This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805819 is a reply to message #805754 ]
Tue, 10 May 2022 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

JP benched midway through the 3rd… he’s going to be this off season’s Ethan bear, isn’t he? 😭

I hate this organization.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805821 is a reply to message #805819 ]
Tue, 10 May 2022 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 10 May 2022 22:46

JP benched midway through the 3rd… he’s going to be this off season’s Ethan bear, isn’t he? 😭

So JP is about to be Eberle'd, eh?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805822 is a reply to message #805819 ]
Tue, 10 May 2022 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 10 May 2022 23:46

They will trade him for Bear.

A new wrinkle.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805820 is a reply to message #805754 ]
Tue, 10 May 2022 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

97 saying, “4 goals needs to be enough in a playoff game. Obviously it’s not. We got to keep the puck out of the net”.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805831 is a reply to message #805820 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 10 May 2022 23:47

97 saying, “4 goals needs to be enough in a playoff game. Obviously it’s not. We got to keep the puck out of the net”.

deadhorse

Every complaint we had through the season showed up in full for the last two games. It's almost like the ghost of Kevin Lowe is running this team.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805838 is a reply to message #805754 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Not my biggest complaint last night.....

but not a fan of starting with the McDavid/Drai line in OT. This isn't 3 on 3 OT in the regular season.

Would've been more favorable starting grinders out that could've tilted the ice with their physicality in the trenches and then putting that super line on the fly while in transition....

Not sure why we had two lefties being Keith/Kulak on the blue line at the same time....what the hell?!?!

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:09]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805839 is a reply to message #805838 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I'm obviously very happy to have Draisaitl on this team, and he does a lot more good than bad, but those blind back passes need to stop.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805840 is a reply to message #805839 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

And now Nurse has a hearing for his headbut last night.
Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805843 is a reply to message #805840 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Something is wrong with these guys and it's between the ears for some of their key guys in my opinion. Starting off well has been critical in this series yet game after game they don't. The Oilers especially the last 2 games they have been absolutely outclassed by an inferior team talent wise. Some of the roster decisions aren't helping at times as some key vets had a BAD game - Smith and Keith being the main ones. I am not defending Smith or Keith because they sucked last night but the poor starts are on the big boys in my opinion.

One of Leon's or McD's line ALWAYS start the game. ALWAYS. Yet time and time again, the Kings take it to them immediately right off the faceoff. Even in OT, the Kings took it to McD AND Leon together instantly. Then in the game to start. Once McD/Leon's line finishes their shift which is usually around at least a minute, the other line jumps on. So for the first 3 mins, its McD's or Leon's line on the ice getting CRUSHED. Then usually the vet, longest serving Oilers line jumps over the boards in Nuge. SO now you are into 4 + mins into the game and your 2 best players and then another key, longest service vet in Nuge have ALL played and the Kings will be up 4, 5, 6 shots to zero. Maybe up a goal.

The players keep talking about the start. We need to start better, start skating, etc, etc, etc. Look in the mirror you 3. Those 3 play the first 3 shifts and if the the team is on their heels and the start sucks, they are the ones that have to change it.

Other players need to be better. Smith needs to be better, Keith needs to pull his head out of his old ass, some young guys need to relax but the start will only improve if McD, Leon and Nuge, your top 3 centers do something about it.

I know that the Kings try to shut things down but the 3rd period and the absolute dominance they showed, proves the Oilers CAN breakthrough. They CAN breakthrough when they want too. So it's something between the ears stopping them and I hope they figure it out.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:18]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805847 is a reply to message #805840 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 08:52

Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat

Suspended for a game. Off to the links first! golf

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805849 is a reply to message #805847 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 13:08

Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat

Keith as our #1 D will step up!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805867 is a reply to message #805847 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 12:08

Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat

Veteran move Darnell.
Maybe try and get stronger next year so you can actually manhandle guys without getting frustrated.

Its going to be a gong show tomorrow.. cue D-zone fire drills.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805844 is a reply to message #805754 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

If this team has covid, or any form of sickness it should be announced. The I can take this feeling I have for the team and shove it down, but I don't have that so I can't.

So angry with how this team can lose games to them. The kings want this more, and the team of game 2 and 3 is a distant memory.

Nurse headbutting the guy is damn foolish. Kassian not knowing where the line is doesn't help the team. Kane knows where the line is but spent too much time in the box.

This team.... how I hate them sometimes.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805845 is a reply to message #805844 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 11:36

If this team has covid, or any form of sickness it should be announced. The I can take this feeling I have for the team and shove it down, but I don't have that so I can't.

So angry with how this team can lose games to them. The kings want this more, and the team of game 2 and 3 is a distant memory.

Nurse headbutting the guy is damn foolish. Kassian not knowing where the line is doesn't help the team. Kane knows where the line is but spent too much time in the box.

This team.... how I hate them sometimes.

Any lingering issues or illness always comes out when the team is eliminated. Like when Hemsky played on a broken ankle. You don't want the other team targeting a guy's injury or wearing down someone with a lingering illness. You also don't want the hometown media doing that, but this is Edmonton and we aren't concerned with that sort of thing.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805846 is a reply to message #805845 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I believe part of the Oilers problem and has been for many years is the Oilers continue to try to do too much. Rather than make the simple pass to an open dman, Smith tries to go for a homerun in game 1. You have dman trying to hit stretch passes over the opposition sticks rather than skate it out, circle back or make the short pass. Dman join the rush too much and can't get back. Forwards like McD, Leon, etc try to carry the puck through 2 or 3 guys rather than at times just dumping it in. Its been a problem since the Hall years and I don't know how to fix it. Even as simple as putting pucks on goal. Things aren't going well, you need offense, how many unsuccessful cross crease passes did we see for 2 periods when the guy was in a good shooting position?

The Kings are winning because they are playing a structure, playing it to a T and all of their guys are playing within themselves. Like it or not, it's the little things in the playoffs that tend to make the difference. The Oilers did the little things in game 2 and 3 and they beat the hell out of the Kings because they are the better team. They stopped doing the little things in 4 and 5 and they lost. Pretty simple.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805848 is a reply to message #805846 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

They also stemmed our power play by doing what teams did to us in the middle of the season. Constant pressure on the puck carrier. They're not trying to clog up a lane, just pressure and we can't overcome it.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805859 is a reply to message #805754 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

If Dave Tippett is still coaching the team from afar, prove to me this isn’t the case with the last couple games 😏, we see Russell in game 6.

If Woody truly is the man, I’m excited to see Broberg in game 6.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805861 is a reply to message #805859 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 14:45

If Dave Tippett is still coaching the team from afar, prove to me this isn’t the case with the last couple games 😏, we see Russell in game 6.

Trusting a raw rookie in an elimination game means you're planning to have 5 D down the stretch.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805865 is a reply to message #805861 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 14:50

Trusting a raw rookie in an elimination game means you're planning to have 5 D down the stretch.

Eh, I’ve had my heart broken by this team countless times. Need a young guy to deflect from the vets for this series loss.

My morale is in the dumps. If that wasn’t obvious

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805864 is a reply to message #805859 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Might see both? 11F, 7D?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805874 is a reply to message #805864 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 13:54

Might see both? 11F, 7D?

I know we're desperate, but not even pulling Messier and Coffey out of retirement will fix this.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805876 is a reply to message #805874 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 18:34

Might see both? 11F, 7D?

I know we're desperate, but not even pulling Messier and Coffey out of retirement will fix this.

Just gotta win one game. No big deal.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805878 is a reply to message #805876 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 19:08

nullterm wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 18:34

Might see both? 11F, 7D?

Just gotta win one game. No big deal.

I can smell The Must and it’s still over 24 hours away.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805881 is a reply to message #805878 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

We have to start Koskinen in game 6. They guy has won a major professional championship. He is a playoff player. I'm sick of waiting for Smith to sink us.

Koskinens KHL playoff numbers:

Gp- 77
W-L- 50-24
GAA- 1.64
SV%- .938
SO- 14

Four NHL playoff games. FML.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:21]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805914 is a reply to message #805881 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 20:12

We have to start Koskinen in game 6. They guy has won a major professional championship. He is a playoff player. I'm sick of waiting for Smith to sink us.

Gp- 77
W-L- 50-24
GAA- 1.64
SV%- .938
SO- 14

100%. This is also why I thought they should have gone with Koskinen in game 2. Mike Smith was not good in game 5, but they've gone this far with him at this point, I have a hard time seeing Woodcroft go with Koskinen tonight. He hasn't played in 2 weeks, so if they put him in and he sucks, people are going to be questioning that move forever, whereas nobody (at least nobody in the media), is going to question Woodcroft if he plays Smith tonight. There's just too many incentives for playing Smith tonight that I can't see Woodcroft making a change.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805924 is a reply to message #805914 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 12:28

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 20:12

Gp- 77
W-L- 50-24
GAA- 1.64
SV%- .938
SO- 14

100%. This is also why I thought they should have gone with Koskinen in game 2. Mike Smith was not good in game 5, but they've gone this far with him at this point, I have a hard time seeing Woodcroft go with Koskinen tonight. He hasn't played in 2 weeks, so if they put him in and he sucks, people are going to be questioning that move forever, whereas nobody (at least nobody in the media), is going to question Woodcroft if he plays Smith tonight. There's just too many incentives for playing Smith tonight that I can't see Woodcroft making a change.

They have to go with Smith tonight. I don't really think playing musical goaltenders works in the playoffs, but neither does overplaying guys who can't be overplayed... nor does playing an ice cold guy who has to be mentally checked out on the organization now.

Just gotta battle through. Hope and pray. I wonder if Skinner was considered back in February? Probably best not to ask that.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805925 is a reply to message #805914 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm absolutely no Smith fan and never wanted his current contract signed, however his save % this playoffs is .930... really don't think our current situation is his fault, and as previously stated, I don't think you can start Koski when he hasn't played in 2 weeks and his save % in the NHL has never hit that peak.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805927 is a reply to message #805925 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 13:01

I'm absolutely no Smith fan and never wanted his current contract signed, however his save % this playoffs is .930... really don't think our current situation is his fault, and as previously stated, I don't think you can start Koski when he hasn't played in 2 weeks and his save % in the NHL has never hit that peak.

His save percentage could be .999, he just has a knack for giving up crappy goals at the worst times. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:15]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805928 is a reply to message #805927 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 13:14

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 13:01

His save percentage could be .999, he just has a knack for giving up crappy goals at the worst times.

The Oilers Corsi would be awful if he gave up a couple goals at .999, Eakins would be losing his mind.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805938 is a reply to message #805928 ]
Thu, 12 May 2022 14:42 Go to previous message

No Cups

Did you watch Koskinen this year? I'd say one of the worst times to give up a goal is the first shot of the game... which happened a surprising amount.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805866 is a reply to message #805859 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am sorry man. I am no Tippett lover and I think Broberg is going to be good but no way am I throwing in Broberg in a must win game in the playoffs. That would be nuts to me. If they want to play him, I could take 11-7. That way you can keep the minutes down for everyone as you try to cover for no Nurse.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5) [message #805868 is a reply to message #805866 ]
Wed, 11 May 2022 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 May 2022 15:50

I am sorry man. I am no Tippett lover and I think Broberg is going to be good but no way am I throwing in Broberg in a must win game in the playoffs. That would be nuts to me. If they want to play him, I could take 11-7. That way you can keep the minutes down for everyone as you try to cover for no Nurse.

Ya, good point… let’s continually Chuck vets who are over the hill into big moments. It’ll be Puljujarvi’s fault regardless.

Big Bob and co have that cocked and loaded

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #6)
Next Topic:Nurse suspended for game 6
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca