This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799280]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vegas to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799281 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Tippett doesn’t see March.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799282 is a reply to message #799281 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:31

Oh it would be so Oilers to fire him now, in the midst of a ridiculous stretch of makeup games after a period where we had one game in two weeks...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799286 is a reply to message #799282 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:33

Oh it would be so Oilers to fire him now, in the midst of a ridiculous stretch of makeup games after a period where we had one game in two weeks...

Now I’m even more convinced.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799283 is a reply to message #799281 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

We had a 4 game win streak! And upper management had this team within 1 period of winning a cup. So many gold medals and cups too.

Trust the process.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799302 is a reply to message #799281 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

They missed the chance to can the stubborn arse.
This mess is all Holland and above.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799284 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Man when they mentioned that Florida gave up Marchessault and Smith to the Golden Knights back in 2017 and managed to build a deep team since then. Who would be two comparable players for the Oilers to lose? Hall and Ebs?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799288 is a reply to message #799284 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

So who deserves to be in net tomorrow...?

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799290 is a reply to message #799288 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 21:48

Holland.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799291 is a reply to message #799288 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 20:48

Whats the cost of a shooter-tutor.. will it fit under our cap?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799292 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This team is lifeless.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799293 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Hey.. do you think we could trade for that Broissot kid? Where'd he come from.. he's not bad!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799294 is a reply to message #799293 ]
Tue, 08 February 2022 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:26

Hey.. do you think we could trade for that Broissot kid? Where'd he come from.. he's not bad!

Gawd... another Dustin Schultz castoff...

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799296 is a reply to message #799294 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:38

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 22:26

Gawd... another Dustin Schultz castoff...

Ugly how Brossoit and Smith had pretty much matching saves %'s (.897) before the game but Brossoit was 2.60 GAA and Smith was 3.76 GAA.

This Oilers team looks like they're losing on purpose to cull the Tippett.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799295 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Question.. forget how many first goals of the game have the Oilers given up this year.. how many of the first TWO goals have they given up?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799297 is a reply to message #799295 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 February 2022 00:03

Question.. forget how many first goals of the game have the Oilers given up this year.. how many of the first TWO goals have they given up?

NHL.com kindly lets you find that stat for trailing first.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=scoretrailfirst&r eportType=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=202120 22&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=trai lingFirstGamesPlayed&page=0&pageSize=50

31 times in 43 games. On pace for 59 times in 82 games.

The record is 60 times by the 74/75 capitals (in 80 games)

Colorado is 2nd, with 58 times in 82 games (2016/17)

I really feel like we still have a shot at the record number of times in a season. There is just something special about this team.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2022 01:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799299 is a reply to message #799295 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 February 2022 23:03

I saw these on twitter the other day, they're pretty cool and free on his site. Definitely shows how ridiculously lopsided it is for the Oilers in terms of giving up the first goal, and then looks like they're slightly more likely to then go down 2-0 vs tying it at 1-1.

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/scoreGrowth/2122/EDM

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/scoreGrowth/2122/EDM/wrap

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799300 is a reply to message #799299 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Yeah, but once down 0-2, they're far more likely to make it 1-2 than 0-3.

What a cool viz.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799306 is a reply to message #799299 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 09 February 2022 00:05

I saw these on twitter the other day, they're pretty cool and free on his site. Definitely shows how ridiculously lopsided it is for the Oilers in terms of giving up the first goal, and then looks like they're slightly more likely to then go down 2-0 vs tying it at 1-1.

Is there anyway to find out how many times they down 0-2? The stat is 31 when they are down 0-1.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799307 is a reply to message #799306 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 February 2022 07:12

Goose wrote on Wed, 09 February 2022 00:05

Is there anyway to find out how many times they down 0-2? The stat is 31 when they are down 0-1.

I count 16 little lines on that viz. And 15 times we went 0-1 to 1-1.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799319 is a reply to message #799307 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Horrible, horrible game.

The team looked like they did during that bad streak. Pretty much every top guy looked terrible. I thought the only guy that looked remotely decent was Kane.

McD and Leon looked like they spent the 3,4, 5 days they were in Vegas sitting by the pool with their women drinking. They looked slow, disinterested and didn't generate much. When you make a combined 21 million, yes depth is important but you need to produce something. That's their job and why they make so much.

Before the break Nuge and Hyman looked fantastic. Last night they were horrible. Nuge -3, Hyman -2. didn't generate anything.

JP and Yamo were mostly invisible. I don't know what's up with JP but it's just not working no matter where he plays. Yamo, I can appreciate that for a little guy he tries for pucks but I just think he's not a good enough top 6 guy and I think he is a case where his size is something he may not overcome to be overly successful in the NHL.

I thought Kassian was alright. He was physical which he needs to be every game but he's not a top 6 guy. THe double clutch on that Leon set up not even able to get a shot off may it pretty clear.

I thought the 4th line was meh. They can kill penalties but there is no identity. I think they badly need a bigger, more physical guy on that line.

Bouchard was BAD. Like really, really bad. I know the knock on him was his sense of urgency and his lack of defensive/danger awareness, well it was on display last night. I think he's going to be one hell of an offensive dman but man he needs to work on the rest of the game. Bad, bad night.

Nurse I don't think was great but I wonder how much of it was his partner who was a train wreck.

Keith was solid.

Ceci was OK. As a pair, they were the best.

Barrie a freaking train wreck, maybe his worse game as an Oiler. I wonder if he is nursing something because he was out not long ago with an upper and lower body. He looked a step slower than I remember and got burned a lot. The second goal I give fault to both McD and Barrie. First McD had tons of time and space to rip a shot. He was standing on the freaking dot on his forehand with traffic and JP in front to bang in a rebound or tip it and Leon on the side of the crease. Why the hell wouldn't you want to shoot!! But he throws a pass to Barrie instead with a Vegas guy standing maybe 10-12 ft from him and Barrie shoots it, of course it gets block because the chances of it getting through were slim and goes the other way. 2 mistakes by 2 vets.

Smith. Brutal. First goal, sure it was a 2 on 1 but it was shot all the way from the centerline. There was no pass available as the defender at least cut that off well. So Smith saw the guy coming for a very long time to be set. No screen, no tip, no threat of tip, no threat of pass. A low, on the ice shot that went through him. Can't go in ever. I didn't like the 3rd goal either. It wasn't as gross as the first 1 but he was SOOO deep in his net and just looked bizarre trying to stop it. The 4th goal, I always hate those. We have a 6'7 and Smith is 6'5 goalie and they are on the ice making themselves look small. Good shot by Smith from Vegas but still why are guys that tall giving up that much room up top. The cherry on top is Smith flexing his leg in parts of the second and 3rd period. Is he that brittle now that you breath on him and he tweaks something or more correctly and this is my opinion, he's a bit of a primadonna type who it doesn't matter what test you run say, what the trainer says or doctors, he's the type that in his mind "Something isn't right". Just a brutal start for him and for a guy who in my opinion, owes this team a hell of a lot.

Last comment. It won't happen but I would absolutely LOVE IT, if Tippett or whoever the hell coaches this team next to institute a penalty for every time they pass up a great chance to shoot. The amount of overpassing this team continues to do is mind boggling and it's been a problem for years. It happens on the PP and everywhere else. They have odd man rushes and rather than shoot, they pass it. Case in point. The McD line. 3 on 2. McD has the puck in the middle and forces Vegas defenders to back in so McD has tons of time and space right in the middle of the slot. Great shooting position. He passes off to I think Yamo on his right. Yamo has the puck at the faceoff dot, with both McD AND KANE driving the net so another pretty darn good shooting spot. So rather than shoot, he fires a pass cross ice to Kane whos now at the corner of the net with not much to shoot at and I think he may have been able to direct the puck on goal for a weak ass shot.

So I would love it, if the coaches took the game tape, watched it after the game and just start charging guys for passing up good looks for moronic, poor percentage plays. Nothing bad ever happens if you put the puck on goal with guys going to the net. Worse case you force the goalie to make a good save. Best case it goes in, maybe it hits a defender or your guy and goes in or the goalie spits out a rebound to be banged in. Nothing bad happens when you shoot from a good spot. So I would charge them for every passed up shot and then donate the money to charity. But the amount of times these guy pass up good shots is ridiculous and it's a cancer that has spread to the entire team.

I know my post is super long but I needed to vent.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2022 09:39]

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799327 is a reply to message #799319 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think Bouchard needs to just let the hammer go. Take a note from Macinnnis, Progner, Souray. Break and ankle or two.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799311 is a reply to message #799280 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Fought the puck multiple times, have you seen the types of passes, just errant, and to many times a fancy pass to be missed by a forward because they aren't in sync.

Simplify the game man.

Just basics and get comfortable.

Shooter tutor might be actually helpful too. Nuge needs it more than anyone.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42) [message #799330 is a reply to message #799311 ]
Wed, 09 February 2022 12:43 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 09 February 2022 09:02

Fought the puck multiple times, have you seen the types of passes, just errant, and to many times a fancy pass to be missed by a forward because they aren't in sync.

Simplify the game man.

Just basics and get comfortable.

Shooter tutor might be actually helpful too. Nuge needs it more than anyone.

This team doesn't know how to play simple hockey. They haven't since the Hall years. It's been overpass, force things, only look for pretty goals for 10 yrs. The top guys being the worse offenders but even the 4th liners do it. They pass up so many wide open, premium looks to try low percentage passes. So many times a line could be changing but they will try to deke through 2, 3, 4 guys instead of just dumping it in. It looks to be beneath them to just put pucks on goal. Other teams do it every game and they get tips and pucks off skates and "bounces" all the time. The Oilers don't get many "bounces" but they sure get lots of highlight reel goals on the odd occasion they work. Not a damn thing about any of the Vegas goals last night were highlight reel or wow moments but man there were sure a few times when the Oilers came SOOO close to scoring a pretty goal where all 3 forward touched the puck and that backdoor tap in just missed the net.

The team needs a better goalie, the team could use a different mix on defense but until the main guys on this team willingly change how they play a little, won't make a difference.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2022 12:46]

Previous Topic:Worst of the Worst
Next Topic:GDT: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca