This day on July 1
Acquired: Jochen Hecht (2001) Marty Reasoner (2001) Joni Pitkanen (2007) Geoff Sanderson (2007) Dick Tarnstrom (2007) Gilbert Brule (2008) Erik Cole (2008) Nikolai Khabibulin (2009) Kurtis Foster (2010)
Departed: German Titov (2000) Michel Riesen (2001) Igor Ulanov (2001) Doug Weight (2001) Joffrey Lupul (2007) Jason Smith (2007) Raffi Torres (2008) Joni Pitkanen (2008) Dwayne Roloson (2009) Charles Linglet (2010)

Happy Birthday To: P.I.H., Raffman, Wallace1, WattyB, skyismine, oilinjapan, gagner89, OIL in THE blood, olbaaja

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » The Return of Paul Coffey?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801390]
Wed, 09 March 2022 11:40 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

From Elliotte Friedman's 32 thoughts blog:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/32-thoughts-taking-a-look-a round-the-nhl-trade-market/

Quote:

5. Paul Coffey remained around the Oilers for Monday’s Battle of Alberta. Loves and knows his hockey. Again, we’re told nothing formal, but I’m curious to see where this goes.

Oh god...

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801391 is a reply to message #801390 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNRWxNdX0AIQX1s?format=png&name=small

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801392 is a reply to message #801391 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

It's been a few days since Oilers fans had a reason to completely melt down again, so this should help. icon_lol

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801394 is a reply to message #801392 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 12:01

It's been a few days since Oilers fans had a reason to completely melt down again, so this should help. icon_lol

Don't worry, they play nearly every second night for the rest of the season.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801400 is a reply to message #801394 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 12:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 12:01

Don't worry, they play nearly every second night for the rest of the season.

Hey, we've been saying that the management team wasn't good enough. If the team adds a HALL OF FAMER like Paul Coffey with MULTIPLE CUP RINGS can we really complain that they're not doing enough?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801411 is a reply to message #801390 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Get that resume ready Woodcroft!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801420 is a reply to message #801411 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 16:00

Maybe Woodcroft asked for Coffey? After all, they worked together on that same coaching staff for McLellan on the odd days that Paul showed up and didn't just hang in the office with Kevin and Wayne.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801516 is a reply to message #801420 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 17:28

Maybe Woodcroft asked for Coffey? After all, they worked together on that same coaching staff for McLellan on the odd days that Paul showed up and didn't just hang in the office with Kevin and Wayne.

I was wondering the same thing. The Oilers PP looked good last night but before that looked like it couldn't score on an empty net. Perhaps he asked Coffey who would have 20 yrs of experience being on a PP to take a look at a few games to see what he could see and get a perspective from someone outside of the team. As an alumni, the Oilers could probably get him to do that as a favor and just pay for his travel, lodgings and maybe a small fee vs having to bring in an outside guy who they would have to sign and commit too.

I am not advocating for another ex player to get a job but if you have resources at your disposal, they should be using them. I listened to Brian Laylor on Stauffers show yesterday and he made the point that the Oilers as a high revenue team should be using that to their advantage and spending more money on hockey ops/analytics/scouting/everything other than players side that some other teams aren't allowed too. They can't control where they are in the world that makes it hard to sign certain players but they can spend more that other teams to find players. If they aren't, they sure as hell need to start.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801520 is a reply to message #801516 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 08:19

I was wondering the same thing. The Oilers PP looked good last night but before that looked like it couldn't score on an empty net. Perhaps he asked Coffey who would have 20 yrs of experience being on a PP to take a look at a few games to see what he could see and get a perspective from someone outside of the team. As an alumni, the Oilers could probably get him to do that as a favor and just pay for his travel, lodgings and maybe a small fee vs having to bring in an outside guy who they would have to sign and commit too.

I am not advocating for another ex player to get a job but if you have resources at your disposal, they should be using them. I listened to Brian Laylor on Stauffers show yesterday and he made the point that the Oilers as a high revenue team should be using that to their advantage and spending more money on hockey ops/analytics/scouting/everything other than players side that some other teams aren't allowed too. They can't control where they are in the world that makes it hard to sign certain players but they can spend more that other teams to find players. If they aren't, they sure as hell need to start.

Maybe we should try to get people that have actually done something in the last couple decades in high level coaching? Most players end up being awful coaches, especially elite players, for whatever reason. hard to relate to the less talented maybe.

Loads of smart people out there just looking for an opportunity, I bet many that would do a way better job than adding another tired old boys club member looking to milk Katz for another inflated salary. What did Coffey make last time he was here to do some phone calls once a week while living out East? 500k? That Katz sure is easy money for these guys.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801522 is a reply to message #801520 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 08:54

Maybe we should try to get people that have actually done something in the last couple decades in high level coaching? Most players end up being awful coaches, especially elite players, for whatever reason. hard to relate to the less talented maybe.

Loads of smart people out there just looking for an opportunity, I bet many that would do a way better job than adding another tired old boys club member looking to milk Katz for another inflated salary. What did Coffey make last time he was here to do some phone calls once a week while living out East? 500k? That Katz sure is easy money for these guys.

I 100% agree. I am not looking to hire him. But does it hurt to utilize a resource for a couple of days to get an opinion?

If Coffey never played a single game for the Oilers in his life, would you care? I bet not.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801528 is a reply to message #801520 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Not advocating for Coffey, but there has been a lot of great coaches who came up as former star players. Without putting much effort into my list Darryl Sutter, Larry Robinson, Brind'Amour, St. Louis (small sample size), Gallant and Brunette come to mind.

I recently saw that only 6 out of the current 32 head coaches had no NHL playing experience. We rightfully so have been tainted by the OBC and Hockey Canada alumni. PTSD is real.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801530 is a reply to message #801528 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 11:35

Not advocating for Coffey, but there has been a lot of great coaches who came up as former star players. Without putting much effort into my list Darryl Sutter, Larry Robinson, Brind'Amour, St. Louis (small sample size), Gallant and Brunette come to mind.

I recently saw that only 6 out of the current 32 head coaches had no NHL playing experience. We rightfully so have been tainted by the OBC and Hockey Canada alumni. PTSD is real.

I'm probably defaulting to Gretzky too much every time I think about a former star being a coach :) Definitely agree there have been some examples of great success still, some with a bit of luck falling into an amazing lineup to coach, but some not like Sutter. The best of the best seem to be those guys that struggled in their playing careers, always having to figure out a way to contribute to try to take one more step up, or people that are just plain old super smart, which is likely the major factor in the results of all these guys, ex-star or not.

My gripe is mainly just the usual. Annoyed at the idea this org just decides by default the best option is a friend of Lowe's. Zero effort to actually try to find the best person out there. And we already got a taste of what a waste of money Coffey can be. 500k to chat with players once a week, if that, usually on the phone. Come on, lol. And even though the management money is unlimited, the feeling that we filled a huge gap in the org just by bringing Coffey just adds to the false sense of confidence throughout the org, that Lowe is famous for, that they have done all they can, and any failure is simply the fault of the players.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801529 is a reply to message #801520 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I should be clear, I was being completely tongue in cheek. Coffey's last tenure here was a bit of a mess, and the relationship with the other coaches was so strained that McLellan went and gave an "anonymous" interview to Spector outlining how little Coffey actually showed up for work and some of the tensions that existed there.

I am all for adding resources that help, but this organization has had a serious nepotism issue for ages, and getting random input from other old pals of Kevin Lowe looks like something more along that line than it does getting the best people to change up the echo chamber that is our management team.

Coffey's history as a coach/manager post playing career is: Special teams coach for a brief time with Gretzky's not-so-good Coyotes teams, then head coach of an OJHL team, until he was fired for using a slur towards a player, and then a few weeks as a part-time coach for the Oilers. Loved the player, but I don't think he's the best option the team could hire as a consultant.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801704 is a reply to message #801516 ]
Mon, 14 March 2022 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

I listened to that hit as well, and its painfully obvious that is what should be happening...

BUT...

...when they did have an analytics guy he was ignored. Now we're playing catch up, because most of the other teams have been doing this for years and they've built up the IP.

Sure we can buy that expertise, but we still have to empower it. Unfortunately that day likely doesn't come until Katz Jr takes over from daddy.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801720 is a reply to message #801704 ]
Tue, 15 March 2022 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Mon, 14 March 2022 20:07

I listened to that hit as well, and its painfully obvious that is what should be happening...

BUT...

...when they did have an analytics guy he was ignored. Now we're playing catch up, because most of the other teams have been doing this for years and they've built up the IP.

Sure we can buy that expertise, but we still have to empower it. Unfortunately that day likely doesn't come until Katz Jr takes over from daddy.

What??? You don't think Holland, Lowe and Nicholson takes the guy booking hotel rooms seriously when he tells them what the numbers say on a player?

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801543 is a reply to message #801390 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Can someone tell me an Oilers alumni that has had any success at the NHL level in a management or advisory role besides sole lightning in a bottle in 2006 run?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801554 is a reply to message #801543 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 16:45

Can someone tell me an Oilers alumni that has had any success at the NHL level in a management or advisory role besides sole lightning in a bottle in 2006 run?

Glen Sather

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801555 is a reply to message #801554 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 20:34

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 16:45

Glen Sather

Dan Craig

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801560 is a reply to message #801555 ]
Fri, 11 March 2022 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Adam Oates, though brief, with Washington. 2012-2014

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #801563 is a reply to message #801560 ]
Fri, 11 March 2022 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 11 March 2022 09:36

Adam Oates, though brief, with Washington. 2012-2014

Oates wasn't a successful coach. Good skills coach - has done a lot with a bunch of players - but his time in Washington wasn't great. Two seasons, no playoff success and one of the very few years of Ovechkin's career where they didn't make the playoffs.

I think the list of high-end players who've failed as coaches is a lot longer than the list of guys who succeeded. Just a few quick examples - Phil Esposito, Brian Trottier, Wayne Gretzky, Denis Savard...the really good players generally struggle as coaches. I expect some of that is that they see the game differently. It's hard to teach people to do things when they can't see the game the same way you can. I mean, Gretzky apparently knew where everyone on the ice was all the time, and would even check the reflection in the glass regularly - and be able to tell from that what to do. How do you teach that?

Bowman was a minor league player. Sather was a guy at the fringe of the team. Arbour was a defensive defenceman. Badger Bob Johnson was a University player and nothing more. Joel Quenneville was a journeyman defenceman. Ken Hitchcock never played at any high level. Jon Cooper never played at a high level.

That's not to say that no star could be successful as a coach - just that it would be the exception to the rule. I am curious as to whether you see the same in other sports too - with most dominant coaches being lesser players or guys who've never played high level. I can think of Maradona off the top of my head, who was never thought to be a brilliant manager...

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #804146 is a reply to message #801563 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

The outliers for hockey off the top of my head for a great player and a great coach at the NHL level are really only Larry Robinson and Toe Blake.

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #804150 is a reply to message #804146 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Teammate Avry wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 13:22

The outliers for hockey off the top of my head for a great player and a great coach at the NHL level are really only Larry Robinson and Toe Blake.

It's true, the greats never seem to become great coaches. Of the current 32 NHL coaches you see lots of former players on there, but not man of them were great players. Of those that were great players, they are almost all pretty recent in the NHL coaching game. Gerard Gallant is maybe the one with the best balance between great coach and player, but his playing career was cut short with injuries. Rod Brind'Amour is maybe #2, but he has only coached 4 seasons and I also hate his nose.

Still makes me laugh a little that Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams with one good season and then his team was bad and he disappeared forever. The Jack Adams is a weird trophy. when it comes to the winners.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #804153 is a reply to message #804150 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 14:59

Teammate Avry wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 13:22

It's true, the greats never seem to become great coaches. Of the current 32 NHL coaches you see lots of former players on there, but not man of them were great players. Of those that were great players, they are almost all pretty recent in the NHL coaching game. Gerard Gallant is maybe the one with the best balance between great coach and player, but his playing career was cut short with injuries. Rod Brind'Amour is maybe #2, but he has only coached 4 seasons and I also hate his nose.

Still makes me laugh a little that Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams with one good season and then his team was bad and he disappeared forever. The Jack Adams is a weird trophy. when it comes to the winners.

It's the average or below average players you want coaching. They are the ones that had to constantly be thinking about how to be effective players and pay attention to what the coaches were saying to keep their job.

Anyone can pass the puck to a great player and let him do it's thing. When you got five scubs that can barely keep up on the ice, that's where a good coach makes the biggest difference making sure they know where to go and what to do.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808724 is a reply to message #801390 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Friedman says today on the 32 Thoughts podcast that Paul Coffey has been around for a lot of the season, and that Katz really trusts him. Friedman wonders where this is leading to.

FFS man.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808734 is a reply to message #808724 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2022 11:55

Friedman says today on the 32 Thoughts podcast that Paul Coffey has been around for a lot of the season, and that Katz really trusts him. Friedman wonders where this is leading to.

FFS man.

Honest question: how would Katz know who is around?

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808735 is a reply to message #808734 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 June 2022 13:27

FFS man.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUnd7z3UYAAUv7m?format=jpg&name=small

Katz thinking: The issue with this team is Paul Coffey doesn't have a big enough role.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808737 is a reply to message #808735 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Katz thinking 'If I bring in Paul Coffey, does Paul bring in coffee?'

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808738 is a reply to message #808735 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2022 13:29

FFS man.

Katz thinking: The issue with this team is Paul Coffey doesn't have a big enough role.

Everyone should have a friend that will say the hard things to you. Judging solely from appearance I don't think Katz has a friend willing to say "you're starting to look like a comic book villain".

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808746 is a reply to message #808735 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2022 13:29

FFS man.

Do we have any idea what Coffey's kids' hockey schedule looks like?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Return of Paul Coffey? [message #808747 is a reply to message #808724 ]
Wed, 08 June 2022 14:08 Go to previous message

6 Cups

FFS man.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/32-thoughts/

For anyone that wants to listen. Lightning strikes one, start at 15:30.

That's messed up. Should be used to this crap, but this hits hard for some reason. F this team if Katz's solution is another ex-Oiler he likes chatting about the good old days with that got in his ear to tell him easy solutions (that can't actually be actioned) that Katz wants to hear.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2022 14:13]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Previous Topic:Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian
Next Topic:Where is the goalie we so desperately need?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca