This day on July 1
Acquired: Jochen Hecht (2001) Marty Reasoner (2001) Joni Pitkanen (2007) Geoff Sanderson (2007) Dick Tarnstrom (2007) Gilbert Brule (2008) Erik Cole (2008) Nikolai Khabibulin (2009) Kurtis Foster (2010)
Departed: German Titov (2000) Michel Riesen (2001) Igor Ulanov (2001) Doug Weight (2001) Joffrey Lupul (2007) Jason Smith (2007) Raffi Torres (2008) Joni Pitkanen (2008) Dwayne Roloson (2009) Charles Linglet (2010)

Happy Birthday To: P.I.H., Raffman, Wallace1, WattyB, skyismine, oilinjapan, gagner89, OIL in THE blood, olbaaja

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803569]
Sun, 03 April 2022 16:00 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Not saying Keith would ever consider doing this, or if he should, but its an interesting feature of NHL regulations when a player retires, and the long term cap implications are to the team that traded him... eg. Luongo > Canucks

I never realized the huge implications would be to Chicago for Keith.
If Keith were to decide to retire, I'd tell Chicago instead of you taking a $7.5M cap hit, we'll put Keith on LTIR.. if you give us a 1st rounder.. or Kirby Dach! :)

From Puckpedia
https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/answers/duncan-keith-potent ial-recapture
Quote:

Duncan Keith Potential Recapture
If Keith retires after the upcoming season, what are the repercussions?

Answer
Jul 13, 2021
If Keith were to retire after this 21-22 season (with 1 season remaining), it would trigger a recapture cap hit for Chicago and Edmonton. The recapture is the difference between the cap hit and the compensation for all the years the player played on a team. For Keith, if he retired after 21-22, the recapture would be:

-Chicago recapture charge of $7,476,918. The charge would be allocated as $5,538,462 (Keith's original cap Hit) in 22-23, and the remaining $1,938,456 in 23-24

-Edmonton recapture benefit of $3,438,462 in 22-23; this is a negative cap hit (cap savings)

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2022 16:05]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803571 is a reply to message #803569 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

You can't just put a guy on LTIR, he has to be injured.

And the Oilers could use the cap.

This summer we all find out Holland is playing 9D chess.

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803572 is a reply to message #803571 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 15:24

...You can't just put a guy on LTIR, he has to be injured.

https://c.tenor.com/NYTO7_RUxT0AAAAM/parks-and-rec-adam-scott.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803581 is a reply to message #803572 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 17:20

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 15:24

...You can't just put a guy on LTIR, he has to be injured.

https://c.tenor.com/NYTO7_RUxT0AAAAM/parks-and-rec-adam-scott.gif

Lupul says hello!

https://i.imgur.com/dSTbOFm.gif?noredirect

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803585 is a reply to message #803569 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

6 Cups

Perhaps that’s why Holland agreed on no retention? Could make a little sense, though still an obvious gamble.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803612 is a reply to message #803585 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 18:49

Perhaps that’s why Holland agreed on no retention? Could make a little sense, though still an obvious gamble.

Ha ha ha ha ha...no. Holland isn't playing 3D Chess here. He got snookered in to thinking he had a Norris Trophy candidate coming to Edmonton for the low low price of Jones and a draft pick.

It would be a great scenario if Duncan Keith retired, but I think there's just no chance of it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803619 is a reply to message #803612 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 20:42

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 18:49

Ha ha ha ha ha...no. Holland isn't playing 3D Chess here. He got snookered in to thinking he had a Norris Trophy candidate coming to Edmonton for the low low price of Jones and a draft pick.

It would be a great scenario if Duncan Keith retired, but I think there's just no chance of it.

But at least a Smith-Skinner tandem next season allows Holland to keep Keith, Barrie and possibly Kane. 😏

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803606 is a reply to message #803569 ]
Sun, 03 April 2022 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

I was actually thinking about this while out and about the other day, didn't end up looking it up and bang here it is. I mean he's old, there's gotta be something that needs working on. A shoulder, knees, I honestly don't think LTIR would be an issue here and if we could hold them over a barrel and get a dach or first, that would be an ingenious plan, the x factor is Holland.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803661 is a reply to message #803606 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sun, 03 April 2022 20:28

I was actually thinking about this while out and about the other day, didn't end up looking it up and bang here it is. I mean he's old, there's gotta be something that needs working on. A shoulder, knees, I honestly don't think LTIR would be an issue here and if we could hold them over a barrel and get a dach or first, that would be an ingenious plan, the x factor is Holland.

I have the same thoughts. You hear a ton how once an NHL player retires, they get some kind of surgery to fix something they were dealing with for a long time. I listen to the Calgary morning show from time to time on my drive in and they have Rhett Warner on it. He had shoulder issues for years. Once retired, he got a surgery. Seems like a fair amount of these players tend to have something that needs fixing at some point but while they are playing they just rehab it and get minor things done. Keith isn't a big guy and with all the playoffs and Olympics and other events plus all the games he's played, I could see him having something.

Prediction. Keith only makes 1.5 mill in actual money and in his last year of his deal. He decides beating himself up in training and in the season isn't worth it and goes on "LTIR" for the year. Same for Smith.

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803664 is a reply to message #803661 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 08:24

I have the same thoughts. You hear a ton how once an NHL player retires, they get some kind of surgery to fix something they were dealing with for a long time. I listen to the Calgary morning show from time to time on my drive in and they have Rhett Warner on it. He had shoulder issues for years. Once retired, he got a surgery. Seems like a fair amount of these players tend to have something that needs fixing at some point but while they are playing they just rehab it and get minor things done. Keith isn't a big guy and with all the playoffs and Olympics and other events plus all the games he's played, I could see him having something.

Prediction. Keith only makes 1.5 mill in actual money and in his last year of his deal. He decides beating himself up in training and in the season isn't worth it and goes on "LTIR" for the year. Same for Smith.

Who do you think we are, Chicago? Both smith and Keith are back next season. That’s my prediction barring a buyout.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803670 is a reply to message #803664 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 12:09

Who do you think we are, Chicago? Both smith and Keith are back next season. That’s my prediction barring a buyout.

To be fair, we did more or less do that with Ference & his last year here didn't we?

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803672 is a reply to message #803670 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 12:35

To be fair, we did more or less do that with Ference & his last year here didn't we?

They sure did.

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803678 is a reply to message #803672 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 14:37

They sure did.

I think there was some legitimacy to that injury though. Problems with his skating stride?

Re: What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire? [message #803754 is a reply to message #803678 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 08:22 Go to previous message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 17:10

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 14:37

They sure did.

I think there was some legitimacy to that injury though. Problems with his skating stride?

There was but like I said, you see lots of retired players get some kind of surgery for something pretty quick after they are done. It was something that had to be addressed at somepoint but when they are playing they just get all kinds of treatments and rehab because they don't want to miss a ton of time.

Previous Topic:Yamo Extension
Next Topic:Trade Deadline Rumours
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca