This day on May 4
None

Happy Birthday To: Devan Dubnyk, Copperhead, hornblower, evaoilplc

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813887]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Carolina to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813888 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://www.iheartradio.ca/image/policy:1.15118078:1620041517/MIKE.PNG?f=default&$p$f=682cfd7
Need battle?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813889 is a reply to message #813888 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

I wonder what Kosk is doing should call him up

Campbell is not the answer.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813899 is a reply to message #813888 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 18:32

https://www.iheartradio.ca/image/policy:1.15118078:1620041517/MIKE.PNG?f=default&$p$f=682cfd7
Need battle?

Stu + Soup > Smith + Kosk

We're losing the game well away from the net. Lazy turn overs and not picking up opposing players.

We're probably missing Keith alot more than Smith.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813901 is a reply to message #813899 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Stu > Smitty + Kosktko

Stu + Soup <<< Smitty + Kosktko

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813890 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Sometimes an embarrassing loss sparks change.
Personnel wise.
- replace Barrie. I dont care how or with who. He is my new Russell. I dont care what positives he brings, every game with him on the ice he is a net negative.
- send Holloway to the AHL. I think he is trending up but needs to find his touch and confidence
- Sit JP for a few games. Even I am running out of patience. -
- sit Kulak, he has been awful.
- Start Skinner for every game except 1/2 on back to backs until he gives you reason not to.

Strategically.
- Spend all of every practice on defensive coverage and the PK.
- stress to every player that standing in one spot, turning like a table hockey player, is not good defence.
- simplify breakouts. Get it out and go from them there. I dont care if it is more boring, the puck needs to get out first try, every time. At least once per period they seem to spend extended sections in their own end.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813892 is a reply to message #813890 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Darn it. Almost had an .800 save %. Just had to have that last one.

Under .900 in 4 of his last 5 starts. boom

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813895 is a reply to message #813892 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Fri, 11 November 2022 02:44

Darn it. Almost had an .800 save %. Just had to have that last one.

Under .900 in 4 of his last 5 starts. boom

That is cringe worthy lol. I know the defense isn’t good but….. Campbell is not helping.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813894 is a reply to message #813890 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 11 November 2022 02:39

Personnel wise.
- replace Barrie. I dont care how or with who. He is my new Russell. I dont care what positives he brings, every game with him on the ice he is a net negative.
- send Holloway to the AHL. I think he is trending up but needs to find his touch and confidence
- Start Skinner for every game except 1/2 on back to backs until he gives you reason not to.

Strategically.
- stress to every player that standing in one spot, turning like a table hockey player, is not good defence.
- simplify breakouts. Get it out and go from them there. I dont care if it is more boring, the puck needs to get out first try, every time. At least once per period they seem to spend extended sections in their own end.

Well said. Barrie has been horrible especially. He will never get it together. Defense and goaltending needs to improve. Bottom line or we won’t do anything

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813916 is a reply to message #813894 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 19:58

Personnel wise.

Strategically.

Well said. Barrie has been horrible especially. He will never get it together. Defense and goaltending needs to improve. Bottom line or we won’t do anything

I actually think Barrie has been our best defenceman as of late.

Who has been better? Not Nurse. Not Kulak. Definitely hasn’t been Ceci.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813918 is a reply to message #813916 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Fri, 11 November 2022 07:56

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 19:58

Personnel wise.

Strategically.

I actually think Barrie has been our best defenceman as of late.

Who has been better? Not Nurse. Not Kulak. Definitely hasn’t been Ceci.

While not perfect I think Bouchard has been our best overall defenceman taking the whole season into consideration.
Yes, he still has some bad decision making but he seems to have less massive errors that lead to goals.

As far as Barrie, I am just not seeing it. His defensive awareness seems to be getting worse. At least once a period he gives up a grade A chance standing in place looking around. Once per game, minimum, a goal is scored while he does it.
I am pretty convinced the offence he brings on the PP could be replaced by Bouchard and perhaps even Nurse. He isn't the QB, the main shooting threat or anything else. He does a good job at moving the puck when a switch of sides is needed and occasionally takes a shot when the cross seam is covered well. Many players can handle that type of play when running a 1-3-1 bumper PP.

I havent looked at any of the fancy stats in a while but I am guessing most would show that Barrie is both failing the eye test (to me) and the statistical test.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813896 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Gross, glad I was working late and missed this one.

Sorry, but 8-7 after 15 games isn't where this team should be.

Campbell, was he as bad as a sub .800 SV% would indicate? I expected slightly above avg. goaltending, not what has to be bottom of the league through 10 starts. I'd seriously look at pulling the plug on Schwartz, there's too much at stake here to feck around and be a bubble team. Hire someone to make Campbell better, hire a head doctor too. Seriously have to look at more games for Skinner, you would think.

Being down a top 6 winger isn't a good spot right now because they should be looking at getting some help on the back end, which might include trading a young winger with a ~$3mil contract. Now with Kane gone for 4 mo. potentially, it is a tough spot, because none of JP, KY, Foegele, or Holloway has provided consistency or any production other than a game or two. KY looks to me to be winning the race to be traded away, and Foegele and JP are in a tie for 2nd. Wish someone would step up, they actually need 2 to step up and assert themselves in the top 6.

Svechnikov notably looks all world against the Oil but is a ppg guy otherwise. Lol.

Could be .500 after Fla. Not good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813897 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Yikes. Should be rotating goalies every game until one guy can put together at least 4 solid games in a row on their turn. Something in the water right now.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813898 is a reply to message #813897 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Agreed. Something needs to be done…… the offense in my opinion isn’t the problem. Yes losing Kane is a massive blow, but I still feel Holloway is right there. Once that first goal goes in, more will follow. I think we are third right now offensively….. games like this will happen where we only put up a couple goals. Heaven forbid we have our goalie JUST ONCE bail us out. Campbell wasn’t the sole reason for the loss tonight, but he certainly didn’t give us much of a chance to win.

I’m not sure the logic behind starting Campbell again…. I guess because he had a good start against Tampa, you ride the hot hand…. However Skinner has really only had one low quality start this year. Let him rebound and play….

Regardless, at the end of the day. As it stands right now Campbell is not the answer in net….. he isn’t giving us much of a chance to win some of these games against the top teams. We are barely above .500 and have 8 games in a 10 game stretch all against playoff teams. We need to figure this out fast. Losing the way we did to Dallas, and now this…. Disgusting effort from a potential cup contending team.

Hopefully we can right this ship.

Night folks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813902 is a reply to message #813898 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I wouldn't start Campbell again until Stu literally can't play anymore games in a row. Jack is not an NHL-calibre goalie right now... not even close.

The team is bad right now. Real bad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813911 is a reply to message #813902 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 20:52

I wouldn't start Campbell again until Stu literally can't play anymore games in a row. Jack is not an NHL-calibre goalie right now... not even close.

Stu has been trending down since his hot start. Goaltending is a problem, but it isn't THE problem.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813912 is a reply to message #813911 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 23:16

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 20:52

Stu has been trending down since his hot start. Goaltending is a problem, but it isn't THE problem.

IMHO its principally defense.. both defending.. and moving up the puck to the forwards..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813905 is a reply to message #813897 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2022 20:04

Yikes. Should be rotating goalies every game until one guy can put together at least 4 solid games in a row on their turn. Something in the water right now.

Maybe a game like that is just what the doctor ordered. Can't say they were so close, can't blame luck or refs. They sucked and they got their lunches fed to them. And yes, the goaltending was bad, but it wasn't like there was a lot else we had going for us tonight either. The team just was awful.

Forget about that one and focus on the next.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813900 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Thu, 10 November 2022 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Defense is brutal.

None of them were adequate.
Bouchard moonlighting in his roll as a Domino's delivery guy.
How many times do you see a Oiler D-man standing in place looking up ice with a confused look on his face, way too static, good team's d-men are always moving the puck.. and their feet.. opens up the ice for the forwards..

McD has to do absolutely everything, at both ends of the ice, can't even count on his D to get the puck up, he has to come down to the corners and get it himself.. then skate it up end to end to get it into the offensive zone.. Forwards RNH, McD, LD, Hyman only threats to score.. rest just club the puck square.

JP has been displaying zero puck sense, centering pucks to nobody.. lost possession.. rinse / repeat

Then there is Campbell letting in another long distance puck.. how do you do make yourself so small in your net that can go in..

Bad game.

.. rant over.. feel better :)

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2022 21:17]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813914 is a reply to message #813900 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 11 November 2022 03:42

Defense is brutal.

None of them were adequate.
Bouchard moonlighting in his roll as a Domino's delivery guy.
How many times do you see a Oiler D-man standing in place looking up ice with a confused look on his face, way too static, good team's d-men are always moving the puck.. and their feet.. opens up the ice for the forwards..

McD has to do absolutely everything, at both ends of the ice, can't even count on his D to get the puck up, he has to come down to the corners and get it himself.. then skate it up end to end to get it into the offensive zone.. Forwards RNH, McD, LD, Hyman only threats to score.. rest just club the puck square.

JP has been displaying zero puck sense, centering pucks to nobody.. lost possession.. rinse / repeat

Then there is Campbell letting in another long distance puck.. how do you do make yourself so small in your net that can go in..

Bad game.

.. rant over.. feel better :)

Holloway is very close. I have a feeling once he gets his first goal, he will be on fire and a great player to have. Offensively I am not worried about this team at all. They are extremely skilled and have 2 extremely dangerous lines. BUT like you said, until the defense gets it together and we get better goaltending it’s going to be hard to compete for anything more than a wildcard position.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813917 is a reply to message #813914 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hopefully Skinner gets the majority of starts going forward

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813920 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Campbell played a great first period…I’d even give him 30 minutes before the glove hand emerged and the rest followed into the deep hole of dung.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813923 is a reply to message #813887 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

-I can't really blame everything on Campbell though letting in two goals at the end of each 1st & 2nd periods were rough...those careless turnovers resulting in grade a opportunities didn't help too much either.

-Good to see Foegele drive the net, lay some more hits, and just develop more of a tactical edge along the boards (only positive of this game)

-Canes are an awkward team in that they can either lay a complete egg or be world beaters hemming opponents in their own zone; playoff series against the Rags/Bruins last year proved as such. Unfortunately, we got the world beater version last night as the Canes have been a very dominant home team going back to last season.

-Speaking of which, I had a bad feeling about this game seeing how the Canes basically laid an egg against the Panthers previous night. Forget the 2nd half of a back to back as I KNEW they'd show up at home.

-I've never seen a delay of game penalty where a player was sent to the box off a deflected puck without ever having fully possessed it? Having to kill off a bad call is one thing but terrible reffing forced the Oilers to successfully kill off the initial 5-3 situation only to result in a 5-4 Canes goal immediately afterwards which changed the complexion of this game.

-There's a variety of reasons as to why the Oilers lost this game...underperformed, untimely goaltending at times, bad reffing, excess turnovers, and bad defence...don't think it's time to overreact on just one aspect of the game (in this case goaltending). For a multitude of reasons, the game should've never been 4-2 with 12 minutes left in the third period....

-Oilers curse against back up goalies went into effect yet again last night.

-Yet another day game against the Panthers seems problematic...but at least the Panthers can ice either of their starting goalies opposed to a definitive backup?

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2022 11:47]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15) [message #813929 is a reply to message #813923 ]
Fri, 11 November 2022 14:23 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Agreed. Behind this defense. Not sure any goalie will do well

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Carolina (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca