This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813569]
Mon, 07 November 2022 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Washington to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813574 is a reply to message #813569 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

4 power play goals against? lol

Can we hire Tippett as an assistant coach? THis team has been a disaster at some aspect of special teams consistently since he was fired.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813575 is a reply to message #813569 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Chicken Little's are running around again. It's been awhile.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813577 is a reply to message #813575 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Give us all a reason as to why we should expect things to be different. We have league worst goal tending, leage worst d core, and league worst wingers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813578 is a reply to message #813569 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Worst game I've seen in awhile despite some players trying to come back. So many things here:
>Oilers arrive late.
>Oilers turn over pucks where chances against are nearly immediate.
>Oilers lose players in the d zone.
>Despite a couple weak calls against, Oilers take some dumb penalties and don't really earn much for calls by hard work.
>Oilers allow a staggering 4 PPG against. Heres the difference that might have been been made had they only been bad on the kill and not terrible.

What a disappointing turn the young season appears to be taking again. It's entirely possible to end this road trip under .500 if they play this poorly, especially in terms of discipline and the PK.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813579 is a reply to message #813578 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

Dont forget…Warren Foegele was absolutely horrific. Which is only slightly worse than his normal of “disastrous”

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813580 is a reply to message #813569 ]
Mon, 07 November 2022 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Oh look, this team hasn't learned jack all. Same old Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813583 is a reply to message #813580 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Wasn’t a great game, but at ES we outscored them 4-1. But a 20% PK effort? Wow - no bueno. We’re now 30th place on the PK with 67.9%. Won’t get very far if that doesn’t get cleaned up.

On the plus side, McDavid is good at hockey. And I’m loving the physical JP! If the choice has to be him or Yamamoto, it’s an easy choice for me.

Unfortunately Skinner’s heater seems to be a thing of the past. Like a lot of Campbell’s starts, not many “bad” goals, but not many bail outs either.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813584 is a reply to message #813583 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Tough to win when you give up 4 PP goals. I do think the PP's were pretty onesided 5-1, but regardless they can't kill anything.

What's Kris Russell doing? I think he was usually good at the PK. I am grasping at straws here I know but my god who ever they are using on it sucks.

Need something from the 3 mill trio!
- JP looked not bad early, got 3 shots but faded. The panel talk about why he has struggled, then point out some things. One example, McD behind the goal looking to pass to someone, JP is standing in the corner watching him. GO TO THE NET! You are 6'4, over 200 lbs. I am not expecting JP to battle like Hyman, not many players do but Hyman goes to the net constantly and good things happen. Leon's goal happened because he went to the net, created chaos, puck came to him. You don't have to be a nasty SOB JP, but you are big, have a long reach. Just GO TO THE NET, good things will happen. It's OK, you might take the odd shot but that's what equipment is for.

Yamo. What the hell is wrong with you? You play 11 games with one of McD or Leon and you don't have a single goal. They stick up for you, they praise you and you have nothing! You can't handle the puck anymore, you can't make simple plays, you don't shoot, whatever defensive awareness seems to be gone and you take stupid, untimely penalties. Your coach who has your back, had to do something, so he drops you to the 4th line I assume a a wake up call. How do you respond? No shots on goal, no offensive chances, took a offensive penalty and was so bad, his coach stopped playing him.

Foegele still shooting blanks and hasn't score I goal I think in like 30 something games if you count the playoffs from what I read. The give away was awful but when I watched the panel break the goal down, ALL the Oilers flew the zone including the freaking defense so he had no one to pass too. Now I know now days chipping it off the glass and out is a no no in the puck moving, make a play no matter what era but he should have at that point banged it off the boards and out instead of trying to deke out a guy.

I am not the type that likes to just trade guys for next to nothing but I am getting to the point where something has to happen between these 3 just to get rid of salary and change things up. They make 8.85 miill combined. You can't continue to get ZERO goals from almost 9 mill in players then on top of it have those guys taking dumb penalties, giving the puck away and contributing to very few positive plays in a game. Picking off the odd pass or stealing the puck isn't enough for 9 mill in salary.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2022 09:23]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813590 is a reply to message #813583 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 04:23

Wasn’t a great game, but at ES we outscored them 4-1. But a 20% PK effort? Wow - no bueno. We’re now 30th place on the PK with 67.9%. Won’t get very far if that doesn’t get cleaned up.

On the plus side, McDavid is good at hockey. And I’m loving the physical JP! If the choice has to be him or Yamamoto, it’s an easy choice for me.

Unfortunately Skinner’s heater seems to be a thing of the past. Like a lot of Campbell’s starts, not many “bad” goals, but not many bail outs either.

The disturbing thing on the PK is that there's been no tweak to this point in the season. The system has remained the same, and it is just not working. It seems pretty passive. Other teams are picking it apart so it is time to go back to the drawing board and change it up.

I don't think that's necessarily personnel (although that wouldn't be off the table for me) because the bigger issue is the strategy they're employing. The coach can't be stubborn on this. Find a way.

To me, that's the biggest issue this team faces, despite all the hair rending about various players on the team. Get that PK to a respectable spot, and with the superior powerplay, it makes us a .600 team or better. Probably helps everyone's confidence too if they feel like it isn't an automatic goal against every time they get a call against them.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813619 is a reply to message #813590 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 12:37

To me, that's the biggest issue this team faces, despite all the hair rending about various players on the team. Get that PK to a respectable spot, and with the superior powerplay, it makes us a .600 team or better.

Probably even better. We dead even at 5 on 5 (26GF, 26GA), +5 at 4 on 4 (7GF, 2GA), and a nice +14 on the PP (15GF, 1GA).

But then a brutal -16 (2GF, 18GA) on the PK.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813589 is a reply to message #813569 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Oilers D is bad boys. Defensive coverage is probably the worst that I have seen in quite some time and they give up on so many checks with this pathetic poke check that is just so weak. Nurse isn't the player people think he is, certainly not a number one. He needs help to reduce his role.

JP, I'm folding the tent on him. You with McD, and you think staying in the corner while he is behind the net begging to make a play is a sound decision? Do something or go to the 3rd line where production isn't really expected.

Yamo is a shell. Not sure what is up with him. Foegele is non effective. Kulak took a huge step back. Ugh there isn't much going on with this team.

Bright spots? Hyman (he's a gamer), McD, Neon Leon, Skinner, Ryan, Nuge has turned some corner, McLeod.

Kane seems to be figuring something out because he is making some puzzling decisions.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813626 is a reply to message #813589 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 13:49

First time poster here folks!

I’m very active in Oilers HF boards! Been browsing this forum for a while. You folks seem like good people! Been an Oilers fan for 17 years (I was 18 at the time, was our Cup appearance year) I live in Regina, Sk. I enjoy chocolate pudding, and drinking various IPA’s. I have a 3 year old kid who I’m trying to get into hockey, another kid on the way in February.

Now then, you’re all caught up on my life. Can the Oilers turn this little losing streak around? Last night was horrendous. 4 PP goals…. Need more discipline and to kill a PP here and there.

Hoping Soup has a big game for us tonight. He’s more than due for a good one

Welcome Tardigrade.

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/2894385/792x634/scale;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

Don't be too put off by the negativity around last night's game threads. This is one of the most knowledgeable groups of Oilers fans on the internet and we're not always slitting our wrists over the mediocre play of the team.

You're definitely correct, if you're going to have a woefully bad penalty kill, then you can't also take more penalties than most other teams. Goaltending has to start making a few more saves, but the team has to stop giving up glorious chances too. I think it comes down to systems play - a little more support from the forwards at 5v5 and a little more aggression on the PK - not necessarily hitting people more, just more pressure and less time for the opposition.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813627 is a reply to message #813626 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 14:10

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 13:49

First time poster here folks!

I’m very active in Oilers HF boards! Been browsing this forum for a while. You folks seem like good people! Been an Oilers fan for 17 years (I was 18 at the time, was our Cup appearance year) I live in Regina, Sk. I enjoy chocolate pudding, and drinking various IPA’s. I have a 3 year old kid who I’m trying to get into hockey, another kid on the way in February.

Now then, you’re all caught up on my life. Can the Oilers turn this little losing streak around? Last night was horrendous. 4 PP goals…. Need more discipline and to kill a PP here and there.

Hoping Soup has a big game for us tonight. He’s more than due for a good one

Welcome Tardigrade.

Don't be too put off by the negativity around last night's game threads. This is one of the most knowledgeable groups of Oilers fans on the internet and we're not always slitting our wrists over the mediocre play of the team.

You're definitely correct, if you're going to have a woefully bad penalty kill, then you can't also take more penalties than most other teams. Goaltending has to start making a few more saves, but the team has to stop giving up glorious chances too. I think it comes down to systems play - a little more support from the forwards at 5v5 and a little more aggression on the PK - not necessarily hitting people more, just more pressure and less time for the opposition.

Welcome x2 Tardigrade.

Please be sure to pull this one out when everyone is crying about Oilers failures:

https://i.imgur.com/Med088R.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813628 is a reply to message #813627 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Lmao love it! hahahaha, I will definitely do that.

I meant to post this in the Tampa thread, my mistake.... Got confused with the threads.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813631 is a reply to message #813627 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I have never heard of or seen a tardigale before. Cool looking thing.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813632 is a reply to message #813631 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 14:20

They're also called water bears...for semi-obvious reasons!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813635 is a reply to message #813632 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 14:24

They're also called water bears...for semi-obvious reasons!

Great name for a defense man. Too bad Ethan isn't with the team anymore. Maybe Kulak can be the water bear.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813643 is a reply to message #813631 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I'd never heard of them until watching Star Trek Discovery. Believe it or not a giant space tardigrade is what allows the ship to teleport around the galaxy during the first season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813656 is a reply to message #813643 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 15:02

I'd never heard of them until watching Star Trek Discovery. Believe it or not a giant space tardigrade is what allows the ship to teleport around the galaxy during the first season.

What a fantastic piece of trivial knowledge. I appreciate you benv. This thread has made my day better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813657 is a reply to message #813631 ]
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

They live forever, like Trump's toupee ;-)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813629 is a reply to message #813626 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

No worries!!! You guys seem super knowledgable. It was doom and gloom over on HF boards too.... Fans can be that way (I am guilty of it myself) One day thinking you are primed for a Cup appearance, then you lose three in a row and it's "we need to make major changes"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813649 is a reply to message #813629 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Can we move away from 'Soup' though? How about Noodle?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813658 is a reply to message #813649 ]

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 15:24

There's already been a goalie who was called Noodles. And you're going to need a time machine to change the nickname for Campbell...it's years in the making. Just get used to yelling "SOOOOOUUUUP!!!!" because he's signed here for a long, long time!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813663 is a reply to message #813658 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 16:12 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 15:38

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 15:24

There's already been a goalie who was called Noodles. And you're going to need a time machine to change the nickname for Campbell...it's years in the making. Just get used to yelling "SOOOOOUUUUP!!!!" because he's signed here for a long, long time!

Yeah, but think of the cap savings when he's bought out after 3 years.

The worst part of the soup thing is copying Toronto. Shudder. Of all the fans to copy.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813652 is a reply to message #813589 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 09:14

Oilers D is bad boys. Defensive coverage is probably the worst that I have seen in quite some time and they give up on so many checks with this pathetic poke check that is just so weak. Nurse isn't the player people think he is, certainly not a number one. He needs help to reduce his role.

JP, I'm folding the tent on him. You with McD, and you think staying in the corner while he is behind the net begging to make a play is a sound decision? Do something or go to the 3rd line where production isn't really expected.

Yamo is a shell. Not sure what is up with him. Foegele is non effective. Kulak took a huge step back. Ugh there isn't much going on with this team.

Bright spots? Hyman (he's a gamer), McD, Neon Leon, Skinner, Ryan, Nuge has turned some corner, McLeod.

Kane seems to be figuring something out because he is making some puzzling decisions.

Not making excuses here, but didn't Yamomoto have a concussion (or at least what appeared to be when it happened) in the first couple of games?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13) [message #813654 is a reply to message #813652 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 15:31

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 09:14

Not making excuses here, but didn't Yamomoto have a concussion (or at least what appeared to be when it happened) in the first couple of games?

I am not sure. I have heard Stauffer and Gregor mention he was dealing with a hand thing.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #14)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #13)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca