds had.....with insane traffic in front of Campbell all night....

Let's get the traveling team fathers 2 points Wed night in Dallas as I'll be in attendance too

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815687 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This team as a whole relies too much on 2 players. The coach relies too much on 2 players. This team as a whole is NOT improving.

They will go off now and win 4 in a row and feel confident and fantastic about themselves. Then go 2-7-1.

It’s really gotten old. This team isn’t built good enough. Managed good enough. Or coached good enough. Third round? Not with this D and goaltending. What a bloody waste of talent.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815688 is a reply to message #815687 ]
Mon, 19 December 2022 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

We are going to lose the world's best hockey player, due to mismanagement.

It's going to be a sad day, but he deserves better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815692 is a reply to message #815674 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Seems to me the coach is being tuned out. He must be preaching this stuff till he is blue in the face but players are playing like they don't care. Starting to wonder if Woodcrofts magic is starting to wear off. Maybe we need a coach willing to be an arsehole and bench people instead of being their buddy all the time. Just my thoughts.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815697 is a reply to message #815692 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I shouldn't be surprised but I am with the Campbell hate here. People seriously think he should have stopped the OT winner?

An absolutely horrendous line change as 2 Oilers decide it's a great time to change as the Preds are firing the puck up the ice. What's worse is Yamo who was the pressure guy on the puck decides it's time to change them leisurely strolls to the bench. So they instantly created a 2 on 1 from the freaking center line. Then the goal scorer is allowed to walk in to the inside hash marks, pick his spot and rip it and people expect ANY goalie to stop that!! If an NHLer with all the time in the world can't beat a goalie from that spot 100 times out of 100, then he shouldn't be in the NHL. I thought Campbell was the main reason they got a point last night.

I thought Leon was awful last night.

I thought the Kulak and Barrie pairing was good but the other 2 were lousy. Bouchard was brutal again. His defensive awareness is beyond bad right now and the Niemo - Bouchard pairing was a nightmare. It seems it's a competition between Bouchard and Nurse to see who can have the worst give away.

They just continue to make 5 star mistakes that always end up in their net. The other teams don't have to generate a lot of offence on their own. All they have to do is sit back and wait for an Oiler to do something stupid and turn the puck over. Try for a cross ice pass that has to get through 2-3 defenders but if it connects, oohh baby!. Trying soft backhand passes with a defender right beside you. Firing it blindly up the wall, trying to deke though 2, 3, 4 guys on line changes. If there is a stupid low percentage, high danger play to be done vs doing the boring, safe, won't make a highlight reel play, the Oilers will default to the high danger play every time.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2022 08:40]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815701 is a reply to message #815697 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 December 2022 08:35

I shouldn't be surprised but I am with the Campbell hate here. People seriously think he should have stopped the OT winner?

An absolutely horrendous line change as 2 Oilers decide it's a great time to change as the Preds are firing the puck up the ice. What's worse is Yamo who was the pressure guy on the puck decides it's time to change them leisurely strolls to the bench. So they instantly created a 2 on 1 from the freaking center line. Then the goal scorer is allowed to walk in to the inside hash marks, pick his spot and rip it and people expect ANY goalie to stop that!! If an NHLer with all the time in the world can't beat a goalie from that spot 100 times out of 100, then he shouldn't be in the NHL. I thought Campbell was the main reason they got a point last night.

I thought the Kulak and Barrie pairing was good but the other 2 were lousy. Bouchard was brutal again. His defensive awareness is beyond bad right now and the Niemo - Bouchard pairing was a nightmare. It seems it's a competition between Bouchard and Nurse to see who can have the worst give away.

They just continue to make 5 star mistakes that always end up in their net. The other teams don't have to generate a lot of offence on their own. All they have to do is sit back and wait for an Oiler to do something stupid and turn the puck over. Try for a cross ice pass that has to get through 2-3 defenders but if it connects, oohh baby!. Trying soft backhand passes with a defender right beside you. Firing it blindly up the wall, trying to deke though 2, 3, 4 guys on line changes. If there is a stupid low percentage, high danger play to be done vs doing the boring, safe, won't make a highlight reel play, the Oilers will default to the high danger play every time.

I never know what to think anymore with Campbell. He's got that low confidence shrunken crouched over butterfly where he makes his 6'3 frame look like he's 5'2, so shooters might be seeing lots of room up high all the time on him. Seen many Oilers goalies play like he is now. Wish I had confidence this org had a goalie coach that could help him get out of it, but I think it's 100% on him to figure it out. The skaters in front of him sure as hell won't be helping either.

Better game from him regardless. That was such sloppy hockey, from both teams. We get smoked by most teams in this league if we played that same quality game against them.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2022 09:28]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815704 is a reply to message #815697 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Yeah on that last play Yams could have kept on the last guy back to allow the Nuge change and maybe thwart the stretch pass off the boards, Nuge maybe doesn't change and stays with that other guy guy, and Carrier tried his best to hit Campbell's glove but missed. OT is usually won on an error and there were 3 on that sequence. I wish Campbell's glove was hit with the puck, but mid-low glove seems to be the place to shoot, among other places.

Nurse got away with a huge giveaway in the 3rd.

Leon doesn't move around much with the puck when Connor's on the ice, that should be clear to anyone. If Leon is on the RH boards down to the corner and static, if you focus on him defensively sometimes a pass gets through but most times the play dies and you get the puck back. Make Leon the main guy on his own line and make him move more.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815705 is a reply to message #815704 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Just have to beat Dallas now

No problem…

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815709 is a reply to message #815704 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think the Oil need to make a more balanced lineup from line 1 to 4 and spread out the minutes. If Leon's hurt or tired, he needs to play less. By all means, load up our PP, but we need to be more effective from top to bottom.

If other teams are able to effectively counter our top line, as they appear to be since we suck 5v5, our 3rd and 4th need to be able to outscore theirs.
I've long beleived you're better served by essentially creating 3 versions of line 2 and 1 version of line 3 instead of 1,2,3 and 4.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815722 is a reply to message #815709 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 20 December 2022 11:28

I think the Oil need to make a more balanced lineup from line 1 to 4 and spread out the minutes. If Leon's hurt or tired, he needs to play less. By all means, load up our PP, but we need to be more effective from top to bottom.

If other teams are able to effectively counter our top line, as they appear to be since we suck 5v5, our 3rd and 4th need to be able to outscore theirs.
I've long beleived you're better served by essentially creating 3 versions of line 2 and 1 version of line 3 instead of 1,2,3 and 4.

Certainly, this is how the Penguins rolled with Crosby & Malkin for all those years. They didn't play together, and they forced other teams to contend with two superstars on their own. On powerplays they team up, and every so often after an icing they jump on to the ice together to chew up a tired line.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815723 is a reply to message #815709 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 20 December 2022 11:28

I agree. While I see the appeal of McD and Leon being on the same line because they can do some fantastic things, if you are going to load them up, they have to score every game. They have to immediately tilt the ice and dominate when they are out there and they can't be poor defensively. They can't be getting hemmed in their own zone like they do and they can't give up as many goals as they do. Even when they are full strength, you have already diluted your lines with them together, when they give up goals against, it makes it even worse.

I would have these lines next game.

Foegele - McD - Hyman - Hyman and McD work well together. Foegele is there to drive the net, screen goalies, forecheck hard.

Holloway - Leon - Yamo - Leon likes playing with Yamo. Holloway provides speed for Leon especially if he is not 100% physically.

Janmark - Nuge - JP - This line should be OK defensively and in theory they should have more talent than most other teams lines in Nuge and JP. Plus without McLeod, they really need a 3rd line center that they trust so they can play the 3rd line more rather than playing the crap out of the top 6.

Kostin - Shore/Ryan - Shore/Ryan - I have Shore and Ryan split center duties taking faceoffs on their strong side.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815758 is a reply to message #815723 ]
Wed, 21 December 2022 20:23 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Another perk to balancing out the lines, when you eventually do power upto mcd/drai, the other team will likely not have a loaded up line against them. More likely they tilt the ice when they get out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815711 is a reply to message #815704 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 December 2022 10:17

Yeah on that last play Yams could have kept on the last guy back to allow the Nuge change and maybe thwart the stretch pass off the boards, Nuge maybe doesn't change and stays with that other guy guy, and Carrier tried his best to hit Campbell's glove but missed. OT is usually won on an error and there were 3 on that sequence. I wish Campbell's glove was hit with the puck, but mid-low glove seems to be the place to shoot, among other places.

Nurse got away with a huge giveaway in the 3rd.

Leon doesn't move around much with the puck when Connor's on the ice, that should be clear to anyone. If Leon is on the RH boards down to the corner and static, if you focus on him defensively sometimes a pass gets through but most times the play dies and you get the puck back. Make Leon the main guy on his own line and make him move more.

For me, when an NHLer is able to shoot from where Carrier was with no one even hurrying him in the slightest, that should be an automatic goal. The only way the goalie saves it is if he missed his shot. He went right inside the far post.

The mental mistakes this team does especially by vet players makes me want to pull my hair out. I can excuse Yamo changing a bit because he was down in the far end, the Preds guy behind the net so that guy was out of the play but Nuge's change, inexcusable. 3 on 3 OT is all about creating 2 on 1's. Nuge gave the Preds an easy 2 on 1 by choice.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815730 is a reply to message #815711 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

And yet a guy shooting from the circle is not an automatic goal, and my guess is the success rate might be less than half given posts and missing nets. There were 2 failures on that change leading up, but that ain't a guaranteed goal, especially given where it went in.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #33) [message #815731 is a reply to message #815730 ]
Tue, 20 December 2022 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Knowing this team they will somehow beat dallas

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #34)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca